Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [FSN/Tsukihime AU] Solstice Reverse

Is there worth in falsehood?

STAGECRAFTER
    // Early Winter, 2007

Cornelius Alba had read once that heat of spices came in fact from the activation of the areas of the cerebrum dedicated to the sensation of pain. Voluntary and regular intake of such inherently evil foodstuffs as mapo tofu was thus in some sense equivalent to self-flagellation -- or more plainly stated, a method of deriving masochistic pleasure. Cornelius very much doubted that he himself classified as a masochist, but occasionally he wondered if it would be at all enlightening of his own character to look into the neural correlates of his addiction to bitter chocolates.

Unwrapping the golden foil about a Ghirardelli confectionery, he bit into the nearly-black surface, chewing slowly as he watched as the strands of light weave together above the formalcraft circle.

The Servant-summoning procedure of the Phantasmal Summer was a rather interesting piece of spellwork. Unlike typical thaumaturgy of the school of spiritual evocation, bottlenecking the rate of mana flow into the ring of binding did not result in spell failure. Instead, it directly modified the speed at which the Servant's corpus was materialized -- permitting the sort of slow-motion demonstration that he was now observing.

Cloth; leather; metal; flesh -- the end-product was irrelevant. If it was a feature of the Servant's body or armaments, it was uniformly fabricated through a weaving process not dissimilar to that employed by the mundanes in automated textile production.

Here, the material used was a monofilament wire formed of the Fifth Imaginary Element, which could be made to take on a variety of different properties at certain applications of odic energy and elemental exposure -- but to correctly format each segment of a wire some ten thousand kilometers long was monumentally difficult, and only moreso if the intent was to coordinate the assembly of a functional human simulacra. It was for this reason that the creators of the spell had been arrogant enough to leave flaws as easily-correctable as the mana bottleneck issue, essentially permitting the observation of their technique; simply, they didn't care. Even if one were to glimpse the sleight of hand beneath the facade, barring intense familiarity with the alchemical principles involved, replication was impossible.

'Classically Oriental dishonesty,' thought Cornelius, working through the remainder of his chocolate with a smile. 'It's amazing that the Eltnams haven't been called out on it in all these years. And somehow, the third-rates just buy into it like children after jolly old Saint Nick.'

In truth, no 'Heroic Spirit' could literally be summoned within the ring of binding; the Phantasmal Summer was nothing so fancy. Through the arbitration system of the War -- the Grand Ritual that the Eltnams had built in the city's bowels -- data pertaining to a given legendary personage would be gathered via lower-order access to the Moon Cell. Per record, a faithful artificial likeness would be constructed, and thereon installed with an emulation of personality. A Servant was, in short, literally no more than a spool of wire animated through alchemical transaction; a marionette.

Who better to wield such a weapon than a puppeteer?

Said the figure in the plague mask who now stood completed at the center of the ring: "I shall be the one to serve as the Rider of this War. I ask of you: Are you my Master?"

The empty golden wrapping of Cornelius' chocolate bar burst into cyan flames in his open palm.

"Yes, indeed," he said, giving a toothy grin.

//

It was early in the month, but already the storekeepers of the shopping arcade were putting up Christmas decorations, complete with unrealistic cotton snow and holiday-themed store jingles.

Most of them knew, however, that there probably wouldn't be a White Christmas this year; for the past three weeks, temperatures hadn't fallen beneath twenty-eight degrees. Nevertheless, the men and women busied themselves with preparations. It was for the kiddies and the young people, they reasoned. Wouldn't do to let customers down just because the weather was being disagreeable.

Before the entrance display at a toy store, a small boy tugged at his mother's skirt and pointed at a television that sat between the cute-looking plush dolls of a beaked character and a blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl. On screen, a trailer was being played for the joint European-Japanese animation from which the the two had originated: Pucci et Jeanne, which fictionalized the adventures of Jeanne d'Arc and her companion angel.

"Can I have a Ponchi, Mama?" he asked.

"It's pronounced 'Pu-chi,' dear," said his mother, "and maybe if you're good, Santa will bring you one for Christmas."

Seeing the dejected expression on the child's face, a staff member that had been looking on picked up a plastic box from behind the cash register and walked over.

"Um, I don't mean to disturb you," she said, holding the box before her to show the Pucci plushie within, "but we're actually giving these away right now. It's part of a promotion we're doing, since the original creator of Pucci et Jeanne is holding an event at the Misaki Expo the week before Christmas. Five of these giveaway boxes contain a golden VIP ticket to go meet Mister Alba in person, for free."

The boy gaped in awe as the young, bespectacled woman handed him box.

"Mister Alba is coming to Japan?" he asked loudly.

"Yep," replied the young woman. "And you might just be one of the five kids lucky enough to go see him!"

The mother nodded thankfully at the store clerk, and put her hand on her son's shoulder.

"What do you say to the nice lady, Kenta?" she asked.

"Thank you, big sister!" shouted the boy, ecstatic. "I think you're very pretty, just like Joan!"

The young woman smiled back at him, brushing her long, blond bangs from the side of her face.

"I get that a lot."

//

RIDER // "The Professor"
    master: Cornelius Alba
    alignment: lawful evil

strength: E
    endurance: E
    agility: E
    mana: B
    luck: E

???

skills

Magecraft, Rank B: Proficiency with modern magecraft, as appropriate of one assigned a Sealing Designation of 'Philosopher'; special proficiency in the thaumaturgical animation of marionettes at significant range.

Territory Creation, Rank B: Capacity to establish an 'Atelier' -- a concealed, bounded territory that serves the Servant's needs as a magus.

Item Construction, Rank C: Capacity to construct, repair, or modify thaumaturgical marionettes of functional equivalence to Noble Phantasms of Rank C or below.

Puppetry, Rank A: Mastery over conventional and nonconventional puppetry. At this level, the Servant possesses such skill that in movement alone, his marionettes might be indistinguishable from living creatures. With thaumaturgical support, the Servant is capable of effectively inhabiting or 'riding' his creations.

Riding, Rank B: Most vehicles and live mounts can be handled with significant proficiency; special proficiency in the use of mechanical mounts or marionettes. However, the Servant is incapable of riding Phantasmal Beasts.

noble phantasms

???
    Last edited by fallacies; July 1st, 2012 at 07:46 AM.

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    .........Cornellius fucking Alba? Are you fucking insane? What the fucking fuck, man? Just what the fuck?!

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    The amazing magicktier

Cornellius Alba

Cornellius Alba

The amazing magicktier
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Grant's Avatar
    I thought he could have been cool if they didn't need him to be the evil blonde foreigner to make Araya better in comparison. I can think of a few people from the time implied who could be Caster, but none connected to puppets.

Anyway there are very good reasons those rules exist. Letting this war get out of hand puts the entire planet in potential danger and that tends to get a heavy handed response. Also it ensures that the magus who bends and breaks them has few friends.

@Grant: I'm not entirely sure which rules you're referring to?

CLOCKWORK // December 6th, 2007

The clocks were running on time.

Before Tohsaka Rin, the figure that had manifested was short of stature and, most notably, female. As if the Moon Cell was of a mind to further rub salt to Rin's insecurities, the Servant's crimson dress looked to have been cut with an intent to accentuate the useless lumps of meat that sat upon her chest.

Bright green eyes opened, and the Servant smiled.

"I have come before you as the Saber of this War," she declared. "Will you accept the honor of serving as my Master?"

Temporarily putting her doubts out of mind, Rin stated in as firm a voice as possible, "My name is Tohsaka Rin, and I entrust myself to your care."

At her word, the glow of the formalcraft circle inscribed upon the floor flared brightly before dying down. Prana-sharing was initiated, and Rin felt a tingle in her right hand as her Command Seal changed in hue, shifting from brown to blood red.

"In return, I shall deign to recognize you as my equal," said Saber, beaming brightly. "As a show of goodwill, I pledge hereby to commit the fullness of my unparalleled intellect toward attaining victory. Your every expectation shall be exceeded beyond imagining!"

While the harmlessly bombastic bluster wasn't grating in particular, going on the Servant's mannerisms alone, Rin privately imagined that she hadn't had many friends in life.

Aloud, she said, "I've actually drawn up a basic outline of how we'll be going about the War, but before I finalize them, I'll need to know your true identity, as well as the features of any notable abilities or Noble Phantasms you possess."

Momentarily, the Servant's expression dropped -- almost too quickly for Rin to catch.

"Non-non," Saber replied, shaking her finger with a smile. "It is a worthy endeavor that you seek to plot our course, Praetor, but knowledge of the name of my birth would hardly be of strategic value to your efforts. You may rest assured that the Arbiter of the Phantasmal Summer qualifies only the greatest of warriors to be summoned in the capacity of the class Saber. Suffice to say, my genius in the martial disciplines permits that I be uncontested in melee combat."

Refusal to name herself? Saber's behavior was at once self-effacing and highly arrogant -- a very suspicious mixture. While the small Servant didn't look to be the treacherous sort, Rin felt it would nevertheless be prudent to look discreetly into her identity. Applying the Master's Perspective when the girl engaged a Noble Phantasm would probably prove enlightening.

"Alright," she said. "We'll do it your way."

//

Outside, a plastic Jeanne figurine leapt to the ground from a windowsill and walked mechanically toward the edge of the garden.

The layered bounded field about the Tohsaka vacation home had been erected nearly a century ago, purposed specifically to warding the property from intrusion by objects and creatures that bore a prana load. Its creators would have never guessed that a purely animate automaton entirely untouched by thaumaturgy might one day serve as an infiltrator ...

//

On a shopping street in downtown Misaki, a young woman in a sun-dress the color of hyacinths peered at a super-deformed Jeanne plushie that sat in the window display of a bookstore. With a somber, confused expression, she tilted her head slightly, causing her hair to fall before one of her eyes.

"Is there something wrong, Ai?"

The girl turned to the source of the voice -- an effeminate albino child that looked to be on the cusp of puberty, seated in a wheelchair a short distance behind her.

"No, Master," she replied. "I must have been imagining things."

"Be sure to maintain an awareness of our surroundings," the child reprimanded lightly. "Also, you should remember to refer to me either as 'brother' or 'sister' in public. I don't sense any familiars about at the moment, but our opponents will undoubtedly be seeking us. It is of utmost importance that we maintain low profile for as long as possible."

"I understand, sister," said the girl, nodding.

Returning to the rear of the wheelchair, the girl began to push it along again, and the pair resumed their slow progress down the street. When they had gone, an infrared camera installed behind the eye of the plushie rotated its lens, unnoticed.

//

In a derelict confectionery factory once operated by the Meiji Dairies Corporation, Cornelius Alba stood laughing in a large chamber lined floor to ceiling with aging televisions. On the screens, live video feeds of locations all over the city were displayed.

"Did you see that, Rider!?" he exclaimed. "The Fulcanelli, here in Misaki to participate in the War! The harvest this year shall be utterly exquisite!"

Beside him, the Servant of the Chariot materialized, clad still in the garb of a plague doctor.

"I know not the significance of this person, Master," it said in a voice of indeterminate gender, "but it would seem that you are disproportionately concerned over the success of your project. Should you not invest yourself equally in pursuing the Fruit of Knowledge?"

"Doesn't interest me in the least," he said dismissively, waving his hand. "The promise of the Fruit is a prime piece of bait, but it really isn't much more than that. Any knowledge it could possibly offer, I can probably obtain through my own efforts. Seriously going after it as a primary objective is a waste of a golden opportunity."

"Opportunity?"

"The Phantasmal Summer is one of the few occasions where the Association sanctions open aggression against members of the nobility without reprisal. In other words, it would be perfectly legal for me to go about harvesting the crests of any major lineage gullible enough to send their heir. You want the Fruit? You can have it. I'll be going after a far more practical prize."

Appearing to consider his words, Rider turned to face the exit.

"I thank you for your generosity, Master," it said. "I take my leave now to complete our preparations."

With that, the Servant's body unraveled, and Cornelius was left to the company of his televisions.

'A true genius at his chosen craft,' he thought, 'but somewhat lacking in social intelligence.' Popping a piece of chocolate into his mouth, his smile grew malevolent. 'As if I would give up access to the Moon Cell to a mere marionette.'

//

SABER // Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus (AD 37–68)
    master: Tohsaka Rin
    alignment: chaotic good

strength: A
    endurance: B
    agility: B
    mana: B

The 5th Imperator of the Roman Empire; the last of the Julio-Claudian dynasty; the woman who came to be vilified as the Whore of Babylon and the 666th Beast. Beneath the fearsome reputation, however, might there be the soul of an innocent ... ?

skills

Magic Resistance, Rank C: Capacity to cancel spells of two lines of chant or less; capacity to generally resist magecraft below the level of high thaumaturgy. The Servant was not possessed of significant magic resistance in life, and her rank in this skill was awarded to her by the Arbiter of the Phantasmal Summer upon her summoning as the Servant of the Sword.

Imperial Privelege, Rank EX: Owing to the irregular strength of the Servant's conviction in her agency as Imperator, at high prana expenditure (up to 40% of the Servant's prana stores), she is capable of emulating skills outside of her possession up to a proficiency of Rank B for a very limited duration. May be utilized at no additional cost if activated in tandem with Aestus Domus Aurea, boosting emulated proficiency to a maximum of A+. Similar to Protection of the Faith, a high rank in this skill is associated with the distortion of the personality. (In general, the Servant prefers to emulate Riding, Charisma, and Military Tactics.)

Headache Sufferer, Rank B: A divine curse invoked upon the Servant by the Eumenides on her deceased mother's behalf, which inficts upon her chronic headaches of such intensity that skills associated with the mental faculties (such as Eye for Art) are expressed at reduced proficiency.

Eye for Art, Rank D (B): Owing to the Servant's abundant experience as a patron, collector, and creator of the arts, she is capable of discerning the names and properties of Noble Phantasms that bear worth as aesthetic masterworks; however, this ability is limited only to the identification of objects crafted prior to the Servant's era of origination. Due to the activation of the skill Headache Sufferer, Eye for Art functions at reduced proficiency; identification of a Noble Phantasm requires a successful Luck Roll, except in the circumstance that the Aestus Domus Aurea is manifested.

noble phantasms

Aestus Estus // The Primordial Flame, Rank - (B), Anti-Unit
    A crooked, scarlet longsword crafted by the Servant's own hand, bearing the inscription 'regnum caelorum et gehenna.' By the Servant's limited expertise in the high thaumaturgy of the late Age of Divinities, the blade has been imbued with aspect of sunfire, which may be activated on application of prana. Careful modulation of temperature permits the emission of a wide variety of musical noises when the edge cuts through the air. Though, strictly speaking, the Aestus Estus is a normal thaumaturgical instrument, in its capacity as a bladed weapon, it is equivalent to a Rank B Noble Phantasm

Aestus Domus Aurea // The Lair of the 666th Beast, Rank EX, Support Type
    Via high thaumaturgy of the late Age of Divinities, a domed theater constructed by the Servant in life is carefully replicated as an inescapable bounded territory, similar in nature to a Reality Marble. Within the artificial domain, the skill of Imperial Privelege may be executed once at no additional cost, permitting the emulation of skills outside of the Servant's possession up to a proficiency of A+. However, the activation of this Noble Phantasm consumes roughly 80% of the Servant's total prana stores. Also referred to as "The Territory of Absolute Imperial Privelege."
    Last edited by fallacies; July 2nd, 2012 at 06:02 PM.

Masters & Servants, Snippet #7

Tohno Sakura // Assassin - Li Shuwen
    Trhvmn Ortenrosse // Lancer - Vlad III of Wallachia
    Tohsaka Rin // Saber - Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus
    Fulcanelli // Archer - Aias of the Hyacinth
    Cornelius Alba // Rider - "the Professor"
    ??? // Caster - ???
    ??? // Berserker - ???

//

ARCHER // Aias of the Hyacinth
    master: Fulcanelli
    alignment: chaotic neutral

strength: A+
    endurance: D
    agility: B
    mana: C

Shield-maiden to Agamemnon; princess of Salamis. Though of average stature and a shy disposition, her immense physical strength and keen combat intuition placed her as a warrior second only to Achilles amongst the Achaeans that fought in the Trojan War.

In the final stages of the war, however, Aias' half-brother, Teucer -- with whom she shared a very close bond -- came to be gravely injured, and he was thereafter retired from the field. In the knowledge that the armor of the fallen Achilles had been imbued with restorative properties that might save him, Aias embarked upon a mission to recover the item from the Trojans -- but on successful recapture, the Achaean leadership voted to award the armor to her partner Odysseus. At a loss, she returned to visit her brother in the camp of the healers, but found there that her actions had actually been in vain from the start; Teucer's condition had worsened as she departed for Troy, and he had passed on shortly thereafter. Overwhelmed by sorrow, Aias left the camp, telling the healers only that she desired to a brief respite to purify the sword she had obtained from the Trojan prince Hector earlier in the war. Once alone in the wilderness, she pierced her throat with the blade, thinking to join Teucer in death ...

skills

Independent Action, Rank A: Capacity to survive for up to seven days without the support of a Master. However, an ample supply of pranic energy is required to activate Noble Phantasms of significant cost.

Magic Resistance, Rank C: Capacity to cancel spells of two lines of chant or less; capacity to generally resist magecraft below the level of high thaumaturgy.

Eye of the Mind (False), Rank A: An innate intuition that permits the detection and aversion of potential dangers, borne of a lifetime of combat experience. At this rank, penalties incurred against the effectiveness of the skill as a result of visual obstructions may be somewhat negated on a successful Luck Roll.

Bravery, Rank B: Capacity to negate certain forms of mental interference; ineffective against fascination and confusion.

noble phantasms

Logche Petra // Titan's Dagger, Rank C, Support Type
    A technique of lower-order divine thaumaturgy, imparted to the Servant by the centaur Kheiron. At the utterance of a single divine word, the Servant is capable of forming a composite lance from any stone-based materials available within her environment. Upon completion, the weapon classifies as a Rank C Noble Phantasm. This technique may be performed repeatedly at no prana cost. The lances created through this technique are employed by the Servant as her standard offensive armaments.

Rho Aias // The Seven Rings that Cover the Fiery Heavens, Rank A, Support Type
    A conceptual weapon of absolute defense, which takes the form of a seven-layered bounded field in the shape of an iridescent flower. On deployment, it requires a continuous supply of prana; and if the individual layers are overwhelmed, the user experiences sympathetic damage. Though the Noble Phantasm was intended as a shield, the Servant's immense strength permits her to apply it to a hidden, secondary purpose, temporarily compromising its defensive capabilities: By physically pulling back at the center of the field matrix, stone lances generated via Logche Petra may be 'knotched' and ejected as Anti-Fortress projectiles with the Noble Phantasm's reassertion of form. The massive boost in velocity increases the damage dealt by the lances by one rank, but they are annihilated on impact.
    Last edited by fallacies; July 3rd, 2012 at 10:15 PM.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Cornelius is being smart for once, I see. Things seem to be speeding up some...

How many of the Servant's pasts are we going to see, through flashbacks and such? Some of them seem to be quite interesting if they've been reinterpreted.

Ayakashi of Boundaries Yakumo-san's Avatar
    Nero Saber is here. I approve.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    I like your version of Aias, Fallacy. Glad to see Willy Wonka not hold the Idiot Ball too.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

But which is the mask that the maiden has donned?

LA PUCELLE
    // 6 Months Ago

There are facades -- the masks by which individuals interact with society.

A high school boy -- apparently middling in all respects -- may be known to his peers and instructors as a considerate young man, willing to render aid to anyone in need. For his unremarkable athletic abilities, the members of his Archery Club don't hold him to any particular expectations in performance -- and were he to put forth a good effort and attain a rank of medium-high in the nationals, he'd likely be met with congratulations and good-natured encouragement, as is proper. For an average individual, after all, such a thing is an achievement worthy of praise.

But the boy's casual acquaintances might have some difficulty parsing his routine of waking at four every morning to undertake a ten-kilometer run -- nearly at the pace of a professional athlete. If they were further aware that his ability with the bow far exceeds that which he demonstrates at practice, they would be perplexed -- perhaps disturbed.

'Why this dishonesty?' they might ask, vaguely betrayed. 'Aren't we friends?'

And even if he were to explain to them his every action or motive, they wouldn't comprehend. The fact that his morning jogs terminate at a run-down apartment complex in the slums would merely invite suspicion -- and moreso if anyone were to witness the skill with which he conducts maintenance upon the numerous firearms kept there, securely under lock in the basement. The persona of the innocuous student would by this point appear to be rather inauthentic -- a fabrication possibly put into place to conceal a dangerous criminal. In Japan, the possession of arms is taken quite seriously.

What really lies beneath the mask? A monster? A social deviant? A terrorist? The empty boy who answers to the name of 'Emiya Shirou' has long since ceased to care. Before him, there is only the journey and the destination, and all of the preparations he has yet to complete.

For now, he can afford to stumble, but if he misses the call when the time comes, there will be no making it good again -- not ever.

//

His irises -- normally a dull, brown color -- presently glowed with faint crimson light.

On the bare brick wall in front of him, there was a ring of symbols, written in prana; the last of thirteen formalcraft circles randomly projected into existence by the anchors of the bounded field. Left intact, it would continuously spawn wraiths at irregular intervals.

Raising his gun, he pulled the trigger three times in quick succession.

The weapon he held was an Umarex air-gun -- a modified SA177. A much larger clip of steel ball bearings than typical occupied the internals of the gun grip, but at the expense of the carbon dioxide reservoir that would normally permit the expulsion of projectiles. In the hands of a mundane, the gun wouldn't be able to shoot a thing; but a magus might notice that the trigger was cast of Azoth, a prana-conducive metal. With sufficient skill in the manipulation of raw odic energy, the chamber could be flooded with a well-timed kinetic burst on trigger-pull -- 'manually' ejecting a round of fire with a coating of prana.

The slight physical damage dealt by the BBs to the wall was irrelevant, though. To his target, it was the coating that mattered. A formalcraft circle retained stability only if the thaumaturgical system that empowered it could recognize a pattern in the energy aligned. If coherence were disturbed in any significant manner -- as by the prana he'd invested in the three BBs -- the array would lose effect and quickly undergo degradation, much like a low-level wraith.

A prana formation that didn't produce a spell was, after all, merely prana.

Satisfied with his work, he turned away, making to holster his weapon. As he was about to cut off the feed of prana to his eyes, peripheral vision caught the movement of something orange from behind him.

He wasn't quick enough to respond. A lazily tossed ping-pong ball inscribed with a triangle of runes collided with his shirt, and the circuits in his right arm and shoulder were suddenly inflicted with an immense, burning pain. Collapsing to his knees as the ball bounced harmlessly away, he grimaced and clutched his shoulder. The slow, repetitive tapping of a metallic crutch-cane approached, stopping beside him.

"If that were a bullet, you would be dead. Your situational awareness still needs work."

Shirou looked upwards, into the sad, lightless eyes of the middle-aged man who stood before him.

"How am I doing for time?" asked the boy.

"Forty-two minutes for sixty-five wraiths and thirteen circles," said Emiya Kiritsugu, pulling a fresh cigarette from the pocket of his overcoat. "Not too bad, but you should really try to keep it under half an hour. I'll be increasing the number of circles by one starting tomorrow."

Shirou thinned his lips and nodded. There was less than half a year left, and he would have to make the best of his time.

"It's nearly five thirty," said the older man. "Get yourself cleaned up. We should start heading back soon."

//

To Tohno Sakura, there was no inherent falsehood to any facade; any sort of tatamae. A persona and the motives behinds its fabrication were a single, intertwined existence -- a raw, authentic expression of some desire, pressed forth to provoke a particular response from the members of society.

Truly, there wasn't a face in the world that didn't qualify as a mask of some sort.

"Don't give me that, you little bitch," said the leader of three older girls, holding Sakura against the wall by her uniform collar and fixing her with a glare. "I saw you and Oosawa-sensei coming out of the counseling room together yesterday afternoon. Explain yourself, or I promise you'll regret it."

It was tough front presented out of obvious insecurity, judged Sakura. The second-year was afraid of losing her man to the younger model, but lacked the intelligence to notice his blatant promiscuity. Honestly, it was somewhat amusing; the girl couldn't even bring herself to bully without a backup.

Aloud, she stuttered fearfully, "I- I wasn't trying anything ... Honest! I have a class with him, and I was just ... just asking him about an assignment!"

Technically, it was true, but Sakura had done a lot more with Oosawa than merely speak. At the least, she'd ensured a curve on her grades for the next few units, freeing up potential study time for other, extracurricular purposes. It wasn't in her plans to come clean to the second-year, though.

"One more chance," said the second-year, pulling sharply at Sakura's hair.

This level of pain wasn't anything special, but Sakura willed the wetness to gather within her eyes. It wouldn't be long now. He was approaching.

"I ... I really didn't," she sobbed. "Please ... please, let me go ... it hurts ..."

"Let up, Sanae," said the second girl, sounding a bit worried. "I think she really means it."

"There's somebody coming," added the third, nervously. "We should-"

"Hey!" called a boy's voice, angrily. "Leave her alone!"

The leader of the three girls let go of Sakura's hair, glaring at her one more time before rushing after her friends down the corridor. The caller -- a red haired boy -- ran up.

"Are you alright, Sakura?"

Rubbing the tears from her eyes, she nodded.

"I'll be fine, Sempai."

Emiya Shirou. Shinji's best friend, and the one person aside from her grandfather that Sakura couldn't read. Males in general tended to think with their lower bodies, and if they acted nicely toward a girl, there was usually some ulterior motive involved. Shirou, however, only ever exhibited a pure, unconditional benevolence, wholly free of any hint of vice. Either he had so utterly mastered his tatamae that the underlying honne couldn't be perceived at all; or, to begin with, no tatamae had ever been formulated, and he was truly a saint. Sakura couldn't decide which was less likely.

Tohno Sakura was many things, but a naive innocent she was not. The cruel, unforgiving world she had known growing up had been built of pain and pleasure, power and despair; and by all rights, she should've been able to dismiss Emiya Shirou as a yet another common hypocrite, unworthy of further consideration. Instead, she'd found him oddly intriguing.

Pacing shyly in step behind him as he led her back to her homeroom, she wondered if it was a sort of infatuation that she felt. What had built up within her in the year that she had known him was definitely a sensation of need, closer to love than hatred -- but she found that she held little desire to engage him in acts of tenderness, besides as a means to an end.

'No,' she decided, rubbing her thighs together as they walked. 'What I really want is to know what he's like beneath that facade. I want to see the look upon his face when his ideals comes crashing down around him, and he's forced to drop his act.'

Conscious of the growingly moist nakedness beneath her skirt, she permitted herself a small, genuine smile.

'And when his despair is complete, he won't be able to resist me anymore.'

//

It was five minutes to the hour when Emiya Shirou sat himself down in the classroom. He'd reported the three girls bullying Tohno Sakura to the disciplinary head per school regulations, but it had taken some persuasion to convince the man to handle the incident delicately. Finality was ever only a final resort, and a permanent mark on the transcript wouldn't help anyone learn from their mistakes.

At the eight o'clock bell, the class representative directed them to stand and bow, and the homeroom teacher began her announcements.

"If you all recall what I said on Friday last week, we have a new student joining our class today," she said. "Please introduce yourself, Miss Kronstadt."

A slender Caucasian girl with straight black hair entered the classroom at the teacher's prompting, and several of the more rowdy male students whistled at her. In physical beauty alone, she was indeed quite attractive, but Shirou was immediately placed on high guard. Though her odic signature wasn't prominent enough that he'd noticed anything off when she was out in the hall, at their current proximity, he could tell that there was something distinctly inhuman about her, and that she was suppressing a significant part of her strength.

Writing her name across the blackboard in a row of katakana, the girl set down her chalk and turned to face the class.

"My name is Altrouge Kronstadt," she said, smiling with calm confidence. "We'll be classmates for the remainder of the school year, and so I look forward to getting to know all of you! I trust myself to your care!"

The last part was spoken directly after meeting Shirou's gaze, and he steeled himself from giving a disproportional response even as he clapped to welcome the girl with his classmates.

When the applause finally ceased, the teacher said, "For the time being, Miss Kronstadt, we'll be seating you at the empty desk at the back of the second column. The seating arrangement will be changed in roughly two weeks, and so if you find yourself unable to read the board, I'll assign you to a closer spot then. Would that be alright?"

"Not a problem, Ms. Kishi," she replied, nodding politely. "Thank you very much."

Passing Shirou's desk on the way to her seat, she grinned at him briefly and casually dropped a folded note on his desk without breaking pace. Confirming that there wasn't any prana invested, he made certain that the teacher was looking in another direction before unfolding it.

'Your sister, Emiya Rani,' said the note in neat, well-practiced handwriting. 'If your desire is to deliver her from the War, perhaps we could collaborate. - A.B.'

Emiya Shirou narrowed his eyes.
    Last edited by fallacies; July 13th, 2012 at 08:55 AM.

Ayakashi of Boundaries Yakumo-san's Avatar
    I nearly spilled the water I was drinking on the keyboard when I read "Sanae"... otherwise... just as planned. *snickers*
    The approval rate of Kotomine for Shirou's as Kiritsugu's son would be higher than ever.

TIMELINE to Snippet #8

1871 - Resurrection of Crimson Moon
    Death of Kischur Zelretch Schweinorg
    Fall of the House Einzbern

- 1st Phantasmal Summer
    Death of Zakariya Eltnam Merovech

13th Dead Apostle Ancestor vanishes in England
    TATARI succeeds the seat of the 13th

1934 - 2nd Phantasmal Summer
    Death of Li Shuwen

Death of Tohsaka Eiji

1969 - 3rd Phantasmal Summer

1997 - 4th Phantasmal Summer
    Death of Tohsaka Tokiomi
    Death of Uryuu Ryuunosuke
    Death of Tohno Kariya
    Death of Kayneth Archibald, the Lord El-Melloi
    Death of Hisau Maiya
    Death of Anthy Eltnam Titania IV
    Death of Kotomine Risei

2007 - 5th Phantasmal Summer

June 13: Altrouge Brunestud arrives in Misaki

November 11: Cornelius Alba arrives in Misaki
    November 13: ARCHER summoned by Fulcanelli
    November 14: RIDER summoned by Cornelius Alba
    November 18: LANCER summoned by Trhvmn Ortenrosse
    November 29: ASSASSIN summoned by Tohno Sakura

December 5: Tohsaka Rin visits Tohsaka Aoi in hospital
    December 6: SABER summoned by Tohsaka Rin
    Trhvmn Ortenrosse arrives in Misaki; encounters Tohsaka Aoi

//

Known Masters & Servants, 4th Phantasmal Summer

Emiya Kiritsugu // SABER - Jeanne d'Arc
    Uryuu Ryuunosuke // CASTER - Gilles de Rais
    Tohno Kariya // ASSASSIN - Salome
    Kotomine Kirei // BERSERKER - Spartacus
    Kayneth Archibald El-Melloi // RIDER - Iskander
    Last edited by fallacies; July 30th, 2012 at 04:56 AM.

Hahaha! So Jeanne is running around having survived the events of this alternate Grail War? Hmm... what would substitute the Grail corruption here? This is speaking as a person who hasn't played Extra.

@ Curious Stranger: The Moon Cell is not inherently tainted, but it has a will of its own, and its actions are not entirely unbiased. This "will" functions in a manner similar to the corruption of the Fuyuki Grail.
    Last edited by fallacies; July 12th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    So Kiritsugu is still alive? Interesting. So far I found the Shiki parts to be the most interesting. The Shirou one being a close second, since Kiritsugu is still alive. Wonder who Shirou will summon with Caster and Berserker as the only ones left. Or maybe he'll end up as a "third party". Not sure if I want to trade Ilya for Rani, but wonder what's going with her.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I love the shifting viewpoints that are going on in the fic. It takes a relatively high amount of skill to pull this kind of thing off well. You seem to have the requisite amount of skill. The content is a good blend of Tsukihime and Fate from what I can see, and I do like the fact that the Fourth Phantasmal Summer was largely the same as the Fourth Grail War. Moon Cell is in effect, and Arc is the 'Grail' of the war. This seems to be worth the time to follow. FIGHT ON! MII NIPAH~

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting. Though I must admit that Shirou remains the most interesting character for me. I may care what other chars do, but not what they are. Not like with Shirou. Write on, fallacy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, Sakura seems way too scheming and nasty here.

YEAAAAAAAAHHHHHH---!!!!!! DreamsRequiem's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    714, 551,159
    Blog Entries
    That's because it's not Matou Sakura, it's Tohno Sakura.

The Lycopocalypse: Click at your own risk
    FGO NA Support:

IGN: Kurama Satou