Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Arrow

Broken Arrow

Table of Contents

​Chapter I - Next Post

- - - Updated - - -

Disclaimer: I do not own Fate/Stay Night.

Chapter I – Touched by Moonlight

“There, all done.”

Emiya Shirou sighed in satisfaction as he put the finishing touches to the heater and put down his tools, it hadn’t been difficult but it was still satisfying when a job was done well. Slowly he laid down his tools and then stood up and stretched, he’d been hunched over for the last hour or so, looking out the window of the student council room he could see the majority of the students starting to head towards their homerooms. As he busy easing his slightly cramped back muscles he heard the noise of a chair being pushed back and someone rising to their feet.

“Thank you Emiya, you really are a life-saver,” spoke Ryuudo Issei, the student counsel president and Shirou’s current best friend.

“It was nothing, I was happy to help,” replied Shirou, packing away his tools and shutting the case, “It was easy enough to fix and should last through this winter but it’s old, you’ll need to replace it soon.” Well, while it was true that the problem itself was easy enough to fix, most people probably would’ve spent quite a long time trying to find it, but Shirou was able to “cheat”.

“I see, thank you anyway,” Issei sighed, “The truth is we’ve been having budget issues so we’re trying to make everything last as long as possible.” He moved towards the door and held it open for Shirou as the two of them stepped out into the hallway.

“Speaking of which,” he continued. “Will you be able to give me help with something else after school?” Shirou was almost about to automatically agree to the request, when he remembered he’d already made arrangements for later.

“Sorry Issei. I already promised the archery club I’d help them.”

“I see,” Issei responded. “That’s fine but Emiya, don’t you think you’re being a little too nice? People will take advantage of you if you keep spoiling them.”

“They’re just having a hard time because the third-years are gone.”

Issei sighed in a way that was half amused and half exasperated.

“I’d protest but you’ve always been like that.”

Shirou mentally shrugged, it was after all the truth. Although it wasn’t just that he enjoyed helping people but that for as long as he could remember, he hadn’t been able to ignore anyone who needed help. Even if it was over something relatively minor, like cleaning a dojo.

He had to hang around a bit after school waiting for the archery club to finish practice, so by the time he made his way over to the dojo it was already close to sunset. He’d made sure to let Fuji-nee know what he was doing as well, so she’d have to find somewhere else to get fed tonight. He was expecting the club members to have gone home and the dojo to be empty by the time he got there. So when he first entered he almost didn’t notice the person standing at the other end of the hall watching the doorway, until she spoke up.

“Yo Emiya!”

“Mitsuzuri?” he responded. “Why are you still here?” Sure enough it was Mitsuzuri Ayako standing opposite him. She had already changed out of the gi and hakama of the archery club uniform and back into the regular school uniform.

“Well, I heard that Shinji had convinced you into helping clean the dojo and didn’t want to leave you to do it by yourself. Really, you shouldn’t let people take advantage of you like that Emiya,” she answered, although the smile on her face made Shirou deeply wary, he had a sneaky suspicion on why she was really here. Mitsuzuri was the captain of the archery club and she had been trying to convince him to re-join ever since he had quit, and with the two of them alone for a while like this, it would be the perfect opportunity to try and persuade him.

“Well, shall we get on with it?” Mitsuzuri asked, “I don’t want to be here all night.”

“…All right.”

He wasn’t disappointed. It wasn’t even ten minutes before she made her first attempt.

“I’m not interested, Mitsuzuri.”

“Emiya, if you’re going to be doing the boring parts like cleaning the dojo, anyway, then you might as well do the fun part too.”

“Weren’t you the one who just said that I shouldn’t let people take advantage of me?”

“I’m not taking advantage of you! I’m just trying to help you pursue something you were so obviously good at.”

“Still not interested.”

Despite the minor arguing, with the two of them working together things progressed faster than Shirou had originally expected and eventually the two of them were done. He straightened his back, wiped the sweat from his brow and turned to face Mitsuzuri who looked a little downcast that she hadn’t managed to complete her obvious objective. Seeing her like that Shirou actually felt bad that he hadn’t acceded to her request to sign back up but being part of the archery club would be useless to him at this point; although, he could see why the club captain would miss having a member who had only ever missed the target once.

He waited by the door as Mitsuzuri grabbed her bag and coat. Night had fallen properly now and despite her tomboyish nature Mitsuzuri was still a girl, he didn’t much like the idea of letting her walk home alone in the dark. He wasn’t sure how she would respond, she might agree simply because it would give her more time to try and persuade him. He opened the door for her as she approached and the two of them stepped out into the cool night air. He turned to her to extend his offer of walking her home, when something else caught both their attentions.

It was a heavy, rhythmic clanging, like someone pounding metal against metal and it sounded like it was coming from the direction of the practice fields just around the corner. Shirou was torn, on the one hand he wanted to go investigate just in case it was someone in trouble but on the other hand he had Mitsuzuri with him and he didn’t want to bring her into a situation that could potentially be dangerous. The decision was made for him when the girl in question slowly began to creep towards the sound.

“Mitsuzuri!” he whispered but she either didn’t hear him, or decided to ignore him. With no other choice he followed close behind her.

She reached the corner before he did and he heard her gasp and then freeze in place. A feeling of dread formed a heavy weight in his stomach and his skin began to tingle as he crept forward to see what she had seen and when he did he gasped too.

There were two men fighting, one in red wielding a black sword and a white sword. The other man was in blue and wielded a red spear that pulsed almost like it was alive, for some reason that weapon sent a chill down Shirou’s spine. The way the two of them moved was beyond human, the attacked and defended and weaved in and out of each others strikes at a speed Shirou’s eyes could barely keep up with. There was no doubt in his mind that magic was involved here and he was way out of his depth.

“Tohsaka?” he heard Mitsuzuri whisper next to him.

It was then that Shirou noticed the third, female figure standing there and his companion was right, it definitely looked like Tohsaka. The school idol was standing far closer to the combatants than the two of them were and although she looked to be in awe she also appeared to be trying to concentrate. Did that mean Tohsaka was a magus?!

Suddenly he was struck by a sudden terrible realization, this was a blatant display of magic and Mitsuzuri had seen it! He knew the rules of the Magic Association and he knew that a lot of magi always went for the more fatal option. He had to get Mitsuzuri out of here before either of those two noticed her. Carefully he crept closer to her and placed a hand on her shoulder.

“Mitsuzuri,” he whispered as loudly as he dared.

“What the…” she said in a voice that was far to close to its normal volume.

A dreadful feeling washed over Shirou and slowly he turned to face the extraordinary scene again, to find the man in blue looking directly at them.

Without thinking he grabbed Mitsuzuri’s hand and took off in the direction of the school gates.

“E-Emiya?!” she yelped but he ignored her. Now was really not the time to be explaining things.

When they left the school grounds he made sure to stick to the main, well-lit streets. He doubted anyone would be around at this hour but he hoped it would still discourage that guy from showing himself, keeping magic a secret was the first rule of the association. He was also taking Mitsuzuri to his home, he couldn’t let her go home now, she’d be defenceless against a man like that and it might put the rest of her family in danger. At least at his house they’d have the ward his father had erected when he’d been alive and Shirou’s own meagre skills. If worst came to worst he could hold that guy off while Mitsuzri escaped, protecting her had to be his top priority right now.

When they finally arrived at his house both of them were sweaty and out of breath having ran the whole way. Shirou’s legs burned because of the exertion and he couldn’t believe that Mitsuzuri was faring much better.

“Emiya, what the hell was that?!”

He started to respond when once again he felt a sense of wrongness wash over him. This time he knew what it was, someone had breached the wards around the house. He sensed something above them and instinctively pushed Mitsuzuri out of the way and dived to the side himself. The man in blue descended from the ceiling, his spear crushing the floor when it made contact. Once again without thinking Shirou reached out for something, anything, he could use as a weapon. The first thing he laid his hand on was the poster Fuji-nee had given him that morning, it was still rolled up. He flooded it his prana increasing its durability and raised it before him like a sword, before leaping forward and a swinging it at his opponent’s head. He had to keep this guy’s attention away from Mitsuzuri. The man in blue parried his attack almost lazily and lashed out with his spear. Shirou barely got his improvised weapon back in time to prevent him self being stabbed through the throat.

“Oh, you managed to block my spear?” the man said, eyeing the poster curiously. “I see, you’re a magus aren’t you?” With that he lashed out with his foot sending Shirou flying all the way through the house and through the rear doors into the garden. Trying desperately to ignore the pain erupting all over his body, Shirou dragged himself back to his feet. He was able to bring his weapon back up just in time to deflect one, two, three blows. The man in blue was grinning now, as though enjoying himself.

“You’re good kid,” he said. “But not good enough.” Once more kicked Shirou and sent him flying, this time he crashed through the door of his shed.

Now it hurt too much and he couldn’t pick himself up, not in time to avoid the attack he knew was coming. He saw that demonic spear coming towards and couldn’t take his eyes away as the end of his life drew nearer. Suddenly, with the ringing sound of metal colliding, the blade was turned to the side. Suddenly there somebody else in there with them, a blond woman in a blue dress and silver armour standing between him and the spearman. With a curse the enemy retreated through the broken entranceway and the newcomer turned to look down at him.

“Servant Saber responding to your summons,” she said, “I ask of you, are you my Master?”

He simply stared at her, completely unsure of how to respond. This woman had a regal bearing and looked majestic, almost ethereal with the moonlight shining down upon her. His sense of wonder was cut short however when he remembered just why he had been trying to keep the other guys attention on him. With some difficulty he began to struggle to his feet, it was strange but he didn’t feel as bad as a second ago.

“I have to stop that guy,” he ground out.

“Understood Master,” she responded. “Please stay her while I deal with the enemy.” Then she too was gone into the night outside.

Unable to heed the woman’s advice Shirou eventually managed to bring himself to his feet and staggered over to the doorway, what he saw stunned him. It was like a repeat of earlier, the man and the woman were moving at speeds he couldn’t even follow. The blonde seemed to be deflecting her opponent’s attacks with a weapon he couldn’t see. He took a quick glance at the house and found Mitsuzuri watching the same scene and looking just as stunned as he felt. At one point in the fight the spearman lowered his stance and dipped his blade towards the floor and Shirou felt a deep sense of foreboding take over him. However, whatever he was about to do was cut short and the man leapt backward as the other warrior from earlier the one in red, fell from the sky and his twin blades cut into the earth where the spearman had been standing.

Apparently realising her was at a disadvantage and mumbling something about how he was only supposed to “scout out the other Servants”, the man blue leapt onto the roof of the house and then appear to dissolve into the night sky. The woman who had referred to herself as Saber then turned to the man in red and raised her invisible weapon as though expecting another fight. The man simply chuckled and his weapons dissolved in his hands. In response Saber lowered her own weapon uncertainly.

Everything was quite and still for a moment before a new voice spoke up.

“Well, that was interesting wasn’t it?” came a feminine voice as a new figure stepped out from around the side of his house.

“Tohsaka?!” he exclaimed.

“I had no idea you were a magus Emiya-kun. Now which one of you is the Master?”

“Tohsaka! What the hell is going on?!” yelled Mitsuzuri, causing the other woman to stumble a step.

“Maybe we should step inside and I’ll explain?”

Ten minutes later the three “normal” people were sat around a table in the living room of the Emiya home and Shirou handed a cup of tea to each of them, including Saber who looked a little nonplussed by the act but accepted it with a polite “thank you” anyway; then returned to keeping an intense watch on the other Servant. However the man in red whom Tohsaka had referred to as “Archer” had refused. Feeling a little riled by his rudeness Shirou took his place at the table and Tohsaka began her explanation.

“Okay to start, I’m a magus and a Master in the Holy Grail War.”

“And by Magus you mean like magic and stuff right?” Mitsuzuri interrupted.

“…Yes,” Tohsaka confirmed.

“No way! That’s impossible!”

“You saw Saber, Archer and Lancer all fighting each other earlier, didn’t you?” Mitsuzuri opened her mouth like she wanted to protest this but couldn’t.

“Hold on,” Shirou spoke up. “Tohsaka, you’re a magus?”

“Once again,” she grumbled. “Yes.”

“But at school all the guys idolise you.”

“All the guys?” she repeated glancing at Mitsuzuri. “It looks like I’m a little ahead then, doesn’t it?” Mitsuzuri narrowed her eyes in response and Shirou shot a confused glance between the two before Tohsaka addressed him again:

“And you Emiya, did you think of me that way too?”

“N-no?” he stuttered. He really didn’t like the grin she gave him in response.

“Most magi hide what they are,” she said after a couple of moments. “You did too, didn’t you?” Well that was true but he still couldn’t quite believe that he hadn’t had the slightest clue about her being a magus.

“No back to the issue at hand, the Holy Grail War,” she continued and Shirou sat a little straighter, this was what tonight’s incident appeared to have been about after all. “To put it simply it is a battle to claim the Holy Grail. A Servant and the Command Mantra are given to those the Grail itself chooses as Masters. The Command Mantra is that crest on the back of your right hand,” she added before he could ask.

His quickly shifted his gaze to his right and stared at it in wonder. With everything that had happened he hadn’t even noticed the markings on the back of his hand until just now. He traced a couple of fingers over it before refocusing his attention on Tohsaka’s explanation. He a snort from somewhere and just knew it was coming from Archer, he determinedly ignored him.

“The Command Mantra gives the Master the ability to give an absolute order up to three times. If you use and absolute order the Servant has no choice but to obey.” Shirou shifted uncomfortably on hearing this, he didn’t like the idea of having that much authority over someone.

“Absolute commands can also violate the laws of physics,” Tohsaka continued. “For example, you could call your Servant to your side instantly from a large distance away. And you should also be carefull Emiya-kun. Without the Command Mantra it is impossible to control a Servant, they possess abilities far beyond modern humans because they are actually the reincarnation of legendary heroes.”

It was Mitsuzuri who gave voice to the exclamation that arose inside him:

“What! When you say you “Legendary Heroes” you mean…?”

“Yes the ones that appear in myths and legends. When they die these people become epic spirits and the Grail makes it possible to summon them by dividing them into seven different classes,” she began to count them off on her fingers. “Saber, Archer, Lancer, Berserker, Rider, Caster and Assassin. When all seven Servants have been summoned the Masters face off against each other and fight to the death, in order to obtain the Holy Grail.”

“Wait…are you saying people gamble their lives like this is some sort of game?!” He took a quick look a Mitsuzuri and saw he just staring at Tohsaka, shock written all over her face. He actually felt kind of guilty, she had learnt way more about the moonlit world than any normal person should know. Suddenly he had a thought, unlike him Tohsaka was a proper magus and yet she had just explained everything with Mitsuzuri sitting right there, why? He had a bad feeling about this and could have kicked himself for not noticing earlier.

“Now there’s somewhere I need to take you, Emiya-kun but first,” with that she stood, approached Mitsuzuri and extended her hand.

“Tohsaka what are you doing?”

“You know normal people aren’t allowed to find out about this stuff, right Emiya-kun?” As soon as she said it, Mitsuzuri had jumped to her feet and started backing away.

“Tohsaka!” He rose quickly to his own feet and felt Saber shift beside him.

“Relax Emiya-kun, I’m just going to erase her memories of tonight.”

For the second time that night Shirou felt torn, he knew that technically this was the right thing to do and there could be severe repercussions from the Magic Association if they didn’t but at the same time it just felt…off. The solution came from a completely unexpected source.

“Actually Rin, that might not be the best course of action,” said Archer.

“Archer, the Association – “

“I know the rules of the Association Rin, it’s part of the information the Grail deems necessary for Servants to know,” he said by way of explanation. “However, it may be better to wait for the end of the war before doing anything. We have no guarantee that Lancer or his Master will accept your solution.”

“What do you mean?”

“Even if you wipe her mind, Lancer’s Master may still opt for the more permanent solution. In which case erasing her memories would simply make her easier prey and sending her back to her family could also put them in danger.”

“Then what do you suggest I do?” she replied almost haughtily.

“Like I said, simply wait for the end of the war and do it then.”

Rin stared at her Servant for a moment appraising his argument and clearly indecisive, then sighed and lowered her hand.

“Fine. You get a brief reprieve Mitsuzuri but you have to swear never to say a word to anyone, otherwise you could bring down more trouble than any of us can handle.”

“I-I swear.”

“Now that that’s decided, both of you follow me.”

Ayako was sitting on the steps that lead up to the entrance to the Kotomine church with Saber standing on her left and Archer on her right. Tohsaka had taken Emiya inside a little while ago, to see the “moderator” of this Holy Grail War thing (she was amused by Emiya’s observation that a member of the church would himself be a “witch”) and had decided that she should stay outside; the fewer people that knew she knew about magecraft the better, she had said. The two had left instructions for Archer and Saber to “look after her” and it galled her to know that she probably needed the protection. She wasn’t the type of person who liked sitting on her behind while other people fought. Although for the most part she was still trying to wrap her head around what she had learnt so far. She needed to sort some of it out before it became too much.

So Tohsaka and Emiya were magi, as in they could do magic, as in the real thing not that fake, stage show stuff. That was just freaky, she’d had no idea something like that even existed and now she learned two people she had known for years were part of it. Although if Emiya was a mage or whatever, that might explain why he was always able to beat her on the archery range. Actually she took that back, she didn’t think Emiya was the kind of guy to cheat like that, that was more like something Shinji would do if he could use magic. Tohsaka wasn’t so surprising though if she thought about it, she had always excelled at just about everything. She had also learnt that there was some sort of central organisation of magi whose primary concern seemed to be keeping the whole thing secret. Tohsaka had look downright scary during that brief moment where she had been planning to “erase her memories”, she’d had no idea the other girl could be that cold. And she’d gotten the impression Tohsaka had only done that because there were people out there who would outright kill her if they found out she knew. With that in mind she would definitely be keeping her promise to Tohsaka.

Then there was this whole “Holy Grail war” thing. The idea that these people were actually legendary heroes was completely absurd but she had seen it herself, they were definitely in a class far beyond normal humans. The fact that, if the two people standing here with her were to turn against her she wouldn’t stand a chance actually caused a cold sweat to develop on the back of her neck. She knew that they were both on her side (for the moment) but it was still a terrifying thought. She glanced at both of them; Archer just kept his gaze firmly on the street that permanent scowled still etched on his face but Saber nodded at her in what she guessed was supposed to be an encouraging fashion.

Briefly she wondered if there were other kinds of supernatural things out there, maybe vampires and stuff like that. She shivered and stopped thinking about it when she realized she was scaring herself. She felt a sudden compulsion to hug her knees to her chest but damn it, she wasn’t going to do something like that while other people were around, no matter how scared she got. Damn it, she knew being forced to sit on the side-lines was only going to make this feeling worse.

She heard the wooden doors of the church creak open behind her and rose to her feet. Tohsaka came out first her face impassive and Emiya followed a couple of minutes later. He looked pale and had a glazed look in his eyes like he was lost in his own thoughts.

“Yo Emiya, you all right?”

He glance at her and his eyes refocused, he smiled but she could tell it was forced.

“I’m fine,” he replied. “Just a little tired.”

“Well then,” Tohsaka said. “Shall we go home? I’d actually like to get some sleep tonight. I’ll drop the two of you off at Emiya’s first.” At first Ayako didn’t realise what Tohsaka had said and the five of them began their journey back, but when she did she stopped in her tracks.

“Eh! Tohsaka, what do you mean, “drop the two of us off at Emiya’s”?”

“Isn’t obvious? We already decided that you can’t go home in case your family get involved in this and I can’t take you to my home because you’ll just end up getting more involved. Besides, it’s Emiya’s fault you saw anything anyway, so he should take responsibility. Right, Emiya-kun?”

Ayako heard Emiya splutter beside her but he quickly trailed off and made no further protest. One look at the red-haired boy was all she needed to know that Tohsaka had successfully guilted him into it. To be honest she could exactly mount an argument against that either, she didn’t like being involved in this mess, she didn’t want to drag her family into it too… Oh crap!

She quickly plunged her hands into her pockets looking for cell phone before remembering that she’d left it in her school bag, which she’d dropped during their mad flight from the Lancer. Her family could have been trying to get a hold of her all night and she’d never even know about it, given how late it was her mother must be frantic. That was one conversation she wasn't looking forward too, especially the part where she was going to have to explain she was going to be staying alone with a boy.

“Er, Emiya,” she said. “Can I use your phone when we get back to your place?”

“Sure,” he responded. “Why?”

“I-err, I need to phone my mother.” There was a moment of awkward silence, which was then swiftly broken by Tohsaka.

“Oh. I shouldn’t need to tell you this Emiya but the next time you and I meet the two of us are enemies. I helped you out today because you got an innocent person involved but it won’t happen again, understood?”

“I guess,” Emiya responded. “You’re a good person Tohsaka, thank you for your help today.”

“I-Idiot!” Tohsaka spluttered, “Do you really understand?! I’m telling you we’re enemies!”

Ayako almost giggled. This was yet another side of Tohsaka she had never seen before and she found it infinitely preferable to the cold, magus side from earlier.

“Geez,” Tohsaka grumbled. “Let’s just keep going.”

Once more the five of them set off. As they walked Ayako retreated into her own thoughts and pretty soon they inevitably returned to how she was the single most useless person in this group. After a handful of minutes they reached a junction in the road, Ayako was pretty sure it was one that lead back to the school and she thought, towards where Tohsaka lived. At first it seemed just the same as every other junction they had passed but then Tohsaka had stopped in her tracks, causing the rest of them to grind to a halt. Standing on the road in front of them was a small, blonde girl in a purple coat who honestly didn’t look to be any older than nine-years-old. She didn’t look like much of a threat but then she wouldn’t have thought of Tohsaka as that dangerous before tonight either.

“Eh, a kid?” she heard Shirou mutter. However she could tell by how rigid Tohsaka had become that something was wrong.

“Nice to meet you my name is Ilya, Illyasviel von Einzbern,” she said and curtsied.

Tohsaka’s gasp at this statement sealed the deal, something was definitely wrong here. She felt the first stirrings of fear begin to bubble up in her stomach.

“You know her Tohsaka?” she heard Emiya ask.

“Yes,” Tohsaka answered. “The Einzbern are a powerful magic family who have dedicated themselves to obtaining the Holy Grail. They have never once failed to have one of their own become a master in the Holy Grail War.”

Ayako’s breath caught in her throat and she felt the hairs on her neck stand on end. This girl was just a kid but Tohsaka seemed to be taking her deathly seriously.

“So you summoned one after all, onii-chan,” “Ilya” said, staring directly at Shirou

Something stirred inside Ayako and a sudden feeling of recklessness took over her and she spoke up.

“Actually, I’m Saber’s Master!” she yelled.

What the hell are you doing! Her mind screamed at her.

“Mitsuzuri, what are you doing?!” Emiya hissed.

That’s what I’d like to know!

Ilyasviel turned to face her smiling in a way that was so cute, it was kind of creepy. Yet at the same time it was a smile that was way too old for that face. As far as Ayako was concerned that proved there was something up with this kid, apart from the whole being a creepy magus thing.

“Hmm, is that right?” she asked. “What do you think Berserker, should I believe her?”

Briefly the air behind this girl shimmered and suddenly something else was revealed. Ayako gasped in shock and stumbled backwards a step, she had been expecting another Servant along the lines of Saber or Archer but this, this thing looked like a monster. It towered over all of them and its skin was the colour of charcoal. It had one yellow eye and one red eye and both glowed like they held a miniature sun inside them. And she could actually feel the ferocity and madness coming off it in waves.

Suddenly everything she had been through that night caught up with her all at once and became too much to bear. Her mind went blank and she was trembling all over, her legs were barely supporting her. Every instinct in her was screaming at her to run but her body couldn’t heed its advice. She couldn’t think, couldn’t move, couldn’t breathe. All she could do was stand there and look at her death.

“Oh well, I suppose it doesn’t matter since you’re all going to die anyway,” the girl said. “For you face Heracles the greatest hero of ancient Greece! Berserker!”

Ayako still couldn’t move even as that giant slab of stone came flying towards her.

With a jerk she was pulled backwards by Archer as he grabbed her and pulled her out of the way. In the same moment Saber leapt forward and blocked Berserkers swing with her own weapon. Archer landed by the two real Masters and lay the trembling girl gently on the ground before turning back to the fight and immediately summoned his bow. He couldn’t interfere in the melee combat without getting the other Servant’s way, there was a reason she was the Saber after all. However if he saw his chance he was taking it, he summoned a sword into his free hand and immediately restructured into something resembling an arrow, then he knocked it in his bow. His chance might only be brief, he had to be ready. This wasn’t exactly how he wanted this first night to go but he would adapt, he always did.

Saber parried attack after attack from the giant, obviously struggling under the weight of each crushing blow. She was managing to stand her ground, preventing the giant from getting any closer to their Masters but that was about it. It had her beat in pure strength but in terms of skill, she came out on top. A massive overhead blow came towards her and instinctively knowing she wouldn’t be able to block this one she leapt out of the way.

Seizing his chance Archer let loose his arrow and it flew forward. There was a thunderous roar, a flash of flame and a billow of smoke as the weapon exploded on impact.

Saber watched as the smoked cleared and almost cursed as she saw the beast still standing. Archer had used what she thought was likely his noble phantasm and yet their enemy had come out of it without a scratch. However, she noticed that it did seem to have been pushed back. As it let out a bestial roar towards the heavens, she charged it determined that it would not regain ground.

Knowing that the same trick wouldn’t work twice Archer dispersed his bow and in a handful of bounds, took to the rooftops. As he ascended he called his favoured weapons to his hands.

Saber found herself in the same predicament as before, not losing any ground but also unable to make any. However as the exchange of blows wore on one thing was becoming clear, her opponent had greater endurance than her. She wasn’t nearing her limits yet but it was still obvious that she would tire long before it did. This thing was like some tireless engine of destruction. Already she was considering that she might need to use her noble phantasm. She was reluctant to use it this early in the war and reveal her identity but if that was the only issue she would almost certainly have decided to use it. But to use it at street-level, in such a tightly packed area full of people’s homes? She couldn’t, it was unthinkable and yet it was beginning tp look like the only way to prevent them from all being killed.

Then she saw it and it was only because she was looking up at her opponent that she did. The Archer was descending towards them, his twins swords back in his hands but they were barely recognisable. They were still black and white but they were longer now, almost as tall as he was and with feathers or fur where the guard should be. When she judge him close enough she leapt back again, unsure of just what his weapons would do.

The two swords dug deep into its back, carving two long gashes as he descended. As soon as his feet touched the ground he sprung away and an explosion rent the air where the Berserker was standing. He saw its Master’s eyes go wide in shock but only for a brief instant before she regained her composure and he knew what had caused it. She hadn’t expected Berserker to lose one of its lives tonight. A quick look at Saber told him that she hadn’t realised what had just happened.

“That’s enough Berserker,” Ilya said and the beast halted. Then seemingly acknowledging an unspoken command, it gently lifted the girl from the ground and placed her on its left shoulder.

“Well that was boring,” she said, loud enough for everyone to hear. “But I shouldn’t have expected so much from a pair of pathetic Servants and even more pathetic “Masters”,” she added, looking over to where Rin and Shirou stood over the prone Ayako.

“Let’s go home Berserker.” With that the giant stomped of into the night with the child riding on its shoulder.

Ayako lay in the bed Emiya had provided for her, unable to sleep. Having no pyjamas with her she was dressed only in her underwear. Only in her underwear in a boys house, once upon a time the mere thought would have mortified her but modesty was the least of her concerns right now. She was afraid, terrified...and ashamed. She couldn’t remember the rest of the walk back to Emiya’s house and everything from getting back to him showing her to her room was a blur.

She had never been so afraid in her life, never had she come so close to wetting herself out of pure terror. She had expected something like Saber or Lancer, something that at least looked normal but that… When she had seen that thing her mind had refused to believe it, how could something like that possibly exist? Her mind couldn’t comprehend it, it shouldn’t be allowed, that monster had no right to be in the same world as normal people! And there was more stuff like that out there?!

The shame came because she couldn’t believe she had gone to pieces like that, at such a critical moment. There were girls in school who admired her because they thought she was so strong but would they still think of her that way if they had seen her tonight? She doubted it. Emiya hadn’t fallen apart, Tohsaka hadn’t fallen apart, only she had.

There were small patches of wetness on her pillow she noticed but she decided that it was just sweat.

She also remembered that she hadn’t called her mother, she would have to do that in the morning. Strangely she wasn’t dreading that as much as before, in fact she’d kind of like to hear her voice right now.

First off, this is exactly what it looks like, an Ayako route.

Now before anyone starts I know I have other fics that need my attention but I've actually been working on this since I joined this site last October. I had some difficulty with it at first so it got shifted aside in favour of other works. However, now that I've hit something of a stride with it I'll be damned if it doesn't see the light of day.

So, do you like it?
    Last edited by PhoenixAct; June 19th, 2012 at 09:44 AM.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Broken Arrow? Uh, this sounds like an Ayako x Shirou fic -
    *starts reading*
    AYAKO ROUTE.

I fucking love you.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Blog Entries
    Dat AYAKO ROUTE

Delicious

AYAKO ROUTE!
    *subscribed*
    GO GO AYAKO!!!
    Save the poor dense boy from the evil lolis, the tsunderes, the witch and the gorgon!
    Saber and Sakura? Well, they can join the fun...
    92 minuti di applausi!!!

Perchè immaginiamo?, ci chiedono.
    E perchè no?, è la risposta più adatta.
    Almeno, questo è ciò che credo io.

Spoiler:

CASTER FAN, and PROUD of it!!!!

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    . . . It's not the first time Saber's had a "Master," but Ayako isn't exactly Iris, is she? It'll be interesting to see how they get along over the long term.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

US Friend Code
    Ayako route?
    Please continue.
    ... Does anyone remember this thread: http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...-input-welcome ?

So, according to D&D's alignment check, I'm a True Neutral. Huh.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Argh, can you change the post so it doesn't use white writing even when you're using a white background? It makes it almost impossible to read....

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, I like, PhoenixAct

<in Gendo monotone voice> I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing's happening.

I like the idea and it's execution. Will withold judgment till we see more of it.
    What can change the nature of a man?
    What does one life matter?

Former Fortissimo Fan TLer Kratosirving's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nice. The scene at the school was fairly similar to how I imagined it would go were it canonically done.
    Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier Video Walkthrough: COMPLETE (thread here)

Kadenz Fermata//Akkord:Fortissimo Playlists
    Kisekitsukai (Seventh Chord) Playlist
    Mahoutsukai (Magi) Playlist)
    Final Arc Playlist

FGO Support Card (As of April 2023)
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I've always done and said what I feel and I don't let the opinions of others guide my actions. I've always marched to the beat of my own drummer and I will always march to the beat of my own drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Argh, can you change the post so it doesn't use white writing even when you're using a white background? It makes it almost impossible to read....
    Hm, I don't actually know why it's doing that. Is it any better now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    . . . It's not the first time Saber's had a "Master," but Ayako isn't exactly Iris, is she? It'll be interesting to see how they get along over the long term.
    Ah Kieran, I thought you might like to know that the next chapter of Bundle of Joy is almost finished.

And the whole "Master" issue, that's assuming Ilya bought it, although Shirou and the rest don't yet know whether she did or not.

Also, was that a good ellipses at the start of your post or a bad one?
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six mangafreak7793's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yay, ayako route!

Teasing the Penguin God!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixAct View Post
    Hm, I don't actually know why it's doing that. Is it any better now?
    It's the WYSIWYG editor, I think. And, yeah, it's fixed now.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Suscribed, So hard.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Hm, I'm interested where this will go. So Shirou never died, huh? That's interesting, because Rin has her fathers Jewel now, looking forward to seeing how this will affect everything. I don't quite see why Ayako was trying to fool Ilya, I don't really see the point of it. It's funny how Shirou worked just as fast in cleaning the Archery Range as Shirou and Ayako. I guess Ayako tried convincing him quite often interrupting their work.

Blog Entries
    *lives* I like this so very much; keep going with it, PheonixAct. ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
    Broken Arrow? Uh, this sounds like an Ayako x Shirou fic -
    *starts reading*
    AYAKO ROUTE.

I fucking love you.
    You took the words right out of my mouth.

This looks amazing. I like the direction this is heading and am curious to see how Ilya will react regardless of whether or not she bought Ayako's bluff.
    The Art of Shipping is as profound as it is dangerous; not for the faint of heart nor the weak of will, it makes gods and devils out of us all.

Definetly nice though I noticed several errors. Do you have a beta?
    Spoiler:
    As a general rule I hold no opinions that I have not been paid to hold.
    I am now a beta, so if you need help with a story feel free to ask.

Words of wisdom from ItsaRandomUsername:
    "Pssh, with proper writing almost anything can be logical. If it can work believably, then there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Please note the keywords: "proper" and "almost". Bad storytelling mixed with nonsensical couplings are the drunk-driving of literature."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiam View Post
    Nothing helps you mature more than a little murder, especially in the Nasuverse.
    We are Beast's Lair!
    Derailer among derailers!
    Look upon the continuity of thy threads ye mighty, and DESPAIR!

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Somehow, I don't feel like Illya bought it. *w*

But don't waver Ayako! Only you can protect Shirou from that devil tsundere, evil imouto, hussy childhood friend, foreign beauty and the striped menace!

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

後継者 Successor
    Only question.

How would Deus Sex Machina work in this setting?