Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Sakura's Got it Going On"

"Sakura's Got it Going On"

Want to talk about anything related to Sakura? Enjoy. Spoilers abound!

In Progress: Melty Blood
    Complete: Garden of Sinners, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Tsukihime Plus+Disc, Kagetsu Tohya

Blog Entries
    99% chance this thread actually increases Sakura levels in all other threads over Beast's Lair baseline, calling it now.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sakura already has a fanclub thread, why is this necessary?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Sakura in mah Kagetsu Tohya discussion? More likely than you think.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, you know this isn't going to actually work, right?

Sakura is relevant to the rest of the story, so she's going to come up in the other threads whether you like it or not. And, when she does, the discussion will inevitably continue in that thread, because that's just so much easier, and also because, oddly enough, Sakura does actually matter to other topics.

Also, the thread you're referring to is not in any way "off-topic", because we're discussing whether UBW is a "proper Rin route" and what would constitute a "proper Rin route". Just because Sakura happens to be involved in that conversation it doesn't mean you can automatically banish it to some special "Sakura thread".

THIS IS FINALLY TURNING INTO BS. Drago, you just CAN'T compartmentalize BL! It's not right, man, and it's very disrespectful of people's personal rights. You can't expect us to just solely talk about the one thing in each thread. I know, cus I've been there! I still remember arguing futilely about getting back on topic in the old "Mind of Steel Shirou: How does it go?" thread.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, it's more than that. I mean, how would people react if I made a thread for all Rin discussions, and said that anything about Rin should be posted there? Or Saber, or Ilya, or Rider, or...?

When people make threads like this, they're doing so on the assumption that Sakura fans and mentions of her can be "contained" within a small bubble that is independant of the rest of FSN, and then the fans who don't care about her can continue discussing the rest of the story and eulogising the UBW endings without being troubled by questions like "well, what happens to Sakura?" But, it doesn't work that way. As much as some of the fandom would like to think otherwise, Sakura does matter to the story as a whole, and you cannot compartmentalise her scenarios and discussions into their own seperate part of the forum fron the rest of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by TypeWannabe View Post
    THIS IS FINALLY TURNING INTO BS. Drago, you just CAN'T compartmentalize BL! It's not right, man, and it's very disrespectful of people's personal rights. You can't expect us to just solely talk about the one thing in each thread. I know, cus I've been there! I still remember arguing futilely about getting back on topic in the old "Mind of Steel Shirou: How does it go?" thread.
    Well, I am going to try this once. And this is only because it's Sakura.
    In Progress: Melty Blood
    Complete: Garden of Sinners, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Tsukihime Plus+Disc, Kagetsu Tohya

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
    Well, I am going to try this once.
    Try what? Forcing us to pretend that every topic in FSN is totally distinct from every other one and that there is no cross-over at all? Try to make us pretend that Sakura and Rin are only actually sisters in HF, and that she and her fate are entirely unimportant in the other routes?

And this is only because it's Sakura.
    OK, what do you mean by this?

Well, it's silly to think that all conversation or even arguments where Sakura is involved should be forced into this thread. However, let's be honest, we all know that at certain times Sakura becomes the focus of a conversation she should not be the focus of, and that will then ruin the actual topic/conversation for everybody else. Therefore, I think there is some merit in the idea to have a place where Sakura arguments/conversations can be redirected to when they no longer serve the purpose of the original conversation or are making the topic less fun for other people. I only say this because when the Sakura arguments I was a part of a few days ago happened, multiple people openly said they don't like posting in the General section because that always happens, and that's bullshit. Type-Moon fans should not feel they cannot have fun and post in the Type-Moon section because it always becomes Sakura bitching and trolling.

So, yeah, this thread's purpose comes close to just sounding like a fan-club, and forcing people to direct ALL mentions of Sakura here is a ridiculous notion. But I think the base idea has merit, and the mods SHOULD stop any conversation or argument that both gets too far away from the original conversation of the thread AND makes other people not want to bother posting. Be they just stop it altogether or redirect it somewhere like here, the idea does have merit.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's pretty much impossible to stop threads going off-topic.

I wouldn't really want to, anyway. If someone posts something interesting and discussion-worthy about the original topic, we'll go back to it. If not, oh well.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but I don't see why Sakura conversations should be given different treatment from any others and be forced into their own special thread if they're "off-topic". GD goes off topic all the time, and unless the mods intend to crack down on that more generally (and I agree with Koto that doing so is not really desirable), I don't see why Sakura-related off-topicness should be treated any differently from other off-topicness.

Not that having a thread for discussing Sakura is necessarily bad, mind you, I just think that, if Drago expects it to reduce the amount of Sakura-related off-topicness in the forum as a whole he's going to be very disappointed....

No, I don't think being off-topic is necessarily a bad thing, but what is a bad thing is that I see a bunch of people that seem both fun and enjoyable saying they can't post here and enjoy the forum because every conversation becomes the same exact argument. I'm not saying I have some magical way of fixing the problem or that this is topic itself in it's current form and goals is a smart idea. But I do understand the desire behind the making of the topic, and I think the desire itself has merit.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Every conversation doesn't become the "exact same argument", we just have various discussions that happen to involve Sakura. Your friends obviously can't cope with the concept that Sakura is actually an important (and, unfortunately, controversial) part of FSN, and not some bit-part character who happened to get given her own route.

I'm not willing to accept the idea of Sakura-related off-topicness being treated any differently from other off-topicness. Either all off-topicness is wrong, or Sakura-related off-topicness is just as fine as any other kind. And, if it's the second, then this thread is unlikely to have the intended purpose....

I'm talking about people saying things here, not people I know. I'm just repeating and reacting to the things I see said here. Don't jump to conclusions and automatically think that since somebody doesn't want every conversation to become about Sakura that they must hate her. I'm not going to get into an argument with you, Mike. I'm just saying that I think the desire behind the creation of this topic has merit, even if the topic itself isn't the best way to go about it and will likely either just be ignored or turned into one specific argument and eventually die.

The Royal Chancellor of Avalon Keyne's Avatar
    *yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn*

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    I'm talking about people saying things here, not people I know. I'm just repeating and reacting to the things I see said here. Don't jump to conclusions and automatically think that since somebody doesn't want every conversation to become about Sakura that they must hate her. I'm not going to get into an argument with you, Mike. I'm just saying that I think the desire behind the creation of this topic has merit, even if the topic itself isn't the best way to go about it and will likely either just be ignored or turned into one specific argument and eventually die.
    Well, you are perhaps right that the intent isn't bad, but like you say it's simply not going to work, and further I don't see why Sakura-related OOCness is any worse than other OOCness.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    I don't see why Sakura-related OOCness is any worse than other OOCness.
    It isn't. It's just that it's the most common and the one that becomes thread-ruining arguments with trolling and bitching the fastest, so it's the one most people see as a problem. Of course if you make just ONE topic something you can't go off-topic with while others you can okay, people are then going to complain about how unfair that is. That's why I'm not a mod, my reaction would just be to stop conversations that seem to be ruining the topic at hand, and it seems people would only then get upset about that as well. But, as a member of the forum, I can indeed understand both the desire to make a topic like this work AND the reasons why it never will. It was worth a shot, though, I guess.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, the thing is, BL always goes horribly off-topic. On the old forums, if a thread was on topic by page 5 or 6, it was doing pretty well. Sakura may well be a common topic for derailment, but like you said trying to restrict specifically Sakura-related off-topicness is just going to piss people (read: me) off, especially since she's an important character, and trying to limit off-topicness in general would go against the general intent of the majority of the forumites.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Well, the thing is, BL always goes horribly off-topic. On the old forums, if a thread was on topic by page 5 or 6, it was doing pretty well. Sakura may well be a common topic for derailment, but like you said trying to restrict specifically Sakura-related off-topicness is just going to piss people (read: me) off, especially since she's an important character, and trying to limit off-topicness in general would go against the general intent of the majority of the forumites.
    Oh, I know. lol

I didn't have this particular name, but I was around the old BL from time to time. I joined a very long time ago, but only popped up once every few months. I know how off-topic things got and how often they became arguments about the heroines. And, to be honest, it bugged me from time to time, but I'm generally not the type of person to make a big deal out of something just because it bugged me. I do think it is a shame that I saw several people saying they can't enjoy posting in this section because of the Sakura arguments, but I also don't intend to pretend I have a legitimate solution to that problem either. At least not one that doesn't then in turn make the forum less fun for other people, while taking away the nature of the community. As I said, there is a reason I have never been a mod before.