Page 113 of 152 FirstFirst ... 1363103108111112113114115118123 ... LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 3023

Thread: Gundam Thread

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    AGE arc 2: A wild Char has appeared! It uses Extreme Speed. It's Super Effective!

They seriously come out and say the red suit is three times faster? Not just Char bragging, but actual enemy observations? And they decided to give the mask an actual purpose this time, that's the first time since, what, Wing?
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mmm... that OP. <3

"Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Dueling with Giant Robots to achieve Understanding naschyamamoto's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    I mean, the mask kind of had meaning in SEED, at least. Moreso than what some of the UC shows did, for sure. I don't know a thing about X though... and 00 really has no excuse. That mask was a mark of shame upon an amazing character.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    There was contributing. And suggestions and . . . okay a bunch of people demanding me to write this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aiden View Post
    Well yeah, that last one always happens.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    SEED would have a reason if the characters who were supposed to be clones/family looked anything alike. It might just be SEEDs terrible character design to blame for that one though. IIRC the Char in After X is the MC's captain who's hiding a 'huge' scar behind Quattro Bajeena glasses.

After X is so weird, I'd never expect the show that's basically Gundam Mad Max to have a multi episode arc about saving sort of telepathic dolphins.

Blog Entries
    At Shizuoka Hobby Show they showed off a prototype for the HGUC 1/144 Penelope which appeared in the recent Hathaway's Flash teaser.

Damn, it's just as thicc as I remember.

JP Friend Code
    Its just as ridiculously non-aerodynamic & questionably mobile as I remember.

Blog Entries
    Don't need to be aerodynamic when you've got a giant experimental anti-gravity backpack strapped onto you.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    so recently a word Barbatos became trend in twitter, Mika's VA reacted to that.

but of course we know which Barbatos was the cause.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Finished Gundam AGE. What a strange series. Some great ideas, but never executed particularly well. The cross generation storyline was a great idea, watching the characters grow up throughout life, as was the main character going from Super Robot Protagonist to genocidal old man bent on settling a century old grudge. The problem is that the first ten episodes are really uninteresting, almost monster of the week, here's a new powerup (available at local toy store, only $19.99!). The middle narrative about a pilot who dosn't possess a genetic lottery psychic superpower, trying to earn his fathers approval was really compelling. The flight leader being a better mentor for him than his own father was nice too. The fact they finish his segment and go right back into psychic power bullshit makes it feel like a one step forward, two steps back situation. The main villain of the first part is terrible psychotic child, while the second part is the best friend rival character who actually has a story arc in wavering between his friendships and his nation, while the third part goes to a Darwinist who says he wants world peace but doesn't understand how his actions would preclude that. Which is basically Charles zi Brittania in space. Only not as buff. Or as Wakamoto. The enemy suits just being dragons is one of the most constantly enjoyable things in the series. Also, the English dub is horrible. It feels like an abridged series at times, and not one of the good ones, but the ones with only a few people so in an attempt to make them varied enough they make them super grating.

Overall I'd say it's definitely one of the lower tier ones, not as bad as SEED, but maybe on the level of Victory or SEED Destiny. It has some much better parts than Victory, but Victory was so bad it was funny all the way through, while when AGE is bad, it's just bad. 4/10

Blog Entries
    Chin up lad, at least you've got the "so bad it's amazing" Reconguista to look forward to next.

As for AGE, I'll defend it's honour to the end as an amazing video game but a sub-par anime adaptation.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Chin up lad, at least you've got the "so bad it's amazing" Reconguista to look forward to next.
    Oh, another Victory entering my crosshairs? How impaired must I be to enjoy it?

Blog Entries
    Gundam Thunderbolt Volume 11 has arrived and been read.

Spoilers:
    Kicking off on the cliff-hanger from the last volume, Daryl decides that Karla is more important to him than reviving Zeon and defects to the Nanyang so that their leader Levan Fuu will fix her mind. He takes Sebastian and Billy with him, the latter of which surprises me as Billy being the only other Newtype in the story made me think he would be the key to breaking Levan Fuu's NT brainwashing on his minions, though I guess that could still happen if Billy could be convinced to betray the Nanyang. The Psycho Zaku II is nearly finished in time for a confrontation with Io who is on his way in the Spartan. Meanwhile, Levan reveals his endgame as he can see the future and decides the poison choking peace is Anaheim Electronics and so he plans to destroy their base on the moon with an army of Psycho Zakus led by Daryl.

Things are coming to a head, I would not be surprised if the story reaches a climax in the coming volumes.

I think this is the last Volume before the Art Shift occurs due to the author's hand injury. I'll be sad to see this crisp detailed artstyle go.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Wow, Renconguista is... something.

This has to be the flimsiest excuse to get a main character on the ship that I've seen. On the other hand, female lead being a competent pilot hasn't happened since early SEED, so I'll forgive the fact she only gets loose because the MC is horny. Her Gundam is pretty neat too.

What kind of army decides that in order to gain the upper hand in their cross continent war (with a nation we have still yet to see, 12 episodes in), they should attack the closest thing to a neutral party who provides the world with power? Sure they're a moderately corrupt theocracy, but one war at a time guys.

Is it ever explained how Bell can even pilot the Gundam's? Princess was coded in from the start and not-Loran was the delivery pilot, but why Bell? Is he a secret twin like Kira and Cagalli were?

What's with the weird obsession with making sure the pilots are seen drinking and going to the bathroom while in the suits? Moving from point A to B in a suit? Show the character drinking from a water bottle. About to launch an attack? Start the scene with the pilot zipping up.

Why are there cheerleaders at a military academy? And why do some then end up serving on a spaceship as janitors?

I really like that first ED reminds me of the Carnival Phantasm one where all the characters are having fun together even if they're bitter enemies.
    Last edited by Mattias; June 17th, 2019 at 02:12 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    Wow, Renconguista is... something.
    It really is.

other side of Red Garden AmADo VII's Avatar
    wait till masked man appears, he's the funniest guy in the G-reco.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You mean the one who's obviously the best friend, who is standing right in front of cheerleader/janitor and she doesn't notice?

Blog Entries
    I'm curious as to what you make of the setting of Reconguista.

One of the more interesting aspects that they really don't touch upon enough.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's a real interesting setting that's being horribly underutilized. The decades long war between America and the other guys, while having the moon be a thrid party making profit off of both sides and the Orbital Elevator being a neutral party between all three with a minimum military presence is fascinating. It falters when they decide to make the actual war a behind the scenes thing and focus on the neutral party becoming more and more militaristic.

I'm halfway through right now and it feels like the show has already laid all its cards on the table. I know it's only half as long as a normal series, but it still feels like its moving at breakneck speed, even faster than Wing did at points. The first half of the show should have been focused on the actual ongoing war, with the back half being fighting a militaristic theocracy that disregards its own tenants when convenient, who are just puppets for the Moon people.

The suits are real hit and miss too. The Pirates specialty suits are great, the Gundam is bland but I really like some of the packs for it, especially the reflector. The TV heads are neat, and the round Zakus are distinct, but the Mack Knife is SOOOO fucking stupid that it almost completely offsets all that goodwill.

Blog Entries
    Thinking the female lead is a competent pilot. ha. hahahahaha. Bellri's connection with the G-Self will be explained.

But I agree that G-Reco's greatest strength is a setting that is sadly underutilized. Tomino has always been a great idea man, but his execution often leaves a lot to be desired. Byston Well was fascinating. The post-apocalyptic landscape of Overman King Gainer had potential. And so on. But it's always obscured Tominoisms like goofy love triangles and stilted, on-the-nose dialogue.
    Spoiler:
    Originally Posted by You
    when all the evils have given up their waifus, all the greats have left for med school, and there are no more at least 3 day battles to be fought what is left is

not Tsukihime 2
    not DDD3
    not even Girl's Work

but f/go

and now f/go english

that is what is waiting for you at the end of schadenfreude

Blog Entries
    I think the most egregious case of underutilised setting in Reconguista is the fact that it's post-Turn A and yet they really don't capitalise on that outside of...

Spoiler:
    G-Lucifer using the Moonlight Butterfly in the Blu-Ray cut of the final battle.

Just seems like a massive missed opportunity to me.