Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King of Heroes, Do You Have Enough Cards?

King of Heroes, Do You Have Enough Cards?

"King of Heroes, Do You Have Enough Cards?" by Mereo Flere

Saw a challenge on Beast's Lair, wrote for it, got this, and Kyokushi gave me the title.

XXX

Of all of the Holy Grail Wars he had been summoned to, this had to be the most ridiculous - and he knew for a fact that he had once been summoned to the Moon. He even suspected that the Tohsaka Rin there even knew how to use technology, though even he thought that might have been a little too crazy.

Not as crazy as this, however. He never would have imagined that there was an alternate reality out there where the Holy Grail had been corrupted by something other than Angra Mainyu. It was something that he had taken for granted, really; a familiar evil was easier to handle than one you didn't know, after all. This, though... while he couldn't really call it evil, he still wondered what had possessed the Einzbern to summon something like "The King of Games." What, did they think that it would check mate its opponents to death?

Regardless of their intentions for that spirit, the fact of the matter was that it had lost early on in the war, just like Avenger had. And, just like Avenger, the spirit's presence in the Grail twisted it, ultimately changing the wars that followed. Rather than acting as the vessel of All the World's Evil, however, the rules for the war simply changed. No longer did servants duke it out directly with their noble phantasms, as it had been in Archer's lifetime. Instead, the battle took a different form, a different medium: Card games.

Goddamn card games.

He couldn't believe it at first. Even when Rin told him that's how the war was fought, he was sure that she had made a mistake. She did that, after all, make mistakes. It ran in her family after all; sometimes, it was simple stuff like forgetting about Daylight Savings Time. Other times, there were more drastic consequences, like giving your daughter to Zouken. Hell, both Tokiomi and Rin had made the mistake of trusting Kotomine, and only one of them managed to (barely) live through that. Believing, for some strange reason, that the war would be fought with pieces of cardboard wasn't that unusual for them.

When Lancer showed up, however, doing his usual reconnaissance thing for Kotomine, and challenged him to a game of duel monsters... well, Archer was forced to believe. It wasn't that Lancer was any more convincing than Rin, however; it's just that when Archer tried to trace his swords all he managed to do was summon up a pair of equipment cards named after his blades.

They weren't even that good. 500 Attack Point increase each? That was just insulting.

In the end, however... Archer couldn't really complain. As it turned out, having heroic spirits from the past duke it out in a card game wasn't a great idea. Berserker didn't even know how to play the game, so he went down easy. Caster depended too heavily on spell and trap cards, so a combination of Royal Decree and Silent Swordsman Level 7 was all it took to defeat her. Assassin was taken out when Caster was defeated, while Rider had been defeated by Saber.

As for Saber herself - her deck wasn't all that good, to be honest, but her instinct seemed perfectly suited for a game. Despite lacking an optimized deck, her dragons gave him quite some trouble as she somehow managed to counter his Dragon Capture Jar every time he set one on the field - but in the end his Buster Blader made short work of her Blue Eyes White Dragons. Though she managed to fuse them together into a three headed monster, the power it gained from the polymerization was still nothing compared to thousands of attack points all of the dragons in Saber's graveyard gave to Archer's warrior.

Now, however came the final battle - the last opponent he would have to face before this ridiculous war was over: Gilgamesh.

The King of Heroes had shown himself right after Saber was defeated. Archer expected him to be mad, but instead Gilgamesh had been... amused. Maybe it was because Gilgamesh was no longer interested in someone that had lost to a Faker like Archer. Maybe, in this world, he had decided not to obsess over her. Whatever the reason, though, it was clear that Gilgamesh was interested in him.

Instinctively, Archer moved to dodge when he felt Gilgamesh's presence, but there was no need to. Duel Monsters was not the sort of game you could win with a sudden ambush. As Saber had described it, it was a game of honor - of opponents exchanging blows with each other, and the fight began only when the mutual enemies knew each other was there.

Gilgamesh couldn't stab him in the back, nor did he feel a need to. "You have no pride, Faker," he said, as he stepped into view in front of Archer. "Constantly changing your deck to suit your opponent - even the witch had placed more heart in her cards than you."

Archer shrugged. "I do what it takes to win."

"Perhaps." Gilgamesh laughed, running a hand through his hair as he looked down on Archer down the bridge of his nose. "Against trash like the ones you faced, little tricks might be enough. However, Faker, it's time you took a lesson from a true duelist."

Archer narrowed his eyes, and regretting that he didn't have time to rebuild his deck. However, without any other choice but to fight, he was forced to pull out his cards and start shuffling them. It was only when Gilgamesh pulled out his deck that Archer realized just how much trouble he was in.

"You have got to be kidding me."

"Are you ready Faker? It's time to duel!"

XXX

The moment that Archer had seen Gilgamesh's deck, he knew how things would play out. Though he hadn't seen the cards in play yet, he had figured out what Gilgamesh had put in his deck. From the moment the first draws were made, it was simply a matter of time until one of them fell.

"I never thought it would end up like this..."

"Really?" Archer raised a brow as he watched his opponent stumble backwards - thousands upon thousands of cards scattering to the floor as they spilled out from Gilgamesh's duel disk.

"Of course! How could I possibly lose? I had the prototype of every card that ever came into existence!"

"...yes," Archer said with a sigh. "But maybe, just maybe... you know, you shouldn't have put them all into your deck."
    Last edited by Mereo Flere; June 30th, 2012 at 12:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    Bad memories of overloaded Magic decks man.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Yu-Gi-Oh. Good, good times.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Very nice, Mereo! You got me loling IRL.

Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    Bad memories of overloaded Magic decks man.
    "You're don't have any mana? Again?"

"Yeah... sorry about that, Tohsaka."

"...well, it's not really a problem, I suppose. There are ways to deal with that, you know."

"Why are you taking off your clothes?"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    5Ds is honestly my favorite season of the anime, though.
    Not entirely sure why...might be the "momentum" theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

JESUS WANTS A HUG! The Sylentnight's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername View Post
    +1

All those times... kept trying to summon my most powerful monster but had all my little one's killed off and I couldn't summon anybody else.

This was a funny story Mereo. I really enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riven View Post
    You can't see the future. You can just pray that the decisions you make are the right ones. That's what it means to be a commander.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodyle
    It's natural for Rin to surround herself with beautiful women, and natural for Shirou to be everyone's bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Neil Watts
    God, why is it so hard to be a smart ass these days?

Wait are all of Shirou's cards swords?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chojomeka View Post
    Wait are all of Shirou's cards swords?
    He would have to have Sword Hunter. XP
    Last edited by Lycodrake; June 30th, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Mereo~
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mereo Flere View Post
    "You're don't have any mana? Again?"

"Yeah... sorry about that, Tohsaka."

"...well, it's not really a problem, I suppose. There are ways to deal with that, you know."

"Why are you taking off your clothes?"
    Would that really count as a bad memory, though?

"Those who say it can not be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
    -- Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    He would have to have Sword Hunter. XP
    Funny, I always imagined that Shirou would try to run a Hero deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
    Would that really count as a bad memory, though?
    Think about how most people aren't Shirou.

Shirou: If you can't beat them, join them *eye rolls* burningclaw2's Avatar
    Shirou's Hero decks are fail, when he ends up making a different deck it wins.
    Words to live by: Fate is a B****, Destiny is a whore, while Karma is just doing her job.

Violence solves all problems. If its not working then you are not using enough.
    Even though I am male after taking a 'Which Fate/stay night Character are you?' quiz I am...

Tohsaka Rin You are Rin. Cool and collected, you think logically about most situations. You strive for self-perfection, and rely on others only for your benefit. You may be cold toward most people, but you can be friendly when you try. Indeed, it could be said you enjoy helping others that you care for. Whatever the case, you tend to think logically and don't let emotions cloud your judgement.

Blog Entries
    didnt tang do this once?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Grant's Avatar
    Archer was lucky. If he'd been facing anything from the original series before card games ruled the world he'd be in trouble.

The Raging Fantastic Magnum Fancy Face the First's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hah, Gilgamesh was defeated by the very thing he considered a strength!

The irony!
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Karna would totally sympathize with Shinji.

"Bro, your family does not want you either? We will show them, by killing everyone."
    "Nukes, nukes everywhere."
    [*ruby=text on top]text on bottom[/*ruby]

I don't suppose Shirou's trump card was Maha Vailo?

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bizarre, and yet it works - kudos!

. . . And this reminds me that I never did get around to streamlining my deck.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    I had a deck full of Water and Earth Beast-Warriors and Light and Earth Machines Monster cards with quite a few Field cards.
    That's about all I remember. XP
    F/GO SUPPORT

A YGO crossover...

I would've thought Archer would troll everyone with Synchros and XYZs due to him being from the future and all.