Thread: Medaka Box RP

Medaka Box RP

“Is the world too peaceful? Is the future bothersome? Is reality your enemy? Don’t worry; Even if it is, life is epic!”

Welcome to the Medaka Box RP, an RP that as the name suggests, will take place in the world of the Medaka Box manga. Expect the absurd, and indeed feel free to go as creative and crazy as you want during character creation. Now, without further ado, let me get right into character creation.

types of characters, and stat distribution

Types of Characters:
    Abnormals start with 100 ability points to spend. This category include the abnormal and minus. More details later.
    Normals start with 120 ability points to spend. This category include the normal and special. More details later.
    Stats:
    There are 4 stats that help define the actual capabilities of your character. The level of each stat is determined by how many stat points you decide to put in. You start with 0 stat points, but instead convert ability points to stat points at the rate of 4 ability points equaling 1 stat point. Here are the 4 stats and along with a description.
    Strength: How physically strong your character is. You can think of this as your ‘power’ stat.
    Agility: How physically agile your character is. You can think of this as your ‘speed’ stat.
    Endurance: How physically tough your character is. You can think of this as your ‘defense’ stat.
    Will: How much willpower your character has. You can think of this as the shounen modifier. There are multiple effects. One such effect is a hidden edge, in other words, if two chars with the same stats clash, the one with the higher will comes out on top.
    Next, let me explain the levels for the stats, as in how much each point represents. An important thing to note is that there is no ‘hard limit’ to how high a stat can be.
    0: Possess absolutely nothing of
    1: Weak
    2: Average
    3: Strong
    4+: Superhuman
    Now, allow me to explain how stat points correspond to your stat level. The cost of each stat level starts at 1 stat point and increases by 1 every 2 levels. In other words, here’s a table that might help illustrate the concept.

level Number of stat points required
    0 0
    1 1
    2 2
    3 4
    4 6
    5 9
    6 12

As you can see, it costs 1 point to upgrade from tier 0 to tier 1, and tier 1 to tier 2. However, to upgrade from tier 2 to tier 3 will cost 2 stat points each level, and same with from tier 3 to tier 4.

types of characters, more in depth
    Types of characters:
    Abnormals: Abnormals are those exceptional people often born with abilities that may seem to defy common sense and physics. These types of people can be split into two types, the abnormal (the elites) and the minus (the losers)
    The abnormal can be considered the elites. They are often blessed by powers, luck, and abilities that go beyond any notion of talent. It should be noted that there seems to be two types of abnormalities within this group, those with abnormalities, and those who are ‘skill users’.
    Somebody with just an abnormality is somebody who has some type of trait taken to the extreme. These traits will occasionally also manifest themselves as intrinsic abilities and talents. An example of people in this category is Unzen who has the abnormality ‘Justice’ and is an ‘all-round’ type, Maguro Kurokami who has the abnormality ‘analysis’ which allows him to identify abilities, skills, and stats, and Shigusa Takachiho who has the ability ‘hard taping’ which allows him to automatically react.
    The other type of abnormal are ‘skill holders’. These people simply possess a skill which seems to defy common sense and scientific explanation, but they are not minus. Examples of such skills include ‘skill to control oxygen’, ‘the skill to see through other people’s eyes’, and ‘the skill that nullifies coincidence’.
    It should be noted that abnormal are once again, the elites. They naturally excel, have power, and fate seems to favor them.
    On the flip side, there are the minus. These are the people who are not favored by fate, those who fail in the majority of things they attempt, those who absorb and exemplify all the negative aspects of humanity. Their ability manifests as a mixture between abnormalities and skill users, in that they have abnormalities but they seem to function more along the lines of active abilities or skills. Also, their abilities are inexplicable by science and often break the laws of physics and common sense. In addition, there abilities often are ‘negatively’ aligned, such as the ability to rot away things, the ability to open scars, the ability to move damage, the ability to turn to nothing, the ability to weaken someone to your level, the ability to manipulate ailments. An important thing to note it the typical minus mindset/philosophy. Unlike the elites, they don’t run away from things like rejection, they tend to avoid happiness as it would render their unhappiness meaningless, and regardless of what happens to them they go through life with a smile on their face.

One last brief point I want to make about abnormalities is that it is very well possible for them to affect your stats. In other words, depending on the abnormality you choose, it may be very well possible for some of your stats to increase or decrease or even start at a certain value. For example, take something like Hinokage’s ability ‘Mister Unknown’, in this scenario it would also automatically sets his stats to 6/5/5/5 before even applying any stat points, in addition its other effect of making people forget/not notice him.

Normals: In this scenario, normals are simply those who are not abnormal. In other words, while talented, there is nothing ‘logic-breaking’ about them. In this rp, there is no particular difference between normals and specials apart from for actual rping purposes, and the fact that specials will more likely be specialized while normals can go for a more ‘jack of all trades’ approach.

Traits/Perks/Attributes/etc: This is a section opened to both abnormal and specials, and is basically any extra abilities or talents that your character has. For example, one such example would be saying ‘my character is a martial artists’, which would give your character the appropriate skills and boost. Also, note that this is the difference between normals and specials, in the level you choose your perks. What I mean is, while taking the perk ‘martial artist’ would mean your character knows martial arts, you can upgrade the perk to ‘Scholarship level: martial artist’. Those with any perks with the affix ‘Scholarship level’ are specials, and what this means is that they are extremely talented in this field, to the point of being comparable to Olympian level. It should also be noted that you can get extremely creative with these similar to with abnormal. Take the ‘Scholarship level: swimming’ for example, you can then argue that such talent gives your character outstanding lung control and then apply for some type of vocal cannon. It should also be noted that abnormal cannot take perks with the ‘Scholarship level’ affix.

The first thing is to gauge how much interest in this rp. In addition, while KnightTurtle has volunteered to help co-gm, depending on how many people show interest, I may need additional co-gms. Also, there is still some flexibility about other things the general world of the rp at later points, but for now, this is to see how many people are interested and if there are any questions people have.
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, I'll join, as you already know.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

keep me a seat please~

Blog Entries
    Joining for meta shenanigans.

Blog Entries
    I feel madness here. I'd like to be in waiting list, since I'm not sure if I'd be active this August... until next June.

joining. I swear, i'm got ideas A_A

Calling all ARTISTS AND SPRITE ARTISTS + XML EDITORS:

Best quote ever
    [22:49] <KnightTurtle> i am a hard M
    [22:49] <KnightTurtle> there is no shame

デューイ Free-spirited evil bounty hunter dewawer's Avatar
    Welp, if you have a spot, I'd like to join. (oh god the broken scale of op)

Blog Entries
    If there's any space, I'll join.
    [rubytest=永遠の旅人]Infinite Wanderer[/rubytest]

Also, if possible, say what kind of character you're thinking of making (minus, abnormal, normal, special) just so I can get a general count of the type of chracters
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Blog Entries
    I'm probably going to go with a special.

I think I'd be interested, had an amusing idea at least for my character.

Name -- Something fabulous.

He can be described in one word: Normal.
    A boy who seldom draws a second glance, if even a first. People tend to completely overlook him simply due to the fact that he is so normal. This normality is taken to such a degree that it doesn't even matter the situation, his being there, what he is doing, it is considered normal, and completely overlooked without comment.
    There is some speculation that he might be a plus, or even a minus... however any of the tests to determine this inevitably come back with the result: normal.

As a fan of the manga, I am interested. However as someone kinda new to rp's, the amount of details in the character profiles deter me.
    I think I'd choose a minus or a normal. Either one will have psychological problems, yay.
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

btw, here's a setting question for those still interested.
    Would you rather it take place in the same school as Medaka and the others, or a totally new setting?
    Each choice has it's own benefits imo.

Honk

Blog Entries
    I'd go with a new setting.

I'd also go with a new setting.
    <Airen> I play hetero every once in awhile
    Spoiler:
    <~Katie> dude who gives a fuck about girls being gay, sometimes girls aren't gay and that decision should be respected

Spoiler:
    [12:21.40] that might be a top tier post[12:21.45] frantic[12:21.47] post of the month, even[12:21.48] this right here[12:21.49] is MC [12:21.56] johnny has nothing on this dude[12:22.00] he's the MC of the nisio half[12:22.12] so wait[12:22.15] [ ] is, after all, my rival character[12:22.16] am i the gag heroine[12:22.20] yes

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'd prefer it if it is on Medaka's school. Makes it more interesting.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!