Page 110 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1060100105108109110
Results 2,181 to 2,197 of 2197

Thread: Marvel Cinematic Universe Discussion Thread

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it is. And I'm kind of glad. I appreciate the world building and all, but the constant need to try things to meta plot also hurts the individual movies. A lot of the better stuff these last few years have been completely divorced from the "The Plot". Except Loki, but that was the start of it so it was fresh at the time.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I went and saw The Marvels tonight. I've seen everyone shitting on it, but I really enjoyed it. It has rough patches and a bunch of CG looks Sci-Fi channel level, but the characters are fun, the plot beats are fun, the action scenes are unique. The villain is straightforwardly evil, to the point that they could have accomplished all their goals easily and only failed because they decided to get revenge at the same time and create conflict. I'd probably rate it on the higher end of the Post-Endgame movies along with Dr Strange, Thor and Shang Chi in the "good but has problems" category.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    It's a movie with three women as lead actors, two of whom are POC; even if it were a masterpiece - and I'm not saying it isn't, I haven't watched it -, the crowd of usual suspects would still say it's terrible.

US Friend Code
    Thor was so bad that it made me quit, and I watched everything before that. I wouldn't ever acknowledge a film that treated cancer like that as good. Not to mention wasting Bale's work.
    何処に行くの

Agreed. Then again, the only Thor movie I consider unequivocally good, close to great (would have reached it with some of the deleted scenes back in), is the first one. I'm given to understand I'm somewhat in the minority there.

- - - Updated - - -

(I do appreciate the third one's themes a lot, I just think the actual execution left a lot to be desired.
    That Taika Waititi is still going to write and direct the next one would annoy me immensely if I basically hadn't checked out of the MCU already.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    One example would be the fact that a certain superhero is revealed to have been a Skrull since the events of Civil War
    Oof. Who is it, please?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    It's a movie with three women as lead actors, two of whom are POC; even if it were a masterpiece - and I'm not saying it isn't, I haven't watched it -, the crowd of usual suspects would still say it's terrible.
    You know, it is opinions and generalization like this that make it hard to say bad movies are bad because we would be accused of political incorrectness.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Oof. Who is it, please?
    War Machine

- - - Updated - - -

The "since Civil War" part is not a sure thing though

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    War Machine

The "since Civil War" part is not a sure thing though
    Is this a "death of the author" thing now?

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Invasion Director Ali Selim
    “A lot of people have asked about, ‘Definitively, when did Rhodey...?’ I think his legs not working at the end of episode six and him being in the hospital gown points to 'Captain America: Civil War'."
    Kind of hard to argue against that.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    More like despite their intention it was left ambiguous enough that they'll definitely trash the plot point now that everyone hates the series.

- - - Updated - - -

Like, it bombed hard. I doubt anything in it is getting followed up upon.

Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    You know, it is opinions and generalization like this that make it hard to say bad movies are bad because we would be accused of political incorrectness.
    If the shoes don't fit, you don't have to wear them; it's quite easy to criticise a movie helmed by a female actor without veering into misogyny, for example (I myself didn't like the first Captain Marvel movie, if you must know; I found it boring). But let's not be disingenuous and pretend there isn't a sizeable contingent of people who criticise movies - both good and bad - exactly because they *are* helmed by women, or POC, or queer folks, etc., either because they're genuinely upset by that or because their careers are based on fanning and farming outrage.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pinetree View Post
    War Machine
    Ah, I see - a character close enough to the main heroes who presumably has his fans, but is not *that* important in the grand scheme of things. A cynical move even so.
    Well, thanks for explaining!
    Last edited by SpoonyViking; November 14th, 2023 at 11:21 PM.

Blog Entries
    If the shoes don't fit, you don't have to wear them; it's quite easy to criticise a movie helmed by a female actor without veering into misogyny, for example (I myself didn't like the first Captain Marvel movie, if you must known; I found it boring). But let's not be disingenuous and pretend there isn't a sizeable contingent of people who criticise movies - both good and bad - exactly because they *are* helmed by women, or POC, or queer folks, etc., either because they're genuinely upset by that or because their careers are based on fanning and farming outrage.
    I know, so I'm happy that at least there are people that can agree that Cap. Marvel is a boring movie and a waste of time because of the quality and not due to it being centered by a female character.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I thought the plot of Cap Marvel was a bit paint by numbers, but I liked the characters more than enough to cover that deficit. Which is pretty much how this newest one is too, although the Ms Marvel cast and unimpressed Nick Fury are worth even more this time around.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Capt. Marvel is basically just Iron Man 1, but in the 90's. It's standard MCU Flair, but it's really not that bad. I think the backlash mostly came from the actor and yes, the usual suspects, but also because the first movie came out a month before Endgame and they built her up as a major figure in the Thanos conflict, only for her to barely have a role in Endgame.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuzu View Post
    Capt. Marvel is basically just Iron Man 1, but in the 90's. It's standard MCU Flair, but it's really not that bad. I think the backlash mostly came from the actor and yes, the usual suspects, but also because the first movie came out a month before Endgame and they built her up as a major figure in the Thanos conflict, only for her to barely have a role in Endgame.
    Not living up to the hype? I dunno, I found the first movie pretty boring. Heck, I had more fun with the Antman series.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    I really-really want to like Captain Marvel because I like her costume and she is hot <primitive>
    But the first movie doesn't really help her to make me care for the character.
    Well at least I enjoy Ms. Marvel character a lot in her own story, so I might see The Marvels just for her.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    time....space.....reality....its more than a linear path.its a prisimof endless possiblitywhere a single choice can branch out into infinite realities..creating alternate worlds from the ones you knowi am the watcher...i am your guide through these vast new realitiesfollow me...and ponder the question....What If?

Your not a TYPE MOON fan if you don't even own a TM Merch or haven't fapped to a TM character.

Blog Entries
    damn
    IYKYK