Page 121 of 121 FirstFirst ... 2171111116119120121
Results 2,401 to 2,408 of 2408

Thread: [FF] Trinity VII: The Twilight (Type-Moon/Harry Potter X-over)

Crippling people properly can make victories feel more phyrric than the bitterness of their deaths. You also don't need to kill off main cast members to make the death toll and collateral felt.
    You've been doing great so far. I feel confident that whatever route you choose, you will make it work with what you have already crafted.

Jester of the Moon Cell's Sovereign Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I appreciate your confidence.

It's still a really tricky decision, though, isn't it . . .?

(And I'll be putting up a new "Angle" after this is posted, just so you're not too bored. )
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    . . . And it's been a while, obviously.

Part of the reason for the delay is that I've been considering the concept of casualties; I don't think it'd be entirely realistic for the good guys to get through this without any deaths, but I'm loathe to go the Rowling route of killing people just to kill people.

Thoughts and opinions?

(And yes, I am aware that there's no real dramatic impact in Galen's dying, by now - seeing as he's the only person Shirou knows who doesn't die when he is killed. )
    Did they plan as well as they could?

Did they take as many precautions as they could, including contingencies and preparing the battlefield to a fare-thee-well?

Do they have numerical parity, if not an outright numerical advantage?

Are their enemies, at least the rank and file, incompetent to some extent?

Since this is a battle of magic users, are their people of roughly equal, if not superior, personal strength?

Have they put in better training and tactics then the opposition?

Are their people more disciplined, more coordinated?

Is their medical capability, both in the immediate death-prevention, and the longer term recovery capacity, significant?

Do they have personal protections able to stop the majority of enemy attacks, and the knowledge to dodge what they can't block?

Sometimes one force really has done their jobs well enough to outmatch the enemy to the point they don't lose anyone. As far as I can recall, you've shown enough preparation and build-up on both sides to justify having the good guys pull this off...

...even before you get into the possibilities brought on by luck potions and short-range time travel, not to mention the fact that one side has Noble Phantasm tier artifacts, and the other side doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
    "Earn Shirou's love, Berserker!" Ilya said.

"RRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAARGH!" Berserker said, interpreting this order the way he interpreted most orders: kill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
    "Berserker!" Ilya screamed. "Come find love!"

Berserker exploded into the room with a roar that shook the foundations of the very castle.

"GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" Rin said.

Sweeping down on her faster than the eye could see, Berserker plucked Rin up in his arms and ran off, ignoring her shrieks of protest.

Well, I thought the battle was going too good for the heroes. The girls should have died by hands of Greyback.
    While I understand that protagonists trained most of their lifes, the other students began training only shortly before the battle, after Galen and other came back from the hunt; magically they should inferior to Dumstrang students, who are well versed in dark magic, and certainly know a few tricks Hogwarts students never heard of.
    If you want to make the battle more realistic, you just have to play with numbers - there are certainly more dark wizards, and some creatures they brought should have survived. No matter the amount of training, none of them is on the level of Dumbledore, and superior numbers of the enemy should make some difference.
    Also, Voldy could use dementors; unfortunately, I don't recall if he had done it already, but it would make sense to save them for later, when enemy is magically exhausted, as patronus takes a lot of effort to cast.
    Perhaps Slytherin students could manage to break free and some of then would join the DE.
    Voldemort could use some badass magic - he single handedly took down the wards, so it makes sense to show how dangerous he really is, especially that you made him stronger than he was in cannon, so having him killed by a rock would be anticlimatic - in the bad sense of the word. I had feeling you wanted Shin to kill him; would it not be better is Shin, after tearing through forces of Voldy, was taken out by a single combination of spells?
    There is a lot potential to make this battle more equal and therefore more realistic, and I'd love to see that. Hope my comment will help you in writing next chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Reinholdt View Post
    Crippling people properly can make victories feel more phyrric than the bitterness of their deaths. You also don't need to kill off main cast members to make the death toll and collateral felt.
    You've been doing great so far. I feel confident that whatever route you choose, you will make it work with what you have already crafted.
    Yeah, i have to agree with this. Sometimes having a character survive but be hurt by something is more impactful than simply killing them off. In Final Fantasy 15 for example
    Spoiler:
    when Ignis gets blinded it hurts way more than if he had just died. Because of all the interactions with him dealing with it and everyone else having to deal with him in his new state

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost001 View Post
    Well, I thought the battle was going too good for the heroes. The girls should have died by hands of Greyback.
    I might agree, but canon showed that Lavender and the Patils could at least hold him off with a year's worth of advanced combat training; the fact that said training was in seventh rather than fifth year should, arguably, imply they could do better than that.

While I understand that protagonists trained most of their lifes, the other students began training only shortly before the battle, after Galen and other came back from the hunt; magically they should inferior to Dumstrang students, who are well versed in dark magic, and certainly know a few tricks Hogwarts students never heard of.
    Again, not arguing. In this case, the Elixir and their tactics are making up a lot of the difference.

If you want to make the battle more realistic, you just have to play with numbers - there are certainly more dark wizards, and some creatures they brought should have survived. No matter the amount of training, none of them is on the level of Dumbledore, and superior numbers of the enemy should make some difference.
    Yeah - it's just a matter of figuring out to what degree.

Also, Voldy could use dementors; unfortunately, I don't recall if he had done it already, but it would make sense to save them for later, when enemy is magically exhausted, as patronus takes a lot of effort to cast.
    The Veela played a decent counter, earlier.

Perhaps Slytherin students could manage to break free and some of then would join the DE.
    Maybe . . .

Voldemort could use some badass magic - he single handedly took down the wards, so it makes sense to show how dangerous he really is, especially that you made him stronger than he was in cannon, so having him killed by a rock would be anticlimatic - in the bad sense of the word.
    No arguments.

I had feeling you wanted Shin to kill him; would it not be better is Shin, after tearing through forces of Voldy, was taken out by a single combination of spells?
    . . . I wasn't planning that at all, really.

There is a lot potential to make this battle more equal and therefore more realistic, and I'd love to see that. Hope my comment will help you in writing next chapter.
    Worth thinking about, certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Heart of the Star View Post
    Yeah, i have to agree with this. Sometimes having a character survive but be hurt by something is more impactful than simply killing them off. In Final Fantasy 15 for example
    Spoiler:
    when Ignis gets blinded it hurts way more than if he had just died. Because of all the interactions with him dealing with it and everyone else having to deal with him in his new state
    Fair point. Also worth thinking about.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Looking foward to the remaining loose ends
    I shall serve thy cause, upon my honour, till thy death.
    -Avenger/Jester. Trinity Series.
    Destined Legacies, shamelessly rewriting it since 2010

When I go random.

Blog Entries
    I am working on it, slowly - between work, writer's block, and myriad distractions (which, as of today, includes injury - fell and landed my off-hand's thumb), I'm only up to about 25% completion.

. . . I have been attempting to keep everybody entertained in the interim (via the Angles thread) - but looking back a couple of posts, I hadn't realised it'd been that long, either. I'll do what I can.

EDIT: Still working - up to about 40%, and the scene's 2/3 (?) done. I'll keep working on it tomorrow (Labour Day means I'm off), and either have it or a new Angle up.
    Last edited by Kieran; September 2nd, 2018 at 08:08 PM.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette