Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: What it takes to win (Fate/Stay Night, EXTRA, Zero and Apocrypha)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Apparently, yes....

Ah, I see.

I guess that figures, really. She's not a bad person, at all, but she has little choice but to obey Zouken.

Well, the issue is them getting out of it at all, really....

Well, she certainly wouldn't like that, no. That doesn't mean she'd immediately abandon any attempt to win, though.

Well, yes, I guess this is true.
    More like Zouken has broken her so badly obedience is the only thing she has left. Without Shirou, Kariya was the only person who cared about her, and he died. She's so despaired she thinks she has no way of escaping, and Zouken made it pretty clear he has ways to punish her if she don't obey.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidHerald View Post
    More like Zouken has broken her so badly obedience is the only thing she has left. Without Shirou, Kariya was the only person who cared about her, and he died. She's so despaired she thinks she has no way of escaping, and Zouken made it pretty clear he has ways to punish her if she don't obey.
    Well, that's true in canon, pretty much. Shirou helps a little, but she's still generally obedient to Zouken. She simply has no alternative.

Sakura is a very strong girl, though. She might be somewhat broken, but it's never fundamental. She is perfectly capable of fighting back if given the chance.

Blog Entries
    Great chapter. Your really getting me in the stories mood and letting me fall into the story.

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Caskooooo~! ^3^

Wow, so many interesting developments this chapter! I'm liking this, really likin' it.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmm, hang on, if masters die when they use all their command spells, then how is Caster's old master still alive if he broke the contract with Caster?

I live in the fiery depths of an Octopus's garden in the SHADE!
    Hmm, hang on, if masters die when they use all their command spells, then how is Caster's old master still alive if he broke the contract with Caster?
    My penname can explain it. This is a fine example of foreshadowing, Deus ex Machina, and a whole lot of Tamamohaxx. Does that make sense?
    A profound assessment of fanfiction, in general.

Apparently, I'm okay at writing quests. Neat.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    So basically...

You don't like your own rules and so you already decide to break them...

Yeah...this does not sound like great storytelling to me...

The Command Spells stay on the body, even if a contract is broken by mutual consent. Shirou never gained any new Command Spell. The original Master is a Servantless Master, but he's still one. Remember that time in Fate Zero, when Kirei had Command Spells, but no Servant? It's the same situation. It isn't done usually because, when you have supernatural killers after you, you generally don't separate from your equally supernatural bodyguard.

Ars Poetica: no, it doesn't make sense. "have a eureka moment" THAT IS WHY THE UNIVERSE EXISTS! BECAUSE CASTER ALLOWS IT!

Harouki: nope, no rule breaking... just loopholes and Chekov's Gun.
    Last edited by VoidHerald; August 10th, 2012 at 05:16 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The Command Spells stay on the body, even if a contract is broken by mutual consent. Shirou never gained any new Command Spell. The original Master is a Servantless Master, but he's still one. Remember that time in Fate Zero, when Kirei had Command Spells, but no Servant? It's the same situation. It isn't done usually because, when you have supernatural killers after you, you generally don't separate from your equally supernatural bodyguard.

Ars Poetica: no, it doesn't make sense. "have a eureka moment" THAT IS WHY THE UNIVERSE EXISTS! BECAUSE CASTER ALLOWS IT!

Harouki: nope, no rule breaking... just loopholes and Chekov's Gun.
    Ah, OK, I see.

So, if the servant dies or the contract is broken, the master still retains command spells and, thus, does not die?

Presumably the rule about the command spells disappearing when you don't consider yourself a master any more no longer applies....

Ah, OK, I see.

So, if the servant dies or the contract is broken, the master still retains command spells and, thus, does not die?

Presumably the rule about the command spells disappearing when you don't consider yourself a master any more no longer applies....

Yes. Even a Servantless Master is still considered a Master. And nope, not wishing to be a Master won't remove the spells. Here is the complete list of the rules imprinted in Servants' mind:

1: 49 people are designed as Masters after voicing their wish. The only criteria is the will to have a wish granted. As such, even non-magi or non-humans can be chosen. A member from the Tohsaka, Makiri and Einzbern lines is automatically chosen as their representative. A Servant can become a Master, if there are still unclaimed places.

2: Each Master automatically receives a Servant as protector and partner. The Servant summoned depends on either the use of a catalyst present during the summoning, or on the Master's nature, needs, and personality, in order to increase the chances of teamwork. The class is chosen among Saber, Archer, Lancer, Rider, Caster, Assassin and Berserker. There shall be seven Servants for each class.

3: A Master receives three Command Spells, each able to give one absolute order to the Servant, that cannot be removed by modern means or redistributed. The Command Spells stay on dead bodies. Cutting the body part where the Spells are situated cause them to reappear somewhere else on the main body, if the Master is alive. Use of all Command Spells results in instant death for the branded Master.

4: A contract between a Master and Servant can be cut or established by mutual consent, breaking or making a prana connection between them. As such, a Master can get rid of a Servant without any harm, and a Servant can find a new Master. However, the Command Spells do not move. A Master having severed a contract with a Servant will keep them and still be considered a servantless Master, even if unable to use the Command Spells on its former Servant, unless a new contract is established. A Servant can only have one Master, but a Master can have multiple Servants.

5: The Grail shall only appear when only one person with Command Spells on the body is still alive. All Servants not having formed a contract with the winning Master shall instantly die. Even if the winning Master is servantless, the Grail shall still grant its wish. The Servants of the winning Master will have their wish realized as well.

Now, have fun trying to guess the loopholes.
    Last edited by VoidHerald; August 10th, 2012 at 09:21 AM.

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A Servant can become a Master, if there are still unclaimed places.
    >.<

I have a nasty feeling about this one more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hmm....

3: A Master receives three Command Spells, each able to give one absolute order to the Servant, that cannot be removed by modern means or redistributed.
    Hmm, well, what about non-modern means...?

5: The Grail shall only appear when only one person with Command Spells on the body is still alive. All Servants not having formed a contract with the winning Master shall instantly die. Even if the winning Master is servantless, the Grail shall still grant its wish. The Servants of the winning Master will have their wish realized as well.
    [/COLOR]
    Well, if you don't care about winning, that's not so much of an issue, is it...?

Quote Originally Posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
    >.<

I have a nasty feeling about this one more than anything.
    Yep, and Medea won't be the only trying this.

Hmm, well, what about non-modern means...?

Well, if you don't care about winning, that's not so much of an issue, is it...?
    For non-modern means, yes, it's a plot point. For the non-winning issue... if only one Master remains, then it theoretically means 48 are dead. And bar a few exceptions, most of the chosen Masters want to win. It's a big issue since it means even pacifist Masters WILL be targeted.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    For non-modern means, yes, it's a plot point.
    Yeah, I thought it might be....

For the non-winning issue... if only one Master remains, then it theoretically means 48 are dead. And bar a few exceptions, most of the chosen Masters want to win.
    Well, yes, but the group that isn't trying to win includes both Rin and Shirou, and will likely be added to as the story goes on....

It's a big issue since it means even pacifist Masters WILL be targeted.
    Well, yes, but that's true in the normal Grail War too. The only difference here is that you have to kill them rather than just their servant.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    The second chapter actually got me into this, before I wasn't quite sure what to think of this. Thank you for the quick update.

As for Shirou... most of his character development is based on his fear to become like Kiritsugu, like the 'Mind of Steel' ending.
    I take it that after Arturia starts talking more about Kiritsugu Shirou will become more and more appalled to the idea of behaving like Kiritsugu? Otherwise I don't see why he wouldn't want to go full Mind of Steel. I personally don't like him trying to look and act like Kiritsugu and would like for him to start becoming more like himself, except maybe less broken. I suppose this is this Shirou's way of coping with his loss and the fire, but I would like to see him go and develop his own personality, rather than try and be Kiritsugu.
    Last edited by Malgos; August 10th, 2012 at 04:26 PM.

Yes. Even a Servantless Master is still considered a Master. And nope, not wishing to be a Master won't remove the spells. Here is the complete list of the rules imprinted in Servants' mind:

1: 49 people are designed as Masters after voicing their wish. The only criteria is the will to have a wish granted. As such, even non-magi or non-humans can be chosen. A member from the Tohsaka, Makiri and Einzbern lines is automatically chosen as their representative. A Servant can become a Master, if there are still unclaimed places.

2: Each Master automatically receives a Servant as protector and partner. The Servant summoned depends on either the use of a catalyst present during the summoning, or on the Master's nature, needs, and personality, in order to increase the chances of teamwork. The class is chosen among Saber, Archer, Lancer, Rider, Caster, Assassin and Berserker. There shall be seven Servants for each class.

3: A Master receives three Command Spells, each able to give one absolute order to the Servant, that cannot be removed by modern means or redistributed. The Command Spells stay on dead bodies. Cutting the body part where the Spells are situated cause them to reappear somewhere else on the main body, if the Master is alive. Use of all Command Spells results in instant death for the branded Master.

4: A contract between a Master and Servant can be cut or established by mutual consent, breaking or making a prana connection between them. As such, a Master can get rid of a Servant without any harm, and a Servant can find a new Master. However, the Command Spells do not move. A Master having severed a contract with a Servant will keep them and still be considered a servantless Master, even if unable to use the Command Spells on its former Servant, unless a new contract is established. A Servant can only have one Master, but a Master can have multiple Servants.

Guess the loopholes huh? You ebil person you. Let's see the Servant being a Master practically screams it. Command Seals only relocate on the body when alive but stay on a dead body right? That mean that you could take a dead person's seals without issue I'm thinking. Oh I've got an idea. Send someone into a temporary death state, take their Command Seals, and then revive them. Would that be possible?
    Spoiler:
    As a general rule I hold no opinions that I have not been paid to hold.
    I am now a beta, so if you need help with a story feel free to ask.

Words of wisdom from ItsaRandomUsername:
    "Pssh, with proper writing almost anything can be logical. If it can work believably, then there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Please note the keywords: "proper" and "almost". Bad storytelling mixed with nonsensical couplings are the drunk-driving of literature."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiam View Post
    Nothing helps you mature more than a little murder, especially in the Nasuverse.
    We are Beast's Lair!
    Derailer among derailers!
    Look upon the continuity of thy threads ye mighty, and DESPAIR!

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewind View Post
    Guess the loopholes huh? You ebil person you. Let's see the Servant being a Master practically screams it. Command Seals only relocate on the body when alive but stay on a dead body right? That mean that you could take a dead person's seals without issue I'm thinking. Oh I've got an idea. Send someone into a temporary death state, take their Command Seals, and then revive them. Would that be possible?
    Command seals come off, you die! Take all but one and you have yourself a business in seal gathering.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KooriRenchuu View Post
    Command seals come off, you die! Take all but one and you have yourself a business in seal gathering.
    The problem is, that doesn't get around the basic issue that, to gain a wish, the other masters all have to be killed. There's no point in collecting command spells if you have no use for them.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    The problem is, that doesn't get around the basic issue that, to gain a wish, the other masters all have to be killed. There's no point in collecting command spells if you have no use for them.
    Not everyone is a nice person, so being able to take commands seals to empower your Servant is great for them.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I was just pointing out a flaw in nitewind's logic.