Page 38 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2833363738394043 ... LastLast

Thread: DDD

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I've been pretty tired lately.

TL note 1: That which you should read
    It seems that "batter tickets" means ones that win when the batter loses, and vice versa for "pitcher tickets". This allows to explain about 80% of situations related to them, and for everything else just blame Nasu. Or the Russian translator.

Not really "TL" note 2: The one you shouldn't read if you're taking DDD seriously and not as a Nasu work
    Fun minigame: try to find all the occasions where Arika derps, failing to make obvious conclusions for a while, repeating those he did come to a few lines later or focusing on the weirdest things. Is he developing a realistic mental disorder? That's, like, a first for Nasu.

Anyway, here we are. Day 4: A duel fought with balls.
    (10.08)

The green hillside is curving upwards.
    There's a fragrant smell of dirt and grass.
    On my both sides, as far as eye can see, the wild nature lit by the midsummer sun is waving in the wind.
    Amid this scenery a municipal bus is riding towards a forest stop.
    It's the day after meeting Kirisu — Tuesday, the tenth of August.
    In this bus, booked for a week, I'm riding in the company by a broad-shouldered man with a pale face.
    Seems to be over forty, of an average build, but very skinny.
    He's wearing a business suit of such quality that even I, not knowing the differences between brands, thought: "He must be comfortable and cool in this…" The colour of the face wasn't that good, but he had well-bred features, reminding me of a British lord. Such people don't normally use municipal transport at 10 AM.
    He looked tired. Shoulders powerlessly slumped, eyes empty, he resembled a withered plant. He's probably going either home or to some restaurant to eat. However, the forest is the end station. No one lives around here. The fields and forests are abundant, but I don't think this is a good picnic zone.
    "…"
    I feel a bad premonition. Even I, not aware of dangers, can easily understand: "I'm going to see something bad."
    In the end, the gentleman gets off at Torinonori.
    I took care to leave after he did, but he didn't notice my presence at all anyway. I follow him into the forest. The mouse-grey suit is five meters before me.
    "Damn. This earl grey is really going to the reservoir."
    It's easy to understand even without a feeling of danger.
    It's likely an important guest to Karyou-san. It's not good to bother them, so I stop.
    The gentleman opens the reservoir door and disappears underground.
    Hiding behind an old tree, I keep watch. Half an hour passes.
    Nothing changes. The gentleman doesn't come out. The sun is getting hotter. Sweat drops unpleasantly roll down my forehead… Yes. On the topic of unpleasant things, that face of his. Those excited eyes when he saw the underground corridor. These beads showing a frozen mind. Nasty eyes, like a bird's.
    "I have to go. He said he'll cut my salary if I'm late."
    This is work… I have to get the prosthesis before the evening. I can't run away. I saw nothing. I really was just half an hour late, I saw nothing. Convincing myself, I open the door.
    I walk through the impenetrable darkness. In a few steps there's a door. I can't hear any voices behind it.
    I pass through the darkness towards the sea floor. A cubic European room. Square walls and heavy doors. I only ever opened the south one, the entrance.
    The bed in the middle I'm used to by now, where Karyou Kaie greets the visitor with his normal smile.
    "Good morning, Arika. You're late."
    "…"
    There are no changes in the room. The dungeon is as usual. I don't see the black dog or the fish. Kaie has his four limbs equipped even without me.
    Thus everything is unbearably anomalous.
    "Hmm. Did anyone come here before me?"
    "Yeah, there was one just now. Was all like, I'm possessed, save me."
    He smiles happily. It's a malicious smile, resembling a crescent moon.
    Oh… I, thick-skinned as I am, can't look into his eyes out of fear?
    "U-understood. Where is he?"
    "I don't know. If you can't see him, he's probably not here any more, right?"
    "Right?" — the black-haired beauty asks for my agreement… If you look closely, his face looks better than usual, he's full of life, his mouth bursting with vitality.
    "So… that's how it is. So he isn't in this room."
    Hiding the shaking in my knees, I somehow crawl to the sofa.
    "Hard to say. He isn't in this world any more, but he may still be in the room."
    The black right hand, reminding me of a crane, passes over his abdomen, covered with a blue pyjama. His finger stops over his stomach. I'm creeped out.
    "You mean…"
    I have goosebumps all over me. Wh-wh-wh-wh-what is this? Am I a victim under a snake's gaze? Why is there such a horrible chill going through my veins?!
    "So. Why were you late today, Arika?"
    My throat contracts with a whimper. But I'm not ashamed at all. The pressure is such that even if I did manage not to do this it still wouldn't end well.
    "Well, actually… My relatives had a misfortune happen to grandmother, and I…"
    I suddenly use an excuse of the kind employed when you really don't want to go to work. It doesn't matter how many grannies or grandpas the relatives have got. The important thing is to have my conscience allow tricks like "Even if it makes a dozen people miserable, I'm still on a vacation". A natural thought genocide… Anyway, I use such an argument, and my employer looks at me ascant with a calm eye.
    "Oho, well, whatever. This granny really cared for her nephew. Such a timely death. A real selfless rescue. Of both me and Arika."
    "Rescue? What do you mean?"
    "Well… If you saw, I'd have to… as well."
    The blue silhouette licks its lips. Ugh, it looks like a vixen of a wife. For a moment I almost got excited, forgetting about fear… Perhaps that's how spider neuroparalytical poison works.
    "Anyway, jokes aside. Get me a drink from the fridge, Arika. My throat is as dry as a desert."
    I specifically don't ask why is his throat so dry.
    Carried to the fridge on my uncooperative legs, I grab a pack of fruit juice.
    "It's a really strange quality — normally unlucky, but when a critical moment comes, getting out unscathed. Aah, maybe that's what they call "cruel fate"."
    Evidently liking his own joke, the master sitting on the bed hides his smile.
    There's no need to ask what's so lucky.
    Since the fate of a random murder witness would be tragic, hiding outside for half an hour was a wise decision… I have enough self-confidence to believe I'll live through every day even though I'm walking on the edge of the abyss, but when there's a tiger's maw snapping before my very eyes it's kinda unnerving.

The sun sets, and my workday comes to an end.
    I ask for the prosthesis, and Kaie lets me have it for a single day.
    "I wanted you to only use it when there's a clear goal, and get used to it little by little. But today, since I'm in a good mood, I'll allow this. Use it carefully, not for dangerous things."
    What did he want to say? Probably for me not to break the prosthesis, but to cross the line myself anyway.
    I check my notes just in case. They say Mato-san had a point telling me 'to get something for self-defence before the next time". In a small font. Careless handwriting screaming about hurry, as though the boss is constantly watching me. I likely scribbled this in the toilet.
    "I don't really want to ponder about what happened during the day, but…"
    It seems I can take it no longer. I was turning away, forgetting everything about the day, for far too long. It's time to seriously think about my relationship with this young master.

"Wow, what's this? What a brutal prosthesis."
    Shikura station, east entrance.
    Kirisu came on time, at 8, and made a face upon seeing me.
    I can understand him. No one wears long sleeves in the summer without a strong personal creed. I don't have one. So my left hand sticks out of a thin half-sleeve, attracting attention to the grim prosthesis, black like tar.
    "Hmm. I knew people would be bothered, but for you to turn away… Should I out my left hand in a long sleeve?"
    "Nah, no need. Forget it, this may work out, they'll think it's a tattoo."
    Kirisu tosses a bat case at me. Almost having reached out with my prosthesis, I quickly catch it with my right.
    At this time the park before the Shikura station becomes a Mecca for SVS.
    A small crowd is making noise as about forty people are closely watching a duel fought with balls. Either there weren't enough good spots or they just wanted to feel the atmosphere, but at some distance from the battlefield, on the benches and roads, another forty are wandering. The bright lights over the field finishes the picture that resembles a peaceful night least of all.
    "Aren't there any patrols?"
    "They did visit a few time early on. But there's a permission to use the park, and the patrol officers are just humble workers. If they spend whole days on dragging hundreds of boys to the station they'll fall apart."
    Also they seem to gather in other places too. Well, if they don't foresee any happenings, the police don't roll up their sleeves.
    "There's not a lot today, though. The game of the phone owners was announced just an hour ago. Usually the games are announced half a day in advance, and huge crowds gather."
    So that's it. Today the match is regulated, and too huge a crowd would be a bother. So only those who are here for the money and adrenaline, the slouches and fans, are here.
    There's a game going on.
    Both batter and pitcher look about 18.
    They seem to be either studying each other or trying to measure the flight time based on the distance. It's funny to watch. A scuffle between the first batter and pitcher always brings joy to a baseball lover's heart.
    The gallery feels this as well. No, they're gathering in a circle near the special spot, on the sides behind the batter, probably exactly because they understand.
    Seems to be a popular player — there are only girls at the special spot, horse, damn, pitcher tickets in their hands. Apparently that fans are betting is irrelevant.
    The right-handed pitcher prepares for a high ball. There are no running throws in SVS, and wind-up is the norm, but he didn't use it.
    Understanding that this is the last fight, the pitcher almost breaks the usual timing. His hand with the index and middle fingers raised in a victory gesture grips the ball. The fingers make the serve form obvious. A fork. The screwball, spinning tens of times per second, suddenly loses speed before the batter and falls. It's said that the pitcher wins if he hits, but most of the field is marked with crosses as an out zone. A bound outside of the field is an out. The point of the serve is not to get a strike-out through batter missing, but to make the bat send the ball into an out zone.
    However, the spinning wasn't fast enough. The fork probably wasn't the pitcher's strong point. The ball didn't dive enough to fool the batter's eye and disappeared between the short-stop and third base with a nice ring.
    Sad cries were heard from the special spot. Seems the pitcher was the girls' favourite.
    "Let's go. It's show time soon."
    Kirisu drags me to the field.
    The former spectators are gathered near the orange flagpole.
    Among them is a professional-looking bookmaker with batter tickets in hand.

"What a shame! That's why pretty pitcher boys are not to be trusted… Anyway, how can you do a fork you don't know at such an important moment, dude… uhh, mm, sempai?"

I want to pretend I saw nothing, but it's too late.
    The clothing lets the teenagers know the difference in wallet size — it's casual wear, simple at the first glance, but expensive. The high-born mannerisms of a bookmaker, standing out but pointing their place to persistent boys… Of course, the girl excited by the bets was Tsuranui Mihaya-san.

"Mm… So, there's too much I want to say at once…"
    Tsuranui sulkily eyes me and Kirisu. She evidently didn't want exactly us to show up.
    "Shush. We have serious business here. Nothing to do with gambling idiots."
    "I'm serious too. Kirisu-san, you called your friend you haven't seen for a year an idiot. Did your chicken head get even older? You're like a century-old marasmatic."
    "Agh! Well, you don't change at all, that's for sure… If not for these people, I'd kick you. Be proud, Tsuranui, you're the first dumb woman I've raised my hand at."
    Giggling, with happy smiles they drill each other with their stares. They said in the school Kirisu and Tsuranui were under a curse of lifelong mutual vilification. It's still in full power, but it seems these two haven't seen each other since school.
    "Well, I'm going, Kirisu."
    "Oh! Okay, do you remember what we talked about? Show them!"
    The brown-haired pitcher is already tired of waiting for the opponent.
    He enthusiastically came to the official gathering, and that he was going to face not Kirisu, but some replacement newbie, and that Kirisu himself was chatting with a girl in the gallery, was definitely angering him.
    "Eeeh? Sempai, are you going?!"
    "Uh huh. So, I'm gonna go make it an out."
    "What's this!.."
    Tsuranui's eyes began shining.
    She probably figured out that Kirisu and I have a cunning plan even though she knew nothing. She instantly made a beeline to buy a ton of batter tickets. And I went to the next batter circle, bat in right hand.
    Tsuranui made a dead loop to the special spot, returned:
    "Sempai, I don't know what's your plan, but do it! Make them halt their breaths… do him in!"
    She showered me with support with an expectant face.
    I won't ponder about a couple of places in her speech, though…
    Standing in the circle with a straight back, I move my left hand to the bat. "Ooh!" — that's Kirisu and Tsuranui. Surprised — so prosthetics are already that good!
    Swinging around a little for the public, I go to the batter box. The brown-haired pitcher knew from my swings that I'm not an enemy and changed his scowl to a smirk.
    And the game began.
    It was over quickly, in three balls.

The brownie was a typical right-handed high-baller. What is a high ball? You raise your hand and throw, as most pitchers do. It's strengths are fast balls and vertical screwballs. It's also known as the base position.
    He didn't use any special tricks, just served fast balls well. Getting into officials meant his speed was incredible, easily 130 km/h. His maximum is probably 140. Due to this confidence of his he did two strikes in a row without probing the enemy.
    Third serve. With no wind-up he makes a step forward, smirking. His axle leg isn't trembling — a testament to the accumulated training. The abdomen, body's axle is unshaking, the loin, key to the serve, has it's muscles developed as well.
    Uh huh. Really, not bad.
    The raised foot steps forward. The body, opened to the side, unwinds like a spring. The power is born in the ankles and reaches the fingertips. The human's muscle, all his physical abilities are concentrated in the seven-centimetre ball.
    Great. A movement perfectly similar to the first and second serve. A pitch without hesitation. A straight into the lower part of the dead zone, full of confidence and power. The ball's course is perfect. It's said that if you do this right, it's simply impossible to hit.
    "……, …"
    A step in tact with the ball's departure, an effortless transit of the centre of mass into take-back.
    Wait a minute. Indeed, a speedball arriving in half a second is a pitcher's bread and butter, but you're not a batting centre machine, so if your unchanging simple throw is hit, you have nothing to complain about…
    "Mh… Oop."
    And yeah. You can manage to aim somewhat on the third try.
    Thoomm! — the bat soundly rang.
    And so the duel was settled.
    The stunned brownie, hit into the line-drive.
    Kirisu whistles, impressed.
    "Ooh!" — the gallery rages.
    "Awesome!… What a sharp hit, sempai!" — scattering the batter tickets that haven't played out, the one who gets the last laugh mysteriously exclaims.

"It's always like this! At the last moment Arika-sempai betrays any expectations!"
    We changed location to a bar nearby.
    We decided to celebrate in the "Star and cloud" dining bar.
    "Sorry, sorry. The opponent was too green, my hands moved on their own, anyway, third time lucky… In any case, he was conditioning my reflex himself… Oh, miss, some more ulun! Oh yeah, and that cold Italian pasta with pork, does it have tomatoes in it? No? Then I'll have one… So, Tsuranui, it was just an accident, I totally didn't want to ruin you."
    "Liar. But this Kirisu-san over here wagered for the batter's victory!"
    "Oh, really, Kirisu?"
    "Hm? Aah, well, yeah, like, my position obliged. Since you came to bat instead of me, I bet on you, think of it as an apology."
    "Uh huh… Well, no one lost anything, so let's leave it at this?"
    There are some strange things, but Tsuranui's presence makes an interrogation impossible.
    "I did looose! Here's a victim of a big looooss! I demand consolaaatiooon. In money equivalent. …Listen, I seriously bet all of my monthly allowance… on this…"
    She gets sad in the middle of the phrase and sulks. Although she got into this herself, I'm partially responsible. Or maybe not.
    "Kirisu. Can you advise her some place to work on the side?"
    "Nah. This woman never worked since school. If you throw her out into society, there'll be something like a fire. Though she does keep the balance."
    "Well sorry, they just don't let me work, groom me. Fiiine, boo-boo, I'll just get some in advance. Better than asking hoodlums like Kirisu-san."
    This advance is already well over ten years ahead, or so the unconfirmed urban legend says. Either Tsuranui is shameless or her parents spoil her. Probably both, yeah.
    "And you, Arika-sempai? Part-time job? If not, I can find one."
    "I'm sick of being your tutor! And yeah, I do have a job."
    "Oh-ho!"
    Damn… Just remembering the hellish house arrest in Tsuranui's house made me blurt out something I shouldn't have.
    "Who? Where? In Shikura? How much? Do you have Saturdays off?"
    "…"
    And now it's way worse — Tsuranui is interested in my job. She won't let me go until she knows everything.
    "Halfway from Shikura to the airport, where the fields are, you know? I'm a caretaker there. Questions?"
    "Ooh, a caretaker. Uh huh. So that's it. You were looking for such a humane job… Is it a woman?"
    'Like hell', — I almost let out, but wait, what's it really? I shut up. Here I am, unable to assure myself that my boss is a man, and anyway, it's doubtful he's a human.
    "Oh-ho-ho!.."
    Tsuranui's eyes shine. It's the second case of them emitting light today. Is she a monster?
    "You'll introduce me no matter what. Well, fine. Sempai, you managed to swing a bat. The former form, though, is gone."
    "Yeah! I was stunned too. You said you wouldn't be able to yesterday."
    They gaze at not-my left arm. I can't tell them what it really is so I decide to confuse them. I don't know anything about it myself, after all.
    "This doesn't matter, but Kirisu, tell me, how did "Koalas" fail so hard this year? I think they were, like, ten points ahead at the preliminaries."
    I heard something like that in the corner of my ear last week and direct the conversation flow towards this.
    As far as I know, the KouraKou's baseball club's team was the strongest last year, as was the on from Koalagaoka. The latter even built a new building for the club, that's how powerful they were. But…
    "Oh. Arika, didn't you see the last year's match?"
    "The TV is hotly contested in the clinic, I couldn't get one to watch. Though I didn't really want to. So what happened?"
    "I dunno what's going on in their school. Only thing is, their starter changed."
    "The ace left the mound, what's more, he did so suddenly, on the day of the match. Then a second-year took the spot, but her serves were easily hit."
    "Second year means first year for me, right? Oh, Sekura Yumiya, right?"
    "Yup, right, that Sekura candy. She wasn't a bad pitcher, actually. But when she was taken out of the reserve and put right at the start, naturally, she didn't have the spirit."
    I and Kirisu snort.
    They say it's as though Koalagaoka's club was cursed from that point on, and this year they only managed to stay in the top four.
    And our alma mater, KouraKou, calmed down and, as it was before, returned to the pastorally-unhurried baseball play. The team, led by a single genius leader, came to its logical conclusion.
    "…"
    Upon mentioning the alma mater everyone sank into memories.
    After a short pause Tsuranui softly, as though to herself, said:
    "I don't know yet… Why did you abandon baseball, sempai?"
    "Well, I didn't as such. I just couldn't any more. Actually I never got an occasion after graduating."
    "Yes, but still. Haven't you considered going pro?"
    "Come on. Our team was of a different sort. Say, Kirisu? Did you play baseball aiming to become a pro?"
    "Nah, no."
    Kirisu shakes his head.
    Both I and Kirisu loved baseball, but didn't have such a wish. Kirisu thought especially consistently, which often got him into conflicts with our spartan trainer.
    'The most important thing in sports is whether the fight was proper. I don't get how can they calculate victories or losses even before that.'
    This was after the exhausting training in the school. Kirisu slightly discontentedly muttered that.
    Just knowing how to play baseball was enough for us. The victories and losses came after that. I think it was after those words by Kirisu Yaichiro that Ishizue Arika took up the bat.
    "So the baseball was only during school? You too, Kirisu-san?"
    Probably. It's hard to play after that. And anyway, it's not only baseball we had to give up. A ton of other interesting things, too."
    "Perhaps. But still — it was fun, wasn't it?"
    Tsuranui is right, as usual. Even discoloured a bit, those days weren't in vain.
    Kirisu, the one who said there's a ton of fun things, didn't take up baseball in school because there was nothing else. He wasn't a genius or a pro, but he deeply loved baseball, so he abandoned other things and bet his youth on it.
    "But, you know… In short, the dream ended."
    Backing off while saving face — one of Kirisu Yaichiro's strong sides.
    He's truly an untroubled, making one wonder where did he get this detachedness at his age, nineteen-years old old man.

We see Tsuranui to the industrial zone and turn back towards the station.
    I'm going to the dorm, and Kirisu still has things to do. We don't talk. Somehow Tsuranui's question struck us.
    "Say, Kirisu…"
    "What's it, Ishizue-sempai? I don't want to chat about various nonsense."
    "You have a good intuition, but damn, abandon that sempai… I just wanted to ask you too. Did you leave baseball easily?"
    "…"
    Last year I was in the Origa clinic. I didn't see how did it end for the friend who said his dream was over.
    "I left it. The dumbass is right, it was awesome in the club. I wasn't going for pro and had no talent, but still, I thought it'd be great to keep on like this… But, well, I was different. I knew how to play baseball and realized it was only while we were in school… And barely managed to hide it."
    "Aah. But now there's SVS, right?"
    "Well, yeah. But actually I decided not to participate. It happens, at times I suddenly find myself in the reserve, but someone always plays in mt stead. I haven't been in the box since the third year's summer."
    Baseball was only for school to him?
    Almost clinical pragmatism.
    "Is there any reason? As a former club member, do you make bets?"
    "That's not it… To be honest, to me baseball ended in the autumn of the second year. I kept on until the third's summer, now that I think of it, only because of my stupidity."
    Nothing to say after such words.
    Suddenly I realized we were already near "Marion". We stop near the 13th's entrance.
    "Ah. But you're different. Since you hit today, you're now an official member. I'll handle closing the case, and you enjoy the game. The golden four is a king's mark. If you're challenged, you can't back off. To be able to play anywhere, keep the bat on you."
    "Tch. You reminded me. But are you sure you want to give it to me?"
    "There's a ton of these things around. And anyway, I said I didn't need one. There are three pitchers this season. The ace is hiding, but he'll come out in time… Yeah. If you're gonna bat anyway, then come on, win, Slugger."
    Bye! — with that Kirisu Yaichiro leaves.
    I closely inspect the bat case entrusted to me. The bat was pretty battered and well maintained for an unneeded one.

The first week of August ended without any accidents, the second is also peacefully half over. But the situation, scorning the false calm, slowly develops somewhere far from me. As usual, the suffering night bugs are whirling around behind the mosquito net, portending the best, and in this environment Ishizue Arika always felt great.

This marks the end of S.vs.S-1 and the beginning of my week-long break. Which might as well be up to two weeks from your viewpoint, seeing as I tend to release on weekends.
    Quote Originally Posted by ほうれん草 View Post
    STOP SHOOTING EACH OTHER YOU FUCKERS

I'm trying to watch anime FFS

Blog Entries
    Thanks, and enjoy your break!

JP Friend Code
    Finally got the time to catch up, thanks to enhance and desuclocker

JP Friend Code
    577,587,785/RRahkshi
    Just caught up myself. Thanks again Desu, enjoy the rest of your well deserved break!
    Spoiler:
    (All credit on Aron Headbutt on Youtube)

I would translate more to mark the end of the break, but… A bottle of absinthe and 3 friends. Hope you understand. Please enjoy this teaser and await my proper return.
    Synchrostep, takeback. Move, top, impact.

In this moment the whole body becomes a spring.
    Whatever feint is approaching, I'll smash it apart with a single hit.
    The movement trained to perfection, horizontal spinning of the hips and vertical of the shoulders.
    The swing instantly accelerates with minimum strain.
    At a speed of 40 meters per second the tip of the bat touches the white 7-centimetre ball.
    The hundred of monotone days left behind is burned in a single batting.
    The body developed only for the hit complains, trembling.
    This is a modern battlefield.
    A hot Colosseum where neither flesh nor bone is taken away.
    The only thing there are bets on is sport passion. A paradise in midsummer that revels in the voices of fan crowds.

To defend it I defiled everything myself.
    Missed the hit.
    A pitifully weak swing.
    As though the frozen time has the third period as a deadline.

Amazed, I feel delivering the hit I was preparing myself for.

And then…
    I learned for the first time what a bone fracture sounds like.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________S.vs.S-2

WARNING: Through an elaborate accident I missed 2 chapters out of S.vs.S-1. Proceed at your own risk.

Suddenly, a proper chapter. Now it stops being silly.

6/Slugger. (bottom)

"Cool. Maybe he can live with me for a while?"

So Kirisu Yaichiro's grandfather, a baseball player himself before the war, said, looking at the six years old boy.
    It's definitely here that the chance showed itself. Regardless of the tight family budget, his parents bought Yaichiro a bat and patted his head, sating that if he seriously loves baseball he should seriously practice it.
    Mom and dad were unhurried people without any impressive talents, but one could be proud of them.
    Apparently he never was praised, and thus he didn't listen to advice from the side and never devoted himself to baseball.
    Childhood years. Disappointing the grandfather, he lived as he pleased, never coming close to baseball.
    Although he did play amateur baseball with his classmates in elementary school, he didn't prepare to these meetings. The bat seemed to him a treasure, and he walked around with it, not to do sports, but to satisfy the childish thirst for adventure.
    Kirisu Yaichiro first came in contact with actual baseball two years later. In the second grade autumn he seriously took up the bat and swung it everyday after meeting one of his future friends. Once he was heading to Nozu to find a new place to play and suddenly noticed a boy a year younger than himself who was throwing a ball at a wall.
    The small, scrawny boy was throwing his ball over and over for a long, long time.
    He began when the sky wasn't yet red and kept on until it was almost below the horizon.
    The boy was concentrated, but not passionate.
    A throw, another throw, each one strong but disinterested. He was disgusted. Constrained by no one, he kept on throwing the ball, sighing in the end: "Shouldn't have begun", — and went home. Yaichiro watched this for a few days and then distractedly spoke to him.

"Can I join you? Well, if I'm a batter, it'll be baseball."

Why did he speak to the boy? Something pushed him, but he couldn't remember what exactly… Well, he probably won't ever remember by now. The reason was a pretty insignificant conclusion, but one you couldn't just shrug off.
    "Who are you?"
    The boy looked at the older one carrying a bat with doubt, but was too tired to even chase him away and thus agreed.

From that day baseball began for Kirisu Yaichiro.

The boy was called Iguruma Kazumi. A first-year from another school, well-known in Nozu, has no father.

"What, Yaichi? Started baseball even though you didn't like it?"
    Father, happy about the son's passion, tactfully softly supported his decision so as not to embarrass him.
    At that time grandfather already parted with the idea of adopting Yaichiro, but mother was captivated by the attractiveness of the idea and had some hopes for his talent. She proposed him to enter the Junior league, 'since you took up baseball', but he didn't agree — wasn't interested. He didn't know the kids there, and the adults' mugs were too cocky. After all, for him baseball was a special game, one where close friends compete.

"Hi, Iguruma. I have a new ball."
    They met in the industrial district of Nozu, in the park-yard of an uninhabited building.
    Their playing the game of baseball, beginning from a small thing, became a regular activity in less than a week. Were Kazumi's serves out of the ordinary? Was Kirisu's batting out of the ordinary? Not even aware of baseball's small rules, they simply played "throw the ball — hit the ball", refining their techniques day after day and raising the difficulty accordingly.
    If they had a spectator, they wouldn't believe these were elementary schoolers. Not only because of their technique: their concentration was not that of a child. These were two fully serious, uncompromising duellists.

"Grandad says that it's not baseball without a catcher. And that batter must play against a pitcher and a catcher. And that leaving a pitcher alone won't do."

Their overly tense game became almost funny. To play properly they needed a catcher. Kirisu didn't want that inwardly, but, contrary to his expectations, Kazumi was happy with the idea of a third friend.

"Okay. If you brought him, Kirisu, I trust him. Anyway, I botch often. I need to free up my head, or I'm never going to beat you."

A pitcher needs a smart catcher.
    Glad that his friend with a hard character trusts him, Kirisu discarded the petty alertness and began looking for a catcher comrade. A friend from the "on the grass" baseball came up. He loved baseball, but his parents couldn't let him into the Junior league, and he took interest in Kirisu and Iguruma's game.

"Well, yeah, and everyone loving baseball went to the Junior. You'll be batting, right? I forgot when was the last time the ball reached me. If you will, I'll be happy to join."

The third boy was the perfect middle between Kirisu and Kazumi. By skill, character and family circumstances. They say that a trio reaches natural balance. And thus they — only a pitcher, catcher and batter — played a non-pretentious game called baseball until Kirisu entered fifth grade.
    When in team play a single player stands out, the team's overall strength goes up rapidly.
    The movements of an outstanding sportsman are closely examined. Some may casually compete with him; some trust him unconditionally and hope that while he's with the team, there won't be any problems.
    The growth of a team which has a clear hope is outstanding. It's probably because the members, not hesitating or worrying, merge in a single entity physically and mentally.
    This is called 'reaching after the talent'.
    Each of the three boys in the park of the district full of comfortable corners was an outstanding sportsman in his own way. Being born with a fit body. A willpower raised by the environment. A purely childish belief in others' genius.
    They had the necessary minimum to overcome the technical part, and in the closed world without adults they toiled with all they had. Gathering bits of their non-knowledge, they studied techniques as they could and tested them on each other.

"The hip-joi-nt is important for a baseball player. With a strong base you throw well and swing well… But how do you train it?"

During the period not blessed with many trainers Kirisu Yaichiro reached great sport achievements, and the tips he carefully gathered weren't even facts but something like "gut sense". Luckily, small children learn from such personal experience better than from logic and complicated medical theories.

"You need to train not the visible body, but the inner… umm, axle. Grandad said that both pitcher and batter are like a wound spring, and when the rotation support isn't holding up, the rotation itself is wrong. And, umm, you have to develop these, umm, den muscles…"

They only learned from grandfather how to develop the abdomen, the body's axle.

At that time, it's said, if you don't learn the forms of serving and batting under a trainer, you'll never fix them afterwards. But their training was directed not by trainers, but by the freedom of movement naturally present in the body.
    With one step forward and a spring-like spin you throw a ball reaching a hundred kilometres per hour.
    Within less than a second you swing the appendage — the arm and the bat accelerating to a hundred kilometres per hour.
    All these are movements natural to living creatures who performed them since the era of hunters 'to survive'. Nothing special. If you're human, your movements can be repeated by a million of others.
    Roughly speaking, batting and pitching attempt to direct the movements to the natural bending of the arm according to the rotation of the shoulder and hips. So you make your body memorize the forms, natural, as seen from the side, after which you discard the excess meat you didn't even know about and create individual movements suiting you best — that's how you train technique… They didn't need that at the time.
    The base form is researched individually. Even without studying the 'common methods of pitching and batting' born from the lessons of the past the psyche and eyes striving towards the most fitting form are enough to raise the skills of pitching and batting without any trainers.
    They studied such individual techniques, and that was all. After all, this baseball was only for them three. There was no need to memorize 'strategies' aimed at the whole team's victory.

"I'll try throwing a side. The speed may vary depending on the size, but the spin only depends on training."

Iguruma Kazumi felt the limits of an upper throw and had to switch to a side one.
    If in baseball where only individual techniques are sharpened someone is different in power, there'll be no game.
    The pitcher not suitable for the batter any more was training towards that. So as not to leave the friends who rescued him behind. Not only did he master the side throw, he even took up the trump card, the lower throw.
    Until the very end Kirisu Yaichiro hadn't realized that this was not only obsession with the ball's magic, but also the fear of losing friends.
    …Alas.
    The anxiety and teeth-gritting of his friends was clouded by the joy in being able to hit previously impossible screwballs.

Kirisu Yaichiro had many buddies, acquaintances, but only two of those he could call friends.
    In his case it could only be called 'coincidence'. He had fun in the atmosphere of his classmates, but the baseball in the park was so incredibly interesting that he only came to his senses when he could only call two people his friends.
    On the other hand, Iguruma Kazumi was lonely because his surroundings played a cruel one on him.
    This gave him a reason to hide a grudge. But the bastards weren't someone precise, it was the entire society, and neither Kazumi nor Kirisu could overcome this problem… no one probably could.
    Iguruma Kazumi didn't have a father. His parents divorced before Kazumi was even born. His mother was an average woman without an academic profile who couldn't find a job — and wasn't used to working anyway. The conditions were strained since his birth, and Kazumi couldn't even imagine something was amiss.
    And still he didn't want to have his revenge on the society, since his mother was desperately raising her son in her own way. She couldn't work like normal people did, but she gave her all to any job, even the ugliest one. Struggling to defend her son against problems, she tired times quicker, knew no happiness, and seeing her hurried ageing, Kazumi had no right to envy the world.
    But there were only enemies around.
    The society won't give a hand to the weak. Not only won't — it has no qualms with attacking those breaking its rules. The mother and son were considered not only weak, undeserving of compassion, but "pitiful wretches" fit for attacking.
    Kazumi was despised by the elder neighbours, and the kids laughed, imitating their parents. Even if he could make friends with kids who didn't care, sooner or later their parents forbade them to see Kazumi. Even the obligatory education, singing praise to equality, after the constant non-payment for the cafeteria and education gave up on treating the boy as a student. After all, the teaching staff had no need to defend the kid of a parent not living by the rules, and no adult was on his side.
    Kazumi's homeroom teacher, a clean freak, didn't tolerate a single stain in her class, and decided that if the dirt couldn't be removed it had to be used effectively at least.
    Such a comfortable target. The homeroom teacher officially made a weak person the scapegoat, a target to vent irritation on.
    There wasn't a roll call without attacking Kazumi in the form of small punishments for yesterday's behaviour upon returning home.
    "Sensei, Kazumi-kun was playing outside the school again!"
    Both other students and the teacher knew he was helping with his mother's work, but…
    "Iguruma, come forward. What do you have to say? Aren't you ashamed?"
    At the moment when he almost blurted out the real reason he was slapped.
    Barely heard, muffled laughter. For kids it's a show to dispel the lesson's boredom. The teacher looked at her hand, obviously wanting to wash it that very instant, and sent him to his seat through clenched teeth.
    "Sensei, Kazumi isn't ashamed, you're too kind to him!"
    "One who doesn't listen won't hear. Leaving him alone, ***-san, that's enough."
    An echo through the class — a heartfelt happy giggle. People condemning oppression strive to oppress. Kazumi's homeroom teacher, as a woman with a strong sense of righteousness, wasn't being malicious. To her and other adults the weak already look like criminals. The elementary school was a great purgatory for Iguruma Kazumi.

The meaning of those who Iguruma Kazumi acquired as friends even they didn't realize.
    …Kirisu Yaichiro managed to notice it when their playing the game of baseball was coming to an end. In the events of the empty and near-empty days he realized his foolishness and his friends' problems.
    In the end of the week, after the game, Kirisu invited Kazumi to his home and shared many a dinner with him. Dining with a friend made Kirisu happy, and Kazumi was glad that Kirisu's mother diligently arranged small feasts for them as well.
    In the school Kazumi couldn't even eat normally, and he was awkward accepting Kirisu's dinners, but at the same time he was happy.
    However, there was a small misunderstanding here.
    For Iguruma Kazumi this was something like yet another event — 'feed the strangers' kid well'… With care developed through survival he realized that he had to 'try to look good'. Kazumi thought of the dinner prepared for him, the guest, at the end of each week as a special treat. He was glad, but at the same time he felt guilty for that hospitality.
    That's why he held back at this lavish table.
    Precisely due to the specialness of the event Kazumi restrained himself before that special thing.
    And at that day — not the weekend, but a random workday — Kirisu invited Kazumi over. Mother was surprised at the unexpected guest and smiled at him. 'Sorry, but we only have usual food, nothing special'. After a few moments… looking at the empty table, Iguruma Kazumi understood at last.
    This dinner similar to a party. Usual family food that, he thought, would be simpler without guests.
    And with that he realized that normal kids ate exactly that.

"Aah… I see. So this is normal."

Without surprise, without sadness. He simply quietly accepted this reality. Just for the first time in years the poverty of his home, which he tried hard not to think about, covered his eyes with dew.
    Kirisu saw that.
    A face like a Noh mask. The face of a kid who saw warm happiness and knew despair was etched into Kirisu's memory forever. His home wasn't rich either, but never again could he say his family was poor.
    This would stain the one main character he respected.
    Kirisu Yaichiro, whatever he looked like to others, considered himself a normal human.
    He believed he won't become the main hero of a 'story'. Born in a normal family, living a normal life, and going to live on that way until the end. He won't ever become a hero.
    He doesn't have his own strength. The body he was born in isn't his own strength. He didn't find in himself, a human, the inhuman power sufficient to fight plights.
    Kirisu Yaichiro understood that vaguely and saw in Iguruma Kazumi an unreal power, saw a main character in him and revered him.
    Painfully so.

"Hey! How are you, Sinker?"

Since the time Iguruma Kazumi switched to side throws Kirisu began calling him Sinker. With all the respect and friendliness towards a hero and friend walking the path he would never choose himself.
    Baseball with them three was becoming, as it's called in chess, a stalemate.
    They met thousands of times in duels. The awkwardness of steps heading for the mound, the discomfort in the right shoulder while standing in the square. Only by these trifles could one notice their mood that day. The battle score goes toe to toe. No, by the nature's endowment Kirisu Yaichiro has an advantage, but the pitcher and catcher united their efforts to counter him, and the scales were balanced once again.
    But Kazumi's deciding ball is something else entirely.
    A lower throw, and the demonic ball rushes almost to the lower boundary of the dead zone.
    The ball sent by a right arm almost scraping the ground slides up, where, obeying the spin it was given, it 'sinks' right before the batter's position in the lower part of the dead zone.
    Then, from the batter's box, it's as though the ball makes a ninety degrees turn and falls; this is Kazumi's winning ball, the 'sinker'. When the ball reaches the upper point of the trajectory, even Kirisu was sluggish with his grounder.
    Their score isn't set. Kirisu won points-wise, but the trick of this ball still was a mystery.

"listen, can we join? What baseball can there be with 3 people, right?"

When you play baseball for over 3 years there's bound to be rumours.
    Somehow the baseball lovers heard of this game of three, and it slowly started growing.
    Both Kirisu and Kazumi were gaining friends. While under the guise of baseball, it was still joy to Kazumi. No one was bullying him. The boy who up until now was attacked just for existing gained the right to be in a big group for the first time in his life.

"What Junior are you in, guys?"

Afterwards a manager from the Junior league joined. The courteous man, upon learning the three belonged nowhere, hotly advised them to join.
    …Like many other sports, baseball was a betting game. This is why it isn't widespread in poor countries.
    The entrance fee, monthly pay for education, uniform and design. Completely outside a child's capabilities, and you can't ask your parents… Kirisu could, but for the others it was an unreachable dream.
    "Okay. If you're with us, we have more than enough money. Maybe you need something else?"
    The radiant dream suddenly approached and motioned them to follow.
    The entire year after was a golden time for Kirisu.
    More than the activities in Junior league, more than the progress gained from the new knowledge he enjoyed the fact that now all three could play baseball with everyone.

"Kirisu, you're going to junior high next year, right? Then we'll probably end up in different teams."

Real baseball with new comrades. The chick of battles before the spectators' eyes and the same feeling of nervousness as the pitcher's coming to the front.
    Everyone gulped with difficulty when the batter in the last, ninth inning turned the score on its head.
    On the pitcher's mound and the batter's box all kinds of stares meet. This is a feeling of unity. Friends and foes, though split into the camps of 'us' and 'them', synchronized on the movements of a single ball; he loved that moment with all of his heart.
    Kazumi did too. And thus said:

"Listen, just don't laugh your ass off, okay? I will be such a pitcher that no one but you will ever hit me. And you too become such a batter as not to miss anyone's ball but mine. And let's some beautiful day…"

"Let's some beautiful day settle our score on the big scene", — he said.
    Scratching his cheek, as though talking about an impossible dream.
    The same naive childish dream was always nurtured by Kirisu as well. Since the time the two of them started pretending to play baseball he wanted to show a lot of people how Iguruma Kazumi throws his ball. The Junior league is a decent support. Every time Kazumi was acknowledged as a good pitcher he felt glad for him as much as he would be for himself.
    …Therefore fame and ovations are secondary. Kirisu Yaichiro didn't want to be acclaimed as a genius, even accidentally.

"Thank you, Kirisu. It's all thanks to you."

Half a year passed in the Junior league.
    Kazumi wholeheartedly thanked Kirisu.
    His face exhausted, his shoulders and elbows barely lifting after constant training, his face completely disinterested compared to the park, but he gratefully lowered his head.

"You know, lately mom is smiling. She's happy everyone's praising me…"

It seems she was blaming herself as well that his life was so hard for so long.
    Igurumi Kazumi's mother quietly rejoiced in her son's activities.
    Kirisu Yaichiro's friend, the most fitting opponent for him, left him behind and decided to consider baseball his only beacon.
    'That's why he's a hero', — Kirisu sourly smiled and blessed his friend's journey.

But a corner of his mind went in deep thought.
    What would be, if then… on that day when Kazumi opened his heart at the dinner, he cared a little bit more about himself? What would be if he managed not to run his dear friend into a corner?

The ways of the inseparable trio slowly separated.
    Or perhaps it's that Kirisu approached baseball matches inordinarily.
    The sportsman with a talent greater than everyone else's feels the victory's charm the least. This lifestyle was bright for those who had no natural talent. It made them feel the gap one can't cross just by work.
    Therefore it's like this.

"Having fun, kids?"

They fell to the temptation of the suspicious adult with a soft smile.
    The man who has suddenly woven himself out of the sunset twilight.

They got into the Junior league, gained a big team, but even after that their daily activity went on. They couldn't devote as much time to it, but they still had matches, checking their form, pointing out their weaknesses, clapping each other's hands, laughing. Kirisu went into the sixth grade, and next year he'll go to junior high, and there won't be time for him to come here.
    An Edem with the prospect of being expelled.
    No — it already was a remnant of paradise losing the last of its shimmer.
    In their paradise there was a smiling stranger.
    "This gentleman here is playing the devil… What do you think? You seem like good boys, so the gentleman shall grant you one wish each. But in exchange for something important to you."
    His speech showed one thing: a screw was loose in his head.

Kirisu got ready to chase the 'gentleman' out, but his younger friends, it seems, didn't feel any danger in these words.
    "Do you like baseball?"
    "Of course I do. There are no people my age who don't love it. No matter what you say, our generation didn't have enough fun in its time."
    The timbre was manly but soft. Unlike with Kirisu, adults never talked to Kazumi, and the sole fact that the 'gentleman' spoke to him as an equal already gave him joy. Perhaps that he grew without a father played a role here too.
    In the end they accepted the 'gentleman's' offer.
    The devil smiled and asked them for their wishes.

"I want to hit home runs on every innings!"
    "Then I want to be an unhittable pitcher!"

Kirisu answered noting.
    He wasn't so childish as to play along with this nonsense; at the time he didn't have wishes great enough to give up the important things he already had.
    But the others answered at once.
    Their jealousy towards the talented friends, their nervousness since loss became unacceptable to them, innocently broke out of their lips.

"These are good wishes. Well, as promised…"

Softly smiling, the 'gentleman' took their hands.
    Big, dry hands through the touch of which his pulse could be felt.
    The 'gentleman' slowly let them go. No changes, and the kids disgruntedly reproached him, while Kirisu sighed at ease — it's just as he thought…
    "No, there are changes. Now, if his ball is hit even once, he'll die. And if he doesn't hit a home run once, he won't survive either."

The devil laughed, his mouth maliciously curved like a crescent moon.
    The twilight is deepening.
    The red air is sticky, like blood. This definitely not funny, ridiculous curse took root in their hearts.
    "Well, the gentleman is a devil, after all. The gentleman can't grant wishes any other way. But look, kids: a man's dream and life must be the same. If you compromise, think of them independently of each other, the happiness becomes empty."
    The devil smiled: "Stay alive!.." Life. There's the simplest and most important joy.

"You hit, you die. You don't hit, you die. How lucky — that which you guys love the most became your very life.
    In other words, the loser doesn't have the right to live."

The stranger disappeared along with the sun.
    Like he was never there in the first place — disappeared, leaving Kirisu and his friends' sight. What a crazy bum. They laughed — fooled by a silly adult! — and went their ways.
    Everyone wanted to forget that smiling face as soon as possible.

The curse happened to the two friends the next day.

Next day. The classes were over, and in baseball 'on the grass' their third comrade didn't manage to hit a home run. Of course, there was nothing abnormal about that. The friends, having forgotten yesterday's encounter, returned to the familiar park, practised as a trio and said their goodbyes.

"Guys, listen. A misfortune has occurred."

The other day. The manager's voice was drowned in the noise of the train running along the river.
    The catcher is nowhere to be seen. The one who loved baseball as much as they did, the friend who didn't rest a single day, wasn't there… Last night he died at home. Not just him — the entire family suffered his fate. Seems like a breaking and entering killer, but the perpetrator is unknown. The neighbours heard a quarrel, and a rumour went around — domestic violence, perhaps?
    "That's because he broke the contract…"
    It's not that Kazumi bought it, he didn't even believe after his friend's disappearance.
    It's just that a small anxiety rose in him.
    If he's hit he dies. Just a groundless suggestion, but actually this was Iguruma Kazumi's own decision as well.
    If his self-awareness, the essence of his being is that he's an excellent pitcher, then at the moment he becomes a mediocre pitcher he'll return to dust he came out of… He understood that very thought was leading to destruction. Kazumi did have doubts about his path as a pitcher, but he had no way back.
    He couldn't betray the expectations of his mother and those around him. He was accepted as a society member with the condition of being a pitcher. If he stops being a pitcher, he'll become like he was before, weak, the only thing left to him being enduring.

"If I'm hit, I die… My life is in that ball. So, a hit ball means…"
    There are no unbeatable throws.
    There wasn't an adult who taught Kazumi this basic of basics; after all, in his mind, originally that of a loner, a pitcher could play baseball alone. As a result he became even more lonely, a reclusive sportsman, and…

"So, you want to kill me?"

His false curse turned into reality.
    A thirst for killing born of self-defence. Iguruma Kazumi, standing on the hill, really is ready to kill. A throw for him means none other than a duel to the death, each and every one of them.
    Kazumi, determined and talented. stimulated by fear and vengefulness, is refining his right arm.

He made outstanding screwballs his base technique, and his pitching was closer to a relief than to a starter. Now Iguruma Kazumi became a pitcher who went out to the mound at the seventh inning and didn't allow a single hit after that, one who could boast a truly diabolic, record score.
    The compensation for that was that he was a loner even in a team. No one opens up to the man ready to kill even during team training.

"Well, whatever. My baseball was like this anyway. Let the talentless scum bunch together. I need no one."

Even his best friend's warnings didn't reach the target.
    The mountain of corpses was rising.
    Iguruma Kazumi became a king in the desert.
    Kirisu didn't know how to stop that perversion. What could he say, he who hadn't noticed his friend's nervousness for many years? He who hadn't noticed the disgusting image of the friend that was forming behind his back in the team…
    Reflecting on it calmly, the teammates probably weren't happy to have them. Newbies warmly accepted by the manager. In less than half a year he was chosen as the starter — a junior who cheekily passed the senior pitchers while giggling.
    Kazumi initially stood out in the team.
    It's just that Kirisu hadn't noticed.
    "Hey, Kirisu, you remember that time I blurted some idiocy?.. If you do, let's forget it…"

The first one, any person would hold their breath before such as him. This isn't as interesting and fun as before.
    Kazumi must hate the batter enough to want to shoot him, and Kirisu, thinking of him, can't light-heartedly take up the bat like before. This wasn't their personal duel repeated a thousand of times.

It became apparent how naturally they didn't get along.

One who was lost from the very beginning and one who was satisfied all his life can't understand each other.
    As months, years went past, their roads divided further still.
    They will never reach an understanding.
    Baseball beloved by Kirisu isn't the same as baseball needed by Iguruma Kazumi.
    That's the whole story.
    Young Kirisu was upset, thinking that such a man should have been born with a ton of genius, and once muttered aloud about the unfairness of the world.

Thus Kirisu Yaichiro's childhood ended.
    Since junior high he went wherever his heart directed, freely enjoying baseball.
    Iguruma Kazumi earned the nickname 'Sinker master' and earned big success as the first screwballer in the prefecture.

Six years later the two of them had another chance to meet. On the third year of high school Kirisu Yaichiro accepted the last, decisive battle of the summer…

Kirisu Yaichiro earned a name as the prefecture's first slugger, beginning since the first year of high school.
    In the general high school №1 of Shikura city which he entered there was a baseball club with an above average potential. There was an informal, but genius batter, and the manager thirsted for his team's victory as well. Accident after accident, and baseball, stuck at the level of entertainment, became whole to him again.
    In the first year they only accomplished building the team foundation. The battles began next year. Kirisu Yaichiro became a second-grader, the team began cooperating, a fourth batter rose, and finally qualification rounds were visible ahead.
    The team was developing under the banner of the genius batter, Kirisu Yaichiro.
    But — that same second year he developed an odd habit.
    For unknown reasons he became sick every time he hit a home run. Seriously sick: he vomited up to three times in a single match, and often lost consciousness.
    Teammates and and manager asked whether he had any guesses at least, but he didn't answer, and even the school's director was worried about his problem. The teachers pleaded the best student, whom they strangely trusted, for attention, but he…
    "Treat him against his will? I don't know… If he himself wants to vomit, let him do so."
    …answered quite coldly.
    And now Kirisu Yaichiro is suffering, but his abilities as a batter don't fade in the least, and the legendary slugger's fame rings round the prefecture.
    However, baseball isn't so simple that you could just win through a single slugger, and Shikura №1 loses the first game in the spring qualifications and the summer regionals' 'top four'.
    Next, 2003.
    The last summer for Kirisu Yaichiro.
    This year they, indignant, had they way blocked by the rival school, Koalagaoka. Both schools won a game in succession, and the last one, delayed by a few days, was hailed as the battle against fate in the public. Yes. Shikura №1 had their super batter — well, Koalagaoka has its own genius. Not only the ace third year pitcher is supporting Koalagaoka. A relief pitcher for him, second year Iguruma Kazumi, entered Shikura city's sports arena once more.
    The day before their match. In the home of Kirisu, who intentionally avoided meeting, a phone call rang from his former friend.

"…Please, hit whatever happens."

He came straight to the point.
    A terribly tired voice, nothing left of what it used to be.

"Baseball is torture to me. But it used to be fun, too. I don't remember that now, though."

That's why he wants release?
    With this he hung up, and the egoistic wish was transmitted.
    In the match Kirisu Yaichiro got two home runs from the starter, quickly dragging the ace off his pedestal, for which he paid with his consciousness. He opened his eyes only after Shikura №1's loss.

The chance to dispel the curse was lost forever.
    After that Kirisu Yaichiro declined many flattering job offers and left baseball. Snapping that he wasn't such a hero as to go pro. No one could know what a war was going on in the depths of his soul.

Meanwhile another year passed.
    The ace third-year graduated, and Koalagaoka with its new ace, Iguruma Kazumi, loses the summer regional qualifications. In the decisive day the ace Iguruma Kazumi excused himself with a trauma and left the mound. The young second-year captain, Sekura Yumiya, performed as a replacement but, alas, lost.
    Four months later. Iguruma Kazumi is expelled from the Koalagaoka high school by his own request. No one looked for the runaway genius, nor worried about his leave, and not a person knows what sort of a life he led afterwards.

Also, here's a pic. We finally get to see Kirisu's mug.

Last edited by Desuclocker; October 20th, 2014 at 12:32 AM.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    he looks like Hououin Kyouma
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    577,587,785/RRahkshi
    Thanks again Desu! I'm a little confused though, according to Enhance's index there are still two parts of S.vs.S-1 (Those being 4/Sinker.(Top) and 5/S.VS.S-2). Did you skip those parts or am I being blind?
    Spoiler:
    (All credit on Aron Headbutt on Youtube)

Quote Originally Posted by Rygah View Post
    Thanks again Desu! I'm a little confused though, according to Enhance's index there are still two parts of S.vs.S-1 (Those being 4/Sinker.(Top) and 5/S.VS.S-2). Did you skip those parts or am I being blind?
    When I saw your post, I was 99% sure I derped somewhere around the index. But I did a double take and it looks like I didn't.

Oh. Yeah, my bad. Went a bit overboard deleting the junk in Downloads after receiving the proper version of the files from Enhance and didn't notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rygah View Post
    The truth is DDD, FG, Mahoyo and even the Chibichuki manga have already been translated, but only the chosen ones can read it. Sorry.

Blog Entries
    I paid a guy to translate them all from Chinese to Cherokee but now I'm not really sure what to do with it.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Go back in time and sell it to the Germans as a Rosetta Stone to break the Navajo code talkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I paid a guy to translate them all from Chinese to Cherokee but now I'm not really sure what to do with it.
    That sure sounds like a great investment.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Desu, for the update.

I'm very thankful for the translations, and I've caught up to the very last chapter, but did everyone get busy or something? It's been nearly half a year since anyone has even replied....

Quote Originally Posted by Link Ichicloud View Post
    I'm very thankful for the translations, and I've caught up to the very last chapter, but did everyone get busy or something? It's been nearly half a year since anyone has even replied....
    Welp, Enhance was busy when I took over and still is, and I found my new occupation pretty tiring as well. This may be continued sometime, though I wouldn't put it before July or so.
    Last edited by Desuclocker; March 11th, 2015 at 04:33 AM.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @All
    "the war" means WWII.
    @Desuclocker
    Great job.

Then I'm going to back to Kan-colle.
    Miss Jarman said viciously: 'You must reallywant your money.'
    'No.' Harvey shook his head wearily. 'It's not that, honey. He wants to be Caneton. And nobody ever beat Caneton. Yet.'
    I said quickly: 'Bring the car through in fifteen minutes. Unless you hear shooting. Then you can decide for yourself.'
    I walked away down the bank to the right, looking for the entrance to the communication trench. I found it and turned in.
    -----
     ミス・ジャーマンが悪意に満ちた声で言った。「お金のためならどんなことでもするのね」
    「ちがう」 ハーヴェイが疲れたように首をふった。「そうじゃあないんだよ。カントンでありたいのさ。敗れ ることを知らないカントンなんだ。今まではね」
     私は口をはさんだ。「十五分たったら車をもってきてくれ。銃声を聞かなければだ。銃声が聞こえたら、自分 で判断しろ」
     私は土手に沿って右へ歩きながら塹壕への入口を探した。見つけて中に入った。

When the clock strikes midnight... Means it's a new day Jeanne. Strange_One's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    485,902,641/Vincent
    Blog Entries
    I confess. I don't understand the mass shipgirl obsession.
    BEHOLD! THE SIG OF GOLDEN TRUTH! Pillaged from McJon, Tsukikan et al.