Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinoko Nasu's "Unique" style?

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtue View Post
    By what I heard he used some sort of technique that kinda only applies to Japanese, that makes one sentence several sentences and stuff like that...
    Huh?

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    It's a distinctive style but I like it. At least for FSN.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Huh?
    He's probably talking about that thing with non-standard furigana readings that every Japanese author does.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We won't get to "see" Sakura's past because Shirou isn't psychic, thus we have to be "told" it. Since knowing Sakura's ordeals are necessary to Shirou's story, that means there's no choice but to portray all the details through his eyes.
    That isn't quite true. Since they were told through a menagerie of interludes, and we got to see a lot of things from her perspective, and her thoughts, specifically all of the "Matou Sakura" specific interludes show how she felt meeting Shirou, how she wasn't really into him in the beginning, but saw something in him which got her to come out of her shell, thus the attraction is explained(how she got the key to his house, the high jump, etc., "showing" the worms swimming through her and how she felt about that). And if you were not so sure from the multitude of things shown in the narrative, there were the pieces of stuff shown in HF Normal detailing even further how they met and the feelings there. After all, how better to twist the knife?

I will agree though about his wordiness, specifically with things like reiterating the fire, Saber being hurt, and how he could cut off Archer's arm at any time the larger offenders.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, we do see things from Sakura's viewpoint, yes, but we never see the abuse itself, or the direct effects of it. We see why she cares about him, and we see what is driving her mad in HF, but we don't ever get shown all the abuse that leads up to it or shown why she's so broken in the first place. We just get told it.

That's probably why Zero Sakura is more popular than HF Sakura (aside from the whole "helpless loli" thing). In Zero, we see her suffering and we see what causes her to break first-hand, whereas in HF we just get told that she's ended up that way due to years of abuse.

To be very honest with you, I'm glad there were no insider scenes detailing Sakura's mindbreak.

Fanfiction
    Tabula Rasa

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Junky View Post
    To be very honest with you, I'm glad there were no insider scenes detailing Sakura's mindbreak.
    Well, I think it'd have definitely made it harder for people to hate her if they knew what she was going through in more explicit detail. It might also have made them stop reading in disgust, though....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Well, we do see things from Sakura's viewpoint, yes, but we never see the abuse itself, or the direct effects of it. We see why she cares about him, and we see what is driving her mad in HF, but we don't ever get shown all the abuse that leads up to it or shown why she's so broken in the first place. We just get told it.

That's probably why Zero Sakura is more popular than HF Sakura (aside from the whole "helpless loli" thing). In Zero, we see her suffering and we see what causes her to break first-hand, whereas in HF we just get told that she's ended up that way due to years of abuse.
    Well throughout the game, we are shown she is being physically abused, but I guess I really don't count just using CGs a being "shown". We see through the flashbacks the same empty eyes we see in Zero, and Shirou highlights the bruises on her arms and the things he notices. Plus we are shown in every route that there is definitely domestic violence going on. Plus, like I said, there was the scene that went into graphic detail about the worms swimming through her, so for me at least, it was unnecessary to highlight it with CGs, I could picture it just fine. But I guess some people need that more overt reminder.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Blog Entries
    Oh, Mike. Sweet, poor, naive Mike. Wants his waifu to be loved, doesn't realize that he's the reason more and more people have grown to dislike her. It's so pure and tragic I could cry.

It would have happened if Gen helped write the HF scenario.

The horror.

Fanfiction
    Tabula Rasa

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, Mike. Sweet, poor, naive Mike. Wants his waifu to be loved, doesn't realize that he's the reason more and more people have grown to dislike her. It's so pure and tragic I could cry.
    You never fail to amuse me with your cynical but not exactly false - I daresay true - responses.

Blog Entries
    Gen: "Sakura actually died when she was converted into a Grail! Angra Mainyu isn't distorting her personality, Angra Mainyu is all there is and it is being distorted by the remnants of Sakura left in the body! OHHNNNGRIMGRIMGRIMDAAAAARK!"

I can totally see that happening.

Gen should be assassinated.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, his stuff is like a train wreck and I can't stop reading.

Fanfiction
    Tabula Rasa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Gen: "Sakura actually died when she was converted into a Grail! Angra Mainyu isn't distorting her personality, Angra Mainyu is all there is and it is being distorted by the remnants of Sakura left in the body! OHHNNNGRIMGRIMGRIMDAAAAARK!"
    Stop that, it might actually happen, lol.

Besides, he'd probably go through identity crisis if he tried to rewrite Fate, given his aim was to be part of an overall happy end, so befouling that would cause some type of paradox within him.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    Stop that, it might actually happen, lol.
    Yeah, that's actually the sort of ending I'd expect from Gen if he had written HF. Fortunately, he didn't, so we're safe....

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    The stuff you guys say about not seeing every part of the character story is true in every piece of fiction though. There's always going to be stuff that's part of the background. Otherwise you would have to have an endless chain of stories detailing every single character.

I mean if you want to tell a story you need it to have a focus, not just wandering around like a dog chasing shiny objects.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Well, I think it'd have definitely made it harder for people to hate her if they knew what she was going through in more explicit detail. It might also have made them stop reading in disgust, though....
    Sometimes too much becomes silly. That's why Kohaku worked better than Sakura.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

help me?

Fanfiction
    Tabula Rasa

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Sometimes too much becomes silly. That's why Kohaku worked better than Sakura.
    It's all relative though, since people are different and feel for characters in different ways. Since Kohaku and Sakura are very different in how they suffered. Sakura is a magical experiment brought into a family on the terms of being a trained magus, thus, the amount of suffering is about what I'd expect, Kohaku was accepted by the Tohno family as part of a punishment for a transgression and because of the nature of her powers. They are similar, but really very different. They are kind of from two different worlds, so I would say they should be looked at from two different viewpoints.

Like, I love Saber and Rin, but I feel Saber's dilemma with redoing the selection of the king falls flat in some places, or Rin's struggle with maintaining the dignity of a magus family and how she struggles with being a magus doesn't connect with me. I felt Sakura more showed how harsh being a magus was than was focused with Rin. And I'm sure you'd disagree with me.

To sum it up, that is purely subjective on how better or worse a character played their role.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's objectively a pretty bad delivery though, since he evidently can do better :V
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute