Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinoko Nasu's "Unique" style?

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I think as far as magus struggles go you're supposed to treat Rin and Sakura like a complementary pair than separate. Although Sakura's treatment isn't really part of magus training so much as Zouken's plans.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    The thing that I found unique about Nasu is that esoteric, philosophical storytelling style of his. It's a unique way of looking at things that he inserts into the narrative, and into the plot. Personally, it's one of the things I like the most about Nasu's work.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Sometimes too much becomes silly. That's why Kohaku worked better than Sakura.
    Well, the thing is, for Sakura that much was realistic. Zouken's aim was specifically to break her via torture, so it figures that he'd take it as far as possible. Conversely, Makihisa never specifically intended to "break" Kohaku, I believe, he just needed her to prevent himself turning into a demon.

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    I think as far as magus struggles go you're supposed to treat Rin and Sakura like a complementary pair than separate. Although Sakura's treatment isn't really part of magus training so much as Zouken's plans.
    Well, in some ways, yes. They're two relatively similar people who have been put through almost diametrically opposite (but in both cases not great) upbringings. However, to compare Rin's suffering with Sakura's is ludicrous. Rin was far better off.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, since most of my likes are already present in this thread (well-crafted characters, nice worldbuilding), I should probably add an opinion I am most likely alone with:

I like the infodumps.

...okay, okay, I should clarify. I know that this rapes the rules of what is generally accepted as "good writing" but still, the action scenes beome much more engaging with exposition establishing the parameters of what the fuck is happening first, and the sheer amount of what needs to be defined can't reasonably be woven into the narrative without looking silly.

It's kind of like explaining you the rules of chess and then showing you amazing plays within those established rules. A simple fight scene becomes more engaging when the framework is solid.

And this also makes it an ideal breeding ground for our steadily growing RP/FF sections.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    The RP section is steadily growing in the way that a cemetery grows: on a pile of bones.

Blog Entries
    Hey, Lantz new RP drafted like what, 3-4 new players in?

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's objectively a pretty bad delivery though, since he evidently can do better :V
    He surely could do better, but I feel that way for more than just with Sakura(like he made a perfect setup with Caster and Sakura in Hollow to be a dynamic grouping that would add layers to both, or even better, show some of the secret training you hint that she undergoes, I'll never understand why he passes that up). But that isn't the point. I added how I felt about Rin and Saber to show that ultimately, literary critique is never objective in anything but prose and grammar imho. Just like how you feel about a guilty pleasure, in your mind you might feel a story/character is poorly done, but you can't stop watching it, so why do you think it is shit?

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Blog Entries
    Objective literary analysis is possible via comparison. It's not like there is a scale or index or something with which you can globally measure the quality of works against eachother, but this works quite well.

And this is all I'm going to say on that matter because jesus christ this thread barely has 50 posts and we already have a Sakura derail.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And this is all I'm going to say on that matter because jesus christ this thread barely has 50 posts and we already have a Sakura derail.
    Oh, how awful, people are discussing Sakura in a way which is entirely on topic.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Objective literary analysis is possible via comparison. It's not like there is a scale or index or something with which you can globally measure the quality of works against eachother, but this works quite well.

That is fine if you want to say that, but realize that the two things you are comparing are in fact very different in scope, background, motive, and characterization.

And really come on, I included my critique on other characters as well, it's hardly just about Sakura. *pout*
    Oh, how awful, people are discussing Sakura in a way which is entirely on topic.
    Now, now, don't get salty.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Blog Entries
    Mikey, you're doing that thing where you put the emphasis on the last word of your sentences like a fussy grandmother. That's a key warning tic for Sakura derails, so you can't blame him for being wary.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    That thread has simultaneously respawned my disgust for 4chan, and ripped away some of what little hope I have left for humanity.

Was still hilarious, though.
    The first time I was overwhelmed by anime cuteness
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Sword View Post

Oh my God they look like adorable kittens I want to take them home with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    And really come on, I included my critique on other characters as well, it's hardly just about Sakura. *pout*
    Oh I'm sure you're not the reason he wanted to say that.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mikey, you're doing that thing where you put the emphasis on the last word of your sentences like a fussy grandmother. That's a key warning tic for Sakura derails, so you can't blame him for being wary.
    I don't fucking care. I'm bloody sick of people going "OMG, a Sakura derail, kill it with fire!" every time she's so much as mentioned.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    That is fine if you want to say that, but realize that the two things you are comparing are in fact very different in scope, background, motive, and characterization.
    This doesn't stop the delivery from being incredibly poorly done though. Kohaku is just the closest example we saw of how he can do better, since Miss Nasu won't write multiple stories about people getting raped by sharp-toothed dickworms.

Blog Entries
    I like Nasu style of writing, yes it's not good writing, and has a lot of purple prose, but it works, especially in Fate, I mean to describe legendary heroes, I find purple prose appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridgeburner90 View Post
    Shirou looks at a butter knife and his brain thinks "yupp, that's a weapon, off to my RM you go."

Blog Entries
    I mean, strictly speaking Buster and Altima were drifting, but it's in the same category, so seems good.

- - - Updated - - -

This doesn't stop the delivery from being incredibly poorly done though. Kohaku is just the closest example we saw of how he can do better, since Miss Nasu won't write multiple stories about people getting raped by sharp-toothed dickworms.
    Fujino.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    I like Nasu style of writing, yes it's not good writing, and has a lot of purple prose, but it works, especially in Fate, I mean to describe legendary heroes, I find purple prose appropriate.
    Oh come on, really?

I define "Good writing" as the "Writing I like". I like his writing style - so it's good, as it has fulfilled its role.
    Last edited by Enhance; September 12th, 2012 at 10:42 AM.

Blog Entries
    Well, Japanese writers apparently like their stuff more purple than we are used to.

Though even Nasu got chewed out by that critic for using absolutely nonsensical metaphors in his work lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I mean, strictly speaking Buster and Altima were drifting

Not technically a derail.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    I don't fucking care. I'm bloody sick of people going "OMG, a Sakura derail, kill it with fire!" every time she's so much as mentioned.
    You have only yourself to blame for that.

Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Fujino.
    That's standard gang rape, not worm rape or half-demon rape.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    That thread has simultaneously respawned my disgust for 4chan, and ripped away some of what little hope I have left for humanity.

Was still hilarious, though.
    The first time I was overwhelmed by anime cuteness

Oh my God they look like adorable kittens I want to take them home with me!