Page 1 of 13 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: "Like" function

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

"Like" function

I saw this in other forums and I think it's pretty neat, because it saves me the time to quote every single Mcjon post I see. Basically it does what the "like" button in Facebook does. Is it compatible with our kind of forum?
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What would the effect of it be?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Increase e-peen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    What would the effect of it be?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadersweet View Post
    Increase e-peen.
    That and encourage quality posts through the increase of e-peen, or showing appreciation for a fic/contribution without needing to comment on it (which also doesn't bump the thread because apparently necroing is THE MOST HORRIBLE THING EVER).

I just think it's a very neat feature to have. Not necessary (like blogs) but improving the overall forum experience.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think it's only necessary in a larger forum than this. Beast's Lair is intimate enough so that everyone knows who makes good posts anyway.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure there's a mod for it, but I likewise question its actual "necessity." To me, it's about as necessary as, say, the forum RPG mod was - i.e; something for fun - and that was soundly shot down when I brought it up for similar reasons of e-peen.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Blog Entries
    Don't try to stand in the way of progress, Lord Vader. Either it's bad for a reason or it's good for a reason. "We don't need it" is no argument, because we didn't need Blogs either and now everybody loves em.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Don't be so proud of this technological terror they've constructed. The ability to "like" a post is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

Blog Entries
    Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you fix the forced subscribing, or given you enough clairvoyance to announce downtimes before they happen...

Banned
    Blog Entries

I find your lack of Sakura disturbing.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    That and encourage quality posts through the increase of e-peen, or showing appreciation for a fic/contribution without needing to comment on it (which also doesn't bump the thread because apparently necroing is THE MOST HORRIBLE THING EVER).

I just think it's a very neat feature to have. Not necessary (like blogs) but improving the overall forum experience.
    Yeah, honestly I don't like the idea of "reputation" at all. It just ostracises people (especially given that people with high reputation get to give more reputation out), and this forum is small enough that everyone knows their opinion of everyone else anyway.

Blog Entries
    It's not a reputation system, it only works for individual posts :V

I have to agree with I3uster on this one, though. Encouraging quality posts is good, as well as improving your own post quality by seeing as others approve or disapprove it. e-peenfags can get annoying, but as mentioned BL is intimate enough - though it's big enough as well.

Is it compatible with our kind of forum?
    Yes
    Last edited by Enhance; September 27th, 2012 at 11:23 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    It's not a reputation system, it only works for individual posts :V
    Well, perhaps.

I guess that could be useful, as long as it doesn't turn into people going "hey, I got 54 likes", and as long as the effect of posts being "liked" is very limited.

Well, perhaps.

I guess that could be useful, as long as it doesn't turn into people going "hey, I got 54 likes", and as long as the effect of posts being "liked" is very limited.
    Effect of posts being "liked" is a number next to it saying how many "likes" or "dislikes" it has.

And I would say people going "hey, I got 54 likes" on a whim in public sounds stupid, and in friendly circles it would be fine, don't you think?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, my issue with it is that it seems like it's going to turn into a way to bash certain people, particularly if it's shown in big letters by the side of the post.

Blog Entries
    The effect of a post being liked is a post being liked.

And e-peen isn't really a problem in BL. We never really get postcounterwhoring or anything either.

This would be especially useful for the RP threads, where OOC and IC threads run asynchronous, so for a casual lurker of said threads there is no visible strong reaction to individual posts, which would change with a like system.

Well, my issue with it is that it seems like it's going to turn into a way to bash certain people, particularly if it's shown in big letters by the side of the post.
    IMO you're overthinking it. You're already used to post-bashing, and if there's no "dislike" function you just will have 0 likes at your posts in the worst case, just like all irrelevant posts would.

Also, on many forums where this function is enabled, it's quite often forgotten (It's just a small button there. what matters is the post, alrite.)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The effect of a post being liked is a post being liked.

And e-peen isn't really a problem in BL. We never really get postcounterwhoring or anything either.

This would be especially useful for the RP threads, where OOC and IC threads run asynchronous, so for a casual lurker of said threads there is no visible strong reaction to individual posts, which would change with a like system.
    I don't get why it's a good thing to "like" RP posts.

Also, it seems to me like having that function will tend to mean that people judge what someone says on the basis of how many people "like" it rather than the weight of the argument, which isn't a good thing.

Although, not having a "dislike" function would perhaps make it better. A dislike function just seems like it's going to invite bashing to me.

Blog Entries
    Because it encourages quality posts?

And I doubt that people are this retarded.