---Part 1 - The Meeting - below
    ---Part 2 - DisCONnect
    --- Part ??? - Crystal Coup
    ---Part ??? - Fr0st of Blo0d
    ---Part ??? A - Crimson 0n the 5and Fi3ld

Son of Victory
    ---Part ??? - [TBD]

xxxxxxxx

The following is a series of documents keeping a record of the interaction between Vespuk native Blake Rosenthal, MEK pilot of the hyena-based Behemoth “Gnoll”, and the Agenora-native Rebecca “Bec” Blanq Mariner, MEK pilot of the sea serpent-based Leviathan “Hydra”.

The two pilots met in circumstances that could be likened to romance novels, despite what either may attest to; the “red string of fate” would not be inaccurate in describing it.

However, that is a mere summary. Let us begin…

xxxxxxxx

Mr. Blake Rosenthal was an up-and-coming skilled engineer in southeastern Vespuk. Though a bit disorganized in his dealings with both his work and his peers, he nonetheless got his jobs done, though at times a day or two late. But the quality and detail seemed to give credit to the extra time he spent. (Note: his peers would relate that he was lazy and rather bitterly cold, and a bit wordy if he did speak up.)

His father was a scientist [specifics removed] and his mother a consultant on mining and oil digs, while his only sibling, a brother, went on to a career as a musician. Both sides of his family were, predominantly, evangelical in roots, with a long-line of missionary and pastoral work. But, though Rosenthal held the belief, he was inactive in such areas.

He attests to having an “alright childhood”, citing that his years of schooling could have been better, especially in relation to his peers treatment of himself. This has been looked into and the matter dropped at his request, saying “I want to move forward; the past is important, and defines who we were and are, but we can change, improve - I can change.”

On the subject of career choice, he had always been a creative thinker, but had little focus, and his drive lost much backing sometime in his high school years. But, upon reaching college level, it was back again. Graduating and moving to one of Vespuk’s MEK centers, on specializing on the more ‘creative’ sciences involved, was what led to him meeting Miss Mariner.

xxxxxxxx

Ms. Rebecca “Bec” Blanq Mariner is the daughter of Sir Dakkar Mariner, a famous Agenoran MEK pilot, and a one-time champion in the nations’ tournament. (Note: Sir Dakkar has made requests for this very report.) She grew up in central Agenora.

Rather than what some may envision for her upbringing, Ms. Mariner did not live lavishly growing up, as her father and mother (note: also a former MEK pilot; little information known) strongly valued hard work and self-sustaining ideologies. From this and the accessible records of her school years, we can surmise rightly that Ms. Mariner was, in her own words, “bored as could possibly be”.

Upon graduation, with her father and mother pulling strings, she entered Agenora’s esteemed MEK pilot academy. She was popular among her peers, but not nearly to the point of being a “queen bee”, for a while until the first sparring sessions began, and an entirely new side to her awakened.

The on-record psychological review states that this was a case of undiagnosed, “mild” dissociative identity disorder. Ms. Mariner formerly showed no signs of it, but upon this first sparring session became playfully sadistic against her opponent, nigh-on butchering their MEK. And yet, moments later, she was back to her “old self”, wondering “what the hell was going on”.

This was the reason that Ms. Mariner was sent over to the same MEK facility that Mr. Rosenthal had entered, and where the two met.

xxxxxxxx

All records point to the first meeting between Mr. Rosenthal and Ms. Mariner being a Fall afternoon lunch break, one where Mr. Rosenthal had dragged out a host of his in-progress blueprints for a number of MEKs, though none of these designs were Ziz-based, even the Chimera, affirmed by both himself and his professors.

Apparently this continued work, and more than likely the designs themselves, drew Ms. Mariner’s attention, leading to an in-depth discussion, surprising themselves and their peers and onlookers.

Upon finding that Mr. Rosenthal was not a pilot, Ms. Mariner questioned him as to why he had not become one. His quick response was, “I don’t have the funds or sponsor to do so; for all my ideas and research, without a backer or sponsor, they are all just in my head. Nothing I can do about it, so I’m just sticking with what I do well and enjoy.”

Ms. Mariner’s response to this was, as all their peers and onlookers would attest, to promptly drag the young man by the sleeve, making sure he collected all his blueprints, and make a call to her father, querying what Vespuk-based ties he had and who among them was capable of sponsoring a MEK engineer (and designer) to be a pilot.

xxxxxxxx

After that conversation, in which Mr. Rosenthal grudgingly accepted sponsoring from one chosen out by Ms. Mariner, the Mariner heiress quickly aimed to train the young man in piloting, despite her issue. For all accounts, this was poor decision.

In a practice Behemoth-type MEK, Mr. Rosenthal was unprepared for the onslaught unleashed upon him and the personality displayed by the blue-haired young woman. But, rather than being discouraged as many thought would happen, he stepped up to the plate and fought back, though clumsily. This can either be seen as a good or bad thing, as Ms. Mariner’s “other self” decided that a “playmate” was “a hell lot of bitchin’ fun”.

Mr. Rosenthal sustained a head injury in over-taxing a sighting and targeting program he had installed into the practice MEK, and consequently gained a verbal tick of “snickering” at the end of his sentences. (Note: this more than likely will fade, given enough time.)

Ms. Mariner sustained no injury, though her “other self” remained active longer than any previously documented instance.

xxxxxxxx

This is the report thus-far accessible. Additions and corrections will be made as more information is released and compiled.

xxxxxxxx

Note: This is not only an enjoyable, experimental fiction on my part, but also one that I hope to receive feedback and critique upon.
    Kindly leave comments, thoughts, critique, questions, and the like for me, if you so desire.

For those that are a part of the RP, reading this might help you get a better idea for the setting, though doing so is neither required nor necessary. ^^
    Last edited by Lycodrake; February 9th, 2015 at 05:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Rosenthal? ... Armored Core says 'Hi' ;p

Good start though =)
    "An A+-Rank in Imagination, a D-Rank in Writing and an E-Rank in Luck ... what could possibly go wrong?"
    Personal Note: Somehow create own RP when/if I get to 2000* Posts ... that won't crash and burn on the first day after weeks of planning.

"Insufficiently analyzed genius is indistinguishable from insanity ... nishishi~"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahan View Post
    Rosenthal? ... Armored Core says 'Hi' ;p
    Haven't played the series, just decided to go with that last name for him. XD

Good start though =)
    Thank you. ^^
    F/GO SUPPORT

Hieratic Sun Dragon Overlord of Heliopolis Suncofold's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Coolio.

Current Fanfics:

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Sunco. ^^
    Glad you both liked it. Hopefully I'll be able to write some more on this quite often.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Eh, this is pretty darn interesting! It's an unorthodox story format, resembling more a report or a second-hand base recounting of events, but remains easy to follow and entertaining nonetheless with the way it describes how things happened.

An enjoyable read, and I'll definitely be following this.

Darn, this is now making me want more stories like this. Incluiding some about our PCs.
    xP

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
    Eh, this is pretty darn interesting! It's an unorthodox story format, resembling more a report or a second-hand base recounting of events, but remains easy to follow and entertaining nonetheless with the way it describes how things happened.
    Dood, you have no clue how happy I am to read/hear this. ^w^

An enjoyable read, and I'll definitely be following this.
    Thanks.~

Darn, this is now making me want more stories like this. Incluiding some about our PCs.
    xP
    I understand.
    F/GO SUPPORT

JP Friend Code
    PM Me
    Blog Entries
    I gotta admit, Lyco, this setting got me very interested. The writing style, while a bit unorthodox, is not bad; in fact, I think I've seen a similar style somewhere before. It goes well with how you describe things. An entertaining read overall.
    Hope you'll continue it eventually. I want to see where this story goes on (and by extension, the story you have planned for the RP).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KAIZA View Post
    I gotta admit, Lyco, this setting got me very interested. The writing style, while a bit unorthodox, is not bad; in fact, I think I've seen a similar style somewhere before. It goes well with how you describe things. An entertaining read overall.
    Hope you'll continue it eventually. I want to see where this story goes on (and by extension, the story you have planned for the RP).
    Thanks, KAIZA. ^^
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Here it is-the map!!!~
    World of Ferre - MEK World Map - ROUGH

Hope it isn't horrible. >///>;
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    It's acceptable, Lyco, don't worry. :P

Also, totally inconspicious landmass the size of a continent is inconspicious.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
    It's acceptable, Lyco, don't worry. :P
    Also, totally inconspicious landmass the size of a continent is inconspicious.
    Well, like I said in the RP OoC thread, it's important~ and based on a Gobline Shark. :'3
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    So the bunnies were bothering me to write some of our PCs... >,<
    Let's just imagine that this happens when a gigantic terrorist MEK lands in the arena in the middle of an official match~

------------

The crowds suddenly weren't cheering much, he thought.

As the massive mechanical monster, titanical even by MEK standards, roared from the arena, Jack turned away. Walking out of his seat, he stopped briefly by his subordinate standing near the exit, looking nearly as baffled as everyone else.

"There should be a squad of Vespuk Striker Jets on a patrol route passing 10 miles from here. Their ID is 00Z-Alpha. Order them in here and patch them through once they're in attacking range." he said in a restrained volume.

His subordinate jumped to attention at his beckoning, but his answer wasn't so controlled as the man would've liked.

"What? But, this is international territory! We don't have the authorization for something like that! We can't just -"

Jack answered him in the coldest tone he'd ever heard, no smile left on his face.

"Order them in."

"Y-yes. Sir." he retorted with a dry swallow.

His superior didn't stare at him for more than another instant before bolting away.

"Wait, sir, where are you going?" he asked, hesitatingly.

"Isn't it obvious? To get into Ophis." Jack told him, before stopping momentarily and signing him with his hand. "While you're at it, contact Davis. Tell him to work into turning off the MEK damage control security protocols. I don't care how, just tell him to do it."

The younger man looked stunned for a second as he watched his superior's retreating back, but blinked and quickly ran off to fulfill his orders.

\\====\\====\\

Moving through the dimly lit Vespuk Hangar with a silent rush, he raised his sunglasses in acknowledgement when he finally saw the familiar plating and wings of the snake-like Ziz MEK.

Scaling up his mechanical partner and opening the cockpit, he surpressed a reaction of suprise when he heard the sound of heavy boots stepping on MEK armor echo through the hangar as he sat on the pilot's seat.

Rising out of the cockpit, he blinked behind the dark lens when he saw the older pilot standing in front of the open cockpit of the Wolf MEK stationed across the hangar from Ophis. Smirking, he called out to him.

"Seems like we thought the same thing, uh old timer?"

David Slayter turned towards him with a surprised look, but eased back with a dry chuckle.

"Seems about right. And I'm not that old, brat."

Jack laughed a little as they both eased into their seats and brought the mechanical beasts to life.

--------------------

>.>
    <.<
    Hope it's alright I briefly used David Slayter as well.

Blog Entries
    Hyena and Serpent
    --Part 2 - DisCONnect

xxxxxxxx

The pair settled down for lunch. As usual, they were neither given a wide berth or a sense of camaraderie amongst the rest of those seated in the cafeteria. Blake attributed all this to Bec’s presence and his recently acquired verbal tic. He didn’t like calling it anything else; before the incident he didn’t laugh very often and when he did it was either out of amusement or joy.

It wasn’t a laugh; more like a cackle or condescending snicker at the back of his voice and mind.

His companion, for her part, had no comment about it in her regular persona. She was just as cool and collected as when he had first seen her. But he knew all too well what could rise up, and she knew that too.

But he didn’t expect her to talk about it, especially not here, not around others, not in the open with all these people…

“I apologize again, Rosenthall. I…know quite well that she,” her expression and voice dripped more venom than any viper he had run across, “can be utterly ruthless-“

Static-

The tearing off of the right back leg-

Shreaking metal and fibers-

Joyful, maddening laughter-

Why do I want to laugh, too?

This isn’t funny; I’m not happy. I’m in pain.

The MEK itself howls.

It shouldn’t be able to do that, not a practice MEK.

When did I start laughing?

Bloody, it’s seriously bloody.

Static.

“I hope you can forgive me for that, Rosenthall. She-“ that venom again “-has no sense of mercy or control, all restraints ‘off’.” She looks to the side, ashamed.

Having seen her face contorted in sadistic joy, he can’t help but feel entirely awkward. There’s a twitch at his lips and he fakes a cough to hide the unwanted laughter.

“…it’s…it’s alright; I know it isn’t your fault.”

Static-

The pain is everywhere.

I think I coughed up more blood than I’ve ever lost before.

Why won’t she stop? I’m not a match for her.

She’s winning, so easily winning.

Why did she drag me here?

To play with? I heard she did that to her last victims. They survived, but…

Static.

“…if that’s all you want to say on it now, fair enough. Just know I mean it.” Her tone had changed.

He flinched back for a split second, but her eyes caught it.

“I should go.” Not a chance to stop her; she leaves before he can say anything else.

The whispers started.

He hears a laugh in his head.

It’s cruel. Too cruel.

xxxxxxxx

Tried a different style here. Hope you all enjoy. ^^
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Holy shit, the incident really left its marks on Blake. Not just physical, as it first seemed.
    Or did it just awaken something in him?

Regardless of how, it's pretty clear it greatly bothers him. And that Rebecca feels pretty bad about it, if not even repulsed by herself and what her alternate persona did. Though it's obvious that she's pretty bothered by something in Blake. And that it's making things a little bit awkward for them.

Curiouser and curiouser.

This snip, while a great departure in style from the previous one, reads pretty well. The style lends it a suffocating atmosphere that works very well with the way Blade and Bec are behaving to each other in the wake of the uncertainties and uneasiness both seem to feel.
    Good job.

Blog Entries
    Thank you very much, YOLF. I wanted to test out a style here, and I'm very glad to know that it turned out decently (at the very least). ^^

And yes, the incident left rather...permanent marks on both of them.
    Blake, from the trauma, confusion, and scars on his mind and body.
    Rebecca from the realization that her "other self" might have, quite literally, torn away the sanity of a young man she barely new.

I might write some more in this specific style soon enough, but I think I might switch it up until I decide on a "definate" style. :'3c
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Hyena and Serpent
    ---Part ??? - Fr0st of Blo0d

xxxxxxx

Static-

What are they, these crystalline beings?

They are the same size as the MEKs one second, and the next, the same as the average person.

I have a migraine. Looking at them makes my mind whirl in confusion.

So why and how am I defending myself from them?

I’m not a soldier, nor a warrior.

I’m barely even a good mechanic.

I’m the guy most mechanics scoff at: “all ideas and little to no practical applications”.

But I’m firing the weapon in my hand, outside of the comfort and protection of my MEK, and holding my own.

No…I’m only defending. They fire off shards of metal and of ice.

Like meteorites in the shape of barbs and bolts.

And these…things, beings, they are probing my defenses.

I was so stupid.

I should have run. But I didn’t.

But…here on -static-, with corpses already littering the tundra, there is nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide.

I feel a jagged spear before I see it. My leg has already been pinned down.

Blood. Red. Pain. Bone injury.

Three ounces of blood. Thirty-seven and two stitches. Five splinters.

Why am I laughing?

I volley off another shot. The fire whirs.

This isn’t funny. I’m laughing again, though.

Who is laughing with me? Why is it mixed with anger and amusement?

Static.

“You are an idiot of the highest order. The Darwin award would be too low of an honor.”

One of the things is smashed into by the shaft of a spear, the hand at the middle already twirling it back into a defensive stance.

“I know.” He’s still bleeding.

“…she is about to rear her head.”

“For the fourth time, I’m glad to hear that.” This time he laughs in sync.

“Good. Try to not lose more blood. Or whine too much. She doesn’t like whiners.”

He nods slowly, “Yeah.” A pause, “…Nikita on the way, or did Rusija’s poster-boy get a different mission?”

“He’s back at the first site, cleaning up and helping the medics check on the wounded…and the dead.”

“How many?”

“…four dozen accounted for. Nine still unsighted. Half wounded, the other half barely alive.” She pauses, “…get ready.”

“…I’ll try to hold on. I can’t feel this leg.”

“The aim is to evacuate the island and quarantine and blockade all established ports. Father is already…” she breathes heavily, “Already on the scene.”

“…ah.”

Her face contorts. He knows what’s about to happen next. All he can do now is keep on firing until further help arrives. For once he might appreciate Nikita’s help. And her's.

xxxxxxx

Last edited by Lycodrake; October 25th, 2012 at 08:21 PM.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Some disturbing psychological stuff going on with the mention of these inhuman adversaries. Blake's (I'm guessing it's him) emotional state and descriptions have a feel very reminiscent to "war is hell".

Sounds like some heavy shit is going on. I'm guessing this is the aftermath of a violent attack on an island where the MEK tournaments take place? Hell, if he's considering even appreciating help from Bec's alternate persona, that doesn't say anything good about the situation.

This is quite the foreboding preview of things to come. I like it!

Blog Entries
    Heheheheheheh-.~ :3

Glad to hear you liked it, YOLF. I seem to like this style a whole lot.
    Though I might cut down on the "static" side of things for certain parts.

And yeah, accepting Bec's "other" as help is meant to give you a sense of things having gone FUBAR.

Foreboding is a very apt description.~ Hehehehehehe...
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Hyena and Serpent
    ---Part ??? A - Crimson 0n the 5and Fi3ld

xxxxxxx

Blake shifted his fingers, keeping his triggers at the ready, on the control systems. One of the advantages of having a Behemoth MEK that had a normal amount of limbs and a short tail was the operating system for piloting could be altered slightly and still be repaired, if need be, with the same parts as it had been originally built with.

The cooling unit alongside his MEK’s saw-like mane also kept him from getting uncomfortable due to any temperature change - wearing the standard piloting gear tended to make you sweat after about a quarter of an hour, so those with “freezing” gear tended to have the least trouble with that, but those with “flame” also had cooling units within their piloting chassis that simulated the effect.

It especially helped him in situations like these - a battle against a “solar”-using MEK. While the effect varied greatly between pilot and MEK-type, the basic mechanics behind the usual attacks, defenses, and other assorted skills remained the same: a pierce-like energy beam, blinding light, or, in this case, using the heat of the sun to wear down the opponent.

“Oi, Rosenthall, you going to get the show on the road, or is my little sunshine wearing you and your little laugher out?” The question arose from over the communication link, which provided a near-permanent mug shot of the battling pilots for spectators…and commentary from the pilots.

He steeled his features a bit, “Jesh, shut up. You do not want me to start laughing.”

Static.

The cacophony roared in his ears as the whirr of his MEK’s main weapon gained momentum, fire spewing around him like hellfire. His trigger finger moved automatically; he was caged in his own mind again. “Come on, come on, come on-! Give me a challenge here!”

Static.

“Yeah, yeah; like I care,” his punk-haired peer waved it off, a hand off of his controls - there!

His entire stance shifted; the grip on the controls far more alert than his relaxed “planning stage”. The whirring began and his hyena MEK dashed forward in the sandy forest terrain.

Judging by the response Jesh had, which consisted of a scoff and “raising the heat!” and moving his camel-like MEK off the top of the sand dune, Blake’s choice had been the right one.

He knew better than to charge head-on at Jesh’s “Vual”; it was like asking Bec to use her MEK to smash his skull in considering that the close- and mid-range strategies the other pilot was known to use, but that didn’t prevent him from using other means of attacking from the front.

One of the advantages the terrain and glaring sun granted him was heat, even if his target had some resistance to it. He typed out a few command prompts with his left hand and then returned the grip to controls, flipping up twin components with his thumbs. The whirring of the saw-blades that made up his MEK’s mane sounded through the cockpit chassis.

“Don’t give me the silent treatment over it. Who was the one that still follows Bec the Bitch around like an abused mutt? That’d be you, Mr. Rosenthall. You could’ve gotten help with that little tic of yours, but you decided against it, right? Was it the awe and mystery of the psychotic beauty that drained you of reasoning? Or were you always that foolish?”

‘Shut up shut up shut up shut up-!!!’ Blake kept himself in check outwardly, but the indignation was building.

Static.

“Aw~, that face you’re making right now, Blake, it’s wonderful~,” he had just bisected Bec’s serpentine MEK, but this side of her was gleeful about it, ecstatic; he should have known better. “But~…you need to step up your game!”

The manic grin he had been wearing was removed with the force of a sledgehammer. ‘How!? I cut the MEK in two…’

“…disappointing, you’re not even going to dodge. Oh~, if only you could retain your full brain while having fun.” He had a second to be aware of her ire rising and his MEK being restricted by ice around each foot, before the two sections had cables extend and snap back in place. There was no armor covering it, but she didn’t need it.

Then there was only crimson pain and dispassionate eyes.

Static.

The laughter from his opponent brought him out of the memory. “You were probably thinking, ‘why don’t I just enjoy the moment? She can’t be that bad.’ Man, what they say is true, techies who dream big are the most foolish of any MEK personnel.”

He ground his teeth in agitation that kept on building. He used to not have a hair-thin trigger on his emotions, especially anger, but that was then.

This was now.

He pulled the trigger. The blades sounded like so many angry hunting dogs…or perhaps like the laughter of a bitter and angry mind.

The sands below the huge mechanical frames were stained with red.

Someone was laughing.

xxxxxxx

Oh hey, I finally finished this piece. XP
    F/GO SUPPORT