Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Play: Battle Moon Wars!

Blog Entries

Let's Play: Battle Moon Wars!

Forgetting my disastrous decision to put this on a different website altogether, for no I bring you--

Let's Play Battle Moon Wars: The (unofficial?) BL Thread!

So what's Battle Moon Wars and what can I expect?--A long time ago in the far off year of 2005 AD, the doujin group "Werk" decided that they loved Nasuverse enough to make a huge crossover project that uses a game engine based on the super popular (Japan-only) Super Robot Wars series. In short, expect a lot of cool explosions, turn-based strategy, fanservice and huge crossover shenanigans that one would normally expect from a Super Robot Wars-style game.

Except shipping. Quite a little of that, actually.

(For those who don't know, SRW is notorious for its immense amount of shipping per game. Original Generation 2 even lampshades it, with good reason--most everyone was more or less going out with everyone else)

What with this being a major crossover within the Nasuverse itself, expect to see all of the famous Nasuverse regulars and then some.
    Spoiler:
    Except Kotomine, Mikiya and Assassin/Sasaki. Sasaki was cut for unknown reasons.

For the most part, this combination works very well. And it is a pretty fun game to have. It's PC only, to boot. The SRW series as a whole is usually filled with reliably fun games to play with, minus a few gameplay tweaks and quirks every here or there. It is a gameplay stylistic choice that isn't truly broken, but your mileage my vary on that part. I personally very much like SRW series and Battle Moon Wars is no exception. I play it quite a bit, still!

But what is Super Robot Wars?--The Super Robot Wars series is a Japan-only mega crossover game that features mechs such as Gundam, Mazinger Z and Getter Robo all getting together and then beating the living Jesus out of whoever is trying to destroy the world/universe/everything this time around. Super Robot Wars Alpha 3 has the all time record of having the player save the world a total of three times.

As for gameplay...goes like this.

Traditional RPG elements--stats, money, the works--in a linear gameplay style very similar to Advance Wars but more precisely Fire Emblem. Move all your units around, attacking and defeating and leveling up, then your round ends and it's the enemies turn to do the same. Real simple. At first. The major dividends start to show themselves with restricting movement via height, the "indirect damage" zones for attack ranges, how you strengthen your characters and so on and so forth. More on these when they become relevant.

So why are all all the good guys from Kara no Kyoukai/Fate/stay night/Tsukihime getting together? Why are they meeting?--Because it's awesome. Also, something about the end of the world or something. The bad guys are teaming up so we can kill them or something.

Spoiler:
    No, seriously.

Is this game in English?
    --Originally, no. But some guy went and translated the whole game for English speaking countries. You can get the English patch here. It translates the entire game but not all of the content such as the names of the songs, some of the enemy's attacks and the character glossary.

What are your thoughts about spoilers?--I personally don't care if you talk about spoilers as long as you tag them.

Are you good at this game at all?--Yo mama.

The first stage will be up soon enough but don't expect too many explosions and decapitations. They're only rabbits, I mean. Oh, and like a bird or something.

One last thing...

I'll make a post detailing each and every single character we come across on our journey through the batshit insanity that is the Nasuverse. Friend and foe alike. I'll make mention of their uses, SP moves, that sort of thing.

Feel free to post feedback.

Email: [email protected]
    Twitter: I don't have that
    Tumblr: I don't have that, either.

Table of Contents:

Haruna's Route:

Update 1: Into the Dark Alley...

The Unit info dump--updates with the updates!
    Last edited by ThisLoserisYou; October 2nd, 2012 at 12:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I am subscribing to this, I tried playing it myself and it is a lot of fun, specially if you're a fan of Fire Emblem. I only got to the sixth stage though.

Spoilered for your convenience

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Or he just knows that Sakura's vagina isn't the scary place everyone else thinks it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    A good box is like a good woman: thick, sturdy, and easy to get into.
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Breasts aren't made of concrete. They do change shape- gravity, orientation, momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    I am thy lord thy canon pairing. Thou shalt not have any other pairings before me.
    Quote Originally Posted by oblueknighto View Post
    Horrible people don't like bacon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Holy shit man you're magical.
    Words don't have genders you illiterate fucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paitouch View Post
    I am 100% uncultured swine.
    We now live in a world where a Final Fantasy VII remake will exist before the Tsukihime remake.

I've beaten the game several times and gotten all the secrets so if you need some info I can help.
    Spoiler:
    As a general rule I hold no opinions that I have not been paid to hold.
    I am now a beta, so if you need help with a story feel free to ask.

Words of wisdom from ItsaRandomUsername:
    "Pssh, with proper writing almost anything can be logical. If it can work believably, then there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Please note the keywords: "proper" and "almost". Bad storytelling mixed with nonsensical couplings are the drunk-driving of literature."

Quote Originally Posted by Kiiam View Post
    Nothing helps you mature more than a little murder, especially in the Nasuverse.
    We are Beast's Lair!
    Derailer among derailers!
    Look upon the continuity of thy threads ye mighty, and DESPAIR!

Blog Entries
    I've beaten the game several times and gotten all the secrets so if you need some info I can help.
    So've I. My tactics are proven workable but HEY--any new tricks might be fun to try out, too...

As a quick heads up, I'll be doing a run of the Haruna route. No newgame+, of course. All 50 Battle Masteries + the secret character of Haruna's Route.

Doubt I have any tricks you don't already know but if you want my opinion on any of the characters I'll tell you.
    Spoiler:

"Pssh, with proper writing almost anything can be logical. If it can work believably, then there's no reason why it shouldn't.
    Please note the keywords: "proper" and "almost". Bad storytelling mixed with nonsensical couplings are the drunk-driving of literature."

Nothing helps you mature more than a little murder, especially in the Nasuverse.
    We are Beast's Lair!

Blog Entries
    Doubt I have any tricks you don't already know but if you want my opinion on any of the characters I'll tell you.
    How do make Akiha useful!?

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    First of all: Give her "Hit & Away" as soon as possible (aka, the first time you're able to do so).

There, Akiha just got 70% more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?

Blog Entries
    First of all: Give her "Hit & Away" as soon as possible (aka, the first time you're able to do so).
    And second of all?
    Last edited by ThisLoserisYou; September 30th, 2012 at 03:32 PM.

That depends, one option is to turn her into tank Akiha. If you're doing that you want def support and defender.
    Last edited by nitewind; September 30th, 2012 at 04:11 PM.
    Spoiler:

We are Beast's Lair!

Blog Entries
    I personally tend to put such love and care into Ryougi. :3 (not as a tank, I mean, just the attention in general)

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    The characters I put most of my attention are post-upgade!Haruna, Meidos (yup, Hisui & Kohaku not only as healers, but fighters too), Arc, Kaleido Ruby and Lancer.

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?

Blog Entries
    I did a simple thing once I got Bazett. Gave her Gil's Card and upgraded her fully and increased her hit rate and strengths with all the shit I was saving.

All I had to do was get her out and then I won all the things.

Fucking Fragarach

Blog Entries

Stage 1: Time to get our feet a little wet! WET WITH THE BLOOD OF OUR ENEMIES!

Let's Play Battle Moon Wars:Stage 1:For the sake of Completion

Sup, title screen?

Title Screen: "Not much."

So a nice piano solo fittingly called "Title Credits" accompanies the screen here. It's kinda nice. Fits well in the Nasuverse, which has a record of having hardly the heaviest of melodies. A more subtle grace has always been its finer points.

Hit that New Game and the adventure begins....

Oh wait...we have to choose a route first. Another SRW staple!

We have Takumi Atsuta as the protagonist of the "Super" route--Super in this case meaning "damage sponge and damage dealer"--while Haruna is the protagonist of the "Real" route...which means "lightning bruiser" more or less. As one can see, the pictures offer their own descriptions.

Either route focuses on one half of this massive clustercatookin of a crossover: Takumi's route focuses on the Tsukihime side while Haruna's route leans more towards the Fate/stay night route. Now since my last playthrough I did Takumi, this time I'm going to pick the Haruna route and hope I regret nothing!

Wouldn't be Japanese if there wasn't at least one talking cat. The OC organization--Shin'i--really hits home with a plethora of anime/manga tropes. It can be kind of distracting at times.

: If I remember right, a vampire princess, a curry obsessed church soldier, and other strong people gathered there and ended up in a last-man standing battle royale. This created stagnation, destroying the balance of the land and allowed evil spirits to rise up. They were repelled with the town guardian's help, but not before the city had suffered immensely.

Don't let Haruna fool you--in truth, she's as dumb as any other Shonen protagonist.

: What's that?

Takumi is much better in the intelligence department. He's got brawn AND brains.

: That's pretty much correct. As Haruna said, Misaki City is an unstable region. That area is so incredibly stagnant...That it's no wonder evil spirits were born. And when they were expelled... The blessed power of the townspeople and the guardian threw the land into a precarious balance. The distress call from our agents in Misaki claims that there are signs that the balance has deteriorated.

: What signs?

: Apparently, the stagnation is beginning to spread.

: What makes them think that?

: This isn't public yet, but there's been a number of unexplained murders...

I'm no criminologist or anything, but I'm pretty sure that a lot of murders go unexplained in a city. Seriously, cat. Have you even been to Harlem?

: They could easily be attributed to the stagnation. Nya. THERE. I SAID IT.

: ...

I always wondered how to say "dot dot dot" and to this day I remain baffled as to how.

: And that's why the distress call came?

: There's that, and one more thing.

: And that is?

Ya know what, Garfield? The only thing I keep hearing from your mouth is "nya nya nya nya nya nya nya nya".

: An entire city becoming hallowed ground...

: Yes, I can't believe it either. In all honesty, this could be a hoax.

Some professionals you guys are.

: But, you must have seen this happen before.

: Indeed, there have been cases. However, those incidents took much longer to develop. In the same month that Misaki City's stagnation has begun to spread so far, a series of murders has occurred there.

: That's right. The local government is no longer able to control the situation. Your job is to locate the town guardian, Akiha Tohno, and confirm what's happening. Then you will settle whatever is disturbing the balance before it's too late.

SCENE CHANGE!!!

~Moosic~ - Track 5

: Definitely. The stagnation has had some time to spread.

: This is a first for me...

: Since this alley is so incredibly tainted, it must be the origin.

: That's true. This alley feels like it's the most stagnant part of the city.

: There definitely seems to be something incredible awakening here.

: Yes.

The shriek that comes just before this screen always gets me.

: !

: Let's get to it.

Who ya gonna call?

: Understood!

Now it's time for the game proper!

This Let's Play is not a tutorial. Things like "Move: 5 means you move five spaces" should be incredibly obvious for the most part. What I will point out, however, are the quirks and the intricacies most Western gamers probably won't get. What with Super Robot Wars having an incredibly limited release (two games for the GBA and that's it).

We'll come to those bits when they're relevant, though. These first few levels rather bluntly teach you the basics through their design. Since we've got a level playing field here, it's just for those new to the game to get how the game itself works. It's all pretty simple.

Such as enemy stats. Enemy stats will only be visible after they've been in a battle with one of your units. Once you've traded blows, every inch of detail about them becomes known to you, the player.

<<<<<<<<<<<<what the character menu looks like after left-clicking--we've got Move, attack, SP, and stats. So far.>

In the options menu there's an option to leave the Tool Boxes on. I recommend heavily keeping it on. Absolutely no one is going to expect you to memorize every single Skill, SP move and yada yada.

I sob Takumi's way over to this....rabbit and choose one of his moves. Now you'll notice here I have 200% of a chance of hitting. What does that mean, you might ask? Well, 200% obviously means I'll hit no matter what. Anything past 100% is normally only relevant with the enemies' chance-to-hit because you can choose the "dodge" action during their turn. If there's a 100% chance for them to hit you, choosing "dodge" will bring it down to 50%. If it's 160% chance to hit and you yet again choose "dodge", then it becomes 80%. And so on.

Naturally, I exercise extreme prejudice on this meager foe.

Every battle will net some xp. Defeating a foe gets you more, as is obvious. However, the BP and FP are set amounts in relation to the creature you defeated. I beat the lowest of the low so my reward is accordingly small.

(Note: This is from my "for fun" playthrough so my units are quite buffed. Future updates will be set as a regular, non-New Game+.)

~Moosic~ - Counter Attack, Haruna's battle theme

[CENTER]

Just another day at work.

Hm hm hm~

Japanese for "YOU GET BATTLE MASTERY" or something.

And I assume this means you win. But don't quote me on that.

Rabbits. Terrible beyond comprehension.

: It was a totally new kind of evil spirit.

: Looks like the unbelievable reports of this area becoming hallowed weren't so unbelievable.

: What should we do now?

: Good question. Let's split up. Haruna, you go ahead to Tohno's mansion and meet up with her.

: And you?

: I'm going to take a look around. I want to confirm what's going on in this city. There may be places the stagnation is just as strong as it is here.

Aaaaaaaaand that's the end of part one! 1 out of 53 total! So the two split up (for some reason) and now we're just left with Haruna to tinker around with.

Next time: Everyone's favorite Tsundere magus joins our party!

AND SO

<<<<<This is what Takumi used to look like, prior to Werk updating his...everything.

<<<<<This is old Haruna. I personally like the old Haruna better. She looks older and more mature here.
    Last edited by ThisLoserisYou; October 1st, 2012 at 12:16 AM.

I'm not sure if it's you or me but I can only see maybe 1 out of 5 of your pics.
    Spoiler:

We are Beast's Lair!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ThisLoserisYou View Post
    I personally tend to put such love and care into Ryougi. :3 (not as a tank, I mean, just the attention in general)
    Keep enough points to max out Ryougi first time you get her, never care about anything ever again.

Blog Entries

Well shit.

I'm working on fixing it even now.

I can see the big screenshots but nothing else.
    Spoiler:

We are Beast's Lair!

Blog Entries
    Okay that should've done the job. Can everyone see....a lot of pics? Lol. The portraits are a little on the big side but I'll fix that by the next update.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    Keep enough points to max out Ryougi first time you get her, never care about anything ever again.
    This is kind of what I did too my first game.

She's incredible at killing everything.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisLoserisYou View Post
    I always wondered how to say "dot dot dot" and to this day I remain baffled as to how.
    daw-tuh daw-tuh daw-tuh
    Simple.