Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Mike Facebook Controversy.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries

On the Mike Facebook Controversy.

We wish to make a few points clear regarding this situation, since a good deal of you know about it, and worse, are having misinformation about it. Normally we do not do this, but seeing as this could lead to a very unfair outcome for one of the participants, we figure it is better to provide this information than to keep it an internal matter, as we normally would.

As some of you surely know, Neir posted information on an IRC channel we do not moderate on June 21st, that as it turned out, linked to Mike's Facebook profile. No actual real information was obtained, short of his actual name, and a picture, as that profile had been set to private.

At this point, we began following the paper trail, and we found (at the time) what we had thought to be the answer - namely, that Mike had jokingly challenged nobody could find his Facebook, and Flame took it as a sarcastic challenge, set out, and did it, followed soon after by a later-deleted post indicating "PM sent." A week and a half later, Neir put the profile link in that IRC channel.

Based on that information, we banned Flame for 3 days (for passing the information on to Neir) and Neir for 7 days (for actually spreading it).

At this point, Neir protested. His information led me to finding that what had actually happened, which was the following:
    • The PM that Flame had sent was to Mike, not Neir. Mike then asked Flame to remove that post, so he deleted it some hours later.
    • All remained quiet for about a week and a half, until, by Flame's own admission, he became angry at Mike for some reason. As a result, Flame sent the Facebook link along to Neir, completely and 100% unsolicited.
    • A minute or two later, Flame then PMs me, asking me if it was okay for one member to send another member's facebook profile to a third member.
    • Neir then linked this information in that IRC channel about 10 minutes later, and according to Neir, he did not even know for sure that this was Mike's actual Facebook, but he linked it anyway.

With that new information, we upped Flame's ban to one week. However, Neir is not the one who "stalked" Mike for this information - Flame was.

Currently, what we are doing with Neir is up to debate. I have provided the information to the other admins, and personally, I do not feel he deserves a one-week punishment (at most, 1-3 days, because he should have used better judgment) but two other admins feel the incident is serious enough that Neir should keep his one week ban as we had originally handed out. They do not want Beast's Lair turning into the sort of site where members stalk other members and try to get information on them - a justifiable concern, I will admit.

Assuming the last admin agrees with the need to bring up a reduction in Neir's punishment, at that point, we are deadlocked, and in an attempt to resolve it, the decision goes to the mods, who will either pass it (thus reducing or removing Neir's sentence), fail it (thus keeping Neir at his original one-week ban), or likewise deadlock. If they also deadlock, we consult Evospace, fill him in, and his word is absolute and final.

If anyone has questions, we will try to answer them as best as we can, but please stop blaming Neir as the stalker. Plenty of people are accusing him and angry at him, and it's really not his fault. He's guilty of spreading the link, yes, but he is not the one who sought it out.

P.S.: Obviously, we don't want anyone else doing this ever again. If you're linking Facebook profiles of other members anywhere, you'd damn well better have their permission.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Blog Entries
    My vote to ban is based upon thus: In acting upon information received, even unsolicited, Beast's Lair was made into a node of personal information trafficking. Once the decision was made to not ignore and not delete the information, responsibility was earned. The intent is not something I can judge, nor will I, just the action. I do not condone the practice of spreading personal information at any level.

Facebook is semi-public, yes, but without explicit permission, that information is not someone else's to propagate. Even at the job I hold currently, people have been fired for things that appear on that website. As such, I want to make it blatantly clear that Beast's Lair will not be any part of the spread of such information. I don't care WHERE it was posted. It was taken off of this site and spread.

If it seems strict, it is. I don't think something like this should be taken lightly.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Whatever the whole decides, I'll back, obviously.

The Great Challenge of Our Time

Quote Originally Posted by KENTA View Post
    Was important to me...........
    Quote Originally Posted by lilithsama View Post
    anal is what's important to you?
    nice priorities =_=
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTA View Post
    It's not important to you?

Thanks to TheSpy for the Sig pic~

LOAD "*" ,8,1

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Sorry, but Flame is not the one to blame here. He went looking for my account after I challenged him that he couldn't find it. I have no real problem with that (I went looking for Seika's when she found mine, just out of curiosity). I do have a problem with him PMing it to Neir, but I don't see how that is any worse than what Neir did.

Further, I don't see how the fact that Neir found the information out via a PM rather than searching for it himself makes it any better. The problem is not that he found my facebook account, it's that he actively spread it around to other people.

Flame being naturally curious is not something I have an issue with. I am naturally curious, and if someone challenged me to find their facebook account, I'm pretty sure I'd try. The issue is spreading it around to other people without permission.

Whilst my facebook account is more private now, I would prefer not to have to do that. I like the fact that people I actually know are able to find me on there without too much difficulty, and it doesn't contain enough personal information (aside from my name, profile picture and date of birth, which anyone who would care IRL would already know) to be a serious issue. Unfortunately, I didn't consider the possibility that people on here would hunt me down and then publicise the information.
    Last edited by Mike1984; June 23rd, 2012 at 08:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster View Post
    My vote to ban is based upon thus: In acting upon information received, even unsolicited, Beast's Lair was made into a node of personal information trafficking. Once the decision was made to not ignore and not delete the information, responsibility was earned. The intent is not something I can judge, nor will I, just the action. I do not condone the practice of spreading personal information at any level.

Facebook is semi-public, yes, but without explicit permission, that information is not someone else's to propagate. Even at the job I hold currently, people have been fired for things that appear on that website. As such, I want to make it blatantly clear that Beast's Lair will not be any part of the spread of such information. I don't care WHERE it was posted. It was taken off of this site and spread.

If it seems strict, it is. I don't think something like this should be taken lightly.
    I agree with my husband here.

This should not have happened, and I am for Neir keeping the one week ban. (I was the one who suggested it in the first place.) Both what Flame and Neir did was grossly wrong and needs to be dealt with in a serious manner. We want our visitors and regulars to feel safe at BL, not that people can give other people information about each other to use for ill gain.

Neir did not have to post that information, and honestly he should have told one of us Admins or a moderator what Flame had done. He did none of the above and just posted it on the chat for shits and giggles. It would not be fair if the two of them did not get the same punishment.

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Blog Entries
    I'm agreeing with RB and Elf on this. I'm personally calling for Neir to keep his ban.

Blog Entries
    Not that my vote matters, but it makes sense that the ban would stay for both. To me, anyway.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Aiden's mind is a scary place, but this part is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radiantbeam View Post
    I dunno, I quite like Aiden's mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok
    .....Damn yo-

NO. NO I WILL NOT SAY IT.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmyn of Ragnarok
    Damn you

My Work:
    Heroes of Justice

Semi-Random Pieces and Drabbles

Diaries of a Youthful Maiden

??? - new project, coming soon (by Valve time)

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My concern doesn't really come from the stalking or the facebook thing, but on him being banned for an off-site offense.

While I am not going to argue whether he deserves the ban or for how long, I want to know what is going to be BL's new policy on off-site stuff. I mean, if you banned people for things that happened or were said in #notes, a lot of people there would be in trouble.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    My concern doesn't really come from the stalking or the facebook thing, but on him being banned for an off-site offense.

While I am not going to argue whether he deserves the ban or for how long, I want to know what is going to be BL's new policy on off-site stuff. I mean, if you banned people for things that happened or were said in #notes, a lot of people there would be in trouble.
    I'm pretty sure that, in general, saying things on #notes (or elsewhere) is fine. Obvious attempts to bypass the rules by giving out the personal information of other members off-site knowing the likely response is not.

The only argument I've heard in favour of him essentially boils down to "well, I know it was wrong, but we must follow the rules to the letter even if that leads to an injust outcome". And, honestly, that argument works no better for Neir than it does for fucking investment bankers or tax dodgers. Sure, it might work when you're talking to a government, but this is not a government. The mods here do not have to stick rigidly to the rules even when the result would be horribly unjust.
    Last edited by Mike1984; June 23rd, 2012 at 02:43 PM.

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    So, are we going to be referring to this as Book Gate from now on?
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Blog Entries
    Only if you wish to earn my undying contempt. Politicians and news organizations that insist on adding gate onto everything is something that drives me straight up the wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

The Tobias-scorngate.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Satehi View Post
    The Tobias-scorngate.
    Rapebirdgate?

quotes
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Whew! About to slip down. VelspertheCat's Avatar
    Rapebirdgate rolls off the tongue better.
    Spoiler:
    Is it pimping myself out if it's hidden?
    Index of Stories, Conceptual Writing, and Scenes

Blog Entries
    Urge to kill......rising....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Shaggedbyarareparrotgate?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Urge to kill......rising....
    Rapebird is activating his Noble Phantasm, Murdergate!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My concern was mostly that no actual hacking or illegal means of acquiring information were used here.

Everything was pieced together from all the private information Mike himself dumped in the forum.

Mike himself is partially at fault here, a ban is not warranted given nothing illegal transpired.

A severe warning against stalking would suffice.

And Mike himself should exercise caution in disclosing things on BL to avoid things like this happening again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I agree with my husband here.

This should not have happened, and I am for Neir keeping the one week ban. (I was the one who suggested it in the first place.) Both what Flame and Neir did was grossly wrong and needs to be dealt with in a serious manner. We want our visitors and regulars to feel safe at BL, not that people can give other people information about each other to use for ill gain.

Neir did not have to post that information, and honestly he should have told one of us Admins or a moderator what Flame had done. He did none of the above and just posted it on the chat for shits and giggles. It would not be fair if the two of them did not get the same punishment.
    There's conflict of interest here, since you are throwing in with your husband, lol.
    Last edited by food; June 23rd, 2012 at 08:51 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    My concern was mostly that no actual hacking or illegal means of acquiring information were used here.

Everything was pieced together from all the private information Mike himself dumped in the forum.

Mike himself is partially at fault here, a ban is not warranted given nothing illegal transpired.

A severe warning against stalking would suffice.

And Mike himself should exercise caution in disclosing things on BL to avoid things like this happening again.
    You're entirely missing the point. The issue is not that people went looking for my Facebook account, it's that they passed the link on to other people and, in Neir's case, posted it publically.

I am, perhaps, at fault for Flame being able to find the account, but I am not in any way responsible for the actions he and Neir took with the information. Further, "nothing illegal took place" is just a cop-out. Neir's actions were clearly malicious, and to let him get away with it just because of a technicality would just encourage bullying and similar antics in the future.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    You're entirely missing the point. The issue is not that people went looking for my Facebook account, it's that they passed the link on to other people and, in Neir's case, posted it publically.

I am, perhaps, at fault for Flame being able to find the account, but I am not in any way responsible for the actions he and Neir took with the information. Further, "nothing illegal took place" is just a cop-out. Neir's actions were clearly malicious, and to let him get away with it just because of a technicality would just encourage bullying and similar antics in the future.
    You are missing my point.

My point is that this whole mess would not have happened if you did not leave a trail of personal information. Heck, it is not a trail, it is a highway.
    Most of the dudes here can find your facebook if they tried, given how liberal you are with dumping them.

Let this be a painful lesson to you as well.

And legality is legality. No matter how you rage and butt mad, they did nothing illegal. They traced back to you with the information YOU offered here.
    Last edited by food; June 23rd, 2012 at 09:04 PM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, shockingly enough, I would rather be able to discuss things with people on the forum without having to cover up basic details like where I went to university and what I do. My username is perhaps poorly-chosen, but changing it now would be pointless, and when I first joined I did not expect to be in a position where it would matter (not to mention that I am extremely uncreative).