Thread: Concerns with the translation of the UBW movie

So as i pray... Unlimited Bug Works! Kariya's Avatar

Concerns with the translation of the UBW movie

Hello people, nice to meet you.

I have some doubts with the translation to english of UBW movie and i would appreciate if you could help me with your knowledge in Japanese:

- In the beginning of the movie, when Archer appears and the poem it's in english and japanese in 0:27 to 0:45 , what it says in Japanese? "My body is made of swords..." Or "His body is made of swords"?
    - When Saber talks in 1:10:30 to 1:10:35 , what she really says? I think "Are you not the heroic embodiment of Shirou's ideals?" it's wrong, and "Shouldn't you embody Shirou's ideal of Man turned Hero?" it's wrong too.
    - In 1:17:38 to 1:18:16, what the poem says? "My body is made of swords..." Or "His body is made of swords"?

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Kariya; October 24th, 2012 at 08:39 AM.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll help you despite your username. :V

It's not "my body" exactly, more like "that" body. So could be "his" if you want. It's pretty vague.

Also I could have sworn I've seen someone asking about that Saber line before, but I guess I'd say "are you not Shirou after becoming his ideal, a hero?" or something like that.

(Line is シロウの理想、英雄となった姿があなたではないのですか for anyone who doesn't care to watch the video)

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Welcome. First, there's already a sticky topic for these kinds of questions so ask them there in the future.

In the beginning of the movie, when Archer appears and the poem it's in english and japanese in 0:27 to 0:45 , what it says in Japanese? "My body is made of swords..." Or "His body is made of swords"?
    I always interpreted it as an implied "my body", because it's the Japanese version of the UBW chant you always hear in English. The line "I am the bone of my sword" is supposed to be analagous to "体は剣で出来ている". Even if they mean different things, the subject should still be the speaker.

To clarify for OP, Shirou and Archer each have their own versions of the UBW chant. Each version also comes in English and Japanese, and the meanings of the two language versions differ as well. So you could say there are four separate chants, two of which belong to each character. You can probably find them in the wikia.

The text in the beginning of the movie is Archer's version, and he speaks the English version. The Japanese stuff flashing on the screen in the later scene is Shirou, who doesn't speak much English at this point in his life.

I think "Are you not the heroic embodiment of Shirou's ideals?" it's wrong, and "Shouldn't you embody Shirou's ideal of Man turned Hero?" it's wrong too.
    Koto's translation is the literal one, whatever subtitles you might be reading are just going to be various arrangements of it. Unless they're wrong like that second one.
    Last edited by mewarmo990; October 24th, 2012 at 06:28 PM.

Blog Entries
    The Sentai subs for that movie had some hilarious bits. I believe they replaced "Do you have enough swords in stock?" with "I'm fully armed!", for example. I guess it gets across the same rough meaning, but...eh. (not that I'm qualified to judge translations though)

So as i pray... Unlimited Bug Works! Kariya's Avatar
    I see. Thank you very much, people.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Irothtin View Post
    The Sentai subs for that movie had some hilarious bits. I believe they replaced "Do you have enough swords in stock?" with "I'm fully armed!", for example. I guess it gets across the same rough meaning, but...eh. (not that I'm qualified to judge translations though)
    Whoever made that change should be punched repeatedly in their boy or girl parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Whoever made that change should be punched repeatedly in their boy or girl parts
    Pretty sure they also replaced "your ability to conceptualize the basic framework is weak" to "you're still green in the bones" - which is funny because the dub still has the whole bit about the framework. It's kind of morbidly amusing.

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    "you're still green in the bones"
    *cringes*

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle DoomRavager's Avatar
    Didn't the UTW subs replace Archer and Shirou "competing in sword creation" with "competing by crossing swords" or somesuch?

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DoomRavager View Post
    Didn't the UTW subs replace Archer and Shirou "competing in sword creation" with "competing by crossing swords" or somesuch?
    Eww.

"I'm fully armed!"
    Someone shop this into the pre-jackhammer scene, please.
    <%canaki> can we move the toast down to be emergency pantsu and put the boiled egg in her mouth
    My stuff | GO stuff | YouTube | Twitter

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Quote Originally Posted by mewarmo990 View Post
    Welcome. First, there's already a sticky topic for these kinds of questions so ask them there in the future.

I always interpreted it as an implied "my body", because it's the Japanese version of the UBW chant you always hear in English. The line "I am the bone of my sword" is supposed to be analagous to "体は剣で出来ている". Even if they mean different things, the subject should still be the speaker.
    Subject switching from the speaker to some third person その? Nah, I don't think so. Unless there are actually two people in Archer's poem.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deaddrunk View Post
    Subject switching from the speaker to some third person その? Nah, I don't think so. Unless there are actually two people in Archer's poem.
    ...isn't that what I said?

I am the bone of my sword
    Steel is your body and fire is his blood
    She has created over a thousand blades ...

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Desu_Cake View Post
    I am the bone of my sword
    Steel is your body and fire is his blood
    She has created over a thousand blades ...
    There's a sexual joke in here somewhere.