Page 9783 of 10290 FirstFirst ... 87839283968397339773977897819782978397849785978897939833988310283 ... LastLast
Results 195,641 to 195,660 of 205789

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Okay first of all it's called THINGS KPOPALYPSE DISLIKES IN MUSIC, so that should make it clear enough that he writes his own opinions, and he's not here to educate anyone.
    I can respect that, but that isn't how the article is positioned. It makes objective statements without reservation in-text of them being opinions and summarizes them as fact.

He's a dude with extensive musical background, both academic and performing, so his vocabulary in expressing WHY he doesn't like the things he dislikes is much broader, but that doesn't change the fact that it's his opinion and if anyone is high-horsey about it it's definitely not him, that's why I like reading his stuff.
    Someone can have an extensive background and still be wrong, there're plenty of these in every field. Also, "Stravinsky’s dull modernist twaddle" is a pretty high-horsey and bizarre statement. Again, this article goes forward to the end of explaining why jazz is lesser as music, not as opinion. I can't speak for the history of KPop and jazz because that's not anything I've ever been curious about, and I trust the writer's understanding of that insofar as I lack knowledge to critically contradict it.

Idk why you expected an academic article on a dude's kpop blog where he writes about things he hates and enjoys freely but kpop in general is the sort of scene where you either learn to not take everything so butt seriously or you drown in standom with little chance of recovery so his audience is on the same wavelength as him.
    I don't take things deadly seriously, but I do enjoy reading things critically inside and out of my actual job. More importantly, regardless of enjoyment or non-seriousness or fun or anything, this article is misinformed and makes unsupported statements of fact. People download their opinions a lot on the internet, you can't get away with that. With this sort of thing it's easy for people to read an article like this and decide to share the view expressed in whatever they're reading/watching even if it's not substantively supported and is just a pseudo-factual opinion. That leads to people spreading ideas and opinions uncritically as though they're absolutely correct, without regard for further evidence. This is a problem in published writing too, for sure, but the internet exacerbates these things.

And where did he say it's a monolithic genre he mentions like at least five different subgenres??
    "By the 1960s, rock and pop music was moving into all sorts of new directions that actually made some degree of musical sense (plus a few that didn’t), meanwhile jazz was well and truly masturbating itself to death as it had mutated into “free jazz” where they didn’t even have proper chords and structure anymore" is a chiefly relevant example: contrasting rock/pop as evolving, becoming new things, with jazz which - allegedly, here - was not. This is another thing that can be noted as being factually incorrect by bringing into the argument Latin jazz and bossa nova.

I'm not writing this because I'm Serious and Upset on the internet, I'd probably be playing video games or something kinda dumb and inconsequential if I wasn't typing this. I don't get upset at things so much as I get sad at misinformation. Regardless of the title of the blog or article, in its language and structure this article positions itself as being factually authoritative. I've pointed out how it isn't, because being open-minded and critical of things you read is more valuable than just accepting them. If it's an opinion it's an opinion, there's nothing wrong with that. If you say, "I really think jazz got pretty stagnant and didn't go anywhere as a genre" then that's okay because you establish the perspective (yourself) and the proceeding relativism of the given statement.

I'm writing this because I'm a fucking academia nut nerd and also I like helping people better understand things and avoid misinformation.
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    academia nut nerd
    Naisu.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    While I personally agree with this, there was that whole "three chords and the truth" thing back in the 70's and early 80's, if I'm not mistaken.
    That's country music.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    AKA the South's second greatest sin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    That's country music.
    I was thinking of punk rock, but I guess country also fits that.

Blog Entries
    As much as I despise country music from the bottom of my Canadian soul,

and this is very painful to type, okay

I

can't call it objectively awful
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    I just want to throw my hat in for Jazz bois and god bless Five and Spinach for white knighting muh music

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    For my first food of the day how about these mashed potatoes that have been sitting in my car for 2 days

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Sure, if you don't mind spending 2 days on the toilet.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    As much as I despise country music from the bottom of my Canadian soul,

and this is very painful to type, okay

I

can't call it objectively awful
    I can call it incredibly bland however. The only thing that sets a good country song apart from a bad one is the singers talent, since it's has such a generic melody and the lyrics are often focused on losing either a girl, a truck, or a dog.

It's not all bad, but the gems are few and far between (and often Johnny Cash).
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    I can call it incredibly bland however. The only thing that sets a good country song apart from a bad one is the singers talent, since it's has such a generic melody and the lyrics are often focused on losing either a girl, a truck, or a dog.

I mean I don’t want to imply that you don’t seem to know much about country music, but

Blog Entries
    My favorite country song I know has the lyrics "God is great, beer is good"

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six
    Blog Entries
    Not a joke

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Even though I grew up here, I still find things that America (US) does weird; like inventing foods (& other things) & then claiming someone else invented them.
    Shouldn't you take pride in your stuff? I understand some of it was done to make it appear exotic & thus more exciting but still...

Also, traveling light is hard when you're prone to over-packing.

#OwO#

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I mean I don’t want to imply that you don’t seem to know much about country music, but
    No, it's fair, I don't. After running into so much of that stuff I just stopped trying.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post

No country songs about dog girls though, I see how it is

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    is this jazz, I don't know

but it's a pretty good trumpet boy meme

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hmm... its probably best that we don't do office party mixers here. We have enough dirty jokes that we could get in trouble for without mixing in drunkness & management.....

But perhaps it'd help morale....

#OwO#

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    yesterday the world fucking ended

i wanted to just get out and chill in the sun and then the worst thunderstorm in a while had to go right over my district when i met up with a friend of mine

why this
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute