Page 9867 of 10289 FirstFirst ... 886793679767981798579862986598669867986898699872987799179967 ... LastLast
Results 197,321 to 197,340 of 205775

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix with a Silent X View Post
    Snow is now professionally qualified to see to it that her erections last forever.
    She may want to see a doctor about that

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    im bad against gravity i basically laid down in the afternoon and barely got up cuz my ac cold collided with the weather
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    The reason I have asked you these things is that in this day of instagram tag aesthetics two people can no longer expect to be starting from the same playing field with concepts as, well, dodgy as brutalism is. The word definitions don't capture the problematic adequately. If by LeC's definition (which is not actually his definition LeC was many things but he wasn't stupid), everything with exposed concrete is brutalism, and you cram under one roof such a huge swath of contradictory architectural approaches you're basically defining nothing but material expression, one that has literally existed for hundreds of years and came into being literally with the advent of the modern architectural canon in the west.

The Smithsons draw attention to a concept of art brut - outsider art. Outsider art is something akin to naive art, for all extents and purposes the same thing. The brut here, you will note, is not used to denote something lacking in nuance, intelligence and emotional depth, but in a sense somewhat similar to the concept of the noble savage. It looks outside the canon, outside the academia and established norms, for answers to a very old but in the context of modern human living very new problem -life in a community.

Concrete is a fundamental building material. It is practically inescapable, and its characteristics are so convenient to humans one would almost think it was meant to be discovered and used in such a way by us. Exposed concrete was for the longest time a logical and natural answer to the challenges of large-scale building, and that's how the job works - if something is good for the job, it's good. You embrace it. At least until you know better.

What you'd call examples of brutalism in the UK have aged terribly, and they're the card people pull in most cases when aesthetics of exposed concrete are being discussed. Why is that? Two major interconnected reasons: the climate, and the hard fact that the people these buildings were built for simply couldn't afford the intense upkeep and stuff like extra insulation work that these buildings would require to look good in the longrun in shitty moist weather. Look at the examples in, say, India, or Brazil, or the Mediterranean regions of Europe, Africa and the Middle East. They aged much better. Look at Montreal's Habitat 67, a giant, it looks good because it's posh af and also a monument and is being painstakingly renovated and kept in mint condition. Context.

In short, we don't really like the term brutalism. It misguides more than it explains, it's unfair to many great works of architecture, it's too generalizing and imprecise. And in this job, imprecision...is death!
    I appreciate your input. Thank you for putting it eloquently and in a manner from which I could derive knowledge and understanding. I do disagree with your opinion that certain examples of what one would call "brutalist" architecture shouldn't be categorized. Perhaps it's just a poor term to use in general to describe the style, not that describing the practice of brutalism is inherently wrong. Otherwise, in my opinion everything requires a sufficient degree of categorization to define the distinct qualities from which it is discernible. Fundamental characteristics that represent the whole are less defining than the minor characteristics that separate a work of art from others of it's type, but it is the fundamental characteristics that represent the style, and the unique characteristics that represent the artist. Kind of like how Fantasy typically has wizards and elves and goblins. You can say "that's my book, lord of the rings, not fantasy" but it's a characteristic that works of fantasy share. From my perspective, that is what you're attempting to say. That's more of an issue with semantics as opposed to legitimate architectural critique. I am not a legitimate architectural critic. You know more about that than I do, but let's not continue this particular discussion any further.

The prince says that the world will be saved by beauty! And I maintain that the reason he has such playful ideas is that he is in love.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    im bad against gravity i basically laid down in the afternoon and barely got up cuz my ac cold collided with the weather
    You know how Shirou did a thing with a bar?
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    No I'm saying you think yourself as intellectually self-sufficient, which btw simply cannot be true, and your incredible lack of self-reflection is quite sad to behold.
    Intellect is not by-it's-self sufficient. When did I say that? I said I only really like talking to people about weird shit. You think I don't listen to rap and make crude, shitty jokes? Intellect is an important tool, if not the most important tool in bettering the world. I acknowledge that it isn't everything.
    Last edited by Mujaya; July 12th, 2018 at 05:52 PM.

The prince says that the world will be saved by beauty! And I maintain that the reason he has such playful ideas is that he is in love.

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i got it the first time but i must take a stand against bullying
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

well its been weird seeing y'all again but i should probably go now

To fully bring to your understanding the thetics of the ass of BRUTALISME I have prepared some instructional videos. Be sure to watch comprehensively and submit a written list of impressions next class!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Please, no erections in public, this is a mod order
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    My job this week has been been tagalong interpreting for a bunch of thicc girls from singapore and I know I’m supposed to be making myself invisible and just acting as a conduit for the language and all that dumb shit but I wanna hit on them so bad because I am so thirsty

Blog Entries
    Credit club condo
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    I believe this is my first time experiencing horny McJon

Blog Entries
    Please rename this thread the Architectural Posting Thread.

Mahou Shoujo Fushigi Tantei Obvious Sunara's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Aww.... I need another usb port on my ps4....

#OwO#

Erection Thread has my vote

Let's just call the thread ET and let everyone just decide what that means to them.
    Come visit Mobius Space where
    quite rarely
    translators gather
    and post Type-Moon stuff

Enormous Titties

Elusive Thoughts

xd

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by just Beamu View Post
    I believe this is my first time experiencing horny McJon
    That’s my secret Cap

I’m always horny