Page 9963 of 10290 FirstFirst ... 89639463986399139953995899619962996399649965996899731001310063 ... LastLast
Results 199,241 to 199,260 of 205787

Thread: Random Thoughts Thread

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I suppose this would be a bad time to mention ECT is one of the most effective treatments for certain long term conditions?

we don’t do it at my hospital, but we refer a few clients who could benifit.

it gets a bad wrap
    Have they figured out why it works yet or are we still at “beats me but can’t argue with results”

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    None of the bands posted or the e-sports teams I know of had a rule of "dudes only". They simply happened to be composed entirely of dudes.
    Quick question, if there was an intentional audition process for an all guy sports team, would they too be an experiment doomed to flounder or is “one gender” a euphemism

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Have they figured out why it works yet or are we still at “beats me but can’t argue with results”
    Thats a good question.

its more like “we know why it works and we know that it works pretty well...but we can’t tell if the reason it doesn’t last in some cases is because we don’t fully understand the long term effects...or because it works well enough that the people using it stop taking their meds or doing their follow up protocols and end up losing the benifit”

if if that makes sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    That stuff went the way of the dodo a long time ago. You can do chemical restraints, that’s the thorazine, but you can’t do any other kind.
    I suppose that's for the best, really. Would increased monitoring be any effective?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    I suppose that's for the best, really. Would increased monitoring be any effective?
    Not really. The camera feeds are pretty good and there is usually someone watching. But you would be surprised how damn long the thirty odd seconds between someone seeing the altercation and calling the code white can feel when someone is trying to throttle you unconscious
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Oh, I do know that, though thankfully not from personal experience.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gl❀w View Post
    Quick question, if there was an intentional audition process for an all guy sports team, would they too be an experiment doomed to flounder or is “one gender” a euphemism
    That would depend on whether the sport was mixed gender to begin with, for one. Off the top of my head the only one I can think of is horse-racing. As for E-sports, which is what this conversation has been all about, yes, pointless gender restrictions would still be a negative factor for the growth of any team, but the difference between "no dudes" and "no gals" is that one happens to be 90% of the talent pool and the other one 10, if that. It's like asking why trying to compete in a biking tournament without a saddle and trying to compete in a biking tournament without a bike aren't equally penalised.

Of course, this was a poor attempt at appealing to hypocrisy rather than an actual argument, but we're not in a real debate either.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    I'm sure they never had a sign on the wall saying "NO GRILLS ALOUD" but that's not the point. These things aren't literally spelled out anywhere, they're social and cultural constructions. It's a big part of the same reason why women only represent 5% of Fortune 500 CEOs; I'm pretty sure these companies don't have a hard and fast rule on paper that disallow women from holding top positions. It's never a case of "simply happened to be composed entirely of dudes" when it's that widespread.

If companies want to make an all-female or all-male group of whatever, and there's a niche for it and they put effort into it, no reason to think they're fundamentally doomed to fail. Same with this, just because they're all one (female) gender.
    The problem with this argument is that they aren't doomed to fail because they're females, they're doomed to fail because they've limited their recruitment pool to a tiny percentage of the whole. They're barely going to have enough members to keep a team going, let alone enough talent to seriously aim for a trophy (and just which e-sport will they be competing at, anyway?). Like I said, the whole thing smacks of publicity stunt. Which is fine and all, make idols and make money, but it actually hurts the chances for other female gamers to compete/form teams in the future, because this is what they're going to be compared to.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors AAM1232's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I mean if you want an example of what not to do there's League's Team Siren

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    [korean pop artists]
    thanks honey

Suddenly, Tenryuu.
    shit BL says

It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    ladies, he's single

Quote Originally Posted by Historia View Post
    CUTE!
    shit BL says

ladies, he's single

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    That would depend on whether the sport was mixed gender to begin with, for one. Off the top of my head the only one I can think of is horse-racing. As for E-sports, which is what this conversation has been all about, yes, pointless gender restrictions would still be a negative factor for the growth of any team, but the difference between "no dudes" and "no gals" is that one happens to be 90% of the talent pool and the other one 10, if that. It's like asking why trying to compete in a biking tournament without a saddle and trying to compete in a biking tournament without a bike aren't equally penalised.

Of course, this was a poor attempt at appealing to hypocrisy rather than an actual argument, but we're not in a real debate either.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with this argument is that they aren't doomed to fail because they're females, they're doomed to fail because they've limited their recruitment pool to a tiny percentage of the whole. They're barely going to have enough members to keep a team going, let alone enough talent to seriously aim for a trophy (and just which e-sport will they be competing at, anyway?). Like I said, the whole thing smacks of publicity stunt. Which is fine and all, make idols and make money, but it actually hurts the chances for other female gamers to compete/form teams in the future, because this is what they're going to be compared to.
    You don't know very much about how this works do you?

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    this conversation is bad but at least it made me remember a real one

https://liquipedia.net/starcraft/ToSsGirL

had to retire because of the half life on video game careers but this sentence still kind of owns

ToSsGirL won every female league that she had entered.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Don't look at me I can't even post cute girl news without being accosted by internet blowflies

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    tfw no 300 apm gf
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Last night a guy asked if I could help him find books in a genre I don’t read, similar to a book he read a year ago, whose title he couldn’t remember, by an author whose name he couldn’t recall, with a writing style he thought was just perfect but that he couldn’t describe.

Being the hired miracle worker I am, I found the book, the author, and the rest of the books in the series for him.

- - - Updated - - -

This Christmas, please make sure to show a little extra love to your local bookstore employees

Do you give book recs?

Sure but my reading is kind of all over the place so it’s difficult

Mine too, that's why I don't end up reading most recs I get because my mind works stupidly and I never end up liking things I should by all accounts be into