Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 28333637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Kingdom Hearts

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    :thinking:

Blog Entries
    The original characters were always the driving force of the plot ever since the first one. The villain was Ansem, the protagonist was Sora, the only preexisting Disney characters that contribute much to the plot outside of their own worlds in the first game were Mickey and Maleficent. And kind of Donald and Goofy by virtue of following Sora

US Friend Code
    194,434,580 - IGN Ritsuka
    Blog Entries
    OverMaster, I'm now really confused. Do you know what a self insert is? Because I've never gotten the impression of KH being fanfiction or a self-insert. It's convoluted as hell and if they had any idea of where they wanted the story to go in the first place, they completely lost track of it years ago.

You've described W.S. Anderson's upcoming Monster Hunter movie to a T, OverMaster. Not Kingdom Hearts though. Your analysis of the flaws makes you sound like you can't actually understand it at all. Not that it's much better if you can, but I still like the characters enough to want to see them get their happy ending.
    Likes attention, shiny objects, and... a ball of yarn?
    F/GO Supports

I joined two years too late...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hymn of Ragnarok View Post
    That makes me think of Rin as a loan shark.
    Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound like yuri at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Techlet View Post
    Not with that attitude.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So Nomura confirmed in an interview that the Toy Story world is actually set some time after TY2. This is evidenced by KH Woody having the stiches on his right arm after it got torn off in the second movie.

Also, Japan is getting it's own D23 event early next year. Hopefully we'll get the full release date then.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Blog Entries
    That overmaster post was really dumb.

Really fucking dumb even

We Want to Protect that Head OverMaster's Avatar
    Oh, for fuck's sake. You know, whatever. I'm sorry I cared enough as to give you my honest and heartfelt opinion then. Don't worry, I'm done here, won't be bothering you anymore with my rampaging idiocy.
    Last edited by OverMaster; July 20th, 2017 at 10:18 AM.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    OverMaster, your complaint didn't actually make sense! What you apparently hate about the games is not actually something that exists within it. You just… kind of ranted about stuff that was not…anything. Sora is not a self-insert. That is complete nonsense.
    I'd say you were being oversensitive, but I am neither one to talk, nor are you overreacting. You came in here fired up, then I refuted you, and Zenieth insulted you, so you haven't really escalated all that much, and while you have the right to be mad at Zenieth and at least annoyed by me (I wouldnt hav killed me to be more polite, I know), the fact remains, your post makes you sound like you don't actually know what you're talking about.

Nomura is not a self-insert fanfiction author. In fact, he makes really freaking good characters. Your blood-spittingly furious sounding accusation isn't just incoherent, it's just plain wrong. The story isn't KH's strong point, but it's not something to be nearly as pissed off as you are about it. If you feel he's desecrated your favorite Disney movies by adding Sora to them and watering the story down to a wireframe, then fine, it's something, but it's not a self insert. Sora is fun. Riku is spectacular. In Riku's case, any argument suggesting he's not the best would actually just be grammatically incorrect.

It's also not in love with its own stupidity, that's a load of crap. If you're referring to the constant waxing philosophical about light and darkness and the power of the heart, then that's not being in love with its own stupidity. It's literally the theme of the entire series. There is a lot of convoluted kerfuffling in the story, but that is actually one of the many charming things about it, much like the recurring theme of the power of friendship overcoming all obstacles, which was actually something that made Birth By Sleep's story more than passable in my opinion
    Spoilers for Birth By Sleep (if anyone even cares)
    because in that instance, the bonds between the three friends are ripped apart by Xehanort and in the end, what they have can't save the day, and they all lose.

If that's not what you meant, I need to understand how you think it's 'in love with its own stupidity,' because unless I can understand what have you that strange opinion, I can only see it as being ridiculous.
    Last edited by Draconic; July 20th, 2017 at 12:05 PM.
    F/GO Supports

Admittedly, she'd probably be the hottest loan shark you'll ever meet. She'd probably make you smile as she sucked you dry.

Not with that attitude.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draconic View Post
    OverMaster, your complaint didn't actually make sense! What you apparently hate about the games is not actually something that exists within it. You just… kind of ranted about stuff that was not…anything. Sora is not a self-insert. That is complete nonsense.
    It's kind of not though. I mean he's an original character showing up in another story to help the previous main character solve the problems going on because they're apparently no longer competent. Also he has way to many belt buckles and an evil side who angst's about existence and has an X in his name because its cool.

That's pretty much any fanfic OC, right there.

I can see where he's coming from.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattias View Post
    That's pretty much any fanfic OC, right there.
    Ehhhh nah.

that would be projecting onto or wearing the skin of someone else by name
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Actually, Mattias is half-right. Sora could easily be seen as a fanficish OC, to be sure. He's just leagues away from being a self-insert by the fourteen-year-old dingus OverMaster made Nomura out to be.
    Last edited by Draconic; July 20th, 2017 at 10:49 PM.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Two Things:
    One.

And two
    "All characters are self-insert characters. They are you a little to the left, or a particular piece of you dialed up to 11, or the you that you would have been if the path of your life had angled just slightly differently, or you if you never learned this one important thing. Every character is part of you, but more than that every character starts with a piece of you, big or small, it’s you in one way or another at the beginning. There’s nothing wrong with that. In fact it’s essential. That seed of you, that lives in them, it’s what gives them life, breath and blood and bone. And then you tend it, growing it, shaping them along paths you could never have walked nor imagined for yourself. Until they become someone else entirely. A wholly fictional character. But also you, a little bit, somewhere in there in the heart of themselves.

Every character is a self-insert character. It’s only a matter of degrees how much of yourself there is in them when you finally put them out into the world. Stop worrying so much about self-inserts. Worry more about putting that little you into a story that will shape them into a big, beautiful character."

Blog Entries
    That last statement is some flowery prose crock of shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit sounds like "There are no losers, just people who win less"

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kentrix0 View Post
    "All characters are self-insert characters. They are you a little to the left, or a particular piece of you dialed up to 11, or the you that you would have been if the path of your life had angled just slightly differently, or you if you never learned this one important thing. Every character is part of you, but more than that every character starts with a piece of you, big or small, it’s you in one way or another at the beginning. There’s nothing wrong with that. In fact it’s essential. That seed of you, that lives in them, it’s what gives them life, breath and blood and bone. And then you tend it, growing it, shaping them along paths you could never have walked nor imagined for yourself. Until they become someone else entirely. A wholly fictional character. But also you, a little bit, somewhere in there in the heart of themselves.

Every character is a self-insert character. It’s only a matter of degrees how much of yourself there is in them when you finally put them out into the world. Stop worrying so much about self-inserts. Worry more about putting that little you into a story that will shape them into a big, beautiful character."
    Are you quoting yourself?
    If so, you clearly don't grasp the concept of a self-insert.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Are you quoting yourself?
    If so, you clearly don't grasp the concept of a self-insert.
    I'm quoting someone else, but I don't think you are seeing the point I'm trying to make here, let me elaborate a little more.
    I'm not saying that is a definition of a self-insert, a self insert is either, an avatar for the person that is writting the story, or a in which the reader can insert themselves into, this is more about making a character more of a person by giving them a part of yourself one can relate too, IN THAT SENSE every character can be kind of a self-insert (even though they really aren't).

The problem I address here is that people tend to confuse what a self-insert really is, just because a writer gives a character some of their own characteristics, or because the character has a dull or not so flashy personality, that doesn't make the character a self-insert.
    Kind of like people saying that Rohan was Araki's self-insert in Jojo.

https://youtu.be/W3KYx1WDqBw Raylen Cypher's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Ask in PM.
    Blog Entries
    IN THAT SENSE
    Sure, if you like to play semantics.
    Quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Prix of Heroes
    A world where tragedy is the only measure by which a narrative holds value is not one I am going to live in even where the circumstances in a particular work are tragic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow
    If an adult themed work can have graphic slaughter and the like, it can have sex. Just do it competently if you want to go explicit.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    How dare you she's a married woman
    Quote Originally Posted by savepoints View Post
    No but why ask him to pull out right before the end tbh
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    God is dead and I'm gonna kiss all his cute girl saints
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    MAMA BURST
    A Writer's Fate
    F/GO JP (Updated: 4/11/2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Raylen Cypher View Post
    Sure, if you like to play semantics.
    "IN THAT SENSE every character can be kind of a self-insert (even though they really aren't)."
    I'm saying there are common points in there though, not that they are the same thing.
    I'm not trying to change the meaning of the word here.....

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yes, we know. You're just defining it incorrectly in the first place.
    F/GO Supports

Not with that attitude.

Yes, we know. You're just defining it incorrectly in the first place.
    mmmh, really?
    My bad then, sorry!

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So since KH3 will apparently have less worlds than KH2, I counted and 2 had either 12 or 15 worlds depending on whether you count the "worlds within worlds" as separate (100 Acre Woods, Space Paranoids and Timeless River).

So we already have 5 worlds confirmed for KH3 - Olympus Coliseum, Twilight Town, San Fransokyo, Tangled World and Toy Story. So we still have room for a few more and I was curious what kinda worlds you guys would want to see?

Personally, I'd want to see Kauai (Lilo & Stitch) as well as New Orleans/The Bayou (Princess and the Frog)... Mostly just because of the music in those two films.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'd love Princess and the Frog, but it's a Japanese game and most of that movie is full of black people. And...

Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.