Page 1 of 150 12361151101 ... LastLast

Thread: From Fake Dreams (Discussion Thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

From Fake Dreams (Discussion Thread)

So since the old Fanfic Recommendations thread got nuked and redone, and a lot of FFD discussion seemed to happen there, I figured the story on its own was popular enough to warrant its own thread for discussion/debate/what have you. Feel free to post compliments, critique, complaints, speculation, so on and so forth, just remember to be polite about it please.

(And before others ask, yes, the author did give his blessing for a thread like this back in the old Recs thread; it was just awhile ago and for some reason or another I never got around to it. My bad.)

FF.net link.

Discuss.

黒いスサノヲ, Black Susano'oh IhaxlikeNoob's Avatar
    I highly suspect this thread will be the site of a lot of controversy real soon...

- - - Updated - - -

On a more serious note, right now there's really nothing to discuss, last chapter was already talked about.
    Unless someone wants to bring up an old topic or something.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

It's a good story but needs proofreading and the last chapter had probably the best Sakura fight I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by Chojomeka View Post
    It's a good story but needs proofreading and the last chapter had probably the best Sakura fight I've ever read.
    Seconded on both points. TF's beta needs to do a better job. :V
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors BlackField's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That Sakura fight was amazing, probably the best fight thirdfang has done. And its alway great to see a competent Sakura.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
    That Sakura fight was amazing, probably the best fight thirdfang has done. And its alway great to see a competent Sakura.

It was interesting, although a tad OOC, since Sakura said in-game she doesn't really care for the "stealing away from others" part of the Matou magic, so to make her a sword licking sadist is a kinda out there, but interpretations, we all got 'em. Our little Edelfelt noble there must've been raised by Kayneth, I could practically see him in her reading this.Despite the massive amount of liberties, it was a good fight. Even had an idea I had thought of awhile ago, using reinforcement with that 'shadow glove' ala the bridal gauntlet she invented in Hollow for good ol' melee.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Quote Originally Posted by Altima of the Gates View Post
    It was interesting, although a tad OOC, since Sakura said in-game she doesn't really care for the "stealing away from others" part of the Matou magic, so to make her a sword licking sadist is a kinda out there, but interpretations, we all got 'em. Our little Edwlfwlt noble there must've been raised by Kayneth, I could practically see him in her reading this.Despite the massive amount of liberties, it was a good fight. Even had an idea I had thought of awhile ago, using reinforcement with that 'shadow glove' ala the bridal gauntlet she invented in Hollow for good ol' melee.
    Sakura in FFD goes down a different character developement route, noticed how she dropped 'Sempai' and replaced it with 'Shirou-kun'? She's getting more assertive traits by osmosis from Rin, Shirou is leaving cracks in her pysche, and she's been getting more creepier in recent chapters; the most recent one just shows her growing yandere behaviour.

- - - Updated - - -

^ True, but they somehow managed to work it out in the long-term.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IhaxlikeNoob View Post
    Sakura in FFD goes down a different character developement route, noticed how she dropped 'Sempai' and replaced it with 'Shirou-kun'? She's getting more assertive traits by osmosis from Rin, Shirou is leaving cracks in her pysche, and she's been getting more creepier in recent chapters; the most recent one just shows her growing yandere behaviour.

Yandere eh? That is somewhat disappointing, if that us the route the author is heading, because it us running counteractive to him wanting to write a not-insane Sakura, only to make a faux Blood Knight. And it isn't like Rin or Shirou wrote the book on being assertive. I hadn't read this in a bit, bit I'll need to read it over to hey back in the swing.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Hmm, if there's one thing I find annoying about FFD is the fact that thirdfang went with the Canon servants....so much potential lost.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    Hmm, if there's one thing I find annoying about FFD is the fact that thirdfang went with the Canon servants....so much potential lost.
    With everything else he changed, I'm kind of glad he did, just for the sake of some continuity.

Blog Entries
    Well, the point of the story is for shirou to fight and win against gil, so the fewer complications there are the better. And the best way to do that is to ensure that none of the servants get replaced by someone not mentioned in kiritsugu's notes. still, assassin could turn out to be someone else.

I think that the story need more conflict though. Shirou needs more difficult obstacles preventing him from reaching his goal.
    Last edited by Zer0light; November 26th, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

"Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest."

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six mangafreak7793's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    ....I have some complaints on this series, but none too bad.

Kind of think in a way Shirou became way too strong during the long training program and something about the last two or three chapters that just seemed off, Kind of get to me.

Teasing the Penguin God!

Quote Originally Posted by mangafreak7793 View Post
    ....I have some complaints on this series, but none too bad.

Kind of think in a way Shirou became way too strong during the long training program and something about the last two or three chapters that just seemed off, Kind of get to me.
    I think FFD!Shirou appearing overpowered is more a result of Third Fang's writing style rather than his abilities. If you go step by step and look at how the protagonist from any series develops their abilities/powers/skills, it will almost always seem a little ridiculous. However, the reason that it end up like that is a one trick pony does not a good story make.

That being said, he does seem to have been pushing the proto-EMIYA paradigm a bit hard over the course of the fic. It would have been interesting to see some truly unique development, but it really doesn't make or break the story.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaginary View Post
    I think FFD!Shirou appearing overpowered is more a result of Third Fang's writing style rather than his abilities. If you go step by step and look at how the protagonist from any series develops their abilities/powers/skills, it will almost always seem a little ridiculous. However, the reason that it end up like that is a one trick pony does not a good story make.

That being said, he does seem to have been pushing the proto-EMIYA paradigm a bit hard over the course of the fic. It would have been interesting to see some truly unique development, but it really doesn't make or break the story.
    True enough but the swords also piss me off a bit....

Teasing the Penguin God!

Quote Originally Posted by mangafreak7793 View Post
    True enough but the swords also piss me off a bit....
    His three custom swords?
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IhaxlikeNoob View Post
    His three custom swords?
    Yup those..., Seems I don't know the word clique?

I mean he named them off of three others and seems, hard to imagine using Kiritsugu's bones to make something like this considering the damage done to his body.

Teasing the Penguin God!

I need my anchor to canon yo, i'm glad he performed In spite of nail​ even with the changes.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    TF needs better beta, less walls of text and better presented infodumps but the Sakura fight was perfectly a'ight with me.

^
    SWORD SURFING UNLIMITED COWABUNGA WORKS shall forever be absolutely fucking ridiculous
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Damage to the body? Kiritsugu before his death both in canon and in the fic is structurally sound, aside from his organ failure.
    Plus only the bones were used.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    My two biggest peeve's in this fic is the harem bent that's been taken in the past few chapters, and some of the concept removal tricks that have been done. Mostly the permanent projection, and sword surfing. It's not enough to turn me from the fic (yet), but each time I see them I lose a little of my SoD.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.