Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Room of the April Witch

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Bargadiel's Avatar
    I spent a couple hours doing a proper typeset for this using the translation from /fate/, as well as doing some editing with wording here and there. I'm about to post it on wakachan now. If there are any changes you guys want made just tell me and I'll fix it up, either way enjoy~

EDIT: By the way they probably look better on Photobucket, I think the forum downscales their resolution a little, so they may appear blurry.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

All of them are zipped up here:
    ****************************?qc7qn4gu4hhhpqh
    Last edited by Bargadiel; April 1st, 2011 at 08:28 PM.

Great work! Would you mind zipping them up together and putting it somewhere?

I've been brewing up a post analyzing the story through a particular angle today, and it'd be cool to have something to link to for the full text other than /fate/.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Counterguardian's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This is without a doubt the most moving April Fools I've ever seen in my life.

Thanks alot! Sure thing. Although I've never had to uploaded a zip file anywhere before, so where do you think I should put it?

The biggest thing -- try getting rid of the shadow. Makes it a lot harder to read IMO.

Pages 3, 4, 5 are missing most opening quotation marks. 6 is missing one, before "Lots!"

The witch; April, died. (first and last pages) That semicolon should be a comma.

For April will grant true all such lies. (page 1) "Grant true" doesn't sound right. Try "grant", "make true", etc.

"layed" (page 3) should be "laid".

And just a small nitpick, but I'm pretty sure "April said to the man;" (page 3) shouldn't have a semicolon. Try a comma or colon.

That's all I see right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bargadiel View Post
    Thanks alot! Sure thing. Although I've never had to uploaded a zip file anywhere before, so where do you think I should put it?
    I usually use Mediafire.

Well, if you have a site, that'd be best. If not, stuff like mediafire, megaupload, or rapidshare work.

Dropbox is also an option, though I'm not very familiar with it.

Alright, updating the photobucket links now. Thanks for the error reports! I fixed everything except the dropshadow, which I will stubbornly leave in to match the way it looked in the JP version. I myself have no problems reading it.

EDIT: Uploaded to mediafire, link is in above post.
    Last edited by Bargadiel; April 1st, 2011 at 03:34 AM.

Something about the font's just not doing it for me. The Japanese font just looks... cleaner, IMO.

Looking again, I don't think it's the shadow so much as combining shadow + italics.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyarion View Post
    Something about the font's just not doing it for me. The Japanese font just looks... cleaner, IMO.

Looking again, I don't think it's the shadow so much as combining shadow + italics.
    Eh I still don't see a problem with it, I've asked a couple people for their opinions on it. I could lower the opacity on the shadow some more but I wouldn't be able to get around to it tonight, as it's already almost 4AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Counterguardian View Post
    This is without a doubt the most moving April Fools I've ever seen in my life.
    Listen to this while you read it, I did. It makes it 10x better.

Last edited by Bargadiel; April 1st, 2011 at 03:56 AM.

Blog Entries
    Would it be a bit much to ask for a HQ PDF of this by the way?

I would rather like it if I could carry this around in my pocket to read at a whim.

Listen to this while you read it, I did. It makes it 10x better.
    Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Counterguardian View Post
    Would it be a bit much to ask for a HQ PDF of this?

I would rather like it if I could carry this around in my pocket to read at a whim.
    I know nothing of making something like that, but tomorrow I'll give it a shot and post it here if science was done properly.

@Bargdiel: Alright, thanks!

Also, do you have a webpage/twitter/anything I should link to when I credit you?

Weird formality, I know, but just one of those things.

Alright, now that I'm looking at the full-size pages it's a lot easier to see what the problem is.

The original shadow isn't so much a dropshadow as it is a simple shadow that surrounds each letter evenly, or in other words is cast directly beneath the letters. The current dropshadow is just kind of casting a smudge above every line.

It's definitely not something that needs to be fixed, as you said, but I think it would definitely make a difference. Either way, thanks for the work you've put in here.
    Last edited by Hyarion; April 1st, 2011 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    @Bargdiel: Alright, thanks!

Also, do you have a webpage/twitter/anything I should link to when I credit you?

Weird formality, I know, but just one of those things.
    All I have that would be relevant to this is my facebook and my page here, heh. I doubt anyone would want to go to my FB though. Although I didn't translate it, I only transcribed it to paper to mimick the original; I'd hate to take credit for that but you can feel free to give both some anonymous guy from wakachan and I credit if you like. I really don't know why I did it to be honest, I just felt compelled to; before I even READ it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyarion View Post
    Alright, now that I'm looking at the full-size pages it's a lot easier to see what the problem is.

The original shadow isn't so much a dropshadow as it is a simple shadow that surrounds each letter evenly. The current dropshadow is just kind of casting a smudge above every line.

It's definitely not something that needs to be fixed, as you said, but I think it would definitely make a difference. Either way, thanks for the work you've put in here.
    I see, thanks again for the info. If I get the chance I'll dive back in and fix it up. When I took a look at the JP version I just noticed the shadow on the top/rightof each character, but then again it is late and I could be going insane, moreso than I already am. :P

By the way there's something that's bugging me, on page 1 "Ahh I dont want to die, I am a witch" something's not right about that. You guys think that's the right translation?
    Last edited by Bargadiel; April 1st, 2011 at 04:18 AM.

"Ahh I dont want to die, I am a witch" something's not right about that. You guys think that's the right translation?
    It is the right translation.
    Another mystery about this short story.
    It's much deeper than it first looks and it's mind boggling.

Blog Entries
    There are no mistakes with Type-MOON, only a grand design.

D'aww... This was a kind of bittersweet story.

And for some reason I chuckled a little at the mention of "Vampire Princess, May."

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Ahh I dont want to die, I am a witch" something's not right about that. You guys think that's the right translation?
    Not many other ways you can read that line, lol. I think what was going on is that they were accusing her of being a witch and torturing a confession out of her (when she wasn't one, so it was a lie that pissed God off?)

Quote Originally Posted by nullvoid View Post
    And for some reason I chuckled a little at the mention of "Vampire Princess, May."
    For some reason the first thing that came to my mind was "A vampire named May? SACCHIN?"

Also, how about the afterword?

ETA: Looks like someone else translated the story too, lol. (I think this is a little better than the anon on /fate/'s translation... though you probably don't want to hear that, Barg :P)
    http://bimyou.blogspot.com/2011/04/r...type-moon.html
    Last edited by Kotonoha; April 1st, 2011 at 06:41 AM.

Hurrah!
    Kind of wish I had not read the earlier posts, never expected it to be translated.
    Thanks for posting Bargadiel.

Thanks all! I enjoy taking on projects like this.

It is the right translation.
    Another mystery about this short story.
    It's much deeper than it first looks and it's mind boggling.
    I see, I just thought it sounded strange, It always says over and over again that she IS a witch, so it would make more sense for someone being killed for it to lie; saying they aren't one.

EDIT: I also found the line "gouged out her arms" kind of strange heh
    Last edited by Bargadiel; April 1st, 2011 at 12:41 PM.