Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate RPG design

Blog Entries
    You know, it just occurred to me that you aren't accounting for MP being HP for Servants. They aren't actually separate bars.

Unless I missed it in there somewhere.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    hm i mentioned that in my post already tho. HP and MP are both Prana (PP?) and every action costs a certain amount. would work perfectly well in a PC RPG. in a pen and paper, that woudl admittedly get pretty messy after a while.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I demand that the Tora Shinai be included as a lethal joke weapon. It starts out as crap, but if you defeat enough enemies with it, it becomes the best weapon in the game, better than Ea or Excalibur.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    hm i mentioned that in my post already tho. HP and MP are both Prana (PP?) and every action costs a certain amount
    That Madoka doujin game did something similar

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ah yeha but that was real-time; what i have in mind is round-based. you have three commands per round (for example, you have young Kirei, you use "strenghtneing" which will cost one command and one command seal (yiung Kirei has 20 of them, regardless of level), you use your secodn command to use "pin shadow" with the black keys, and use the third command for an attack with Bajiquan.). special skills like Healing or NP's will cost more than one command; excalibur costst 3 commands for example, so you cant do anything else right after it.
    ...is what i had in mind, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by LunarLegend View Post
    Make a PnP-style RPG with all the number-crunching? Look, if I wanna play GURPS, I do pa off my income taxes.

Just because you can mathematically model all of this stuff does not mean it can become a playable RPG.

If you must, make a computer game of it. Factor in all the variables like circuit count, circuit quantity, phantasm rank, etc.

Make a street-fighter style brawler like a balanced version of unlimted codes, if ye must.

but no PnP. use Dresden Files RPG if ye must
    Well every tabletop game can be extrapolated to an incredibly complex mathematical model, it's just that most of the time no one would even bother to try such a thing due to difficulty. Fate is easier because everything is heavily streamlined. Combat is based on 4 parameters with additional modifiers and contests between Noble Phantasms usually turn into a beam spam competition. D&D has numerous different weapon classes, modifiers, crits etc. With Fate everything is much easier to work out so demonstrating everything mathematically is possible.

The primary reason I'm using maths in this is because it's the best way to determine whether an RPG is even possible. If Nasu is just throwing numbers around then I wouldn't even be here. But if the numbers actually do something then it's possible to turn the whole thing into a proper RPG. Emphasis on possible, actually pulling this off is a theoretical exercise at this point. The numbers I'm showing in previous posts are the mathematical results, but in reality most of the time you're rolling for results.

That said, it is necessary to simplify things a great deal. Some numbers are utterly ridiculous, such as Mana being 312.5 per rank, and the way I'm working out damage results in decimal places. In all likelihood, Mana will be turned into 300 per rank and damage and prana will be consumed in units of 10, not miniscule amounts that are impossible to keep track of unless you use spreadsheets. The same goes for other various difficulties such as Magic circuits, parameters, spells etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Break View Post
    actually i meant it like "if i have some free time and you figure otu the system some more (though by simply using a rather normal round-based RPG system where we substitute both classical HP and MP for Prana, and have it be both the life-gauge and the gauge every move is cast off- this could be fairly easy for just that aspect of the fights at least), i would go and basically try making a kind of arena-thingy for the fights with the RPGmaker. (though im no expert at it, but this much i should be able to pull off xD) luckily, most resources for effects are shared between makers, so i'd just have to adjust them a little in color and small details, and try getting or making some good-looking charsets for the characters themselves, and the res should be a piece of cake.
    My bad, I misinterpreted your words. I look forward to seeing the final product, which is entirely dependent on my own speed of course. Don't hold your breath.

I know I said I'd post something every week about the application of the mechanics to the actual events but unfortunately I'm a bit busy. Sorry about that. I don't know if I'll have time next week either, family dinner or something. I'll try my best though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ah its okay, ill just come up with stuff myself in the meantime

No time this week so I'll keep it simple. Today we're focusing on Lancelot, Arondight and theoretical parameter levels.

Lancelot has A rank stats across the board or 50 for STR and END and 100 for AGI. So when he puts on Arondight it raises them to a theoretical level, 60 for STR and END and 120 for AGI. Normally you can't reach this level; C+ does give 60 but if the rank goes down, C+ becomes D+ while Lancelot just turns back into A. I'll probably keep this aspect because it keeps things pretty balanced such that anyone who is incredibly strong can always be brought back down in a reasonable manner.

Effects of this on battle? Lancelot deals about 940 damage to Saber in a single round of combat while Saber is defending the best she can. This means he smashes apart her armor and reduces her down to about 40 hp left.

Lancelot's dangerous.

So its been many months and the whole thing has advanced quite far in progress.

I've also gotten cold feet.

Would someone be willing to translate a message or two into Japanese so I can ask Nasu about his thoughts on this undertaking? I get the feeling I'm a little too accurate for comfort with my ramblings and I want to ask for 'permission' as it were.

Blog Entries
    You can't get into contact with Nasu anyway even in Japanese. It's not like anybody here knows his personal email.

Blog Entries
    I'd feel kinda sorry for him if we did, imagine all the silly questions we'd ask him about.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    A homebrew RP is not that different from a fanfic with its postulations about Nasu's world, so you have nothing to worry about.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    The impossible has become reality. He stands before you on this day, in all his fungal glory, looking at you with a slight smirk, from what you can tell on the yellow mushroom leg. Cold sweat forms on your forehead. You weren't prepared. Not like this. You had so many questions ready for the next Q&A, but they are all stuck on Beast's Lair now. Thoughts race your mind, trying to recall at least a single meaningful Type Moon Question. Oh, that one got answered in the Questions thread, that one is for Gen... You stand there, furrowing your brow. The deluge of social awkardness floods your senses, and you can almost taste ground meat and mozzarella. In your mind, it all connects into a single question you now realize hasn't been properly answered for all this time. Could this work, you ask yourself? Is it now or never?
    With your teeth rattling like leaves in storm, you finally bring yourself to ask. "C-can Shiki kill servants?"
    Last edited by Ratman; December 10th, 2013 at 03:04 PM.

Blog Entries
    "What we hoped to achieve was to meet our makers. To get answers. Why they even made us in the first place."

"Why do you think your people made me?"

"We made you because we could."

"Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?"
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeopardBear View Post
    "What we hoped to achieve was to meet our makers. To get answers. Why they even made us in the first place."

"Why do you think your people made me?"

"We made you because we could."

"Can you imagine how disappointing it would be for you to hear the same thing from your creator?"
    is that bsg
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    is that bsg
    Prometheus

e: it's a quote from a movie I like
    Last edited by SeiKeo; December 11th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    i knew that was familiar

also felt like it was something bad

feels good to be right
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Think I'm bluffing huh?

...Well shit just how do I prove I'm not? There's so much dissenting opinion on the events of F/SN that it gets complicated.

Erm....OK, Excalibur and Mystic Eyes of Petrification are closely related to each other and...has anyone discussed the possibility that Rider lost on purpose during her first fight with Saber in Heaven's Feel?

Man that sounds weak. I really should provide more concrete evidence but this isn't the time and place. I'll try to collect my thoughts tomorrow and get something more substantial down.

@Mcjon01

Type Moon has a Twitter account right? I could just ask via there but throw in something that only Nasu would realistically know about (since no one else is close to my level of insanity) and pull a response out that way.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katyn View Post
    no one else is close to my level of insanity
    now that's something i can agree with
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Well, I was thinking if Nasuverse could be rendered through WoD mechanics.