Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fate RPG design

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    WoD isn't really ideal. Main problem is that you have vampires and mages alrady made, but they are different to the point where you change so much that you would be better off just making everything up from scratch . Good thing is that you can refluff werevolves as spirits.

Your best bets are either something so simple it might as well be freeform, like d6 systems, and point buy systems that use special efforts or fate points, or any speshul snoflake mechanic that lets people shine.
    You could propably use even d20 modern if you built the whole thing from ground up. From what I've seen though:
    Mutants and Masterminds are sufficiently diverse. Maybe too much, you may have to ban stuff, then again you have to ban stuff in M&M all the time. But no matter what, it will get wonky on high/servant powerlevels. Maybe that's what will make it just like Nasu though.
    FATE works great with Holy Grail Wars but not much else. Exalted is also great for high powered games where you've got stuff like servants, and you don't even have to houserule too much, but it also suffers on weak characters.
    Dark Heresy edit like Adeptus Evangelion would help you create most of what you want but the system is complicated and broken at math. Then again, it was never meant to be balanced anyway, so go for that if your friends don't mind being strong or weak and can play DH well enough already.
    Finally, you can heavily houserule Riddle of Steel and bring it into modern age. Great for a campaign at low power, with mage apprentices with tiny crests helping knights and psychics doing groundwork. Paradoxiclly, RoS has possibly the best system you can wish for to represent thug lyfe magecraft.
    Last edited by Ratman; December 12th, 2013 at 12:30 AM.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking of using FATE for a Grail War type thing. But who knows how good it is with PvP stuff.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

It's all fun and games until someone loses a Saber. Then shit gets personal.

"Believe in your heart, reaching to the shining sun, now for the sake of grasping victory!"
    Necowain the II
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhance View Post

Evidence...

I don't know, what the heck would be considered reasonable evidence?

All Noble Phantasms based on increasing attack speed are based on multiples of 3, Rho Aias is in all likelihood a B++ Noble Phantasm because MATH and Protection from arrows is rank B which factors into the total cost of Rho Aias, there's the various nonsense I talked about earlier in this thread.

What would it take to convince someone that Nasu actually has something going as well as to help me out here?

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Convince us of what? That it's accurate?

I was just saying that you don't need to worry about Nasu shutting you down.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    @Ratman

If I do anything concerning WoD and Fate, I'll simply pick whichever mechanics I find suitable rather than copy and paste.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by katyn View Post
    @Mcjon01

Type Moon has a Twitter account right? I could just ask via there but throw in something that only Nasu would realistically know about (since no one else is close to my level of insanity) and pull a response out that way.
    They don't actually answer questions over it. It's mostly just a news feed run by some intern.

Blog Entries
    I learned that by right combination of Thaumaturgy and Assamite Sorcery I can reenact Unlimited Blade Works.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Discipline/gift/sphere/whatever

Sword

• Structural analysis
    •• Reinforcement
    ••• Blade body
    •••• Projection
    ••••• Unlimited Blade Works
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Would he piss off Paradox if he summoned magic swords of legend?

Blog Entries
    That could become one of those endless arguments...
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Bring it on, this thread must be alive.

Blog Entries
    Well, to start with, it depends on which game we are playing. Is it Magus: the Rooting? Dead Apostle: the Scheming? Demon: the Inverting?
    don't quote me on this

Blog Entries
    Eroge MC: The Boning.

Blog Entries
    It's kind of funny because a lot of the pre-made Boons from the homebrew system they cooked up for Red Dragon kind of seem like they were lifted from FSN.

Nasu: Boons… ah, you mean like the Dark Dragon Knights' ability to triple their attribute scores. (While looking at the Boons page) Wow, these are something else. Let’s see… can't be damaged by anything but a Magic Weapon, plus double stamina… the ability to wish for a Magic Weapon and have it appear… they’re all boss-class abilities! (Laughs)
    It's like, way to just steal God Hand and UBW, designer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    @All
    Which is best suitable system? if we will select a base of current TRPG system/rules. Traveller, D&D/AD&D, Runequest (BR), 007 James Bond or any other system?
    Miss Jarman said viciously: 'You must reallywant your money.'
    'No.' Harvey shook his head wearily. 'It's not that, honey. He wants to be Caneton. And nobody ever beat Caneton. Yet.'
    I said quickly: 'Bring the car through in fifteen minutes. Unless you hear shooting. Then you can decide for yourself.'
    I walked away down the bank to the right, looking for the entrance to the communication trench. I found it and turned in.
    -----
     ミス・ジャーマンが悪意に満ちた声で言った。「お金のためならどんなことでもするのね」
    「ちがう」 ハーヴェイが疲れたように首をふった。「そうじゃあないんだよ。カントンでありたいのさ。敗れ ることを知らないカントンなんだ。今まではね」
     私は口をはさんだ。「十五分たったら車をもってきてくれ。銃声を聞かなければだ。銃声が聞こえたら、自分 で判断しろ」
     私は土手に沿って右へ歩きながら塹壕への入口を探した。見つけて中に入った。

Blog Entries
    There is not a single perfect system for Fate. It's better to take mechanics from several systems as long as they make coherent whole and can represent the setting adequately.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    Well, to start with, it depends on which game we are playing. Is it Magus: the Rooting? Dead Apostle: the Scheming? Demon: the Inverting?

I'd play Knight: The Hunt, though it's propably a supplement to Scheming.
    Psychic: The Abusing or Civilian: The Running Away might work too. After all, even WoD is the most interesting for a civilian who stumbles across the Masquerade or something of the sort.

Ossan: Like I've said, if you want to represent Fate alone, try FATE, or Exalted. If you want to represent the entire setting, which I'd say you should, Mutants and Masterminds are the closest. But it would be the best if someone would make a dedicated system for it, or a different version of an older system.
    For example, there is a very popular and interesting system named Adeptus Evangelion, which uses the base rules from Dark Heresy, but instead of Warhammer 40000, it's Evangelion, while it still allows the game to take wildly different directions from both. It would be possible to create a set of houserules for any game big enough to represent the whole setting. Nothing of the sort exists yet, though.

Clearly, if I don't make it, no one else will. HOPE YOU LIKE RIDDLE OF STEEL
    Last edited by Ratman; December 21st, 2013 at 11:41 AM.

Blog Entries
    Ratman, the creators of Adeptus Evangelion are now making their own system for the third edition, so I guess the first Nasuverse RPG could be a patchwork of other systems, but then develop mechanics on its own.

I'm on the board if someone else could be interested in the summer.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, summer sounds about right. I've got a lot to do until then.

I'll try to explain why I'd like it to be a modern bent on RoS or Song of Swords (which is pretty much a fix for RoS made by the same people). RoS, you see, focuses on gritty historical combat, which propably will come up in Nasuverse, no matter what part of the setting you focus on. Additionally, it has a very special magic system that has every spell's success rely on a number of factors, most important of which is preparation, and works really well with the idea of a family that only has two or three spells of situational use.
    It also is a good system for introducing an Origin mechanic, which should in my opinion be the centerpiece of any rpg system which uses Nasuverse as a setting. Basically, you can have backgrounds which change the easiness of your access to stuff, a mixed blood or an apostle should both be monsters in combat, but for different reasons. But beyond that, from the start, you should have an Origin that defines what you will have knack for and what you will be getting good at in the future. Technically, you could have "awakened origin" as the commoner background, so you can get pc's that aren't born with anything special, but are still exceptional as humans.

The worst part is propably going to be working out guns right, and adding an extra effort mechanic(fatepoints, plotarmor points) which is necessary to add if you want to mantain the tone, but could easily break the game. Obviously you can say that there's nothing wrong with breaking the powerlevels in Nasuverse because there aren't really any powerlevels and everything works on hard counters, but it should maintain at least some smblance of compactness before it breaks by the end of the campaign, when you will have combat pools over 30 anyway, so why try.

(also, obviously not trying to use Notes, if you want to play Notes, just use Exalted and be done with it)

If you want to see how RoS plays, you may want to look through the fechts on sup/tg/.
    Last edited by Ratman; December 21st, 2013 at 05:30 PM.