Page 1 of 7 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: The Kings In The Mountains

Blog Entries

The Kings In The Mountains

Yeah, the first few parts of this already went up on AO3. It's fully written now, so I'll be getting the forum up to speed and then simultaneously posting the end and bonuses in both places. (Plus, I wanna see what happens when I pretend that I do regular updates instead of chucking out a few thousand words every couple of months). One chapter per day guaranteed for the next week. Okay, off we go.

Humanity is, to all intents and purposes, a rather unspectacular strain of life. They do not think so quickly as the salarians, nor do they acquire the long-lived wisdom of the asari. They have none of the durability of turians, the krogan or the vorcha. Any batarian or elcor can crush a human's skull with a blow. Their memory is astoundingly inferior to that of the drell, and they cannot match the beautiful bioluminescence of the hanar. Frankly, humans aren't good for much. Middle of the road in almost every way, never visibly excelling.

A scientist, if called upon to show some enthusiasm for the humans, will likely babble on about their extraordinary genetic diversity. And it's true that humans come in a rather incredible array of colours, palest white to midnight black, that their eyes have dozens of shades to them, even that they are extraordinarily varied in their sexualities compared to other species. But this (though it skims the truth for an instant as a stone skips over water) is a detail, a curiosity. Humanity's variety would not make up for its weakness, and we must plunge further on.

If you ask some average person, wandering the Wards, they are actually more likely to pick up on their hair. Uncovered hair on an intelligent species is rather a novelty to the longer-established civilisations, and the wonder has still not worn off. Partners to aliens are known to have been trapped for hours with a lover who simply strokes and strokes their hair, learning colour, texture, length. (Amongst other things, this means hair is beginning to become symbol of romantic interest, inside and outside human space. Show yours off and fling it about to show that you're available; brush theirs with a hand to show you'd like to take up the offer).

A historian might perhaps get closer to the truth. Humanity, it will be noted, have expanded far more rapidly than any other recorded civilisation. They were pressed into war on their very first contact with an alien species (and for all that the Hierarchy records it as an 'Incident', the idea of the 'First Contact War' is far more pervasive in historical and popular discussion). They went up against the turian military machine – even a small part of it – and came out of it with a creditable draw. They made outstanding contributions to tactics, to new ship designs. They have won themselves a seat on the Council more quickly than anyone thought possible.

But the facts of history will not tell you the truth. At least, not all of it. Humanity has been vastly more successful than it has any right to be, but that does not get at the why of it, not the root. There is an extraordinary drive there. Krogans are bloody-minded to be sure (and can afford to be, even as more and more are born without full redundant systems), but they lack purpose in their stubborn nature. For that reason, they die the genophage's slow and lingering death, not only as their numbers dwindle with each warrior dead and each stillborn clutch, but also as they degrade themselves into feuding brutes. Brutes who forget the glory of their ancestors and will not stoop to curing their species' quiet death even as they rage about it to all who would hear.

And so the utter determination of humanity, gives them something no other species has. Something no species has ever had, according to the thousand cycle-long data banks of the Eldest, ancient Harbinger. It gives them Alaya. The great unconscious embodiment of human will. Alaya processes the belief and conviction of humanity. It shapes the gods. It elevates legends to be recorded in the Root, the Spiral of Origin, Void, 「」, siari, the fabric of the universe itself, whatever word or symbol or phrase you try to dedicate to that enormous, inexpressible concept.

But the gods left two thousand years ago, with all the other beasts of fantasy and legend, leaving humans to their Age of Man, the age of Technology. Scraps of their presence remain – an old sword, handed down through the clan's generations; the religions who were too stubborn to die when their heads were cut off and their feet shattered; a few families in which the bloodline was preserved and who are stronger or quicker than humans really should be (this, O learned scientist, even if you will get no proof, is where humanity's genetic diversity comes from – the inhuman constructs of human faith). Yet, they are only scraps. The gods have no place in the normal life of humanity any more, and humanity dwindles, invention after invention compensating as godsblood thins and the old, testing wilds are tamed.

Alaya's role, then, is more subtle in this day and age. The gods are gone and humanity relies too much on technology over personal strength for people to ever become true legends again. Occasionally, it will draw the attention of ancient heroes, the great unconscious calling the past to defend the present. But mostly it is nudges in the mind and manipulations and shadows, not the blowing horns of battle.

The time for that subtlety is past now. Humanity is under threat as never before. Alaya is under threat. For all that humans have made a hundred other planets homes, Earth is still the homeworld, the centre of its self-identity. If it were to fall … Alaya might not survive. Insofar as an extension of unconsciousness can be afraid, it is terrified. It is not a screaming panic – that is the realm of the conscious – but all those uncontrolled signs of fear. A trembling in the hands, a shivering, a pacing to-and-fro. All multiplied eight billion times over as the Reaper horns shake the land and their crimson streams of metal carelessly gut humanity's ships.

It might be stopped. A faint hope, but there, a single shooting star upon which all Earth's children can wish. As the Reapers' initial attack brings panic and terror, people falls back on the old superstitions and traditions. They grasp at straws, but that is enough. The King Under The Mountain. The Captain In His Hammock, A Thousand Mile Away. The Once And Future King. A hundred million despairing prayers soar, filled with belief. And the desperate sincerity is itself what means those prayers can be answered.

Their contracts are answered. Their vows fulfilled. Their legends reborn.

Charlemagne walks out of his mountain cave. He is in his prime, golden hair flowing down his shoulders, and the golden sword, Joyeuse, at his side.

Barbarossa stands tall again, brushing burial-earth away from massive shoulders and bright red beard. The Holy Roman Empire is no more, but its Emperors rise once again.

As a distant drumbeat sounds, by Plymouth a massive fleet of galleons rises out of the water, and the Golden Hind is at their head.

At the third cry of their horn, the cave entrance cracks open at last. First to march out is Fionn, old Ireland's saviour. And behind him are assembled the Fianna - Diarmuid and Oisin and Oengus and all the others - ready to protect the Emerald Isle once more.

Deep within the corridors of Kronborg Castle, the old statue shudders and then seems to fill with colour and texture and life until King Holger the Dane stands tall once more. And in his hand is Curtana, sister to Joyeuse and Durandal.

Near Athens, Theseus strides from the sea, his father's ancient kingdom. Just as at Marathon he came forth to sweep the Persians before him and the army of his countrymen, so he has returned again for his city's sake.

And though he never died, the call sounds loudly to another too. From the faery realms steps the healed Arthur, ageless ever since he took the scabbard of Excalibur, and so young that he seems a maiden girl at first sight.

But it is not only these legends who are realised now. Alaya's plea has no hold on them save the common bond of humanity, but few indeed are the heroes who would abandon their species, their planet, or a damned good fight. The path to the Throne of Heroes has been forced wide open, and the best that Earth has ever had to offer comes pouring out.

Notes/Special Features/Making Of

'King In/Under the Mountain' is the typical name used for this kind of mythological construct.

The 'Captain In His Hammock, A Thousand Mile Away' is from Henry Newbolt's poem on the legend of Drake's Drum and his potential return. Hear it read here.

Once and Future King is, of course, a translation from a line of Malory's: 'Rex Quondam Rexque Futurus' (more literally, if probably less powerfully, 'A king he was once, and a king he will be'.)

Der Quintes kommt was supposedly a line said by parents to their children to frighten them, near one of the mountains said to be Charlemagne's resting place. “The Fifth comes”, since some German called Charlemagne Karl the Fifth.

Expect this section to be a lot longer in subsequent ones as I go overboard on mythology.

Last edited by Seika; December 11th, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Index
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    Will this be restricted to heroes who are supposed to "return" according to their legends?
    But it is not only these legends who are realised now.
    Miss the last paragraph?
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    And then Gilgamesh enforces his claim on the Galaxy. Reaper derived technology ain't got shit on ancient Babylon.

I liked this when you linked the first two chapters a while back, and I like it now. Excited to see more!

Other than some baseless praise, I don't really have any constructive feedback to give on this introduction. It did what it was supposed to do without over staying it's welcome. The first half felt more like a lecture than a story, but I get why you chose that method of establishing the premise and setting rather than letting it flow with the story. Exposition would only get in the way of wanking the legends later on.

Blog Entries
    In all honesty, I suspect the lecture-y sense came from me feeling I had to try to shore up one of the weaker points here - how the cross is actually happening. I'm not treating this as a particularly serious story (though the characters think it's pretty apocalyptic), or else I'd have built the whole thing up a bit more and been perhaps subtler, but thought I should try to convince readers that this might sort-of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelnish View Post
    And then Gilgamesh enforces his claim on the Galaxy. Reaper derived technology ain't got shit on ancient Babylon.
    Gil ... certainly exists. That's all I'll say.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Yikes. It took me almost the entire chapter to remember that I read this before on another site.

It's intriguing because it's not a crossover that you see often.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Blog Entries
    Ogier

Seika you are mai waifu

アルテミット・ソット Ultimate Thot Five_X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    HNNNNNNNG- more Seika writing. Really, you're awesome, and we need more of this. Keep it up, Seika! I can't wait to see where this goes. :3
    <NEW FIC!> Revolution #9: Somewhere out there, there's a universe in which your mistakes and failures never happened, and all you wished for is true. How hard would you fight to make that real?

[11:20:46 AM] GlowStiks: lucina is supes attractive
    [12:40] Lace: lucina is amazing
    [12:40] Neir: lucina is pretty much flawless

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelnish View Post

I liked this when you linked the first two chapters a while back, and I like it now. Excited to see more!
    "There is no greater danger than underestimating the enemy." This has been proven time and time again in FSN. 3 times for Gilgamesh. His first and last mistake will be thinking he can take a Reaper without Ea.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Gil ... certainly exists. That's all I'll say.
    Yeah - not one of the Sleeping Kings, at least not that I've heard of. Arthur, Ogier, Charlemagne - sure. But not Gil.

Although, given the ambiguity of his fate in the legend, Merlin might be a possibility . . .
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Malgos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Send me a PM
    Haven't played Mass Effect 3, nor do I plan to play or buy it any time soon but I'm looking forward to seeing how this pans out.

Does this follow the Mass Effect 2 Ending that Shepard dies in?
    Last edited by Malgos; December 6th, 2012 at 08:49 AM.

Blog Entries
    Would be cool if he joins too, but i think you had enough awesomeness here.

"MONGLERS!" - Gilgamesh, last words

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunbazca View Post
    Well since somebody already mentioned one, might as well ask the question: Religious figures, will they be part of it? Because pretty sure there's several who's supposed to "return" to bring their people salvation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Yeah - not one of the Sleeping Kings, at least not that I've heard of. Arthur, Ogier, Charlemagne - sure. But not Gil.
    As was pointed out, though, we're not only using those (though the distinctions will turn out to matter). The emergence of all the people who did have the proper legends from the Throne, and Alaya's general ability to ask Heroic Spirits for help, means that there are plenty of heroes running around who have no right to be called back.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgos View Post
    Does this follow the Mass Effect 2 Ending that Shepard dies in?
    Shepard's doing whatever you feel like: my basic policy here was to keep all the unnecessary aspects of each universe out: you won't be seeing ME-era magi trying to conduct a defence of the Clock Tower, for example.

In terms of simple time, though, I think a living Shepard would already be off-planet, whether on Mars or on the way to the Citadel. It took time for the scale and devastation of the invasion to sink in, time for sufficient numbers of people to begin hanging hopes on old superstitions. This is at least a good few hours after the initial landings.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbazca View Post
    Yeah, I did worry about focusing my resurrecting heroes too much on Europe, but I think I lost track of that somewhere between cutting that section down for length and forgetting to research candidates from other areas. Kinda my bad.

Speaking generally, though, just because I've written all the planned bonus chapters, it doesn't mean I can't add in more (and this had been sort-of my intention; to add in new possibilities whom I found interesting as they were suggested).

On the third hand, see below for Kalki specifically.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    Well since somebody already mentioned one, might as well ask the question: Religious figures, will they be part of it? Because pretty sure there's several who's supposed to "return" to bring their people salvation.
    Mmmm ... yes and no. Theseus is a religious figure, one who was worshipped by the Ancient Greeks, so he'd technically count. But I don't have any intention of including Heroic Spirits based on key figures of modern religions. Why? Well, because Nasu's been fairly reticent about that sort of thing himself and I think that's a wise precedent to follow, but also because the effects of the returning religious leaders would be enormous, beyond the scope of what I wanted to have and to set up here.

Frankly, I also find various of the legends of these figures' returns somewhat distasteful, so that's probably a consideration.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

I told 'em, I told 'em. Bugrit! eddyak's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    As was pointed out, though, we're not only using those (though the distinctions will turn out to matter). The emergence of all the people who did have the proper legends from the Throne, and Alaya's general ability to ask Heroic Spirits for help, means that there are plenty of heroes running around who have no right to be called back.
    Oh god lol. Reaper on Krogan homeworld flashbacks. Gilles summons evil sea god demon, giant monsters wrestle.
    FGO Supports
    NA
    JP

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    Oh god lol. Reaper on Krogan homeworld flashbacks. Gilles summons evil sea god demon, giant monsters wrestle.
    I absolutely deny any and all rumours that divine sea monsters will be involved in the second bonus chapter.

(There's totally a divine sea monster in the second bonus chapter).
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    An ME x Fate crossover about the Heroes of Humanity rising up to defend Earth from the Reapers?
    By Seika?

Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Blog Entries
    Next chapter in half an hour or so, when I've had a hot shower and stopped feeling like shit. Worst monthlies I can remember.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

黒いスサノヲ, Black Susano'oh IhaxlikeNoob's Avatar
    Oh this story, I was wondering if it was gonna update on AO3.
    NASUVERSE STAMPEDE!!!

A scientist, if called upon to show some enthusiasm for the humans, will likely babble on about their extraordinary genetic diversity.
    No they won't; human genetic diversity is super-low. There are interesting theories, but in the end, it's something we've observed: compared to many other species, we're just not that diverse.

Well, all that ignores the point of your story, it just stuck in my craw.

I'm thinking it will be difficult to bring a story as incoherent as ME before a details-oriented crowd like this though....