Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: What I See

Quote Originally Posted by The Walking Man View Post
    Nice! I have a feeling that Shiki is up to something too. I highly doubt they would of caught him if he really didn't want to be. Anyways, I'll just wait and see what sort of madness will unfold.
    I reckon if Shiki wasn't up to something, Arcuied and Aoko would've raised hell like nothing the Clocktower had ever seen before.

God have mercy on my rolls... Servant Shiki's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Noir
    Sometimes I wonder, would Aoko actually help Shiki in this kind of situtaion, I really don't know that much about her.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Aoko always struck me as more of a 'sink or swim' mentor, so I think she'd worry about it but trust Shiki to get himself out of the situation somehow after giving him a kick.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by legoguydude View Post
    I reckon if Shiki wasn't up to something, Arcuied and Aoko would've raised hell like nothing the Clocktower had ever seen before.
    Arc True, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Servant Shiki View Post
    Sometimes I wonder, would Aoko actually help Shiki in this kind of situtaion, I really don't know that much about her.
    Even if she were to know anything about it, which, unless she really is a stalker shotacon, is unlikely, I don't think their relationship really extends to that kind of thing. It's not that he's her student in terms of magecraft or combat or something, but of life perspective. So long as he works to do what he promised, to cherish life, I doubt she'd interfere with the choices he makes in life--and the consequences.

JP Friend Code
    Noir
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Even if she were to know anything about it, which, unless she really is a stalker shotacon, is unlikely, I don't think their relationship really extends to that kind of thing. It's not that he's her student in terms of magecraft or combat or something, but of life perspective. So long as he works to do what he promised, to cherish life, I doubt she'd interfere with the choices he makes in life--and the consequences.
    Ah, I see, thanks for the clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Aoko always struck me as more of a 'sink or swim' mentor, so I think she'd worry about it but trust Shiki to get himself out of the situation somehow after giving him a kick.
    You know, I think that if Shiki and Aoko had spent more time together this would have been true.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Asshats don't cease when they die but after folk forget what made them fun LunarLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Waver Velvet
    “Yeah, yeah, he just oogled your ass and wanted to bukkake you or whatever the hell it is you Japanese people do, I don’t care, it isn’t my problem.” He pointed to the door. “You already got your budget for the remainder of the year. You’re the genius, you figure it out. Now, you need to get out of here.”
    Waver Velvet - master asshole. Exactly the sort of characterization I'd expect from adult Waver. "You don't play video games? You're the worst Japanese ever, Tohsaka!"

Poor Rin. She still hasn't been able to sort out the funding for her research. As a grad student, I utterly sympathize.

Quote Originally Posted by The Walking Man View Post
    Nice! I have a feeling that Shiki is up to something too. I highly doubt they would of caught him if he really didn't want to be. Anyways, I'll just wait and see what sort of madness will unfold.
    My sentiments. I think Shiki either allowed himself to be captured, or those Mage-Killers are BADASS.

At any rate, color me intrigued.

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Looks like somebody is going to have their hands full in the near future.

Waver confirmed for best lecturer in Clock Tower just from these dialogues alone, now.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

Blog Entries
    Shiki's a Servant. In a convoluted manner, he is. In any case, this is an amusing presentation, and I shall be subscribing to it.
    I'm not famous. My conscience is.

This seems very interesting! *subscribes*

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    What I See
    Chapter 2: To Hear Loss

There was one good thing to be had from this.

“Funding. Oh yes.” Rin’s voice came out breathless and overcome. “Bazett, you are the best babysitting employer ever.”

The room that had been set aside did have the promised information—or at least, some information, probably not all of it—as well as “coverage.” Rin had not participated in any of the Enforcer work that occurred, though she kept an eye out in case things turned toward her family. One thing that the so-called janitors of the tower did have, however, was plenty of money. Apparently Bazett had left behind a stipend for doing the work that ought to be handled by someone within the profession.

“Great!” Shiki said. “Can we order a pizza?”

Sighing, Rin admitted to herself that it was somehow partially due to this guy that she would receive such money. “I’ll think about it. There are chairs all around, uh, here, I’ll point you to one.”

The lab was part office space, part teaching space. While it was smaller than the lecture halls, there were four tables set out to one side of the room. To the uninitiated, it would probably resemble a small class space for the sciences. There were four sinks on the far wall behind the tables like one might find in a biology or chemistry class, even.

Of course, the devices on the front desk where the instructor would be did not resemble anything in modern schools. Or this century, for that matter.

Along with the stack of bank notes, there was a file as Bazett promised. After getting Shiki seated, Rin thumbed through them, deciding she would read carefully later. The general idea, though, was just as Bazett had said: Shiki Tohno, the target, wanted by a few of the different department heads within the tower. Information about his last known address. References to ties with the Holy Church; Rin considered calling in a few favors if she decided to pursue information there. Basic family info. Some rather long paragraphs regarding said family’s history.

“Demon blooded, huh?” Rin asked, eyeing the young man for any kind of interesting reaction. She was not rewarded with any when he shrugged. “Didn’t think you were normal.”

“Speaking of blood, I also have anemia. If we’re going to get pizza, it’d be better sooner than later.”

Rin wondered if she was capable of hitting a blind person. “Anemia my left foot. Blood sucker?”

Shiki shrugged again. “Not as far as I know. That’d be, uh, well.” He appeared to consider for a moment. “If that were true, I’m pretty sure I’d be in a completely different situation right now.”

Like as food for dust mites, Rin bit back on saying aloud. It was not a regular occurrence—the Church favored doing it over the Association—but had this guy been a Dead Apostle, it was pretty set that Bazett would have just killed him and brought his body back for whatever it was the department heads wanted. Still, if he had some kind of separate ancestry that included blood-sucking, Rin thought she might at least have some kind of mental preparation. “I’m sure you would.” She sighed. Regardless to his brazen attitude, she thought it might be unlikely that he had been fed while with the other Enforcer hard-asses. “I’ll go find a phone and get something, I suppose.” She went nearly cross-eyed as her brow fell. “Anything for your anemia? Need some supplements on top of it all?”

His eyebrows went up beneath the blindfold and he took on what she assumed to be a well now that you mention it expression. “If we’re getting pizza, some breadsti—”

“Forget it.” She rolled her eyes. “Anything else, your highness?”

Shiki yawned and stretched. The chains anchored to his wrists chimed obnoxiously as he raised his arms above his head. “How does this work, anyway? Am I supposed to just sleep on the hard floor, or what?”

“No. The storage space should have some cushions or a mattress and I know there are some blankets around. A lot of us spend too much time here.” Far too much time, the magus decided. The fact that she knew the closet spaces kept things for sleeping was information she should not be proud to know. “I’ll drag some in here after I get food.”

“And, uh, where’s the bathroom?”

“I put the doorway to it directly behind you.” She allowed herself a grin. “There’s also a decontamination shower, if I need to waterboard you, just in case you’re thinking of misbehaving.”

The insufferable grin she had caught him with once or twice already returned in full-force. “They teach you that here at magic academy? All of you must be horrible people.”

“Horrible people in charge of whether you eat tonight.” She wished now he could see her flat glare. “Just, keep out of trouble. There’s nothing in here that’ll help you escape.”

When she was almost to the door, she heard him grumble, “No black olives. I hate black olives.”

Rin immediately thought that she would order something with a double serving of black olives. But then she stopped to consider that he knew she was likely to be that petty and had complained aloud as a ploy. If she gave him food full of olives that he actually liked—

But if he really didn’t like them—

Her mind was still running in circles when she called in the order.

Rin returned to her apartment that night. With extra funds, she did not need to stress out for a little while longer. Too, regarding her new charge, if he was looking to escape, she thought it would be after a couple of days passed—time enough for him to gauge his surroundings and perhaps for his guard to become worn down or pay less attention. Either way, she was going to take a good long bath and rest easy, both to prepare herself for development time that worked against her or an uncooperative prisoner.

She cautiously checked in on him the next day.

The wards were strangely untouched. The boundary field surrounding the room was subtle and multi-layered; If this Shiki was a magus of any kind, there should have been signs. Even as untrained as they were, Rin knew that keeping Sakura or Shirou within the confines of such a room would have shown some things—whether probing from Sakura’s spellwork or even signs that Shirou had been analyzing the structure of the building. The field was sensitive enough that any magical signature should have shown something. And even as generally amiable Shiki had seemed about his situation, he had also shown a certain amount of curiosity. Apparently, whatever ability he might have to look around did not include something that was within the realm of “magecraft.” She considered if that meant she should look into installing a webcam, just to be cautious.

Of course, that idea was thrown out in the face of her familiarity with that technology being limited to “it exists.”

She knocked on the door a couple of times before entering. The large, old doors to the lab were thick enough that sound did not carry through, so even if he told her to keep out, she would not hear it.

Thankfully, he was not naked and switching into the clothes she had left for him the evening before. In fact, he was not even awake, sprawled out on the sleeping bag they had found for him. Despite knowing what time it was, Rin still glanced to her wrist to see that it was indeed after noon.

Shiki Tohno was not, apparently, a morning person. In fact, if she did not wake him, he might not even be an afternoon person.

For a fleeting moment, she considered making good on her threat of waterboarding and dumping a bucket of water on his face to wake him up. His parting shot at her—commenting that a girl like her should not be eating the pizza she’d brought, else it’d go right to her hips—was not something she would ever forget. It was doubly infuriating because he seemed unafraid to speak it. She knew another idiot that often seemed to think various terrible things to say, but he was at least wise enough to not speak the majority of them aloud.

Of course, she still punished him whenever she caught the look on his face that said as much as his mouth could.

Deciding she would wait on the more severe wake-up call, she jabbed him with her foot instead. “Hey. Blind boy. If you don’t wake up, I’m okay to leave you here without another meal.”

He made a sound like a large dog had both a cough and a sneeze at the same time, followed by a long, low groan.

“I can’t imagine you actually stayed up late if, as you said, you were awake for most of the flight from Japan.” Rin crossed her arms in front of her chest and tapped her foot, though he would only hear the latter.

The vocalization he made sounded like an attempt at good morning and came out something like “Mookorng.”

Rin set the bags she had brought with her down at her feet. “I went grocery shopping, so you have stuff to eat so I don’t have to check in on you every few hours. I hope you get fat on it all.”

“I’m only twenty. I’ve got at least another year or two of eating like a pig before it shows.”

There was a burning sensation to the back of Rin’s neck as the jab he gave the previous night came back to the forefront of her mind. “Then what, you just think I’m already fat?”

“Er. How old are you again?”

In less than ten seconds, he had already implied she was overweight and was asking her about her age. She was going to throttle him. Repeatedly. While sitting on him to see how much he liked her weight then. “The same age.”

His eyebrows appeared again, shooting up in surprise. “Oh. Oh. Sorry. I thought you were at least that Bazett’s age. You sound older.”

“Bazett’s only twenty-five, genius.”

“No, I figured around that. I mean, you talk like you’re more mature.” He raised his hands when she took a step forward. “I don’t mean it in a bad way! No cracks about thirty-somethings, I promise.”

Rin fumed, but kept her fists to her sides. “Why don’t you take that thing off your head and take a look for yourself? I promise, whatever magic is there, it won’t work on me.” Not that she actually could promise such a thing, but she had a few tricks that would slow or at least temporarily disable even Rider’s vision. She was not exactly unprepared.

The slow way his posture changed, from jokingly alarmed to subdued was noticeable. He set his hands back down, brushing along the chains that anchored him to the weights just beyond his reach. “I think I’ll pass, thanks.”

For some reason, despite all the other harassing remarks he had made, that had her truly curious.

She decided not to let him know. If she could figure this out on her own, it might put them back on the footing this situation ought to naturally fall under.

Over the next few days she moved her work to the lab Shiki was kept in. It was not a difficult task; the complexities behind the Kaleidoscope magic were things she had conceptually grasped in the final fight of the Grail War. The process was something that, with the right tools, she could do with relative ease. Those tools simply cost much more than she had ready access to. Now that she had additional funding, the process to replicate the gem sword was simply an otherwise boring affair. It would not even produce anything until the process was nearly finished—the sword base she had for it was even a useless device if Shiki considered stealing it.

For Shirou, it had meant copying the sword—ultimately no different than anything else his specialized brand of magic did. Though it was a Mystic Code that he did not have the mental processes to activate, Rin would forever hold a tiny grudge in her heart over the fact that he could recreate the entire weapon without much effort.

For her, it meant actualizing the crystals she had into a specific, transmuted form. That meant a process not unlike the one she underwent when charging her jewels with energy. It meant she sat around, bleeding from one limb, while drinking a box of orange juice from the other.

“You’re insane. Magi are insane. You’re all insane.”

Rin ignored him as Shiki ranted on and on, pacing back and forth in front of the desk she was using, apparently so disturbed he did not care about the weight that pulled at him with each step he took. It was the second time she had come in to work and proceeded to gouge herself with a needle to draw blood.

“Crazy, terrible, terrifying people. What the hell? You’re monsters. You destroy things like Dead Apostles, calling them monsters. You’re the monsters. You’re horrible, horrible things. Creatures without hope.”

“Just so you know,” Rin said, sighing, “Most magi don’t care about Dead Apostles or call them anything but Dead Apostles. Usually the Church is the one that calls them things.”

“I bet you wouldn’t bat an eyelash at the dentist, either.” The chained man gave a full-body shiver. “Beasts, vermin, horrible nightmares the likes of which—”

Rin finished her last draw and slapped a bandage over the small wound. “Alright, fine, I’ll bite. Why are we so bad.” She did not even set it as a question, her words coming out flat and uninspired.

“Jamming needles into yourself? Voluntarily sticking something tiny and sharp just under your own skin? And it isn’t even for some kind of drug? I mean, that I’d get, but, you’re doing it just because you can? Why? What kind of broken mind does that?”

“Someone hated getting inoculated before school,” Rin said.

“That’s normal. You’re a monster.”

Though once again he could not see it, Rin motioned to the wrappings over his eyes. “That your problem? You can’t stand sharp things? No surgeries to get your eyesight fixed?”

Shiki visibly shrank away, wilting at the suggestion. “Poking things into your eyes?” Though said eyes were unable to convey an emotion, the rest of him looked positively repulsed. “I get it, I get it. Not a word more about your weight. Your hips are fine. They’re perfect. Sculpted by Michelangelo himself. You’re a heavenly angel that brings peace to the dying, appears with great tidings of giddy joy for virgin women.”

“Mmm hmm. Angels also killed a bunch of firstborns in Egypt, if I recall correctly.”

The nervous way his head turned away suggested he had thought of that too.

“Keep it up. I have plenty of tiny pointy things to poke and prod you with if I must.” She leaned over the desk and made to hit him upside the head—

He ducked out of the way.

It killed her. It really killed her. She resisted the urge to just reach for his throat and squeeze. “Alright, just give it to me straight. I must be stupid for asking, but I have to know. What the hell are you here for? Do you even know?”

He gave a straight answer. Too straight an answer. “Because those guys grabbed me.”

Rin pinched at the bridge of her nose. “I don’t mean how you got here. Why are you here? I’m asking why those Enforcers grabbed you.”

“No clue. I mean, I’ve met one or two of your kind before, sure. But they never seemed interested in me. Not like this, anyway. Those guys, the ones that grabbed me, they didn’t either, really, but they did say something about others being interested. Don’t know anything more than that.”

Though it was a stupid question on the surface—he was blindfolded and they were trained opponents—the little bits of how aware he seemed to be compelled her to ask anyway. “And you didn’t fight back?”

“Well, yeah, at first. When I didn’t know that they wanted me alive.”

“How did you figure out they wanted you alive?”

“Ehhhhh.” The man shuddered from what looked like the very tips of his toes right up his legs and back. “That woman, Bazett? I could, uh, tell that she was doing so.”

Rin looked suspicious. If he had been covering up the term “to see” rather than “tell,” she might understand the way his words meandered. The more she spoke with him, however, the more she picked up on the fact that containing his eyesight was self-inflicted. If he was doing it to himself, there was no reason to hide that he could somehow still see through it. She sat back down and leaned back in her seat. “Uh huh. How could you tell?”

He took that as a cue, sitting down as well. “Well, I can tell that you practice martial arts. A Chinese form?”

Rin was rather glad he could not actually see her expressions. It was nice to be able to let herself be visibly surprised, yet not have to suddenly clamp down on it. Everyone else in her life always gave her endless trouble whenever she let things visibly trouble her. “I haven’t even done anything that would say that.”

“You walk like a person who does. One of my cousins trains in that style, too. It’s a lot different from Japanese forms like karate or aikido because of the footwork.”

The time earlier, when she had tested out how aware he was of his surroundings seemed to come back around to her. The general idea was rather similar—just paying attention to how people moved. Rin supposed that it would make sense, that if someone was familiar enough with close combat forms, they might be able to discern something about another practitioner by how they walked. Even Sakura and Shirou, neither of which practiced hand-to-hand martial arts, did have a preference to leading off with their left side because of their time with archery. It was something Rin knew if she thought about it consciously, though she never would have purposefully considered it like this Shiki did.

She sighed. “Okay, Sherlock, that may be true, but what does it have to do with getting caught?”

He leaned back, hands behind his head. “That woman had scary footwork. I mean, really scary. But the first blow she landed on me did nothing but bruise. It was only a glancing blow to my side, though I got the feeling that if she wanted, it’d have blasted a chunk of my body clean from my ribs. Forget whatever it is you magicians do, even. I get the impression she’s world-class, even without that stuff.” He looked ready to say something else, then shrugged and shut his mouth.

“So you know some kind of martial art too, if you were trading blows.” Which made Rin consider what exactly, again, he was—two of the Enforcers were modern types, people who used weaponry like explosives and rifles if they needed. The fact that this had come to some kind of close combat battle if they could have just shot him, trapped him, or used a tazer was curious.

“My dad put a Skip-It around my ankles and made me jump five thousand times in a row.” He stuck out his chin and shook his leg, the chain around his ankle jangling. “I’m deadly within two meters.”

Rin put her chin in her hands. “Nice try. Reminds me that I have a couple more kilos I can add to those chains and they still won’t break.”

He sighed in disappointment. “So yeah, the scary one hits me a couple of times, I get that if I get away, she might just break my legs the next time we see each other, so yeah. Here I am.” Though there were no visible eyes to do so, he seemed to fix her with what would otherwise be a stare. “Didn’t she give you something to read about all this?”

“Didn’t say much,” Rin fudged. The truth was that it did hint at any number of reasons he could be of interest to the Association. Whether it was something relating to his ancestry, the fact that he had a complicated past, or even his alleged association with a True Ancestor. There were a few things, however, that also concerned her. Though he was infuriating as a person, nothing in his record actually suggested he was some kind of danger. Yes, he had apparently been involved with some issues at his school, but with the Church involved she thought they would have swept that under the rug. He did not seem otherwise like he might threaten the safety of the Association’s secrets.

That left a Sealing Designation, though he did not seem to be a magi of any sort. There was no kind of research he might have that would suggest that. Too, the file had not mentioned that tag.

Why him, then—unless he was not their intended target?

“By the way, have any more of that orange juice? Just thinking about your nasty little habits has me feeling a little faint.”

Despite automatically going for another one of the juice boxes, Rin said, “Then I anxiously await your narcoleptic episode.”

It was a day later, before she had gone to check in on him, that Rin bumped into one of the Enforcers that had caught him: Jane, the one with the creepy eyes. Not only did it simply unnerve her to be around him, but it was no accident that she came across him when he called out her name.

“What?” She set herself against anything he could possibly say, crossing her arms in front of her.

Which meant nearly getting smacked in the face when he tossed a small device at her. “Forgot. That guy we brought in, this was on him. It ran out of power today.”

She glared, fingering the boxy phone. “Brilliant. You might have mentioned he had something like this before.”

Jane shrugged, though he never once looked away—a decision that made the hairs on Rin’s neck stand on end. “Been busy.” His look turned even more surly. “You might ask him about it. He got something like four calls from his sister before we left the country. She might start sniffing around.”

“And smelling you guys wouldn’t take an expert nose,” Rin muttered.

His responsibility apparently finished, the blond Enforcer stalked off without another word.

“Ugh.” Rin imagined throwing the phone at the back of the man’s head.

“Akiha, was it? Apparently she called you a lot before this died,” Rin said, tossing Shiki the device.

As expected, he caught it one-handed despite not even turning his head in her direction. He had taken to lounging in his “bed” listening to music on a player she had somehow convinced Waver Velvet to part with. “Probably.”

Rin once more went for her equipment. Shiki shifted nervously in place, clearly still uncomfortable with what she was doing. “So, is that why you’re poking around here, asking questions and all?” She grinned to herself when he seemed to flinch at her choice of words.

“Maybe,” he admitted.

“I read about how they caught you late at night pretty far from your house, apparently with no reason to be away.”

“Uh huh.”

“No reason to be out, no hints of danger in your neighborhood, not even a meeting with whoever it is you know with the Church. Just out and about…when five deadly killers are staking out your place.”

Shiki slipped his hands beneath the pillow behind his head. “Pretty lucky, yeah.”

“You thought they were after your sister.”

A chuckle. “Not really.”

“Then what?” Rin sat up on the desk, deeming the conversation marginally more interesting than the tedium of her magecraft.

“I pray, to any and all great powers in this world, you never meet my sister. My mind can only take so much terror.”

Even as a joke, Rin still managed to see the underlying message. Though it might not be outright concern—he might even think that whatever demonic heritage his sister controlled might stand up to multiple Enforcers—he still seemed to have been away from his home on purpose. If the information about his contacts within the Church was true, Rin was surprised he would not have gone to them for help or asylum.

Though, if he actually thought the people at his door were after his sister, it might explain why he did not go to the Church for help. They probably would not have raised a finger in a half-blood’s defense.

Still, if it was the reason he allowed himself to be caught, she understood those kind of motives. Though it was a rather minor concern, the idea that people within the Association would discover that Sakura still had a connection to the Grail—the very device they wanted to punish Rin for losing—was an issue for which she made sure to keep her ear to the ground. “I kind of doubt it would go that way. The Association is pretty well-versed in creature lore. I don’t think they’d care…especially about some ‘backwater’ species that might have descendants in Japan.”

The laid-back expression he kept had disappeared completely, replaced by a set jaw. Though his voice still came out easy. “You ever just, I dunno, close your eyes and listen?” Once more, he was going to lead her on some kind of tangential explanation. “Ever realize that sounds might be more important than you first think? Like, the sound of a heartbeat…you know, something simple that we don’t think of much when going to the doctor’s, but something that’s pretty important? Listening to something that says another is alive, real, like you are?”

“You think about strange things.”

“All the time. Well, most of the time.” He tilted his head and the edges of his lips twitched, like he was going to deliver some kind of joke, then decided against it.

Rolling her eyes, Rin found herself considering, despite herself, leaning her hands back on the desk. “Once, I guess.”

A faint smile. “Only once?”

“I usually don’t think about strange things.” Though once the words passed her lips, she thought perhaps what rated as ‘strange’ to her was probably very different to even other magi, much less some random person off the street. “Never thought too hard on that sort of thing. Gets depressing after a while.”

He kicked his foot so the weight attached to it jumped fractionally. “Boo hoo. I’m shackled in a foreign country that thinks fish and chips are the best thing ever. Give me something, here.”

“Some people I know…” Rin found herself wondering if she should just say who, since Shiki had admitted to his sister. “People important to me, I thought at one point they might end up…gone. One of them, I remember doing that, I guess. On accident. Listening to him breathing.”

The smile went from his expression again. “Surprising, wasn’t it? You know other people are alive like you are, but it’s something else when you really listen closely to something they can’t do without.”

“…I guess.”

“Well, it’s important to me. Real important. So that’s what I thought. I don’t really care if it was some kind of maneuver or feint, but if you’re going to go that way, I’d treat it as real no matter what.” He gave a helpless shrug. “When that woman hit me, though, it was without the kind of threat on life that I’m pretty good at recognizing. So, I surrendered. This one was lenient, so who knows what the next one might be like. This way, maybe, it all gets resolved without violence? Cause, I don’t know about you, but I really don’t like hurting people. Or being hurt.”

That made sense to Rin, at least. If one of the other Enforcers were in charge, or even some of the ones she’d since learned about, like Shirou’s father—well, it would not be so bloodless. Even if his sister was not involved at all, someone might make her involved to manipulate the circumstances of his capture. If it had even been in another location, a populated area, it was possible that even Bazett would have purged any witnesses. Magi were just like that.

Still, it was also enough to confirm to her own satisfaction the kind of danger this one could pose. Left unsaid, there was something in the way he spoke that suggested he could still escape from confinement. If anything he was interrogating her as much as she was interrogating him. Figuring out what he was up against, who he was with, what kind of things they wanted him for.

The last one, however, she was still not sure of herself. He had some strange skills and was possibly concealing constantly-active Mystic Eyes like Rider.

“And if it isn’t your sister?”

Shiki shrugged again. “Wasn’t really willing to take that chance. I don’t particularly have any regrets there, even if you decide I need my blood drawn.” He shuddered.

When she returned home that evening—probably the last evening she deemed it safe to do so—Rin could not help but eye her phone each time she passed it. Get her dirty clothes into hamper. Eye her phone. Get some food made. Eye her phone. Take a bath. Finally, when she was finished with cleaning up, she decided she would just get it off her mind. It was late enough in London that it would be morning in Japan, though late enough that she knew everyone in the house would be awake.

The phone picked up after only two rings. “Emiya residence.”

“It’s Rin.”

“Tohsaka?” He sounded concerned. She did not usually contact them—or if she did, it was often later in the day for them. “Is something up?”

“No? Just,” She tried to make the words she wanted to say sound as casual as she could make them. “It’s good to hear you, Shirou.”

“…Er. I’m getting Sakura.”

When she heard the sound of him putting the receiver down, Rin smashed her forehead onto her desk.

Sakura’s voice followed a few moments later. “Nee-san?”

Rin was once more glad that nobody could see her face right then. “It’s…it’s nothing, really. I just,” she scrambled around her thoughts for the right words, “I just wanted to hear how everything was over there.”

And she did.

To be continued.

JP Friend Code
    Noir
    My reaction when updated:

Favorite part of this chapter had to be Shiki commenting on Rin's age and body weight, it was hilarious.

I do wonder how Rin will react when (if) she finds out about Shiki's Mystic Eyes.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

I like it. The interaction between Rin and Shiki was both inciteful and hilarious. Looking forward to more.

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    Wow, I didn't even know this was already out. And only two pages of comments in a fanfic by Arashi? Whoa, people must really dislike Tohno.

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?

JP Friend Code
    Noir
    I know, it makes me sad.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
    Wow, I didn't even know this was already out. And only two pages of comments in a fanfic by Arashi? Whoa, people must really dislike Tohno.
    A story like this stands up on slowly unraveling mysteries that the audience already knows, and character interactions - and the character portrayals are spot-on. Not a whole lot to talk about.
    Last edited by legoguydude; December 28th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    ^ This, pretty much. It has roughly the same traffic as my other stuff on FFN. Still, not a lot happens until chapter 4.

JP Friend Code
    Noir
    Then I'll just post silly gif everytime you update the story.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Blog Entries
    Its too good to comment on.

Loved the Rin head-desk.
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Still, not a lot happens until chapter 4.
    Isn't it only 5 chapters long? That seems kinda late for a plot to kick into gear....
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    The plot has kicked into gear. This was always going to be about "what would make Rin interested in Shiki?" not "Rin and Shiki do crazyawesomeshit together."

And obviously, the answer is "sensory deprivation." Kinky.