Thread: Sha Nagba Imuru – He Who Knows Everything

Sha Nagba Imuru – He Who Knows Everything

I just realized I never posted this here. Its an old fic that started strong but puttered out when I had second thoughts for the initial plans for it.

So screw the initial plans. Don't know if I'll make this an actual fic, but if I do, it'll go somewhere completely different from where it used to be headed.

Disclaimer: Based off of the writing style and works of Jenna Moran, Exalted and Nobilis Author, as well as the works of Kinoko Nasu and Takeuchi Takeshi.

Sha Nagba Imuru – He Who Knows Everything

Prologue – A Meeting of Kings
    He who has seen everything, I will make known to the lands.
    I will teach about him who experienced all things alike.
    Anu granted him the totality of knowledge of all.
    He saw the Secret, discovered the Hidden,
    he brought information of the time before the Flood.
    He went on a distant journey, pushing himself to exhaustion,
    but then was brought to peace.
    He carved on a stone stela all of his toils,
    and built the wall of Uruk-Haven,
    the wall of the sacred Eanna Temple, the holy sanctuary.
    Look at its wall which gleams like copper,
    inspect its inner wall, the likes of which no one can equal!
    Take hold of the threshold stone--it dates from ancient times!
    Go close to the Eanna Temple, the residence of Ishtar,
    such as no later king or man ever equaled!
    Go up on the wall of Uruk and walk around,
    examine its foundation, inspect its brickwork thoroughly.
    Is not (even the core of) the brick structure made of kiln-fired brick,
    and did not the Seven Sages themselves lay out its plans?
    One league city, one league palm gardens, one league lowlands, the open area of the Ishtar Temple,
    three leagues and the open area of Uruk it encloses.
    Find the copper tablet box,
    open its lock of bronze,
    undo the fastening of its secret opening.
    Take and read out from the lapis lazuli tablet
    how Gilgamesh went through every hardship.
    - Epic of Gilgamesh, Unknown

In a World Beyond Mortal Keen…

Once upon a time, a man named Gilgamesh forgot who he was. This was not the world he knew and he was no longer as he knew himself; before the splendor of the newfound glory within and without, it was hard to remember who he was or had been.

Even so, the man travelled east, for in the east he knew something waited for him. He knew not what it was; merely that it was a place he was supposed to be. But even so he left behind the furthest regions of the Lower Realms and travelled towards the one above.

He walked east until the land itself ended.

He swam east until the sea itself ended.

He flew east until he reached the end of the sky.

And then he stood upon the boundaries of the world and he peered beyond it.

The place Beyond the World he knew was swirling and filling and closing, like the surf. Upon it were patterns of darkness and light, reflections and reflections of illumination and shading, and a chaos. There was unity and division beyond the world and though he knew not why, as he stepped in, his Heart was full of joy, as if he was returning home, and also a fear for his life.

All around him the surf crashed. He could not breathe well. The Sea Beyond the World kept hitting him and with every step it got into his mouth and his nose, flowing past him and over him and through him, trying to wash something away. Its waves made a sound like the Sunset and it felt like broken hearts and looked like lost love, but tasted like joy cut short. A Chain was wrapped around him and the Chain was a Snake. Its scales were like something he should have left behind, but couldn’t.

He knew, in that moment.

Something was killing him.

But still he walked, though the chains of something heavier then he felt his shoulders could bear tried to drag him down. He walked through the chaos as it tried to wash him away, moving ever eastward, even as his mind and his ears and his eyes tried to deceive him.

To the east, there was order. There were boundaries and those boundaries gave shape and form to the world. Around him, the sea was swirling and filling and closing like the surf, but to the east there were lines and dots, colors and shades, people, places, and things that were real and true and define, though they were not as he was used to. The Sea of Chaos crashed against the shores of that place and stopped, unable to wash it away, and he kept it in his eyes through it all, no matter what appeared before his eyes. No matter what bound his limbs and his throat and tried to drag him down.

So Gilgamesh walked east, though Enkidu was killing him.

“You are my best friend.” He told Enkidu, drawing strength from the words and managing to take another step further. His body felt hot, like with sickness and fever, as if he were being poisoned by his struggles, but he pushed on despite that, too.

“And you are mine.” The Serpent that was a Chain replied in a voice like the Old Age and Weariness of men.

“And it will always be so?” He asked, struggling to breath.

“Forever.” It lied, sounding like Mortality and Endings and Paths Not Taken.

But it was in Enkidu’s voice, which he knew like his own name, though he could not remember from where or why, and as it played through his mind, he nodded in agreement, even though it was a lie and he carried on.

He was soon to die, he knew, for Enkidu was killing him. The Chains that were Coils tightened around him the further east he went.

“You are my best friend.” He told Enkidu, as if to remind himself. As if it would prevent something he knew would happen, but didn’t wish for.

The Coils that were Chains tightened again.

Gilgamesh staggered and fell, one hand coming down on something hard and alive. Something he didn’t want to acknowledge lurked beneath the Sea. His other hand tried to squirm beneath the coils around his neck.

“Enkidu,” He gasped, but could say no more.

“We will die here, for such is the fate of all mortal men.” The Snake and the Chain whispered at the edge of a new world, repeating something Gilgamesh had heard before—something that had once repulsed him and something which he had once embraced, and it dragged him down, though he tried to fight.

And the open spaces of the world spoke, and its voice was everywhere and nowhere and cruel and kind, and they said, “Then thus far, but no further, ‘mortal man.’”

Gilgamesh looked up and it was obvious even to the wind that he did not understand.

“Before you is a world,” the voice said. “That was made for those above men. And to maintain that world, it is necessary to exclude those that do not belong and cast them out. Mortal souls may return to their father or serve in Heaven or Hell, but they have no other place here. That is the will of the Maker, who made this world as it is, and that is my will. One such as you, a soul who even now is bound by the chains called Mortality, despite casting off your mortal flesh; one such as you has no place in this world.”

And there is was; that which he did not wish to acknowledge.

Enkidu was dead.

He remembered…

“Let Enkidu die, but spare Gilgamesh his life.” Said Enlil.

Oh, Enkidu; why did they absolve me, but cast you down to sit amongst the dead?

Gilgamesh’s hand slipped away from his neck. The coils tightened.

And the memories and regrets of Enkidu tightened about him and Gilgamesh could not breathe and his right foot cracked the surface of That Beneath the Sea and his left foot shifted. His hands wrapped around the body of the Snake and pulled and his back bent and his arms stretched out.

He cracked Enkidu’s neck against That Beneath the Sea and held his head beneath the waves. The coils loosened and the Snake flailed. His hands cracked scales that shone with something dear to him as his fingers sank into the muscle of the beast.

Loop by loop, the snake fell away from him and then the snake was just a chain.

His Mortality died there, beneath the sea.

He did not say: Oh, Enkidu.

He staggered upon the shores of the world with a chain that was no longer a snake and he put his head in his hands. The wind did not stop him.

“What have I done?” He asked.

Enlil spun around him curiously, and it is quite some time before he speaks again.

“The question is immaterial; you cast aside something that had no value in the first place.”

XxXXxX
    Last edited by Ryuugi; December 17th, 2012 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Adding a Disclaimer I forgot.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle whosaidthat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So, you will put in this forum too. I'm expecting good things from this story.
    Fate/Core Hero [Fate Stay Night/???]

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting - but it's "mortal ken," not "keen." An old Celtic term for "knowledge," for those who don't know.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

XxXXxX

Gilgamesh was young. He was so very, very young in the grand scheme of things and he was tired and lost and ignorant. He was nothing but a castaway on the shores of the World.

So he laid there and did not move until the voice of the wind rose about him again.

But this voice was not that of Enlil, the God of the Sky Between Heaven and Earth. He listened and it was the voice of Goddess of the Air that he heard.

“It has been quite some time, Gilgamesh, son of Lugalbanda and Ninsun, grandson of Heaven and Earth. God-Slayer, why do you now lie upon the shores of this World? One would think you would be happy, to have become like onto the gods and to live forever and fear not death.” She said.

Gilgamesh remembered the Goddess; it had been he who had rebuilt her temple in Nippur.

He stood slowly.

“I have a mother.” He recalled. “And a father. And a grandfather and grandmother. I am the grandson of Anu and Uras.”

He clinched his hands slowly into fists, frowning.

“But Enkidu is dead. As am I. But…that is not correct, is it?” He looked at her. “Am I a god, then?”

“You are not.” The Air whispered.

“Then…what have I become, then?”

“You are what you have always been: Gilgamesh, the King of Man, whose name will be forever legend.”

Gilgamesh closed his eyes and smirked, but there was little in the expression.

“I have tossed aside the chains of my Mortality.” He said, holding up the literal chain that had been left behind. “I do not understand what it is that has occurred, but I have grieved in both this life and the one before it. All that is left for me is action.”

“What will you do, then, King of Man?”

“…I met Enlil, who Enkidu cursed. It is, perhaps, due to the will of Enlil that I am yet alive. But it is, perhaps, due to the will of Enlil that Enkidu is dead. Lady of the Air, what should I do? For Enlil is Uncle to me as a son of Anu and he rules all between Heaven and Earth.”

“Care not about the blood you share, for it is not something for which you should feel pride. Let me tell you of Enlil, who thought and did shameful things and was cast from Dilmun. I shall reveal to you how he has grown more twisted yet, that you might harden your heart and cut away the wrongness from this world.”

The world around him melted away at the words of the wind, replaced quickly with images of the past.

The story of Enlil and his cruelty and plagues played out before his eyes, as if he had stood beside him, there in the past.

XxXXxX

When the tale was finished, the sun had left the sky and the world had grown dark.

“I have grown angry with Enlil, who rules between Heaven and Earth.” Gilgamesh said. “For what reason did he spread famine and drought? For what reason did he flood the Earth, until it was only by Enki’s grace that Atrahasis lived? He punishes men who have done no wrong and sends forth disasters to kill innocents, because he grew tired of their noise and then sits on his throne and asks as if he is just and has any right to lay claim to his crown?”

The King’s hands curled slowly into fists as the words fell from his mouth, but for a moment, he fell silent.

The wind trembled as he thought.

“I have killed gods before.” He said, finally, lifting his head.

“Then call upon your grandmother, who rules below the Earth, where Enlil holds no sway. She has become weak as she has been forgotten, but should you give her your protection, you will find she has no loyalty to Enlil.”

And so Gilgamesh agreed and called out to Uras and a cavern opened, barely large enough for a man. It closed behind him as he entered and he ventured deeper into the bowels of the Earth.

In a chamber beneath the Earth, he found Nanna, the Moon. He found Nergal and Ninazu of the underworld, and a river that ran beneath the earth, whose name was Enbilulu.

The Goddess of the Air spoke to her children.

“If you will obey me, we shall avenge the crimes of your father.”

The chamber immediately filled with fear.

“But to strike at our father is incorrect.” Nanna said.

The attention of the air focused completely on Nanna and looked into him.

“Have you fallen into your father’s sin, Nanna?” Ninlil asked.

“We cannot oppose him, mother.” Nanna said, fearfully. “For it is he who holds the Tablet of Destinies. Should we rise up against him, he would jerk tight the chains that bind us all and we would fall away into suffering and pain. We have no voice in the world of our father.”

“And even should we succeed,” Nergal began. “It is our Father who rules the empty spaces between Heaven and Earth and it is who holds them yet apart. If he should bring down the sky…”

“What then should we do, mother?”

“Forge his existence into a weapon. Cast him into the forge and pound his heart and blood and bones into a blade.” The air said, frighteningly calm. “What matters then, if the Heavens fall? Enlil once separated Heaven and Earth, from which he was born. A weapon made from him could do so again.”

Her logic was as sound as it was terrifying.

Ninazu, horrified, shook his head, but it was Enbilulu who spoke.

“It is not possible.”

“You fear this as well?” Ninlil asked.

“If it is not possible, then it will not happen.” Enbilulu said, remarkably stoic. “How can I be expected to do something that will not happen? I could toil every day and prepare every night, but this is a goal that is far beyond our reach. It is futile, mother.”

“We are, all of us, bound by the Tablet. In this world, there is only one that stands free, and it is not one of us.” Nanna said.

“He would cast us down and end us and take our glory away; we have no hope, mother.” Ninazu whispered.

Gilgamesh sneered in the darkness; are these the gods worshiped by men? These pitiful, broken creatures that could not even stand and fight?

He didn’t understand completely, but…

“Ninlil, do you ask for the impossible?” He asked, speaking for the first time and drawing the attention of all in the chamber.

The empty space beneath the earth was silent, but the attention of the air was focused solely on him.

For a moment, all was silent.

“I will do this deed.” The King said.

“King of Uruk, do not be a fool.” A new voice said as its owner entered. “You too are bound by the Tablet and you would share the same fate as any of us should you stand before your Uncle’s Throne.”

The Hero turned his gaze onto Ninurta, the God of Lagash.

He smiled, then, whether at the God or his words and strode passed him without even replying.

Ninurta watched the King go, a feeling growing within him that he did not understand; a deep and fathomless shame.

And when Ninlil spoke to her son, it did not change the feeling the King had inspired in him, for better or worse; it merely caste light upon its source.

“If Gilgamesh cannot overthrow Enlil, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in fear. And it may be that there has been set in his soul a fire greater than you know.”

There was a movement of air through the earth and then Ninlil was gone.

The children were left alone with their shame.

XxXXxX

God have mercy on my rolls... Servant Shiki's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Noir
    Killing Eyes...?
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Servant Shiki View Post
    Killing Eyes...?
    Just catching things up on this site, because this was something I'd already written and forgot to post.

God have mercy on my rolls... Servant Shiki's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Noir
    Ah, okay.
    Lancer x Archer OTP
    Spoiler:

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I still remember how the Prologue stunned me the first time I read this, and the awesome fight to come as well.

I'm really looking forward to see where you plan to take this, this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Daneel Rush View Post
    I still remember how the Prologue stunned me the first time I read this, and the awesome fight to come as well.

I'm really looking forward to see where you plan to take this, this time.
    Oh, cool. It's been awhile, Daneel; it's good to see you again. Hope I don't disappoint. Everything going okay?

XxXXxX

The wind took Gilgamesh away from the gods to a secret place beneath the Moon and stars, which blazed with an intensity that matched the mortal world’s Sun. The night could not be called dark, then, for the Heavens and the Earth were illuminated even then by the fire and the glory above.

“Where is Enlil?” Gilgamesh said, nodding to the Goddess in thanks before turning his eyes to the dazzling sky. “I shall go slay him now.”

The air around him shifted, ruffling his hair and cooling his sky. Despite everything that had happened—despite everything she had said—Gilgamesh sensed her hesitance in that gesture. She was frightened, though not for herself. She feared what may await him now, the rebuilder of her temple and restorer of her faith, should he not be up to this task.

But even so, she spoke.

“Enlil is everywhere between Heaven and Earth. It is only my power that hides you from his sight.”

“Then go now, Lady Ninlil, and return at dawn. I shall be done by then.”

And the wind left and the Lord of the Air filled the empty spaces left behind.

Gilgamesh took a deep breath and stated this:

“To serve the corrupt is not correct.”

The air that filled the space between Heaven and Earth shifted and suddenly the King stood before the throne of a God, atop the Mountain Kur-Gal, who was both the mountain and the God that rested atop it.

Before him, Enlil slouched upon his throne and contemplated him.

“Gilgamesh,” He said.

“Enlil.”

There was a moment of silence like the calm before the storm as Gilgamesh observed Enlil in turn.

“You have gone mad and grown corrupt and your actions lead to suffering for the innocents over which you claim to rule.”

“Yes.” Enlil acknowledge.

“Why?”

“This is the world I have chosen to create and this is the way I have chosen to rule it. Is that not my right? Is it not my right to rule my kingdom in the way I see fit? Surely, you would agree to being allowed to rule as you choose.”

Gilgamesh tilted his head to the side and narrowed his eyes.

But he said nothing.

“I am a God of this world. I created this world when I split the Heavens and the Earth and it is by my will that life is allowed to grow upon it. Should this world not then bow before me, King of Uruk? Should you not worship me with prayers and with sacrifices, Gilgamesh? For I am your God and your maker and destroyer. I have dominion over all the realms of the World and great is my wrath when I am displeased. I am Enlil, King of Uruk, not some child to be talked down too by the like of you. Do you not know? I tower over the Gods as I tower over you!”

Gilgamesh said nothing still, breathing slowly. He watched the God before him as he spoke, noting the words even as he noted the way they were said. There was nothing in his voice but calmness and conviction—the tone of someone who truly, absolutely believed in every word he spoke, as if they were fact and truth and the way the Universe worked.

Truly, you have gone mad, Lord of the Open Places.

But Gilgamesh could not ignore the images that he had been shown. Ninlil had showed him what had done to Enlil as well as what he had done in turn. The God before him was a monster and a killer of thousands, a madman blinded by his own arrogance and power, but he had not always been so. Enlil had once made the world and been kind—had once been seen as a model of kingship to men.

So he looked at the man who had saved his life and looked as well at the man who killed his only friend, and he saw his virtues and his faults and he said:

“I understand.”

And:

“I’m going to kill you now.”

And Enlil smiled, as if the words were a joy to hear. He lifted himself from his slouch and instead leaned back in his chair, languid and sure of his superiority and spoke thus.

“And if I forbid it?”

“The God of this World,” Gilgamesh said. “Has chosen to create a World that brings suffering and pain to all within it. Who am I to go against the will of my God? I must bow to him—”

And here he bowed low at the waist.

“—And worship him—”

He closed his eyes and swiftly uttered a prayer as he had taught his people to do.

“—And sacrifice to him.”

He rose and lifted his hands—the hands that had wrestled with and slain Gugalanna, the Bull of Heaven, and took both wood and a Gods life from the Cider Forest—knuckles cracking and fists ready for what lay ahead.

Enlil had trouble finding an answer to that.

“It’s the law passed down upon this world by its God.” Gilgamesh stated seriously. “And it must be obeyed, even by a King such as myself.”

“…Who are you, Gilgamesh?”

“I am the King of Heroes,” He said. “I am the answer to the prayers of Gods and Men alike. I am the one who is going to tear down your World.”

And for a moment, Enlil’s heart was struck with fear, for it is the Nature of Dup Shimati to respond to the will of the highest, and who would stand against him knowing that but one stronger than him?

And yet, Dup Shimati was still his.

The racing heart of the God calmed and he laughed.

Gilgamesh watched the mad, laughing god but did not yet act.

When the laughter died down, Enlil smirked at Gilgamesh and shook his head.

“You are not up to the task, King of Uruk.”

He stood.
    Last edited by Ryuugi; December 16th, 2012 at 07:32 PM.

Woah.

Insta-Faved.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by VelspertheCat View Post
    “Reincarnate into a cooler cat. Maybe I'll give a damn then.”
    Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    "Live Slow, Die Whenever."
    Quote Originally Posted by kay4today View Post
    If I got a cent everytime I read "Mou~" in a Nanoha fic, I could buy a yacht and laugh at poor people.

Blog Entries
    A most interesting story. Continue, and we shall see what happens.
    I'm not famous. My conscience is.

Blog Entries
    Loving it.
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle whosaidthat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Uhmm, Ryuugi, aren't you supposed to say something here?
    Fate/Core Hero [Fate Stay Night/???]

Quote Originally Posted by whosaidthat View Post
    Uhmm, Ryuugi, aren't you supposed to say something here?
    Already modified the first post, but sure. In case anyone hasn't seen the change to the original post, I added a disclaimer after it was brought to my attention that I'd forgotten to transfer the original disclaimer from the first version of this fic over to this one. If you haven't seen it, this is what it says:

'Disclaimer: Based off of the writing style and works of Jenna Moran, Exalted and Nobilis Author, as well as the works of Kinoko Nasu and Takeuchi Takeshi.'

The edit was made at 6:07PM yesterday, my time, and it should say something to that effect at the bottom of the first post. My bad for having forgotten it in the first place.

Edit: Also, if you're reading KEAFH, I've added a disclaimer there as well, which I also forgot. Again, my bad.
    Last edited by Ryuugi; December 18th, 2012 at 06:44 PM.

Asshats don't cease when they die but after folk forget what made them fun LunarLegend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryuugi View Post
    'Disclaimer: Based off of the writing style and works of Jenna Moran, Exalted and Nobilis Author, as well as the works of Kinoko Nasu and Takeuchi Takeshi.'
    I am so turned on right now.

Carry on! I command it! This tale brings me pleasure!