Page 1 of 19 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning Japanese.

Why am I holding a scale? The Curious Fan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Learning Japanese.

This is a thread for people to help me find resources necessary for learning Japanese (and for people to point and laugh at my failures of which there will probably be many).

For starters, could someone explain what all the written forms of Japanese are? I've heard there are several.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    It's 100% even. Alexander was naturally gifted with a huge penis, but Archer, who was born hopelessly average, nevertheless attained a huge penis through years of jelqing and penis pumping.
    "Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    Clearly, immersing himself in excessive grimdark has turned Gen into a warlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Five_X
    Zelretch: Time travelling sex offender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    If the HGW was fought between Indian heroes Fuyuki would be a smoking crater.

Like this Facebook page please: https://www.facebook.com/EvilHatProductions

For starters, there is
    I'm too young to die
    , basically sets of syllables to write/read stuff.
    Nightmare!
    are the shitload of more complicated symbols that you'd be having most trouble with.
    are hiragana/katakana over/next to kanji explaining how to read them for noobs like us.
    Last edited by Enhance; December 31st, 2012 at 10:21 AM.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    There's Hiragana, which is used for Japanese words, Katakana for Foreign words, and Kanji for also Japanese words so they don't take as long to write out.

Fuck Kanji.

Blog Entries
    Learn Katakana and Hiragana Learn Kanji. Simple...I mean... not but its not impossible

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTA View Post
    Fuck Kanji.
    No, Kanji is the only thing that gives Japanese any discernible form. Take it away, you have no context and everything is just a phonetic sound.

Also, there's romaji, when you spell out a Japanese word with the English ("Roman") lettering system. But don't bother much with it, because it's a crutch you don't want when learning Japanese.

Blog Entries
    Kanji and Hiragana was easy enough... Part I hate most about Japanese is Katakana, useless bullcrap. Japanese has to be one of the most (if not most) inefficient languages in the world

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Also, there's romaji, when you spell out a Japanese word with the English ("Roman") lettering system. But don't bother much with it, because it's a crutch you don't want when learning Japanese.
    It's more for the foreign guys, after all, to understand how to read those squiggles.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by creativebasterd View Post
    Kanji and Hiragana was easy enough... Part I hate most about Japanese is Katakana, useless bullcrap. Japanese has to be one of the most (if not most) inefficient languages in the world
    Learning katakana should make learning kanji easier. Discerning kata flows into discerning kanji.

As for the inefficiency part, I could argue there, but I don't feel like it. I don't know Korean either so I can't put you in the box with roman script languages.
    Last edited by Enhance; December 31st, 2012 at 10:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    There's Hiragana, which is used for Japanese words, Katakana for Foreign words, and Kanji for also Japanese words so they don't take as long to write out.

Fuck Kanji.
    They have unique symbols for individual words? That is going to be a pain to memorise.
    Spoiler:
    It's 100% even. Alexander was naturally gifted with a huge penis, but Archer, who was born hopelessly average, nevertheless attained a huge penis through years of jelqing and penis pumping.
    "Did not see some of it coming AT ALL--crazy ramifications for Dresdenverse" - Anne Sowards 08/03/12 on Twitter regarding Cold Days

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, they adopted it from the Chinese.

Blog Entries
    I know katakana but really never really understood why they had to add such an inefficient language system into their already broken language structure. If not for Japanese language Japan wouldn't have ended up becoming an international recluse like they are right now

Quote Originally Posted by The Curious Fan View Post
    They have unique symbols for individual words? That is going to be a pain to memorise.
    It's the main part that makes Japanese harder than most languages.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by creativebasterd View Post
    I know katakana but really never really understood why they had to add such an inefficient language system into their already broken language structure. If not for Japanese language Japan wouldn't have ended up becoming an international recluse like they are right now
    I don't think it bothers them that much

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhance View Post
    It's the main part that makes Japanese harder than most languages.
    I'm going to want a list of what each Kanji means for the more obscure ones, aren't I?
    Spoiler:

Anyway, I could share some experience with you that I got after learning 6 or so languages (excluding programming/markup ones), but my conclusions might as well be personal to me (they're actually not but it takes a lot to understand them), you can bump me in pm or whatever messaging system you can think of.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Curious Fan View Post
    I'm going to want a list of what each Kanji means for the more obscure ones, aren't I?
    I don't think you want a list.

Into that mountain we go! Gaterjhonz's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm learning kanji first before katakana and hiragana; does that make me weird?
    Not so Mega Sig, now properly spoilered
    Spoiler:
    [20:39] <Fishie> I'MA GO PUT HER UNDEREWAR ON MY HEAD LIKE A SALARY PERSON
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Come visit the 7th Dimension--Where nightmares dreams are made into realities

[23:50] <Sieg> Gater is golddigging deviant?

[11:59] <TheoReforged> I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW
    [11:59] <TheoReforged> YOU'RE .... ROADBUSTER!
    [12:00] <@Leo> i'm sorry but that's retarded
    [12:00] <Irondefiler> *cricket sounds*

Beast's Lair's own Dwarf Fortress succession game is now recruiting mighty able dwarves, sign up if you have what it takes!

Blog Entries
    memorize 2000+ kanji be acquainted with them enough to use them in your everyday life and you'll have no trouble striding through the streets of Akihabara like your resident Otaku... Took me nearly two years to do half that and I still can't write them perfectly

^in fact by my experience that's not a very bad Idea at all.

Quote Originally Posted by GaterJ4wz View Post
    Yes

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it bothers them that much

It's also helpful in sentence structure. If you have a bunch of hiragana, which is mostly used for structure and grammatical technicalities rather than proper words, kanji and katakana are what separates out the terms used in a sentence. Katakana especially helps because there's no capitalization or things like italics in Japanese, so on top of it being used for loan words, it is usually the form they have for proper words that need a kind of emphasis or focus.

You see it that way in manga, btw, if you need an example. Katakana is usually what they use for onomatopoeia sound effects in panels, or sometimes a character will shout another character's name in it rather than the hiragana or kanji the name actually uses for emphasis or exclamation.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GaterJ4wz View Post
    It makes you Chinese.

Into that mountain we go! Gaterjhonz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't think you want a list.
    What with like 33,000* or so symbols?

*someone correct me on this if its wrong.

It makes you Chinese.
    But I'm Filipino my life is a freaking lie! D:
    Last edited by Gaterjhonz; December 31st, 2012 at 10:40 AM.
    Not so Mega Sig, now properly spoilered
    Spoiler:
    [20:39] <Fishie> I'MA GO PUT HER UNDEREWAR ON MY HEAD LIKE A SALARY PERSON
    the whole story here

A travel Advisory:
    Spoiler:

Come visit the 7th Dimension--Where nightmares dreams are made into realities

[23:50] <Sieg> Gater is golddigging deviant?

[11:59] <TheoReforged> I KNOW WHO YOU ARE NOW
    [11:59] <TheoReforged> YOU'RE .... ROADBUSTER!
    [12:00] <@Leo> i'm sorry but that's retarded
    [12:00] <Irondefiler> *cricket sounds*

Beast's Lair's own Dwarf Fortress succession game is now recruiting mighty able dwarves, sign up if you have what it takes!

Blog Entries
    you need learn only 2000 Kanji combinations for academic purpose. 1000 for your everyday life...the actual figure however is much higher than that. There's not a single japanese that knows the entire kanji combinations available out there