Page 15 of 84 FirstFirst ... 5101314151617202565 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beast's Lair Fanfic Contest (2013 Edition) (Discussion Thread)

Blog Entries
    Yay! We can make up now instead of beating each other to death!
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Blog Entries
    No, beating each other to death is too much fun.

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    No, beating each other to death is too much fun.
    ...No, Kohaku, not that kind of beating.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Blog Entries
    All looks good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Alright. I'll wait for Elf and (ideally) Mil's opinions before editing Mil's post to reflect that, but I'm fairly sure it's happening.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    ...No, Kohaku, not that kind of beating.
    It worries me that you have to tell her something like that.

Blog Entries
    The wave motion cannon is firing all over the place!
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    If you have a drama piece that has action in it, the action serves to up the dramatic tension. If you have an action piece with drama in it, the drama should serve to emotionally heighten the action. Are you trying to get people to identify with Martin Brody, or are you trying to get them to freak out when Jaws jumps on the boat?
    Okay, this metaphor wins at life, just saying.

An other thing, I know we don't have a "general" category, but something that was picking my brain is what happens if someone write something with pretty much all the categories? Like say there's drama, there's some humor, some romance, and some action. That's what I'm worried about. Something that doesn't sit neatly on the shelf.

Here's what I'm thinking:
    • Toss the "10k word limit" as it's awfully confusing. Instead, simply make it a recommendation (but not a requirement) that stories try to fit within 10k words.
    • Add Romance as a category. Naturally, the focus of these stories will be characters developing at least a close, and possibly intimate, relationship. People who feel the need for some smut, but don't want to make it the entire focus of the story, and would rather have us score on a more "full-bodied" story would do well to have a story here, but naturally, smut is not required in this category if the author feels less-than-confident in their ability to write it, or just plain feels it is not necessary. The focus here is the relationship, the feelings, and the emotions between the characters - not the potential result of those.
    • Add Lemon as a category. In this, the focus IS about the smut, so it's mandatory, and in this case, technicals plus artistry would be basically how well written the smut is from a skill point of view as well as its hotness, whether things go at a realistic pace or if girls are just dropping their panties while already magically sopping wet, etc. However, just because it's lemon, does not mean it will not be scored against the rubric, so things like characterization will still apply. In other words, if you have Shirou going and seducing the track girls one by one, there'd still better be an attempt to make them all in-character, or to have a plausible explanation as to why they'd be different, otherwise your score in that rubric will drop. Don't expect Pimp Emiyas to work well without some serious cleverness. (Rin controls the harem anyway, let's be honest.)
    • Remove "Overall" as a scoring rubric (really, isn't our final score basically the overall one?), put its 10 points into "Characterization" instead. Thus the scoring becomes 30 Technical, 30 Artistry, 20 Characterization, 10 Concept, 10 Uniqueness = 100 points total. This weighs points in the things that will really matter.

How does that sound?
    That's cool, I'm up for that.

Just remember, I'm judging, and I will be harder on a lemon than a normal fic. :3

https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Jennifer...language=en_US

Forest is a vampire who's a bit too good for her own good and doesn't know when to leave things alone. Armed with a ridiculously large hand gun, martial arts skills, a bitching pony car, and a love for pop culture she fights the forces of evil. Urban Fantasy 80's Style.

Elfgasm: The phenomenon that occurs among the general populace whenever a certain user who has been claimed to wear jackboots and is pointy-eared posts an idea or updates and is met with majority approval to the point of near-zeal as a result of said poster's popularity with the writing crowd.

Um, I'd like to ask if it is breaking any rules if I have some help fine tuning a servant stat sheet over at the Create-a-servant thread.... Uh, kind of posted one there.... please don't kill me

Don't @ me if your fanfic doesn't even have Shirou/Illya shipping k thnx ItsaRandomUsername's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    NA? More like N/A!
    Blog Entries
    Alrighty. I've decided. Definitively put me down for action, though there will be some drama in there as well.

Action ahoy.
    McJon01: We all know that the real reason Archer would lose to Rider is because the events of his own Holy Grail War left him with a particular weakness toward "older sister" types.
    My Fanfics. Read 'em. Or not.

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    • Remove "Overall" as a scoring rubric (really, isn't our final score basically the overall one?), put its 10 points into "Characterization" instead. Thus the scoring becomes 30 Technical, 30 Artistry, 20 Characterization, 10 Concept, 10 Uniqueness = 100 points total. This weighs points in the things that will really matter.
    Well, if the judges want to comment how they would rate the fic overall, and how much they liked it, they could just put an unofficial scoring at the end that wouldn't have any influence on the final score.

Adding 10 more points into Characterization seems alright to me, but I still see some problems with how things currently are. I am still opposed as putting 30 points into Technical, as it seems too much. Furthermore, technical problems are something that can be easily solved by using many betas.

And there is still the problem of the Uniqueness score, as not only it is somewhat hard to define, but is of dubious importance for the enjoyment of a fic, or for fic writing in general.

I suggest, at least for now, that we should remove 10 points from Technical and put them in Concept.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dminon View Post
    Um, I'd like to ask if it is breaking any rules if I have some help fine tuning a servant stat sheet over at the Create-a-servant thread.... Uh, kind of posted one there.... please don't kill me
    As long as this has nothing to do with your eventual entry, there should be no problem.

If it does... well, remember, we're going to judge stories based on the content in and of itself. The judges are not going to read other things for "details" on your story - everything should stand on its own within the story itself.

Quote Originally Posted by RacingeR View Post
    Well, if the judges want to comment how they would rate the fic overall, and how much they liked it, they could just put an unofficial scoring at the end that wouldn't have any influence on the final score.
    Thing is, we already do that in a general sense, whether the score is there or not. I just feel no need to give up to 10 points formally for summing up their review, when realistically all the judges will probably do this anyway out of force of habit, and really the final score they give is supposed to be their overall score of the fic as opposed to "overall" being a 10 point tally which... then gets tallied into a final score. Just makes little sense to me. Last year, I literally calculated my "Overall" score by adding the four other categories together, dividing by four, and rounding as appropriate.

All the judges (and Mil) have agreed to this change, however, so it's going to go into effect.

Adding 10 more points into Characterization seems alright to me, but I still see some problems with how things currently are. I am still opposed as putting 30 points into Technical, as it seems too much. Furthermore, technical problems are something that can be easily solved by using many betas.
    It should be, but we definitely got fics last year that still had technical errors. Furthermore, if you do really horribly at the technical side of writing it, it will cause serious detriment to the enjoyability of your fic - so it's one of the two most "weighted" to basically allow the judges to grade it with finer precision. In other words, instead of going "A, B, C, D, F" like the 10-pointers, these allow us to go "A+, A, A-, B+..."

And there is still the problem of the Uniqueness score, as not only it is somewhat hard to define, but is of dubious importance for the enjoyment of a fic, or for fic writing in general.
    That's why Uniqueness is only worth up to 10 points. After all, you can have the neatest idea in the world... but if your technical writing sucks, if your artistry at making it work is subpar, and your characters aren't where they should be, is Uniqueness going to magically elevate your fic? The natural answer is no.

I suggest, at least for now, that we should remove 10 points from Technical and put them in Concept.
    That allows one to simply reward one who has a good concept but lacking in the other areas. A good concept will draw you in, but again, if everything else is off, is it likely to keep readers around and interested? I don't feel so, and neither do the other judges.

They've all agreed to my proposed changes, so I am going to be updating the first post in the thread shortly to reflect those (after I go through the last few pages and see if anyone needs to be moved over). If anyone would like to be moved to the new Romance or Lemon categories, let me know and I'll shuffle you off in their direction.

Also, I'd like to announce that I've decided I'll be giving prizes to the winners: The top-placing person in each category will be allowed to request me to do a fanfic for them (up to about 7500 words or so). Contents are completely and totally up to the winner. I will eventually be putting these up elsewhere, of course, but the winners will be the ones to tell me what they want to see, and they'll be the first to get to see them. The grand prize winner may also be able to get an extra prize, depending on certain factors (which I would have to ask the winner about).

Hopefully that sweetens the pot a little more!

Old Quote Crap!

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, pls reduce technical further.

I am no good grammar, would like better if weighted less than actual what makes a story things.
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    Pls make all grammar.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    Yeah, pls reduce technical further.

I am no good grammar, would like better if weighted less than actual what makes a story things.
    You no good grammer, you has beta reed.

(Also, Artistry is an equal score to Technical, so when you get down to it, grammar is equal to "how awesomely written it is.")

Old Quote Crap!

Blog Entries
    So what you are saying is that you make a good third of the score for a given piece dependent on the choice of beta?

Does this contest have some kind of required friendship-destroying quota I don't know about?

Blog Entries
    I can't, I and all of my friends are alpha as fuck.

Blog Entries
    So what you are saying is that you make a good third of the score for a given piece dependent on the choice of beta?
    Nope, I'm saying that if between you and your derpy friends you can't figure out spelling mistakes, grammar errors, and so on, you probably deserve to get docked a bit. Realistically, someone who is thorough and goes over the fic should get 25 points in technical easy, and even with a few mistakes, you basically would have to be terrible to get anything under 20.

The only difference is that as-is, we'd give you 10 out of 30, whereas if we removed 10 points, you'd be getting 7 out of 20. It's still going to reflect the "general amount" for lack of a better phrase, just with better shades to do it in.

I can't, I and all of my friends are alpha as fuck.
    To quote George Carlin, "I'm an Alpha Male on Beta-Blockers."

Old Quote Crap!