Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: General Team Sports Thread

I know. The Warriors always make for entertaining games. So do the Bulls, for that matter.

Dat Stephen Curry.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    In the major sports news of the day Sir Alex Ferguson retired as manager of Manchester United after 27 years.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    In other news: Roberto Mancini was seen crying tears of joy earlier today.

Quote Originally Posted by KENTA View Post
    In other news: Roberto Mancini was seen crying tears of joy earlier today.
    Which was quite inexplicable, since he won't be around to witness a Fergie-less league next season.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Really? I thought he was staying with Shitty.

If every boss in the world was as forgiving to utter incompetence as Sheikh Mansour, the Earth would be a much happier place.

I shudder to think what a squad such as Shitty's, constantly being pumped more oil money, would do with a proper manager and not a clown.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Seriously though, how do you fire the guy that won you the league last year, and got you 2nd this year? I agree he's not great, but there's no precedent to it. Unless you want to be Chelsea.

Last season's PL was United's to lose, and they managed to self-implode in the worst way possible. And still two injury-time goals against a side that stopped playing the moment they knew they wouldn't be relegated were needed. Seriously, with firepower of City's caliber, poor showings like the draws with Stoke and West Ham (in which they were tactically outwitted) at critical junctures of the season are unacceptable.

They can be so good, except they choose to rely on individual brilliance instead of tactics, and that can only get you so far.
    Last edited by Leftovers; May 8th, 2013 at 07:29 PM.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    I dunno, I think a team like Shitty can't really work. A lot like PSG, just buying the best players available doesn't always work. If they can't gel together or if you don't have a real vision it's only going to take you so far, and I think last year was as good as they're going to get. A lot of the blame can go to Mancini, but I think the experiment just failed.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors BlackField's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Its pretty surreal to think there's no Sir Alex at United anymore.

I dunno, I think a team like Shitty can't really work. A lot like PSG, just buying the best players available doesn't always work. If they can't gel together or if you don't have a real vision it's only going to take you so far, and I think last year was as good as they're going to get. A lot of the blame can go to Mancini, but I think the experiment just failed.
    I don't think so. Unlike PSG they have a solid core of very good players that have been together for nearly three years now. With Kompany as your captain, solid wing backs in Kolarov and Richards, the tireless trinity of Yaya, Silva and Martinez in the mid (and the former footballer known as Nasri), and Tevez-Aguero-Dzeko up front, this is a championship team. But they are still inconsistent.

Meanwhile, the Chicago Bulls have balls of steel. Literally everyone is injured, and they're still fighting (and winning).

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    I love the Bulls so much. I'm a huge lelbron fan, but god damn do I love the Bulls and their heart.

The Eastern Conference went from predicted borefest to extremely entertaining pre~tty fast. Knicks vs Pacers grudge match and the Bulls defying the odds and common logic? YES PLEASE

It's also breathtaking to watch the new heights Stephen Curry elevates himself to one game at a time.

Seriously though, how do you fire the guy that won you the league last year, and got you 2nd this year? I agree he's not great, but there's no precedent to it. Unless you want to be Chelsea.
    Oh there's precedent for it all right Real Madrid have sacked managers after they won the league as well as after winning the Champions league.

The managers involved were Vicente Del Bosque and Jupp Heynckes. And that's in the year they actually won the trophy.

Heynckes was sacked because Madrid finished fourth in La Liga, IIRC. And del Bosque's case was a combination of lobbying by some of the players and "lol Pérez".

Still have to question the logic of firing someone after they got you the biggest prize in Club Football

Currently since Abrahamovich brought Chelsea, Real Madrid lead in the number of Managers sacked. We're making a tight race of it though we're both going to sack our Managers this season.

In all seriousness, Chelsea have two criteria either of which will be met before you get sacked.

1. You end the season with no trophies (EPL or CL)

2. Mid Season Sackings, the team looks to be in real danger of missing out on CL
    Last edited by Orange; May 9th, 2013 at 12:10 PM.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    So David Moyes eh?

Dunno, the fact that Ferguson hasn't hinted towards absolute retirement from the sport makes me think he'll still be involved with the club, just in an executive position. That's not to say Moyes will be his sockpuppet, but his words carry a lot of weight.

Hohohoho~ Nice job Wigan!

Close the door on your way out, Roberto. Here comes, in all probability, Pellegrini.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Good call there. Yeah, I guess after losing the FA Cup to fucking Wigan of all teams you have to be booted out.