Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: General Team Sports Thread

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    The riding the wave of immense fortune thing, We can go way back and trace the successful period of any club to a time when they got a massive injection of cash.

Next it was ironically an year in which we did not spend that we became champions.

Lastly the rules are now structured in such a way that those who qualify now will forever shut the door on those who don't because of the vast difference in cash and the spending restrictions imposed due to FFP

Chelsea are now 5th in the world in cash generation behind Manchester United, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Barcelona all of whom have bigger stadiums.
    So ya I'm feeling pretty good especially with the news that Mourinho will probably be back next year.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Honestly, considering how lucky Chelsea were last year.......you might be right.

It was luck combined with the fact that Barca don't have a plan B and Bayern being Chokers. I couldn't believe some of the outrageous misses by Gomes and Robben.

But Cech was on top form and then we had the Drog who had scored in every cup final we competed in.

Mourinho setting the stage for an English comeback is encouraging, but we all know he's warming up for when Ferguson finally gets tired of collecting trophies. On the subject of last year's European champions (pffthahahaha), so many improbable things happened that I can't chalk it up to anything but sheer, unbridled luck, and maybe Drogba's force of will.

The moment Fernando bloody Torres, in all his post-2010 uselessness, scored to decide the tie IN THE FRIGGING CAMP NOU, I loled a hearty lol. When Muller scored in the 81st minute, I just smiiiiiled. Some things are just meant to be.

You know you're saying luck over and over again. Was their any refereeing decisions that went our way to make you believe that. We fought with ten men down to score 2 goals and win the tie against the best team in the world.

Next the tie against Napoli was won in the second leg at 4-1 after losing the first 3-1.

What about these results sounds like luck. I'll be the first to admit that it was nice but to put it down to just luck is'nt right.

Dude, I'm talking about Barcelona missing sitters all day in both ties, hitting the post twice, Messi missing a pen, Chelsea scoring 3 goals in 3 counterattacks in the whole tie, then Bayern missing everything even from 3 yards out, Cech playing his best games since he put on his head-protection, scoring at the death, then again Cech being immense. It was a triumph of parking-the-plane and hoping for the best. As for Napoli/Benfica, the former flopped like inexperienced teams often do when presented with the task to protect a first-leg result, the latter admittedly slapped Chelsea around and got burned (again) by a counterattack. Hardly a triumph of football, 2012 was.

Mind you, the utter ridonkulousness of Chelsea winning the CL was quite welcome to me, so don't take it as me dissing your team. But really, to say no luck was involved?

Of course Luck was involved. But what I'm saying is they made their own Luck by putting in an immense shift of World Class defending

Cech had studied 4 hrs worth of footage of Bayern Players taking PK's. He went the right way everytime

Mikel psyched out Robben by telling him he just won't score before he took the kick

Even Torres who I rather dislike won the corner that was converted by Drogba

Those players were a part of Chelsea's most successful era, ost of them have already been moved on with the rest to follow this year. It's kinda sad really.

I'm glad we got lucky and they got their final Hurrah.

Messi has never scored against us and that run stretches to 9 matches now.

Hell, I'm glad too that Cech and Drogba got a CL at last (Terry not so much), I would just prefer if they had won it with the fantastic 2005 team, or at least that of 2009 that got robbed in the semifinal.

The future looks bright with both Lukaku and Kevin De Bruyne ready for first team action after their loans.

It all depends on the manager now. Anyone else think that Belgium can give a good showing at the World Cup.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Switching gears a bit, watching this highlight reel legitimately brought nostalgia tears to my eyes. Holy fuck was this team amazing.

AggroAnnabelle
    Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStorm666 View Post
    The future looks bright with both Lukaku and Kevin De Bruyne ready for first team action after their loans.

It all depends on the manager now. Anyone else think that Belgium can give a good showing at the World Cup.
    Belgium looking ridiculous. Hazard, Kompany, Mirallas are just three. Future football superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by AggroAnnabelle View Post
    Belgium looking ridiculous. Hazard, Kompany, Mirallas are just three. Future football superpower.
    Most Of their first 11 are starters for premier league clubs.

Fellaini, Vertongnen, Courtois (Athletico Madrid), Kevin De Bruyne( Werder Bremen), Benteke etc. They have an outside chance at the world cup. A real long shot though.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    So the 2013 NFL draft's first three rounds are in the books, and my team (the Bears) addressed two key positions: LB and guard. Plus, the Bears' first-rounder is the son of the legendary Howie Long; that has to count for something.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Any news on the Vikes?

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Vikes had a pretty good draft. Sharriff Floyd was a steal, Xavier Rhodes is a good CB, and Cordarelle Patterson is either going to be an enormous bust or an amazing pickup. They weren't really able to do much after that(other than picking up a punter WAY too early) but those first rounders may make the Vikings much better next year.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear it. Hoping that they won't need to rely on Peterson as much this year.

Stupid sexy Germans.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    7-0

That is all.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    God damn that Warriors/Spurs game.

GOD DAMN!