Page 1 of 17 123611 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does your username come from?

Blog Entries

Where does your username come from?

This is a post so we can share our stories on how we decided our nicknames.

Basically, "Optimus" is the nickname I used back in NGamer Spain. There, when I registered, I had no idea on which nickname to choose. It caught me reading some shit about Roman culture, exactly on a page which said "Jupiter Optimus Maximus", so I chose Optimus from there, lol.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    KENTA is the name of one of my favorite wrestlers. I went through a short period of time after Mitsuharu Misawa's death where I would use Japanese wrestler names for my screen name. It went Misawa, to Kawada, to Kobashi, to KENTA. KENTA was the only one not in Japanese. Originally I was that one guy, and the name came from a general feeling that everyone knew who I was but not my name IRL, so to them I was that one guy. I figured I'd transfer it online.

It was randomly assigned to me on some other website, and it stuck.
    It was created as a combination of the first 2 letters of my first name, and the first letter of my last name, followed by the year I joined.

Shitty, isn't it?
    In Tohsaka we trust

Blog Entries
    Milbunk is a random name for a Gnome Warlock in WoW. I thought it was catchy and I've been using it the past 7 seven years.

True Golden Bear King of BLING Theocrass's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A combination of theocrat and crass.

Ask TIK - Where all your important life questions can be answered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 06adi View Post
    It was randomly assigned to me on some other website, and it stuck.
    It was created as a combination of the first 2 letters of my first name, and the first letter of my last name, followed by the year I joined.

Shitty, isn't it?
    Eh, no. Like I said, my username comes from a random latin phrase I didn't even know the meaning of.

It's cool like everyone else's here.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

True Golden Bear King of BLING Theocrass's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wait, your name has NOTHING to do with Optimus Prime?

Ask TIK - Where all your important life questions can be answered.

Blog Entries
    I guess? Optimus Prime comes from latin Optimus, and that. But... In the end, not really.

Ginger Magus
    I booted up SMT Nocturne while eating some cereal and started a new game. It required me to enter a first and a last name for my character. I looked at my bowl of cereal and bastardized that word into 'Certis'. Since I needed a last name as well, I looked around in my room once more and saw a balloon. Repeating the earlier process, the name became Certis Baliano.

It's my name.

...No, really.

I was surfing around maybe six or seven years ago looking for who knows what, when I came across this site translating names (ie their original meanings) into Tolkien's Elvish. My result:

BENJAMIN (m.) - Heb. 'son of the right hand' and also 'son of the south'; unfortunately Quenya word for "south" hyarmen is related to hyarya "left", while Hebrew word for "right hand" is related to "south", but Hyarion (-ion "son") would be good
    I thought the name sounded pretty awesome, not to mention I'm a Tolkien fan, so before too long I'd switched screennames and it stuck.

Blog Entries
    im a bird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    -Was on iichan or something.
    -Was checking out the ridiculous niche boards there. Think it was the board about crying or something. Yeah, crying.
    -There was a thread about the School Days eroge, specifically Kotonoha in some bad end
    -"Huh, interesting name"
    -I steal it, nobody's going to know where it came from anyway and I needed a new username that wasn't being used by a million other people
    -School Days anime comes out a few years later
    -Goddamn it

Quote Originally Posted by Hyarion View Post
    It's my name.

...No, really.

I was surfing around maybe six or seven years ago looking for who knows what, when I came across this site translating names (ie their original meanings) into Tolkien's Elvish. My result:

I thought the name sounded pretty awesome, not to mention I'm a Tolkien fan, so before too long I'd switched screennames and it stuck.
    Reminds me I might as well explain "neyLa" (old BL login name) for Zex or whoever else cares... I used some Elvish name generator thing (don't think it was that one, it was less... er, scientific?), got "Enelya", used it for a username somewhere, realized too late I typoed it as "Eneyla", use it anyway, drop the E for some reason, capitalize the L for absolutely no reason. The end.

Blog Entries
    Years ago I needed to create a nick for some forums, and I wanted it to have some reference to my real name. My childhood pet name Maa (shortening of my real name) means the Earth in Finnish, so I picked one of the Earth's other names. I didn't want to be Mother Earth or Tellus or such, but I had always liked Gaia since I heard it first time, and I'm even a fan of the planet Gaia in Asimov's Foundation and Earth.

So I became Gaia, the goddess of the Earth. Worship me!
    Small but dangerous!

My boring Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by mirakura View Post
    Cute things are cute.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Hey Koto.......what about Neyla?

Blog Entries
    > Becomes fan of the trap named Ruca Milda,but no username change yet.
    > Joins RP on a certain forum, using Ruca Milda as my character
    > Becomes TOMODATCHIIIIIIS with the other RPers
    > New RPers join
    > Start calling me by my character name for no reason
    > It stuck.

To this day I am still referenced as "Krats" by RP oldies, and "Ruca" by new RP people from there.
    <Spinach> Yes Verg
    <Spinach> I need this
    <Spinach> Yessss

<Satehi> don't do it malgos
    <Satehi> don't
    <Satehi> yamete

<@RacingeR> Laputa would only fit if it was Kratos

Hitokiri comes from the Japanese word meaning "Man-Slayer," and Nanaya of course is Shiki's "true" last name

There's nothing wrong with killing someone, even if you like them.

I chose my name as self-deprecation and as a Take That (y'know...cus I'm Asian). All these OC characters I read about are stupid strong and perfect, and I thought of the Types in the Nasuverse as the strongest and perfect things in it. Since Types embody their planet, I figure I would embody the idea of wanting to be a Type, IE, the strongest. So, TypeWannabe. As in, a fan's odd desire for their character to be the toughest one in their fanfiction.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

anamesis
    Bastardized latin? Somwhere in Ergo Proxy.

I feel so cool.

Blog Entries
    jewish-baby eater

and sama, cus im narcissistic like that

IBooBies

Quote Originally Posted by Techlology View Post
    Well, my dick just went Beast Mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by terraablaze View Post
    Evangelion 3.33, Your Boner Can (Not) Rise

Bring is the codename of a character I had in one of my earlier doujin works. I scrapped the idea later on, but I liked the name. So Bring has become somewhat of a recurring name in my work and I often use it as a penname.
    Member of S.A.B.R.
    "Bonds are ties to each other. I don't think little of that. But the futures we're meant to walk won't come to us with bonds alone. You're responsible for living your own life. That applies even now. We're simply walking on the next stage, is all." - Fudo Yusei