Page 282 of 282 FirstFirst ... 182232272277280281282
Results 5,621 to 5,637 of 5637

Thread: Mahoutsukai no Yoru

That's a weird thing though, like, so what? Do they prefer to have all the translation/fix attempts stopped so people can wait for their release (which they have been taking forever to do)? What if there is another TL or fix patch? It's not like it stops Mirror Moon from also doing their TL.

JP Friend Code
    nonexistant
    That isn't at all what anyone here said.
    You just shouldn't expect a member of the Hollow Moon project to snipe that very same project he is a part of.

My sock senses are tingling, but the account is 3 years old... Hmm...
    burn your dread you coward

I don't really get "sniping" though? Like, "how is it sniping?" is what I am saying. It sounded kinda weird. Like "Yeah, I've been asked to not release my fixes, so that people would be forced to wait for Hollow Moon/our other TL", like it's not a competition, right? Why does it matter to Hollow Moon if he releases or doesn't release something?
    Last edited by Username55; December 17th, 2023 at 05:27 PM.

I don't know, to me it sounds quite reasonable. Since he is a part of Hollow Moon translation project it would be, indeed quite weird for him to release fixes for official translation. Anyhow, if he says he doesn't want to then why not just respect his wishes, no?
    Rin ballin battin

So am I going insane, or are all the lowercase Gs in this game in an ever so slightly larger font size than the other letters? Could just be a scuffed typeface, though I didn't notice anything on the console version.
    Quote Originally Posted by T.H. White
    "If I were to be made a knight," said the Wart. staring dreamily into the fire, "[...] I should pray to God to let me encounter all the evil in the world in my own person, so that if I conquered there would be none left, and, if I were defeated, I would be the one to suffer for it."

Quote Originally Posted by Maedhros View Post
    So am I going insane, or are all the lowercase Gs in this game in an ever so slightly larger font size than the other letters? Could just be a scuffed typeface, though I didn't notice anything on the console version.
    It looks like they're not being placed on the baseline correctly. The first mostly-white pixel is 1 position higher than the base of the lowercase r, which is itself 1 pixel above the base of all the other letters with rounded bottoms. Some of the kerning is a bit messed up too I think (i and n look too close together, while y, e, and a are all too far apart, just on the first line in the game). At a guess, they're using DirectWrite with a font that wasn't designed for it (or rather, was designed for whatever engine they use on consoles). The game doesn't acutually load DirectWrite, so it's probably a broken in-house layout engine. It seems like the codebase for PC and Console releases are mostly unrelated (simply due to the total divergence of formats) so its very possible that the PC text renderer is actually just worse.
    Last edited by DaNike; December 19th, 2023 at 01:13 AM.

Comparison:

Switch (1.0.2):
    PC:

The Switch text is both smaller, and takes up more space. I suspect this is because it uses the text layout/renderer that is used for CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) text, which can be much simpler. It is also probably a font used for that. This also means that no kerning is done, which makes the text look strange overall, but it's consistent, so it's fine. The PC release, on the other hand, uses a larger font, probably actually intended for English text, and looks like it actually attempts kerning (see the "tl" in "nestled", for instance). I don't know if the renderer is bad or the font is, but either way, I think the kerning and baseline is messed up in several places, causing it to look a bit off.

I have noticed it as well, but I have been conditioned to deal with sub-optimal fonts in VNs by now so my brain just ignores it for me.
    Rin ballin battin

US Friend Code
    Thanks for your hard work.

Looks like it is a bit more than just typos, a couple lines also had some more descriptive text added back in. Primarily it's making everything sound better though.

Edit: Reading through more I can tell they did actually do a proper checking and it's not just typos. Obviously, it's still by and large the same translation but it doesn't feel lazy either, they changed whole lines sometimes.

For example:

Old:
    - You could, you know, ease off a little from time to time."
    -"Always trying to smooth things over with that silver tongue of yours."
    -"At least I'm trying. It's like you stopped bothering to be civil two years ago."
    -"I'm always civil-just not when you're in the same room."

New:
    + You're awfully harsh today, Aozaki."
    +"Maybe a little. This isn't exactly the time to make nice."
    +"Funny you mention that―I haven't seen you try to be civil at all in the last two years."
    +"Oh, I'm always civil―just not when you're in the same room."

Edit 2: They fixed Ether to be an Imaginary Factor instead of an Imaginary Element, funny lore fixes.
    Last edited by Paulie25; December 20th, 2023 at 03:14 AM.

US Friend Code
    Question on a translation thing

Spoiler:
    The first instance of the Souji Bear line is in Chapter 9 where it's "Why would anyone train against bears?" and then when it gets brought back up in Chapter 12 it's "Why would anyone train to fight bears?"

However, the new TL has the latter line instead as "Why did they train me to fight bears, of all things?" The first line is left the same, however.

My initial assumption was they just messed up this second line real bad for the new TL but thinking about it, in the OG Japanese TL is this line supposed to be a wordplay joke or something? I truthfully never fully got what the meaning of the line was specifically when I read Mahoyo besides "He's built different".

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    It's not a pun. It's genuinely just "Why would anyone need to train to beat bears?", nothing deeper.

Chapter 9 Aoko interprets the question as "training is unnecessary because even deep in the mountains there's no reason why anyone would set a fight against a bear as their goal".

Chapter 12 Aoko learns the intended meaning was actually "training is unnecessary because bears are scrubs".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    Some pantheons are depicted as Tamamo, while others are only potentially Tamamo.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    It's not a pun. It's genuinely just "Why would anyone need to train to beat bears?", nothing deeper.

Chapter 9 Aoko interprets the question as "training is unnecessary because even deep in the mountains there's no reason why anyone would set a fight against a bear as their goal".

Chapter 12 Aoko learns the intended meaning was actually "training is unnecessary because bears are scrubs".
    OK so the new translation for that line really is just weird now.

That’s really unfortunate since by and large the TL is improved, idk why it’s so hard to not check when a line is said earlier in a story and make sure it lines up. This was something that bothered me with CCC’s TL as well as I was playing it.

Wings of the Sunlit Sky Hermitfold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post

I just had an image of bears seeing Sojuurou in the woods and booking it like cockroaches do when I lift up my slipper to squash them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie25 View Post
    OK so the new translation for that line really is just weird now.

That’s really unfortunate since by and large the TL is improved, idk why it’s so hard to not check when a line is said earlier in a story and make sure it lines up. This was something that bothered me with CCC’s TL as well as I was playing it.
    I don't know, reading the new changed line with the rest of the paragraph has it fit the context there better imo.
    Spoiler:
    Going from "Why would anyone train to fight bears" to Aoko believing she heard him mention training against bears doesn't really make sense. They could've replaced the word "did" with "would" in the new line to have something that works in both contexts, but it's not that bad considering the OG translation wasn't the same word for word either.
    Last edited by Catastor; December 20th, 2023 at 03:40 PM.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Catastor View Post
    I don't know, reading the new changed line with the rest of the paragraph has it fit the context there better imo.
    Spoiler:
    Going from "Why would anyone train to fight bears" to Aoko believing she heard him mention training against bears doesn't really make sense. They could've replaced the word "did" with "would" in the new line to have something that works in both contexts, but it's not that bad considering the OG translation wasn't the same word for word either.
    Yeah but I assume then that the rest of the paragraph is wrong then and not that one line, so that should have been what was changed instead.

It makes sense in context of how they localized the paragraph but I don’t know.

Steam beta depot was just updated after a month without activity
    https://steamdb.info/app/2052410/his...ngeid=21702909