Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Humans in Type-Moon

Humans in Type-Moon

I read this somewhere before but just need confirmation.

Apparently, Humans in Type-Moon were much more powerful in the past when their connection to the Root was closer than what they are now in the modern world. So is it true that someone like Saber, a Servant, was capable of performing the feats she achieved as a Servant while she was still alive?

Blog Entries
    Yes. It being specifically because of a closer connection to the Root doesn't quite encapsulate the causes (though it's not entirely wrong), but Servants were at least on a level with their Holy Grail War selves, and if not then vastly more capable, during their lifetimes. Occasionally Berserker Servants are in a position such that Mad Enhancement pushes them past their old attributes, but that's the exception.
    Last edited by Seika; April 2nd, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

So does that mean that the study of Thaumaturgy focuses on looking towards the past rather than the future?

Blog Entries
    Rarely. The Einzbern are seeking to regain their lost Magic, but the general point of conventional magecraft is to play your part in the massive eugenics project that is building up your family's circuits, to make your contribution to the family Crest, and hope that it will eventually accumulate enough for a descendant far in the future to reach the Root. Of course you try yourself, somewhat, but currently most families think of it as pretty hopeless, like trying to get a standard car to fly just by driving it faster and faster (this is the simile used, IIRC).
    Last edited by Seika; April 2nd, 2013 at 08:15 AM.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    somewhat nonsequitur but

Blog Entries
    Context.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Humanity is almighty more accurately means "humanity can do anything". Not that humanity is all-powerful. It's just a translation artifact. Ciel is also called almighty, on account of her all-rounder fighting skills (martial arts, firearms, and magic). Barthomeloi's attribute is almighty because they're awesome at everything.

Japanese just uses that word slightly differently than we do.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    "Humanity is good at everything" is a pretty weird motto, though.

I like to think it means "unlimited potential" in this particular case.

Quote Originally Posted by Alejudis View Post
    So does that mean that the study of Thaumaturgy focuses on looking towards the past rather than the future?
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Rarely. The Einzbern are seeking to regain their lost Magic, but the general point of conventional magecraft is to play your part in the massive eugenics project that is building up your family's circuits, to make your contribution to the family Crest, and hope that it will eventually accumulate enough for a descendant far in the future to reach the Root. Of course you try yourself, somewhat, but currently most families think of it as pretty hopeless, like trying to get a standard car to fly just by driving it faster and faster (this is the simile used, IIRC).
    Technically I think he's right. You progress in magecraft towards the goal of true magic by "regressing". Note how in Kara no Kyoukai everyone is trying to trace back something to its origin. Touko even talks about the paradox of magi essentially becoming stupider as they study more, and that really the only way to reach the goal is to be born foolish and needlessly content. (dropping hints so hard Touko)
    Last edited by terraablaze; April 2nd, 2013 at 08:37 AM.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    They're still doing their own stuff, not trying to learn the old magic.
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aldeayeah View Post
    "Humanity is good at everything" is a pretty weird motto, though.

I like to think it means "unlimited potential" in this particular case.
    Actually, I was wrong since I never found the original before and just went by the English keywords. It turns out it was actually シナリオ担当座右の銘。「人類皆強大」, which is just "The scenario director's motto is 'mankind is strong'."

^
    That's even less specific then the other two translations! True Nasu words right here folks!
    ^^
    they're doing their own thing, but by using the established methods already available. I wouldn't find it strange if when magic was still young everything that we've seen has been done by someone at some point and topped.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    They're still doing their own stuff, not trying to learn the old magic.
    Yeah, but. That's not what he asked. And magecraft is focused on the past instead of the future, philosophically. It's one of the running themes, the contrast between civilization reaching forward and magecraft reaching back.

Blog Entries
    rin says so very specifically in the fsn prologue

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    One would expect CCC is the title that will mainly deal with this running theme, since it involves both top technology and top magic, even has gods in it and stuff. The world had paradoxically forced the Magi to think about tomorrow. Atlas's perspective on this given through Rani could be interesting to listen to.

Seems like nope, though, choke on Passionpelicans.

Shouldn't this be in the Questions thread?
    Last edited by Ratman; April 2nd, 2013 at 12:15 PM.

It's a new poster and the Questions thread eats questions. It's a fairly novel question too, I don't think it's even addressed in Seika's doc, so I doubt him perusing the Questions thread would help.
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I read this somewhere before but just need confirmation.

Apparently, Humans in Type-Moon were much more powerful in the past when their connection to the Root was closer than what they are now in the modern world. So is it true that someone like Saber, a Servant, was capable of performing the feats she achieved as a Servant while she was still alive?
    Of course, if not more so.
    The overarching theme of Nasu's works is that humans are actually the strongest creatures in the Nasuverse.

But what about Arc.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Not really. It depends on what the magus is researching and where he is deriving his power from.

This was made more apparent by Alice, who could not bring out the full potential of Bridge Giant's final form ("giant of concrete and steel") because she was a backwards traditional witch.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Satehi View Post
    But what about Arc.
    Last time I checked, she was literally fucked by a human.

Totally not a Saber clone Knick's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Last time I checked, she was literally fucked by a human.
    *slow clap* Bravo good sir

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Are you swearing by the root or are you just happy to see me?

I thought it was because the collective unconscious was less divided?