Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Disquieting Mercy

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    My take on Kirei is that he always tended to favor trolling people that he recognized as having that two-faced sort of persona the most. We already know even with his post-Gil understanding of his own nature that he's still pretty unsatisfied with his own state, so I always figure that he very much likes poking at other people's outward/inward perceptions both because of his own self-loathing and because it's pleasurable. He gets extremely upset with Shirou and Saber in Fate when they face what's lurking on their inward selves and decide not to be upset by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelnish View Post
    ... she was raised by Kotomine. Her mom was retard and dad dead at 6ish. So I'd say no?
    ...and every time she opens her mouth about her family, it's Dad this and Dad that. Whereas we get maybe five seconds of her acknowledging that Kirei ever had anything to do with her upbringing at all?
    Quotes & Stuff...No, no stuff, just quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Oh, man, you ruined it, I was typing up a big thing about how "three reams" equals 3000 sheets of paper, and that it connects back to the ancient Japanese legend about how folding a thousand paper cranes will grant you a single wish. It was going to be wonderful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    Not really, more like he knows that realistically he can't save everyone but he's going to strive to do so no matter what regardless, because Fuck The Ideal Police.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's not procrastination, it's pressure-assisted output management.
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    I'm a neckbeard, son. If I ever multiply it'd be through cell division.

JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    ...and every time she opens her mouth about her family, it's Dad this and Dad that. Whereas we get maybe five seconds of her acknowledging that Kirei ever had anything to do with her upbringing at all?
    She's attempting to live up to the idolized version of her father that she invented and I have no doubt Kotomine helped mold. She needs him to have been the perfect magus and for that to be right and proper so she can deal with the loneliness her father's failings brought on her head. Her story isn't really a mirror of Kotomine's I feel, his father was an actual man and not an ideal. Kotomine's failing to be the man his father thought he was just doesn't feel like the inverse of a girl failing to be the cold-hearted magus she thinks she is supposed to be to justify her father's choices. Is how I see it.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    My take on Kirei is that he always tended to favor trolling people that he recognized as having that two-faced sort of persona the most. We already know even with his post-Gil understanding of his own nature that he's still pretty unsatisfied with his own state, so I always figure that he very much likes poking at other people's outward/inward perceptions both because of his own self-loathing and because it's pleasurable. He gets extremely upset with Shirou and Saber in Fate when they face what's lurking on their inward selves and decide not to be upset by it.
    I thought it was more that they were able to overcome their inner selves, whereas Kotomine never was. He never struck me as the jealous type though.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    I thought it was more that they were able to overcome their inner selves, whereas Kotomine never was. He never struck me as the jealous type though.
    But he is jealous ( or rather, envious; people don't seem to differentiate between these two words ).
    He is jealous of Kiritsugu and that's the reason why Kirei hates him:

Fate/Zero Act 15 Part 3

“Then, Irisviel, you’re a perfect wife.”

Kirei said as if making a disinterested judgement. It was not praise, nor was it sarcasm.

“But I can’t understand Emiya Kiritsugu because of that. Since he loves you as a wife, then why… why would he want eternal world peace? Why would he sacrifice his loved one for such a pointless aspiration?”

“… Such an odd question. For you, a man who has admitted that he has no reason for existence… You’re mocking others and saying their aspirations are meaningless?”

“Any sensible adult would have laughed at him.”

This was an anger completely different from before. Kirei’s heart swelled up.

“Combat is instinctive of humanity. Eliminating it is no different from eliminating humans. What else could be more pointless? This so-called aspiration of Emiya Kiritsugu’s – it shouldn’t have been called an aspiration to begin with, but the dream of a child!”

“… That is why he could only rely on a miracle…”

Irisviel tried her best to keep her cool and continued speaking.

“He lost everything for the aspiration he sought… He always suffered through his punishments for wanting to save those that could not be saved, and everything around him was robbed… I am also someone taken away from him. He has been forced to discard his loved ones many times…”

Kirei stood up from his chair and gazed at Irisviel with a bottomless and gloomy look.

“You’re saying it’s not just limited to this once – but that this is the way of existence for this man?”

“Yes. Kiritsugu is far too gentle. He doesn’t hold back on his love even though he knows he will lose those around him sooner or later…”

Those answers were enough for Kirei. He completely lost interest in the homunculus before him.

“… I understand.”

He grasped the woman’s neck with his strong fingertips and stopped her blood flow.

Looking at the other’s weak and painful expression, Kirei calmly said.

“I finally understand. So this is Emiya Kiritsugu.”

Kirei threw the woman, who had already fainted, to one side, and gazed emptily into the darkness.

In retrospect, Kirei had been wrong since the start– his question was answered, but his anticipation became disappointment.
    Emiya Kiritsugu was not looking for the truth amongst meaningless repetition.
    That man had simply consigned all meaningful things into nothingness.
    It wasn’t that he had no wishes, but that he had such a ridiculous wish that he fell into a cycle of nothingness. His futile efforts and what he had wasted was so foolish that it was unsalvageable.

Perhaps Kiritsugu could see through Kotomine Kirei’s empty heart, and perhaps he would fear that emptiness and be alarmed.
    However, he would never be able to imagine the meaning of having such an emptiness. He could never hope to understand the fervent desire that Kirei harbored.

Emiya Kiritsugu’s life could be concluded as having repeatedly discarded everything.
    The joy and happiness that man had discarded – even its fragments were important enough in Kirei’s eyes for him to protect with his life or even die for.

For a man like Kirei who continued to be lost and could not find a single piece of such joy and happiness, Kiritsugu’s life only existed in his dreams and his admiration.
    His insatiable thirst and unrecoverable loss had been belittled and mocked in such a way – how could he endure this? How could he not hate this?
    The dark feelings swelling up in his heart twisted Kirei’s smile.
    He finally understood the meaning of this war.
    My attempts at being a (fanfic) writer:

Eclipse - a Saber Alter oneshot
    Requiem for a Race - Altrouge and Ortenrosse hunt the TAs ( 1/3 chapters, discontinued )
    Memories of a King - a 'Saber Origins' story ( 8/? chapters, discontiuned )
    A Small Warmth - a post UBW-Good oneshot, Saber/Rin
    Devil's Thrill - Narbareck hunts down a DAA Blackmore ( 10/10 chapters, finished )
    Boundary of Loneliness - Ryougi Shiki/Alphard Al-Shua oneshot. Lemon-flavoured

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't say that's him being jealous, so much as angry at how ungrateful Kiritsugu is for the happiness that he has.

Like if Bill Gates showed up and started burning a pile of money in front of a homeless person. It's the fact that even a scrap of what Kiritsugu has is enough for Kotomine to live for, but Kiritsugu doesn't value it at all. At least to Kotomine.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.