Reposting one of my works from the old thread.

[Disclaimer]I do not own any of the works that I am writing about.

Note: This is something I wrote fairly spur of the moment, so the writing quality probably isn't that great. Basically, Nasuverse, done Yu-Gi-Oh style. Please enjoy.

Trading cards are serious business.

It’s true, you know? It’s a multi-billion dollar industry with official tournaments, professionals, the works. But mostly, it’s just a fun game for kids like me to play and pass the time with.

“*pant*pant*pant*”

But there are those who go too far. People who abuse their wealth and power in order to obtain the rarest and most powerful cards. People who resort to any means necessary, regardless of the law. In my class, there is one such person. Tohno Shiki, head of the Tohno family. He finally crossed the line when he hired some thugs to break into my house and kidnap my legal guardian last night. And all just to obtain a single card.

“*pant*pant*pant*”

I finally reach the top of the staircase, only to find a shut door. And then, as if waiting for me, the door slides open without a sound.

“Oh my, Emiya Shirou, what a surprise to see you here” Shiki says, doing his best to look shocked and failing.

“Shut up. You know what I’m here for.”

“Not a clue. Oh wait, I know, could it be that?” Shiki snaps his fingers, and another door slides opening, revealing Taiga’s unconscious body.

“TAIGA!”

“Not so fast” he says, raising a hand. And like magic, several men suddenly appear, blocking my path to Taiga. “You know that’s not how we do things here.”

I turn around and look Shiki straight in the eye. And then, slowly as I reach for my deck in my pocket, I empty my mind and allow my ‘other self’ to take over. Another identity that comes to me in my time of need, named EMIYA.

“Prepare yourself” I say coldly. “I’ll make sure you drown in those cards of yours and die.”

“Your eyes just changed” he says, keeping his cool. “I like it. So you want to kill me, boy? Fine, let’s enjoy our match to the fullest, Emiya Shirou!”

Between us, the ground suddenly opens and a ‘duel arena’ rises. Both of us walk to our positions, and place our decks on the stand.

““It’s time to duel!””

“I’ll make the first move” I proclaim as I draw the five cards plus one for my hand. “I activate the magic card, ‘War of the Holy Grail’. This lets me search my deck for two ‘Heroic Spirit’ type cards, and place them in my hand. In addition, all ‘Heroic Spirit’ type creatures get a 200/200 bonus as long as this card remains in play. Next, I’ll activate the magic card ‘Summoning ritual’. This allows me to summon a ‘Heroic Spirit’ type creature from my hand, and the creature I choose to summon is ‘Servant Saber’! Now come forth, my knight of the sword!”

At these words, a bright light appears on my side of the arena, and an instant later, the blue swordswoman has appeared. A seven star 2500/2100 creature that gets boosted to 2700/2300 thanks to my ‘War of the Holy Grail’ magic card.

“That’s it, I end my turn.”

“Not a bad first move” Shiki chuckles. “Well, I suppose it’s my turn now. Draw!”

“Hmm. I guess I’ll play one card facedown, and then summon ‘Kohaku, the Mad Doctor’ in attack mode. Turn end.”

Another bright light, but this time, it’s his creature that is summoned. The pink haired maid takes a single look at my field and giggles.

“My turn then. Draw!” It’s obvious that he played a trap card and wants me to attack his creature. Why else would he play a 1200/1500 in attack mode when I have ‘Servant Saber’ on the field? Well, fortunately for me, the card I just drew gives me a way around that.

“First, I play the magic card ‘Caster’s magic battle’. It allows me to destroy one of your facedown magic/trap cards for each magic/trap card I discard. I discard one, and destroy the card you hid facedown. Now attack his Mad Doctor, Saber!”

“You fool! You activated my trap cards special ability!”

“What! But I destroyed that card!”

“However, when ‘Bonds of Sisterhood’ is sent directly to the graveyard, I can summon this creature directly from my hand. Now come forth, ‘Hisui, the Diligent Maid’!”

Another pink haired maid appears on his field. However, as opposed to the cheerful Kohaku, Hisui seems more stoic.

“But that’s not all! When Hisui is summoned to the field, I can play a trap card from my hand. And the card I choose is ‘Hisui’s cooking’. This card decreases the attack points of a monster by 2000 for one turn.”

“No!”

But it’s too late. Just before Saber strikes Kohaku down with her sword, Kohaku pulls out some food from her kimono which Saber gladly eats. And then falls to her knees, clutching her stomach, at which point Kohaku finishes her off with her broomsword.

Ding! My lifepoints decrease by 500 down to 3500.

“Ugh. I play ‘Servant Caster’ in defense mode and end my turn.”

Hopefully that should buy me some time.

“Too naïve. That won’t even buy you any time.”

What!?

“My turn. Draw! Now I sacrifice ‘Hisui’ in order to play ‘Ciel, Church Agent’. Go Ciel, destroy his monster.”

With a flash, his new creature launches several sharp knives at my defending monster, skewering it.

“Now Kohaku, go and attack his lifepoints directly!”

Ding! My lifepoints drop down to 2300.

“Turn end.”

“Draw! I play ‘Fake Assassin’ in defense mode, and another card facedown and end my turn.” My situation is looking fairly bad right now, but those two cards should be able to buy me some time.

“Draw! Ciel, attack his Fake Assassin!”

His 2100/2100 creature rushes to attack my 1200/1800 creature. Even with the bonus, it’s 100 points too short. But I’m prepared for that.

“I activate my facedown card, ‘High Ground’! It reduces my monster’s attack by 500, but in exchange it boosts the defense by 1000!”

Clang! Fake Assassin effortlessly parries Ciel’s black keys and deals a strong counterattack in return. This time it’s his lifepoints which drop down to 3100. But for some reason, he just laughs.

“Hahaha, it would be boring if you didn’t have at least this much talent. Well, I’ll switch Kohaku to defense mode and end my turn.”

“My turn. Draw. I play Servant Archer in defense mode, and activate the magic card ‘I am the bone of my sword’. If Servant Archer is on the field, this allows me to draw 4 more cards. Turn end.”

“My turn. Draw. Go Ciel, destroy his Archer with one attack! Black Key barrage”

Just like Caster, Archer too is skewered by a rain of swords and disappears.”

“Turn End.”

“My turn. Draw.” Sorry Archer. You sacrifice shall not be in vain. The cards you brought me contain my key to victory.

“I’ll play two ‘Summoning rituals’ from my hand to summon ‘Servant Lancer’ and ‘Servant Rider’. Next, I sacrifice those two to play ‘Servant Berserker, the Mad Warrior’ from my hand. Go Berserker! Smash his puny burial agent!”

My 2800/2800 creature is boosted to 3000/3000 and crushes Ciel with a single swing of his stone club. But, when the dust clears…

“Hahaha, don’t you know? ‘Ciel’ possess a special ability! It can’t be destroyed! I still take damage though, so be happy about that.” He says as his lifepoints drop down to 2200.

“Grr. I’ll play one card facedown and end my turn” I say as I place the last card in my hand facedown on the field.

“My turn. Draw!” Shiki’s face splits into a huge grin when he sees what card he’s drawn. “I’m sorry Shirou, but it’s over.”

“I sacrifice Ciel and Kohaku to summon, ‘Arcueid, True Ancestor’. This creature comes into play with the minimum stats of 3000/3000, but if there is a monster with base stats stronger than that, it gets those stats +100. Well, there isn’t, so that doesn’t matter. I also play the magic card, ‘adoption’. This let’s me play another creature at the expense of removing the top three cards of my deck from the game. And the card I choose to play is ‘Shiki, demon hunter’. And finally I equip it with the magic card ‘Mystic Eyes of Death Perception’. This gives it +1000/+1000 in stats, but that’s not all. It also allows him to give up his attack for the turn to instantly destroy an enemy creature. Now go, Shiki, attack Berserker with 17 Dissection!”

In a flash, his creature cuts Berserker into 17 pieces of meet. That, that doesn’t even make any sense! How can this be!?

“Also, I forgot to mention. If Shiki is on the field, all versions of ‘Kohaku’, ‘Hisui’, Akiha’, ‘Ciel’, and ‘Arcuied’ get a 500/500 boost to their stats. Now Arcueid, destroy Fake Assassin!”

Numerous chains appear out of thin air, and destroy my last line of defense.

“Well, Emiya, any last words?”

“…you were right. It is over. Activate, Magic Card! ‘Angra Mainyu, the Avenger’!”

“WHAT!? You had that card!?”

“I can activate this card if I have the magic card ‘War of the Holy Grail’ activated on my side of the field and if seven ‘Heroic Spirit’ type monsters have been sent from my field to my graveyard. This allows me to remove those creatures in my graveyard from the game, and deal their combined attack damage as direct damage directly to your life points.”

“NO! STOP, WAIT!”

“Too late. Destroy him, with ‘All the Evils in the World’!”

Seven bright lights emerge from my graveyard and enter the holy grail which had sat in my magic zone throughout the entire game. Shortly afterwards, a great flood of black mud is spewed out, directly at Shiki.

Ding! His lifepoints drop to 0.

“…I lost?”

“Ni-san! Are you okay?”

An unfamiliar black-haired girl runs out of a corridor directly at Shiki. Following after her are my familiar friends.

“Congratulations, Shirou, you won!” says Arturia, one of my classmates.

“Thanks guys. Can one of you help carry Taiga? Let’s get out of here.”

As they walk over to help Taiga, I walk over to where Shiki had crumpled and still hasn’t gotten up yet. I tell him only one thing.

“I showed you. This is what it means… to duel someone.”

To be continued?