Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 36789101318 ... LastLast

Thread: Clarification on who is perma'ed and who isn't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Question my jokes again and you will find I am McPAIN!!!
    That's not even a joke. What happens when I question it?

(See what I did there? Ah ha, ah ha?)
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I'm sorry for this, all of you.

Wait, no I'm not. Best part of my week.

Well this escalated after I went to bed

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Strife IS a bird! I am okay with this. :3

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Wait, are you saying that for temp-bans, you actually have to keep track of the time left on the ban and undo it manually? That seems... obnoxiously tedious.
    Any user, whether temporary or permanent, go into the same "Banned Users" group. It can be set for a certain amount of time, or it can be permanent. While it displays the time in the Admin CP, there is no way to show this timer outside of there.

It's probably possible a plugin could be written to handle and show this. I cannot find one and I do not have the know-how to write one. If this is that important to someone, they're free to try to find or write one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyte View Post
    Didn't find one but oh wow look what I found.
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=270517
    Remember when you said MediaWiki would work if you could make'em share login? Well someone else thought the same.
    Well, we have VaultWiki for a year, so we're probably going to make use of it for that year. I'm pretty sure you can export the wiki info and move to another product (I know you can import it), but I'll make sure of this before we actually begin using VaultWiki; if it has no export ability that can't be imported into MediaWiki then obviously it's vendor lock-in and I try to avoid that.

Since I am home due to this toe, I would be working on it, but instead, some people thought it'd be funnier (and a few still think it's funny) to make things look like a mass banwave happened. Kind of makes me not want anything to do with the forums for a week. That isn't and never will be the proper way to air a grievance, especially when it's one I can't exactly "fix" without new code.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Can't you just make a new group called "Permabanned Users" that has the same rights as banned (ie, none) and just send people there when they are banned for good?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife212 View Post
    Can't you just make a new group called "Permabanned Users" that has the same rights as banned (ie, none) and just send people there when they are banned for good?
    No. That's not how it works. I don't know why people don't get this.

vBulletin makes zero distinctions between temporarily and permanently banned users. They both go in the exact same usergroup, one which is built in where it automatically sends people who are banned.

The only difference is a tempban has a timer that yanks them out of it, and permanent does not. If there was a way to display the timer, I'd probably do it, but there isn't without a plugin. This makes some people unhappy, so to "protest" something I cannot change, they decided it'd be good to pretend to be banned. Even now about all I can do is what I've done - make banned users have some extra HTML markup.

Really, some days it's hard to keep liking this site and wanting to do nice things for it. Some people seem to enjoy making things harder on the staff.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    Any user, whether temporary or permanent, go into the same "Banned Users" group. It can be set for a certain amount of time, or it can be permanent. While it displays the time in the Admin CP, there is no way to show this timer outside of there.

It's probably possible a plugin could be written to handle and show this. I cannot find one and I do not have the know-how to write one. If this is that important to someone, they're free to try to find or write one.
    Right, I know they're the same usergroup. My idea wasn't to distinguish the usergroups, just to have a plugin that would look at the timer and note if it was actually counting down to anything. If yes, add (temp) to the userbox, if no, add (perm) to the userbox. Or something like that. If you don't have it actually display the time and make it a simple if-then thing, that's pretty much babby's first programming project.

I'd do it myself but I don't have access to any vbulletin development stuff and I'm pretty sure "some python and have looked at html before" would have very little carryover.
    Last edited by Mcjon01; May 2nd, 2013 at 05:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Right, I know they're the same usergroup. My idea wasn't to distinguish the usergroups, just to have a plugin that would look at the timer and note if it was actually counting down to anything. If yes, add (temp) to the userbox, if no, add (perm) to the userbox. Or something like that. If you don't have it actually display the time and make it a simple if-then thing, that's pretty much babby's first programming project.

I'd do it myself but I don't have access to any vbulletin development stuff and I'm pretty sure "some python and have looked at html before" would have very little carryover.
    A plugin for it is probably possible, but I don't think one exists. If someone wants to try to write one, then by all means.

Personally, I DON'T feel it's important enough (to be honest I feel like it's people trying to be nosy about bans that isn't their business), but on the flip side of that, I can see why people would want to know if a friend or a contact is just sitting in the corner or if they've been thrown off the premises. I'm not going to stop someone who feels it is important from trying to get it written, and if it is written and presented, while I can't guarantee it will be used, it would at least be discussed.

Old Quote Crap!

Blog Entries
    Why do you think I'm framing it the way I am? It's the exact opposite of people being nosy. People get nosy when they don't know anything. If anything, a bare-minimum temp/perm distinction on the posts of a banned user would drastically decrease all this nosiness you're so afraid of, because 90% of the people that show up begging to know what's happening every time they see somebody they know is gone would be content just knowing if that person is coming back any time soon or not.

It doesn't divulge any extra information that won't eventually be revealed when the user does or doesn't come back, so what's the problem?

Blog Entries
    The main problem is there's no way to show it as I said above. The second problem is that if people wanted to know, they could have always messaged a staff member to ask if it was temporary or permanent.

If they're begging to know if someone is gone for good or not, they're asking the wrong people. We won't discuss the why but we'd certainly at least say if it's temporary or permanent.

Old Quote Crap!

Blog Entries
    Yes, yes, I know that getting somebody to actually make it is the bigger problem.
    I'm simply disturbed that you seem to be biased against the idea from the start, despite the fact that the reasons you gave are completely wrong. No offense.
    It is literally just moving the point at which people are aware of 100% publicly available information. If it is a temp ban, people will know it was a temp ban when the poster is no longer banned. So how is it different if they know that information upfront? You might as well argue that there be no indication that banned users are banned whatsoever, because it's nobody's business. Just make it look like they stopped posting for no particular reason and never mention it.

Blog Entries
    Yes, yes, I know that getting somebody to actually make it is the bigger problem.
    I'm simply disturbed that you seem to be biased against the idea from the start, despite the fact that the reasons you gave are completely wrong. No offense.
    It is literally just moving the point at which people are aware of 100% publicly available information. If it is a temp ban, people will know it was a temp ban when the poster is no longer banned. So how is it different if they know that information upfront? You might as well argue that there be no indication that banned users are banned whatsoever, because it's nobody's business. Just make it look like they stopped posting for no particular reason and never mention it.
    Maybe I just simply don't think the best out of some people, despite wanting to.

Last night did not help, for some people's reputation or for mine. I'll deal with mine, but I'm definitely a bit tired of other people forcing me into doing crap by being obnoxious. Even now, some people are STILL pretending to be banned because they think it's funny or amusing for some reason and it's NOT. If it's supposed to be some kind of protest, it's a protest I cannot "fix" for reasons I've said.

You are right in that there is more or less "public knowledge" if a person comes back. At the same time, I don't want cases where if someone gets banned for something, all it does is stop their buddies from doing things until they return, and then it resumes. There is a balance between "right to know" and security that must be achieved, though apparently people feel they're not learning enough, and so destabilize the security until they do. But I suppose in the end, not knowing when their buddy will come back would really be no difference anyway. It's just me being pessimistic about elements of the userbase, I guess.

So if you want to know if someone's temped or permed, for god's sakes, just leave a VM on our wall or send a PM if you prefer. We'll at least tell you if people are tossed for good or not. Pretending you're banned to protest does nothing but make this site look even more like a home of idiots. And abusing stuff left in for fun by doing things like that really does irritate and piss me off and make me want to remove the ability to have those things. I'd rather not do that but when some people don't get the hint "I don't want Banned as your custom usertitle" by removing it and they keep finding ways to reinsert it... well, then they really shouldn't be surprised if they lose the ability to do that for a little while, pure and simple.

Those sorts of things aren't games. The blacktext, that was amusing (if annoying) but it ultimately didn't hurt anybody. Imitating other users due to the black usernames... borderline, and I'll take the rap for that because that one was my fault. Flat-out confusing people by pretending to be banned like this was not, and never would be, acceptable. I don't know why some people thought I was making a game out of it. I probably never will.

Old Quote Crap!

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's because your joking persona is completely indistinguishable from your serious one.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotonoha View Post
    It's because your joking persona is completely indistinguishable from your serious one.
    It's my fault, given what I did in the past. So I'm not going to be doing these sorts of things anymore. It's better that I not do this and save myself the headaches I cause, apparently, since these things always just seem to give me more grief.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Jeez, this is sad.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors BlackField's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    Since I am home due to this toe, I would be working on it, but instead, some people thought it'd be funnier (and a few still think it's funny) to make things look like a mass banwave happened. Kind of makes me not want anything to do with the forums for a week. That isn't and never will be the proper way to air a grievance, especially when it's one I can't exactly "fix" without new code.
    So that's what happened.

Hmm, to think I was beat in the actively trying to be annoying part by Petrikow. Fucking Petrikow. I'm ashamed of myself.
    Last edited by BlackField; May 3rd, 2013 at 06:13 AM.

True Golden Bear King of BLING Theocrass's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    *Gets to second page.*

What the fuck guys?

Ask TIK - Where all your important life questions can be answered.

JP Friend Code
    003254397 / Ratman
    Blog Entries
    It's actually kind of cool that you get to see how many spambots the site gets every day though. You simply check bottom of the frontpage. Modwork is more visible that way.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
    So that's what happened.

Hmm, to think I was beat in the actively trying to be annoying part by Petrikow. Fucking Petrikow. I'm ashamed of myself.
    Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee