Page 1 of 8 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: Front Page

Gläubig müssen die nicht sein, daran glauben müssen sie I3uster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Front Page

Hello Good Beast's Lair Friends

The staff has recently thought about maybe turning the currently unused front page into something a bit more presentable. A few ideas were exchanged, however we are seeking community input on what to actually do with it, and will probably need your help on creating content for it via dedicated people that will have the rights to do so. The specifics of this are still talked about as they depend on a few things.

The biggest of which we want your input on.

As of now the front page is a "literally who the fuck cares" affair as you probably all know from the fact that you do not use it (if you do have you have my sincere condolences). However I think it could be a great way to turn our site more presentable or even attract new users if the content we provide is good enough to do so.

The shape this content takes we are not quite sure on yet though, and this is where you help.

What would you personally want to see on the frontpage? Type-Moon news? Fanfic reviews and writing tips? Lore articles in the style of some of the blogs already present? Please post your thoughts and suggestions. Even "nobody cares" is a thought but if you think so it might be best to elaborate a bit further.

Thank you in advance
    [04:55] Lianru: i3uster is actuallly quite cute

Blog Entries
    I want translators to be able to put their stuff on the front page.

Otherwise who cares?

Queen of Love and Beauty GhostDIGIT's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Type-Moon news sounds like the basic way to go. Lore articles would be pretty good and actually help with confused fanfic writers.
    Spoiler:
    The Best Thing BlackBlade's Ever Said.
    Quote Originally Posted by black1blade View Post
    Just watch KNK, read fate and tsuki then just never bother with another nasu thing again but continue to use BL regardless.

Dullahan's Writing Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan View Post
    I hope you love purple prose, pretentious dialogue and oblique references to Hegelian philosophy too motherfucker 'cause that's what's up

A picture of Darples rubbing his hands together gleefully and nothing else.
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostDIGIT View Post
    Type-Moon news sounds like the basic way to go. Lore articles would be pretty good and actually help with confused fanfic writers.
    The problem with news is that it requires very dedicated staff and we will still fall behind forum posts and everything else so I personally don't think it's the best thing to do unless it's some kind of monthly roundup. With GO it might actually be worth it as its the first time in TM history you'd basically have material to report on monthly (or even shorter timespans actually hue) but I don't really see us succeeding as some kind of actual news site.

I personally think it should be a combo of news and translations or lore. Maybe even just having quick access sidebar links to the most helpful compilations of said translations and lore.

Cute Boy Who Likes To Show Off Nacho the Doritosedge's Avatar
    This:
    Quote Originally Posted by ほうれん草 View Post
    And links to viewing/downloading the MTSP Rin doujins

Blog Entries
    News, translations and lore sound good except for the amount of dedication it would take to keep it updated regularly.

Maybe a community feature for a single thread or whatever that changes weekly?
    Code:
    [07:55:59] <Spinach> Take off your clothes Kirby
    [07:56:07] <Kirby> I'm in class

[20:37:34] <Lian|phone> there is a such thing as lingerie for guys?
    [20:37:54] <Kyokushi> yea
    [20:37:57] <Kyokushi> they're called jockstraps
    [20:38:02] <Lian|phone> :o
    [20:38:07] * Lian|phone googles
    [20:38:10] <Kyokushi> NO
    [20:38:11] <Kyokushi> DON'T
    [20:40:07] <Lian|phone> okay
    [20:40:16] <Lian|phone> I don't think I should have googled that

[12:59:30]  <Spinach> call me onii-chan, bitch
    [13:00:12]  <kroyo> imma fuck ur shit up onii-fam

blue blue glass something something Pillzman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ほうれん草 View Post

Otherwise who cares?
    Oh, this is brilliant. So many times bits of translations get lost between the hundreds of posts and never get properly indexed, so a place to have them all that's also easily accesible would be amazing.

That aside, I think TM news would be nice to have (especially for GO people, that's clear), and something akin to a fanfic index or something since that's one of the main BL things, I guess.

Oh and I guess it goes without saying that there should be something showing currently active threads, along with some stickies maybe? Maybe not, to have some more space.

Blog Entries
    For the record this is the layout:
    http://nrvnqsr.com/

The extent to which we can fuck with it is something you gotta ask mac hue

blue blue glass something something Pillzman's Avatar
    Oh, I was gonna mention integrated activity stream, but I guess that's there already.

love me until I love myself Prix with a Silent X's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think that if you're interested in making things less confusing and more inviting in order to attract new users that something that is important is to have both the general etiquette rules and the FAQ easy to access. I know that Seika has worked hard on the FAQ but for a long time I had trouble finding it again until I learned my way around the site.

The way that I found BL was looking to see if anyone had done any kind of Case Files translation into English, in case knowing that helps in any way to know how I found it and what a random person who has never heard of BL might be searching for. I think that what this place offers that other internet fandom homes don't is a place that is focused around Type Moon and not entirely limited to Fate (though I am at present only really versed in Fate it is a nice thing to have a place to start referencing and learning about other things), a focus on user interaction, and frequently-updated "resources" for fans such as translations. I think that a person who would stay here and be interested in registration rather than lurking is probably looking for a place to discuss something about Type Moon that brought them here. I'm not sure if this is actually relevant, I'm just trying to think of things that would make the site more appealing to someone who just got confused on google and curiously wound up here.

As someone who is interested in fanfiction and other fan-creative stuff, I think it would be really nice if there were some way to sort of make new visitors know that such content is available here, and I think encouraging good feedback on fanwork is a good way to make sure fanwork keeps existing, but I have trouble imagining how one would fairly implement some kind of front page thing. With that in particular, I think that highlighting rather than competing for the front page all the time is probably healthier behavior unless the people who frequent the fanfiction forum have an idea.
    Imagine that the world is made out of love. Now imagine that it isn’t.

Imagine a story where everything goes wrong, where everyone has their back against the wall, where everyone is in pain and acting selfishly because if they don’t, they’ll die.
    Imagine a story, not of good against evil, but of need against need against need, where everyone is at cross-purposes and everyone is to blame.

Blog of Fiction for You to Consume
    Other Links

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Let Sakura say fuck and eat junkfood you weirdos.

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    I was gonna say, pipe cool user Twitters to the front page.

But then I realized I don't want most ppl here to know my Twitter

- - - Updated - - -

Some way to make translations more accessible is a good idea. I second that.

Also I'd like to have input (or someone who reads a lot of stuff and understands the order) on how to do the layout.
    Last edited by mewarmo990; February 18th, 2016 at 03:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    In any case if you want to say you want to volunteer we will take that into account in further discussion (no promises on guaranteed writer promotion though, or that this will be a thing at all. But you know how it is, the more info and concrete interest we have the better we can plan this.)

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Okay, sure, I will volunteer when the time comes.

It made me think of the TYPE-MOON Wiki (not the English Wikia) which got a major redesign recently. The way the titles are organized at the top is pretty functional and I was just thinking it would be a good basis in the future. But we can talk about this later, and I need to actually think about the problem.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    WIKI WHEN
    Proof that there's no secret staff conspiracy hiding a functional wiki or any progress on it.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

But seriously, the front page is more suited as a news hub than lore apothecary. Setting Grand Order aside it doesn't even have to be that frequent; a consolidation of assorted news in the style of Reverse Thieves would be enough.

News and translations would be nice. I'd personally like Lore 101 bits every now and then cause that would be helpful to aspiring fanfictioners, but if it's hard to do fuck it.