Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The Price of Survival (crossover)

Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    The interesting things in these types of stories is the tension between characters, the conflict between ideals, that kind of thing. When they just get killed instantly it cuts all of that short.
    Thanks for the input, I'll bear it in mind for any future projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Muramasa View Post
    Anyway, the story works. It's just not my cup of tea.
    Fair enough.

And I have no idea why the font's changed.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Beast's Lair automatically uses formatting when you copy and paste and other things, unless you turn it off. I like it better when it's just plain text and it lets you do the code yourself.

But anyway. What I mean by cutting the tension short is this. Think of UBW, and Fate. Half of the route is made up of the conflict in personality and philosophies between Saber and Shirou, and Shirou and Archer. The ideals and so on. Now imagine if instead of drawing all of that out and letting it play out they all just got hit by a car on Day 4, and the story is over. That's what I felt like with this story. There was a lot of set up for things like having Rin and Issei's misunderstandings, Shinji and Shirou and the differences they would have between them now, Rin and Shirou and how her pragmatism would clash with his idealism, Shirou finding ways to use his magic, etc. Oh, and how could I forget Kotomine. He just leaves.

Basically all the starting points were there, it just did not follow through. It's more like Battle Royale where people just randomly die for no reason. That's why I said it feels more like Battle Royale story with some people who just happen to be from FSN, than a FSN story with a Battle Royale setting.

As far as writing and characterization goes, you did good though. Just finishing it and getting all of it out there is nothing to sneeze at.
    Last edited by mAc Chaos; June 27th, 2013 at 03:32 PM.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, the people don't die for "no reason", its a logical conclusion, which does happen in TM, sometimes people do die meaninglessly and without preamble.

Shirou's death just when hope was in reach is very BR, but it's not like you don't have that in other TM stories.
    Kinda surprised Rin is even considering participating in the war when she knows Kirei is the Supervisor, seems a bit unwise to enter something grandiose like that, and considering Kirei was the one that gave her Tokiomi's will and would undoubtedly have her house on lockdown (as well as the government), it'd be hard going for sure. Not bad take on mixing the two different types of stories.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    I just mean there was a lot of potential dramatic conflict that was left unexplored.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

全力後輩 - Zenryoku Kohai Altima of the Gates's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    True, but then sometimes, less is more, I think this was one of those times, especially with the really strained time limit.

"Fate/stay night: not really an eroge, and not really a cooking sim, but actually an RPG wherein everyone’s primary stat is “self-loathing” and the goal is to level it up beyond all the other characters."

屍鬼 Ghoul
    Quote Originally Posted by mAc Chaos View Post
    I just mean there was a lot of potential dramatic conflict that was left unexplored.
    Yeah I get you I would think that their would be some stuff like Kirei being annoyed at the fact that Rin was able to win the game with another person and so comes with the soldiers, fights Rin with him winning via experience then Ayako distracting him by trying to sneak attack him then Rin using a Gandr to his face.

Then have an Omake with Rin summoning Emiya and finding out that he died via his own Naivety/Idealism

Blog Entries
    You've been told not to necro threads multiple times. Given you're either continuing with this deliberately in spite of what's been said, or have decided not to look back at the very threads you're resurrecting to comment on, I have my doubts that a normal warning will do any good. As such, I'm temp-banning you for a day to make sure you get the message.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Parks_98 View Post
    Yeah I get you I would think that their would be some stuff like Kirei being annoyed at the fact that Rin was able to win the game with another person and so comes with the soldiers, fights Rin with him winning via experience then Ayako distracting him by trying to sneak attack him then Rin using a Gandr to his face.

Then have an Omake with Rin summoning Emiya and finding out that he died via his own Naivety/Idealism
    Erm.

This is about the third or fourth time you've necro'd a thread created from a year or two ago in this subforum.

Not that I personally have any problem with it, but for the sake of all the others who probably do (as I believe Arashi has said twice), can you please stop already?

- - - Updated - - -

and sniped.