Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Price of Survival (crossover)

The Price of Survival (crossover)

Disclaimer: The usual applies, I do not own Fate/Stay Night or Battle Royal.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter I – Let the Games Begin

Ayako awoke slowly, grudgingly grasping her way out of the comfortable darkness and gradually conscious thought began to return to her. At first she thought she was back in her bed at home but as her lethargy receded it occurred to her that that couldn’t be right, it felt more like she was sitting upright in a chair, with her head resting on the rough, unyielding surface of a table. She prised open her eyes and raised herself up to lean back in her seat, rubbing the sleep out of her eyes as she did. It was dark, too dark to see at first but soon her eyes started to adjust and she was able to take in her surroundings.

She was sitting at a desk, a school desk but not her own; it was old and battered and covered in a thick layer of dust like it hadn’t been cleaned in years. She looked around and saw that she was in what appeared to be in an old classroom, though it was obviously a long time since it had been used as such. The paint was faded and peeling off the walls and the floor tiles were cracked. There were other pieces of furniture scattered around the room too, although the desk she was sat at was in the best condition, most of the others were broken completely. At the front of the room was a much larger desk intended for a teacher. On top of that desk was a television and an old VHS player.

She wasn’t the only person in the room either.

Looking around she could see other people lying unconscious, kids her own age, some of whom she recognised. Makidera, Himuro and Saegusa were all grouped together in one corner, Tohsaka was lying on the floor right next to her desk and Emiya was propped up against a wall at the far side of the room. They and everyone else in the room were dressed in their school uniform; a quick look down at herself confirmed that she too was dressed in her uniform. To her left was a row of windows, the shutters were closed but like everything else, they were broken and through the gaps she could see stars in the night sky.

Now almost fully awake she was suddenly aware of a strange feeling around her throat, like it was being constricted slightly. She reached up and felt something cold and metallic under fingertips and it went all the way around her neck, like a necklace or a choker. She slipped out of her seat, knelt down to check Tohsaka and found her friend-cum-rival had a metal band around her throat too. She felt the first tendrils of real fear begin to creep in to her gut.

What the hell was going on!?

She tried to cast her mind back to remember where she was but it was no use. She could remember coming in to school that morning, ready for the field trip they had told them about a month ago. Kuzuki-sensei was supposed to be the one in charge but she hadn’t spotted him anywhere in the room with them just now. She remembered being on the coach for an hour or so, but after that it all became fuzzy…

A series of groans and shuffling noises let her know that some of the others were coming round, including Tohsaka whose eyes flickered open as she let out a very unladylike grunt.

“Mitsuzuri?” she said, struggling to sit up.

“Hey Tohsaka…” she replied then trailed off, unsure of how to continue. She been perfectly prepared to make a crack about the other girl’s grumpy, waking-up face but even in her head it fell kind of flat. This really didn’t seem to be the right atmosphere for jokes. She swung her head round to check on the members of the track team and found Makidera and Himuro already comforting an obviously distressed Saegusa.

“Mitsuzuri, what’s going on?” Tohsaka grumbled, drawing her attention back to her. There was a long moment where Ayako tried to come up with a response before giving up.

“I don’t know,” she answered. From the look on Tohsaka’s face she guessed the other girl was awake enough to catch the worry that she could not prevent creeping in to her tone.

All of their classmates were awake now and there was a low hum, as they began trying to get answers from each other, all of them asking the same question. As she looked around she could see that a couple of the others seemed to be on the verge of outright panic.

Abruptly the lights in the room flickered life, after the darkness the sudden illumination was blinding and she couldn’t help hissing in pain. Suddenly the door to the room crashed open and there was the sound of many feet against the tiled floor. When her vision cleared she was able to see that the newcomer was a tall man with dark hair and a vaguely amused expression on his face. He was dressed completely in black; his trousers, his shirt, his coat, he sort of looked like a priest. He even had a dog collar and a gold crucifix hanging around his neck. She’d been nervous a second ago but now, now the hair on the back of her neck was standing on end, her skin was breaking out in goose bumps and her stomach was really twisting itself in to knots. Something about this man completely unnerved her. She guessed Tohsaka felt the same way, because her face had become a completely blank mask and she was sitting very, very still.

Standing around the room were men in combat fatigues who had seemingly entered the room with him. Despite the fact that these men were carrying guns that looked very real, her eyes kept getting drawn back to the “priest”.

The man in question stood before the teacher’s desk and spread his arms wide, as though he wanted nothing more than to embrace them all. He still had that amused little smile on his lips and there was a glimmer in his eye.

“Good evening children!” he said, in a deep voice that seemed to reverberate in her bones. It was a voice that went well with the ominous atmosphere in the room.

“Who the hell are you!” one of the guys at the back of the room exclaimed, pointing his finger at the man aggressively. The priest did not seem to be perturbed by the sudden outburst in the slightest, if anything the smile on his face grew just a tiny bit wider. Although maybe that was just her imagination.

“My name is Kotomine Kirei and I have been asked to conduct your education for the next three days. So, if you could all take a seat and we’ll begin.”

For a second most of the students looked around in confusion, since there wasn’t much furniture in the room and most of what there was, was broken. Some of the students however simply elected to sit on the floor where they were stood. Ayako was spared the choice, since she was already kneeling on the floor next to Tohsaka. Eventually one of the soldiers bellowed “Sit down!” and his colleagues hefted their rifles. This prompted the standing students to follow the lead of the others and simply sit where they could. Meanwhile their new teacher was busy writing something on the cracked and broken blackboard.

BR Act.

“Do any of you know what this is?” he asked them, his hands now clasped behind his back.

Ayako had a vague idea she’d heard the term before but couldn’t remember when or where. Although she was sure it had been shortly after the turn of the millennium. She noticed Tohsaka’s hands clench just slightly in her lap and figured the “model student” knew what it was and that it wasn’t anything good, at least not for them. Kotomine-sensei seemed to take their silence to indicate that they didn’t and continued:

“I see, truly the state of education in this country is in decline, or perhaps it is the youth of today who have become misguided?” he said with a chuckle.

“Fortunately, this ties directly in to what I have been asked to teach you,”

A low murmur ran through the class, until one of the soldiers bellowed for them to be quiet again.

“At the turn of the millennium the government despaired at the state of the youth in this country. Truancy and youth crime were at an all time high, so this law was passed, in order to correct the problem. So for today’s lesson:

“You will all kill each other.”

There was an explosion of noise as all of the students react to the statement. Some yelled at the soldiers or the priest, some were babbling unintelligibly amongst each other and some had started sobbing uncontrollably and were close to hysterics. Ayako’s stomach had reacted quite violently to the news and she felt like she was going to be sick, this had to be a joke right? Tohsaka hadn’t reacted visibly but she saw the girl’s knuckles had gone white. After a few minutes one of the soldiers fired several shots in to the ceiling and several people screamed, then everything went silent, except for the sounds of all those who were breathing heavy. The fact that several pieces of plaster and a lot of dust fell from the ceiling eroded any hope Ayako held, that this was just some sort of sick joke.

“Now, are there any questions?” Kotomine-sensei asked.

“What if we just killed you?!” It was the same guy who had demanded the priest’s name before. Immediately all of the soldiers in the room had their weapons trained on him.

“I applauded your courage, young man,” the priest replied. “However, how close do you think you will get before you are cut down?”

There was a long moment of silence, until the student in question sat down. He had gone pale and was shaking, all the wind had gone out of his sails.

“Anyone else?”

Immediately several of the students raised their hands and their “teacher” pointed to one of them. Although she didn’t turn to see who it was, Ayako was easily able to identify the voice of Ryuudo Issei.

“Sensei, could please give us a better explanation of the situation?”

The priest chuckled before answering, and his gaze swept over all of them.

“Think of it as a competition … or a war.”

Ayako could have sworn that his gaze hovered over Tohsaka as he added that last bit.

“There are forty of you here now, and you will all fight each other until only one is left standing. That one will be declared the winner and will be allowed to return home. If you wish to survive, you must be prepared to do whatever it takes. Anymore?”

It was Ryuudo who asked again.

“How were we chosen, sensei?”

“They gathered the names of all the high school classes in the country and had a computer choose one at random. You were simply the ones fortunate enough to have your names selected.”

“What happened to Kuzuki-sensei?” one of the girls asked, without raising her hand.

The priest simply smiled and motioned towards one of the soldiers who immediately saluted and left the room.

“Kuzuki-sensei was deeply opposed to his students being selected for this year’s game.”

The soldier returned wheeling in a gurney, with something hidden under a white cloth atop it. Ayako couldn’t take her eyes off it and she felt almost numb as the implications sunk in. The priest stepped forward and pulled back the cloth.

Immediately people were screaming again, although it didn’t last nearly as long as before. Kuzuki-sensei’s body was covered in wound and there was dried blood all over him. Ayako felt the bile starting to rise up in the back of her throat but she fought it down and just barely managed to avoid throwing up. The soldiers covered up the body again and removed it from the room.

“Know that Kuzuki-sensei fought very hard on your behalf, a valiant man,” Kotomine-sensei said. “Unfortunately he was both outnumbered and outgunned.”

Several of the students were crying now and Ayako could her own eyes beginning to sting. Part of her was angry and wanted to rage and scream. Another part was frozen in fear, afraid that if she did anything to draw attention to herself then she would end up like Kuzuki-sensei. She felt something warm against her palm and looked down to find that at some point she had grabbed hold of Tohsaka’s hand; until that moment she hadn’t noticed that she herself had been starting to shake, if only slightly. She felt Tohsaka squeeze her hand and without looking she squeezed back, although she didn’t know whether she was trying to give reassurance or receive it.

“Now if there are no more questions,” Kotomine-sensei said. “We will be watching a video. I would encourage you all to watch it very carefully.” With that her pressed play on the video player.

Incredibly cheesy and upbeat music blared from the speakers of the television, it sounded like something out of an old school video game. There was a bright red BR displayed on the screen and over the top a woman announced in a voice that was way too perky for the current ominous atmosphere announced:

“The right way to fight a battle royal, by the BR act committee!”

The dark humour of it may have made her laugh, if she didn’t still feel like she would throw – up if she opened her mouth.

When the title card faded the woman who had spoke appeared on screen. She looked like an idol singer or something, her hair and makeup were obviously professionally done and even her fingernails looked perfectly manicured. She was wearing stylised combat fatigues and looked as bouncy and energetic as her voice suggested. She gave them all a salute as she began speaking again.

“Hello to everyone in class 2 – 2! You guys are the lucky ones chosen to participate in this year’s Battle Royale!”

Yeah, real lucky.

“Now listen carefully while I explain the rules.”

Suddenly the screen changed to show a 3D map of an island, presumably the one they were on. The voice of the presenter immediately confirmed this suspicion, adding that the island was approximately ten kilometres around and that it was abandoned. The “battlefield” was also divided in to several dozen zones and every six hours coordinates would be broadcast telling them which zones were about to become “danger zones”.

“Okay, now about the necklaces you’re wearing! They’re one hundred per cent shock proof and water resistant, and they can’t be removed,” the presenter said, voice still as perky as ever, despite the words she was saying. “They monitor your vital signs, locations and movements, so if you linger too long in a danger zone – BOOM – it explodes.”

Ayako should have felt something over that announcement, she really should have; shock, fear, anger anything. But she didn’t, after all the things they had already been told in the last few minutes she couldn’t bring herself to feel anything more, not even over something like this.

“Ah, it’ll also explode if you try to remove it, so don’t okay?” the presenter added, with a cheesy smile. “Now this game has a seventy-two hour time limit, so if we don’t have a winner after three days all the necklaces explode and nobody wins.”

Ayako remembered some of the first words their new “teacher” had said to them:

I have been asked to conduct your education for the next three days.

Then the doors to the classroom burst open once more and two cages containing dozens of holdalls were brought in.

“Now, you’ll leave the room one at a time as I call your names, “ the girl in the video said. “But first you get a kit. Inside will be food and water, a map and compass, a flashlight and a random weapon. Oh, the girls might also need personally items, so you can take them with you.”

How kind of them, she thought. Even in her own mind those words dripped with sarcasm. Distantly she realised it wouldn’t be a problem for her, she wasn’t due on for another couple of weeks.

“Now, when I say your name I want to here a nice big “Here!”

“Boys number one: Ryuudo Issei.”

“Here!” Ryuudo said, rising from his seat. One of the soldiers threw a holdall at him, he caught it, then bolted for the door.

“Girls number one: Tohsaka Rin.”

“Here,” Tohsaka answered, surprising Ayako by managing to keep her voice even. A bag came hurtling towards her, she caught it deftly and walked towards the doorway. If Ayako hadn’t known better, she would have sworn the girl didn’t feel fear.

“Boys number two: Matou Shinji.”

Shinji didn’t even bother to answer as he rose from his seat. He caught the bag easily enough, then he walked quickly towards the door.

“Girls number two: Makidera Kaede.”

“Here!” Makidera leapt out of her seat and sprinted towards the door, catching her bag on the run.

“Boys number three: Emiya Shirou,”

“Here.” Again Ayako was caught by surprise as Emiya’s voice was almost as even as Tohsaka’s. As he walked by though, she could see his face wasn’t as expressionless as the school idol’s had been. His brow was furrowed but he didn’t look scared, in fact he looked angry. He caught his “kit” then walked determinedly out of the room.

“Girls number three: Mitsuzuri Ayako.”

“Here.” She answered, feeling an icy chill run down her spine as she rose to her feet and barely managing to keep her voice from breaking. She was determined not to show her fear, if Tohsaka and Emiya could do it, then so could she. She almost fumbled the bag as she caught it but managed to keep hold of it and restrained herself to a walk as she headed towards the door. Only once she was out in the hallway and a safe distance from the classroom, did she allow herself to pick up the pace. The school building they were in seemed to have the same layout a lot of Japanese schools favoured, so it was easy enough to find the exit.

She burst through the doors and felt the fresh night air against her skin. She stopped just for a second, allowing herself to breath it in. Then she heard footsteps echoing from within the building and started running again, vanishing in to the night.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

AN: What's this, yet another fic from PhoenixAct? Yes but with one big difference, this one will actually have an ending. How can I say that with such certainty? Because it's already finished, seriously it's sitting on my hard drive, all I'm doing is giving it one last look over before I post.

So read and enjoy.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

This had better be a straight crossover with Fate/Stay Night, in that magic exists and Rin and Shirou have their powers. Otherwise, without that special advantage, things are going to end poorly no matter what.

The Warrior of the Shadows kinlyki's Avatar
    I agree with Cataquack.

On a side note: Cataquack? What kind of username is that?
    With each day, one draws closer to death,

With each day, one expends more of one's life,

With each day, one obtains more memories,

With each day, one gets closer to losing them all.

Thirded. But I'm rather interested in this. Quite looking forward to more.

Blog Entries
    My god, this has such potential. And yes, they better have magic or else it will suck.
    I'm not famous. My conscience is.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting - I haven't seen a Battle Royale crossover in a while . . . Though you'll be hard-pressed to match that one for entertainment - it was with Azumanga Daioh.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Its finished?

Awesome! Will follow, then!
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Chapter II – Dramatis Personae

Ayako kept running until her legs ached and she could barely breathe. She’d headed straight in to the nearby woods as soon as she’d left the school building. As she’d sprinted through the overgrowth she barely noticed the tears that had begun leaking from her eyes, or the fact that only her ragged gasps for air prevented any choked sobs from escaping her throat.

Eventually she could run no further, both her legs and lungs burned and the urge to be sick had only grown worse. She leaned heavily against a large tree and slid down until she was sitting at the base. She placed her head between her legs and took several deep breaths, by the time her breathing had almost returned to normal her stomach had calmed significantly and no new tears were leaking from her eyes. She wiped at her face with her sleeve and rested her head back against the tree so she could stare up at the sky. It was a full moon tonight and that was lucky, any less light and she might have fallen in her mad flight and if she injured herself out here… She was still having a hard time believing any of this was real but logically she knew she had to.

But she couldn’t just kill everyone else. She knew the people in that class, some of them were her friends, like the three girls on the track team. Yeah Makidera could be a bit of a loudmouth at times but she was still a good person, and she couldn’t even imagine trying to harm someone as soft-spoken as Saegusa Yukika. Besides, even with the ones she didn’t know very well, how could they expect her to just kill them like it was nothing?

But … but she didn’t want to die, either.

She lowered her gaze from the sky and caught sight of the holdall resting at her feet; she tugged it towards her and opened it up. The map was at the top, it was inside a clear, zip-lock bag along with a compass, a pencil and the flashlight. The food wasn’t much, two small loaves of bread and two bottles of water, there was no way that could last her the entire three days. She searched deeper in her bag for the weapon she was supposed to have been given and found … a paper fan. Well that was just great. A quick assessment of her situation, she was alone in the middle of the woods, unarmed and everyone else on this island would be trying to kill her.

She threw the useless “weapon” to the side and dropped her head in to her hands, then froze. It felt like she was being watched and she was suddenly completely aware of just how very vulnerable she was. Slowly she got to her feet and strained her eyes to try to see through the dark for whoever may be out there.

“Who’s there?” she asked, feeling just like the dumb girl who always walks towards the mysterious noise in horror movies and crime thrillers. She scanned the ground for a large enough rock or anything else she could use as a weapon. There was nothing, just her luck.

There was a snap and a crunch, what sounded like it could be twigs and dried leaves breaking under foot. She spun to face the noise and turned to find someone walking out of the darkness towards her. Everything seemed to go still, everything except her heart, which was pounding like crazy in her chest. Until the figure spoke:

“Geez Mitsuzuri, you breathe so loud I could’ve shot you in the dark.”

Ayako would never admit it to anyone, ever, even under torture but the sound of that voice actually caused a wave of relief to sweep over her.

“T-Tohsaka!?” she exclaimed.

Indeed it was the figure of Tohsaka Rin that stood in front of her, looking hardly any worse for wear despite having to have run almost as fast as her. Either that, or Ayako had been sitting under that tree for longer than she thought she had. She on the other hand, she’d been crying and her clothes had already gotten pretty dishevelled and dirty.

She also noted that Tohsaka had her holdall in her right hand, seemingly unopened. Her other hand however, was empty.

“Shoot me with what, Tohsaka? You don’t have a weapon.” Despite everything she couldn’t help but smirk as she said it.

To her surprise the other girl hesitated briefly, before almost immediately regaining her composure.

“The point is, if it was anyone else you’d be dead,” Tohsaka replied, playing with her hair with one hand.

“So why aren’t I?” she asked.

“Hm, well while I was watching you I had an idea.”

“An idea?” she asked, raising her eyebrow.

“Well, I was thinking that perhaps we could team-up.”

“Team up?”

“Really Mitsuzuri,” Tohsaka said, sighing melodramatically. “Are you just going to repeat everything I say? If that’s the case, maybe I overestimated you.”

Ayako felt the colour rise in her cheeks and she narrowed her eyes at the girl.

“Shut up, Tohsaka. Besides, why would you want to team-up?”

“Well because we’ll stand a better chance together, naturally.”

Ayako thought it over.; Tohsaka’s logic was kind of sound in a way. At least, it was true that they were more likely to survive against everyone else if there were two of them. Still, there was a pretty big flaw in her plan.

“That’s true but Tohsaka, that priest guy said that there could only be one winner.”

Her rival was silent for a second before answering in a voice that was quieter than before:

“Well maybe, we can help each other until there’s no one else, then we could…”

“What, turn on each other?” she asked. Her voice sounded harsh even to her own ears, though she hadn’t meant it to come out like that. She hadn’t been able to help it, the image of her standing over Tohsaka’s bloody and mangled corpse had just forced its way in to her head and it had turned her stomach. Apparently her tone had been enough to cause Tohsaka to wince.

“No! I – I mean yes but on an even playing field, give each other a fair chance?”

Ayako turned the idea over in her mind. Team-up against all enemies then face other in honourable combat? It sounded like a samurai movies. If she accepted, there was always the chance that Tohsaka would stab her in the back. However, at the moment her only other option was to go against everyone else, by herself and unarmed. She sighed.

“Geez Tohsaka, when did you turn in to a samurai?”

“And what’s that supposed to mean,” Tohsaka grumbled.

“Nothing, nothing,” Ayako replied. “Well, I guess we have deal,” she continued, extending her hand, which Tohsaka grasped firmly.

“Deal,” she replied. “Now grab your stuff and let’s get going.”

“Eh? Going where?”

“Well, we need to find somewhere safer to spend the night, unless you want to spend it here where anyone can sneak up on us?” Tohsaka said, as though it was obvious, which it actually kind of was and Ayako could kick herself for not realising it earlier. With a sighed she zipped up her bag, hefted it up on to her shoulder and followed Tohsaka back in to the night.

- - -

Saegusa Yukika walked along behind Himuro Kane, with her right hand firmly clasped in the other girl’s left, and to their side walked Makidera Kaede. Of the three of them her name had been the last one called, actually her name had been the last one called out of the whole class. At the end it had just been her and all those soldiers and that scary priest all alone in that room. She’d been able to feel their eyes on her, she hadn’t been able to stop trembling, and she had completely frozen in fear when she had finally heard the lady on the tape say her name. She had only started moving again when one of the soldiers yelled at her. She’d dropped the bag they’d thrown at her and had had to pick it back up. She knew that tears had being pouring from her eyes the whole time too.

She’d walked through the corridors of the school, shaking every step of the way and very reluctant to step outside. In her mind’s eye she had seen all of her classmates waiting outside, waiting to kill her in increasingly horrific ways. She stayed there, in front of that door for ages, simply looking out at the night through the windows. After what had felt like an eternity, she had somehow managed to muster the courage to push the door open and cross the threshold. All the while she had been hugging the holdall to herself like it was a teddy bear.

The other students had not been waiting there, in fact the area outside the door had seemed completely empty but that had only scared her worse. She couldn’t help but imagine that someone or something was waiting for her in the darkness, just out of sight. Then something had grabbed her from behind. She’d been too scared to struggled or even scream; instead she’d simply collapsed, fallen to her knees like a puppet. Fortunately for her it had turned out to be Makidera who had grabbed her and Kane-chan was with her! Never in her life had she been so glad to see someone else as she had been in that moment. She’d flung her arms around her friend’s neck and started sobbing in to her shoulder. She had no idea how long she’d cried for but Makidera had displayed an uncharacteristic amount of patience; simply holding her and rubbing her back as she continued to cry.

When the tears had finally stopped coming, she had discovered that at some point she had wet herself, probably when she had been grabbed from behind. Her two friends were kind enough to pretend not to notice.

It turned put that her two friends had been waiting for her since their own names had been called. As soon as they had left the school they had hidden themselves nearby and waited for her to appear. They had admitted to worrying when she had taken so long after the person before her had left. That these two were still here for her had taken a little of the edge off of her fear, in fact she had felt a little warmth inside, despite the situation. Yeah, as long as she was with her friends she would be alright.

Now some time later, that optimism was dying down and the icy fear was creeping back in to the pit of her stomach. She had started to notice how tense her friends were, how when they spoke to each other it was in short, clipped sentences and their voices were always hushed. She’d begun to notice that everywhere they went their eyes darted over every shadow, as though it might hold a potential threat. And she’d noticed how tense the muscles in Kane-chan’s hand and arm were.

Not to mention that despite her time as part of the track team, her feet and legs were beginning to ache fiercely. After leaving the school the three of them had reached a beach and had followed the shoreline for quite a distance; now sheer cliff face loomed over them as they continued to make their way across the sands, the surf lapping at the soles of their shoes.

The moonlight reflected of off the item in Makidera’s hand. It looked like an army-style combat knife, one edge was sharp and smooth, the other edge was serrated and the blade had been polished until it gleamed. The Black Panther held it tight, despite the fact that she didn’t think the other girl had used a weapon like that before, or any weapon at all really. Certainly she’d never heard of Makidera doing any sort of martial art or anything like that. She’d also noticed that Kane-chan’s right hand was stuffed in to her pocket and was apparently clutching something pretty tightly.

Finally just as it felt like the ache in her legs was about to turn in to real pain, they stopped.

“I believe we can rest here until the morning,” she heard Kane-chan say.

She looked around her friend and saw a large hole in the cliff in front of them, the entrance to a cave. Inside it looked pitch black and ominous and just the sight of it caused a shiver to run down her spine.

“Um, do we really have to go in there?” she asked, her voice small.

“We don’t need to go in far,” Kane-chan replied. “Just far enough to be hidden. Besides, we have flashlights.”

She nodded at Makidera who rummaged around in her bag until she produced the item in question with a smile on her lips. With a click she turned it on a together they advanced in to the darkness. They hadn’t gone far when Kane-chan called a halt again.

“This should be far enough.”

“So we can set-up camp?” Makidera asked.

“Yes,” Kane-chan replied. “However, we will still need someone to keep watch.”

“I’ll do it!” Makidera responded.

“Very well,” Kane-chan said. “Wake me in a few hours; do not try to stay up the whole night by yourself.”

“Please, I’m not stupid.”

Kane-chan apparently decided not to dignify that with an answer and simply walked away. That left Yukika looking around nervously, trying to find a place to rest. Then she caught sight of Kane-chan again who was sat leaning against the wall, and she motioned for her to come over, so she did.

“Lay down,” her friend said and patted her lap.

Yukika nodded and did as she was told. The cave floor was cold, hard and uncomfortable but Kane-chan’s lap was warm and soft and as she lay there her earlier thoughts came back to her; as long as she had her friends she’d be alright.

- - -

Emiya Shirou sat in the dark; in the middle of what he thought was likely an old tool shed. He didn’t dare turn his flashlight on because he would soon be out of it for a while and naturally, he didn’t want anyone sneaking up on him.

Oh, and he was pissed off! Although not as much as he had been only a couple of hours earlier. Right after the “class” he had been incredibly angry, there had been fear as well but it had been almost completely overwhelmed by his fury. This entire situation was absurd! They told them this “game” was supposed to help curb youth crime or something like that? It was just pointless killing; nothing good could come from this. The fact that they had referred to it as a “game” and used that cheesy video with the cutesy presenter had caused his anger to burn even hotter. Game? This was no game, people were going to die.

He’d felt his anger growing during the entire time in that classroom after the priest and soldiers had walked in. In fact, something about that priest simultaneously unnerved him and annoyed him. The man had had a tiny smile on his face and a glimmer in his eyes while he had been explaining everything; as though he was enjoying all the fear he was inspiring in the students. The same fear Shirou had seen written plain on the faces of each and every one of his classmates, when he’d taken a second to glance around the room. The look of pure terror in their eyes had made him determined to do something about it.

As he’d stormed through the woods he had managed to calm himself a little and that had allowed conscious thought to prevail over his anger. He had to save everyone here, he had to! Or at least save as many as possible. The only question was how? They seemed to have them pretty neatly trapped. He’d gone to scratch at the back of his neck whilst thinking about that and had felt his fingertips brush against cold steel. The necklace. That was the primary problem, as long as that was in play he couldn’t do anything to try and get the others out of here. If the tape was to be believed, then if he even tried…

That was part of the reason he was sitting here now. He had spent some time searching he could be alone without worrying as much about whether anyone would find him. They’d told them that the collar was tamperproof but he didn’t think they would have anticipated somebody like him, who could instantly analysis something without really tampering with it. He supposed it was still possible that it could explode but he thought it was unlikely. This was the only real thing he could do anyway, it wasn’t like he had any other leads.

He sat with his legs crossed in a corner of the room, and his fingers were interlaced in his lap. He retreated inside himself focusing on what he needed to do, concentrating on establishing the circuit. He muttered the familiar words under his breath “trace on”, and he felt the sensation he was well used to by this point, it was like white-hot steel being inserted in to his spine. He didn’t make any noise, no grunts or groans of pain as it happened, although his breathing did deepen slightly.

That done he took a couple of seconds to recover, then he place his fingertips against the collar around his neck and whispered his words again. Almost instantly he was able to “see” and understand all the components that made up the device. He could distinguish the parts that made up the explosive, the parts that transmitted information, the parts that were intended to detect any tampering and several small pieces that worked as … a microphone? Tch, so they were listening in on them too. Both the priest and the girl on the tape had conveniently forgotten to mention that part.

He spent a while sitting there, examining the device, yet no matter how much he scrutinised he could find no easy way to deactivate it. Whoever had designed it had done their job well. In the end he committed as much of it to memory as he could and then allowed his hands to fall away from his neck. He sighed a little and stretched his limbs as he rose to his feet. He wasn’t giving up, it was just obvious that he would have to put some thought in to this and he couldn’t keep the spell up the whole time. Still, first thing was first, he took his handkerchief out of his pocket and folded it over on itself a couple of times. Then he inserted it between his throat and the necklace, making sure to cover the receiver for the microphone.

After that he set to rummaging around in the bag they had given him, on the off chance that there was anything that he could use. Aside from the food and water he found what he had been given as his weapon, it ran the entire length of the bag and he pulled it out to examine it. It was a Japanese sword, a katana and it rested in a battered, black scabbard. He unsheathed it and saw that the blade was in far better condition, it was polished and well maintained. He ran his finger along its edge and confirmed that it was indeed very sharp. He frowned; he didn’t really want it as he had no intention of killing anyone. At the same time he couldn’t really leave something like this lying around.

He sighed and re-sheathed the weapon, placing it on the floor in front of him as he sat back down. There was nothing in the bag that was going to be of any use to him. He lay on his back and stared up at the ceiling as he tried to think up ways to get rid of the damn collar.

He would get as many people out of here as he could, even if it cost him his life.

- - -

It turned out blood looked black under the light of the full moon.

Matou Shinji stood over the rapidly cooling body of one of his former classmates, watching the blood that had poured from her neck slowly start to congeal. She had been one of his “girlfriends”, one of the sluts who had followed him everywhere at school. He couldn’t really remember her name, was it Mitsuki or something like that? Whatever, it wasn’t important, although she had had quite a nice body.

When they’d run in to each other she’d been so happy to see him, convinced that he was going to become her knight in shining armour. He’d dispelled that delusion. She’d been so trusting too, she hadn’t realised anything was wrong until the very last moment. Then he’d seen the fear enter her eyes. He’d shocked her with the stun gun that had they had given him, and then finished her off with her own weapon, a handgun. The single, loud crack had echoed through the trees around them.

He heard the sound of pounding feet from behind him and saw another student, male this time, hurtling towards him. He raised the handgun again, almost lazily and the guy ground to a sudden halt, freezing in place. He fired and the guy went down, but he heard a groan too, telling him his target had not died instantly.

He walked over to the laying figure, which was writhing in agony. As he stood above him he could see the terror in the other student’s eyes. He looked like he wanted to say something, to beg for mercy maybe? But his mouth was filled with blood and all that came out was a pitiful gurgle. Shinji fired once more in to his head.

He gave the corpse a once over, to see if he had anything useful then walked away. He left the dead guy’s weapon on the ground where it had fallen, it was just a sickle, useless compared to the weapon he already had.

In the classroom it had been made obvious that this was about survival of the fittest and he was better than the rest of his school. Their lives were in his hands. He would triumph over all of them, he would be the one to walk away from this.

- - -

In the end they had found what at first they had thought to be a rundown shack. White paint had been peeling away from the wooden exterior and the front porch was crack; but all of the windows appeared to be intact. However once inside it had become apparent that this place had used to be some sort of clinic. What was more the previous owners had left all the furniture behind when they had been relocate, which included several beds. Sure they were covered in dust and smelt musty but it beat having to sleep in the dirt or on the hardwood floor. They’d beat one of the beds in an effort to rid most of the dust from it, the great billowing clouds that came from it cause both of them to erupt in to sneezing fits.

The two had decided that they needed to post a guard, after all it wouldn’t do for them to team-up only to be killed in their sleep, and Rin had volunteered to take the first “watch”. Despite having the whole clinic to themselves they’d decided to stick to the one room, so that they would be better able to guard each other as they slept.

Mitsuzuri had helped her move a table over to one corner of the room, then walked over and hopped up on to one of the beds and lay over the covers. Rin had watched as the other girl tossed and turned, trying to get comfortable but eventually she had grown still and her breathing began to even out. After that Rin had let gaze wander over the rest of the room but there was little to see really; and after a few minutes of sitting quietly in the dark she began to grow bored. Her eyes had wandered back over to the sleeping girl as she’d began to retreat in to her own thoughts.

Her first thought was about that damned fake priest. He had talked to her briefly about the BR Act a couple of weeks ago, she hadn’t thought much of it at the time but it was clear to her now. He had known this was coming, and he hadn’t warned her!

After that, she naturally began to think about her current situation; she was still not quite sure she had made the right move by teaming-up with the other girl, she had been right when she’d said only one could make it out, make it home.

She had all but dived in to hiding when she’d heard footsteps pounding at the ground nearby, then someone had come blundering past. She’d edge out of her hiding place slightly to see who it was, and saw Mitsuzuri sitting under a tree. She’d stayed there, hidden in the shadows for some time, unsure whether she should strike or not. Her hesitation had certainly had nothing to do with the fact that Mitsuzuri had looked like she was crying or that the girl was the closest thing she had to a friend; even if she had needed to quash a part of her that wanted to call out. As a magus she couldn't afford to be overly sentimental. Not to mention she’d been preparing for the Grail War her whole life, she should be used to the idea that she might have to kill by now.

Thoughts had flown through her head as she had been watching. She could win easily if she used magecraft, not just against Mitsuzuri but all the others too. However, she remembered that the devices around their throats were supposed to be monitoring them in some way, what if they picked up evidence of her performing magecraft? She didn’t think that likely but she couldn’t be sure; and if they did, even if she survived this she’d be living on borrowed time. And without magecraft her odds in this “game” fell dramatically. In which case having an ally with some martial experience could prove advantageous.

That didn’t change the fact that there could only be one, but there was nothing to stop them dealing with that once all the others were defeated. She’d give Mitsuzuri a cleaner death than many of the others would too. N-not out of sentimentality but because even though this was a about survival there was no need to be messy or cruel about it. No, she’d save that for that damned fake priest.

When she’d stepped out of hiding and seen the tear tracts on the other girl’s face, for some reason she had been much more confident of her decision.

She was jolted out of her reverie by a sudden noise. Adrenaline poured in to her veins as she slipped out of her chair and knelt on the floor, looking around for the source. She bit back a curse under her breath; she should have been more attentive! She heard the noise again and spun around, her gaze landing on Mitsuzuri. It came a third time and she suddenly realized what was. Mitsuzuri was talking in her sleep, although it was nothing intelligible. It was weird, with her face softened by slumber the tomboy actually looked kind of cute.

She sighed and went back to her seat. Deciding to try to do something constructive so her attention wouldn’t wander again, she grabbed the bag she’d been given and lifted it on to the table in front of her. She rummaged around inside, looking for whatever her weapon was supposed to be, until her fingers brushed against something cold and hard, something that felt like metal. She wrapped her fingers around it and pulled it from the bag.

Huh. Well this looked like could be a stroke of good fortune…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

AN: ​Well, chapter two, enjoy.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Blog Entries
    You know, I completely forgot that Shirou could just analyze the collar like that. I wonder if he'll turn out like Shogo.
    I'm not famous. My conscience is.

I am assuming this is taking place before Fate/Stay Night canon, given the lack of an alliance between Shirou and Rin. This could make things trickier.

Blog Entries
    Looking good so far!

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looking believably grim and dangerous so far - so yes, "good."

C-Rank Presence Ignored TheAbsolutistsCreed's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    068,149,146/IGN: Emprisk
    Excellent, I look forward to reading more.
    US Story Support:

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Man, why does Shinji always have to jump right into being a dick. They could have all worked together.

This is pretty awesome so far. I had no idea what Battle Royale was so I passed over the fic earlier, but it captures the characters so well it doesn't matter.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

US Friend Code
    Then he wouldn't be Shinji. I have a feeling he'll get his anyway considering the premise of this xD
    US Story Support:

Chapter III – First Blood

Ayako felt groggy and could barely keep herself awake as she saw the dull light of early morning shining in through the windows behind the old, threadbare curtains. She could already tell it was going to be a very warm day. For a brief moment everything seemed peaceful despite their situation. Then there was a sudden, loud noise that almost made her jump put of her skin, and did make her fall out of her chair; some of the dust from the floor got up her nose and she sneezed. There was another muffled thump nearby, and as she rose to her feet whilst rubbing her now tender hip, she could hear Tohsaka muttering angrily to herself under her breath. That had definitely managed to clear the fog from her mind, and she suddenly realised that the noise was in fact a trumpet or something similar; it had a tinny, echo-y quality to it that meant it was probably being played over a loudspeaker. A second later came another realization; it was playing the tune that was usually played at military funerals. Someone had a dodgy sense of humour.

She shook her head and walked over to where Tohsaka was still lying on the floor in a heap.

“Hey Tohsaka, are you alright?” she asked, offering her hand. The other girl took it and Ayako hauled her to her feet.

“Just fine,” she grumbled sarcastically in reply, her voice a little thick and her eyes still looking somewhat glazed over. It seemed early mornings didn’t agree with her, and Ayako almost smiled as she got a small peek past the “perfect” image of the school idol.

“What time is it?” Tohsaka asked, but Ayako was spared having to answer when the music quieted down and a voice began to speak over the top of it.

“Good Morning, students! It’s six am, time for a new day!”

Even though she had only heard that voice once before Ayako doubted she would ever forget it. Even with it being distorted slightly by the loudspeakers, that deep rumble still sent a shiver down her spine and ice plummeting in to her stomach. It seemed her partner agreed because they were still holding hands and Ayako could feel her grip tightening.

“Five of you died last night. A good start but I would suggest speeding it up if you wish to become the victor!”

He began to read out names and Ayako began to feel he stomach roil and her heart begin to speed up; she felt like she was going to be sick but at the same time she could feel her blood boiling. Of the five names four were boys, one was a girl and whilst she recognise all of them, none were people she had really been friends with. She couldn’t help feeling some small sense of relief, then the nausea and guilt that came from feeling any sort of relief over the deaths of five people.

“May the Heavenly Father welcome them in to His eternal embrace,” the priest said after he had read out the final name. Something like that could only be a cruel mockery, yet his voice sounded utterly sincere and somehow that only made the sick feeling in her stomach even worse.

She was suddenly distracted from these thoughts by the fact that her partner’s grip was starting to become painful.

“Hey Tohsaka, you can let go now,” she said, forcing a smile and trying (and largely failing) to inject some of their usual teasing levity in to her voice.

Tohsaka looked down at their hands as though only just realising they were still joined, then pulled hers away like it had been burned.

“Sorry,” she mumbled, her voice barely audible over the racket still coming from the speakers.

“Now for the first of the danger zones,” the priest spoke again, “I would advise leaving the following areas within the next hour.”

Tohsaka rushed towards her bag and rummaged through it briefly until she pulled out her map, catching on Ayako scrambled to find her own. The priest read out three sets of coordinates, unfortunately Ayako was only able to get the last one, she had to copy the first two off of Tohsaka. The map had a grid layed over the top and Ayako simply shaded in the corresponding squares with her pencil. As she stared down at the map with its new alterations, a thought occurred to her; she hadn’t kept track of where she was running last night, or what direction Tohsaka had led her in afterwards.

“Good luck!” the priest signed off and that dreadful music finally ceased.

“Hey Tohsaka, do you know where we are?” she asked.

Her companion looked up at her and smiled at her deviously and she narrowed her eyes in response.

“Hm, I would’ve thought you’d be good at stuff like this Mitsuzuri-san,” she said in fake astonishment. “I’m going to have to be the brains on this team aren’t I?” she added, managing to let out an exasperated sigh that was almost convincing.

“Bite me, Tohsaka,” she replied. She was annoyed because even though she Tohsaka was only teasing, she was also right. She was going to have do better if she wanted to survive the next few days.

“Maybe later. Anyway we should be about here,” she responded, pointing to an area on her map.

Ayako withheld a sigh of relief, the spotted Tohsaka was pointing to wasn’t one of the shaded areas and wasn’t close to any of them either. As far as she was concerned that was good, she wasn’t in any rush to leave the relative safety of the clinic.

“Should be, Tohsaka?” she asked, raising an eyebrow, she couldn’t let her teasing go so lightly after all. Now it was her turn to smirk as the other girl narrowed her eyes.

“We are here,” she said, firmly.

Ayako opened her mouth to say something else but was cut off by a low rumbling. She blushed and looked away, realizing that the noise was coming from her own stomach. Well, it was no surprise when you considered that the last time she had eaten a proper meal had been at lunch yesterday, since then all she’d had had been an energy bar whilst on the coach. Last night she hadn’t even thought about food.

“My my Mitsuzuri, so undignified,” Tohsaka said and was immediately betrayed by her own stomach. “W-well,” she stuttered. “I guess it can’t be helped, neither of us has eaten since yesterday.”

After that they had “breakfast”, well Ayako ate half of one of the small loaves of bread, it did very little towards satisfying her hunger. She sighed, there was no way they could last three days on this, they would definitely need to try and find extra food out there. After that she took a couple of gulps of water but only a couple, because if it came down to it the water would be more important than the bread. As she fed she also thought, trying to think up something that would help them survive, whilst staying as far away from the thought of killing as she could, even though she knew that eventually she would have to face it.

“Hey Tohsaka,” she said, as she put her bottle away. “This is a clinic right? So, shouldn’t they have medicine or something here?”

“I was thinking the same thing,” she replied. “But given how long this place has obviously been abandoned, I’m not sure anything we find will be any good. Still, we should probably look. Maybe we should search separately, so we get done faster?”

Ayako felt her stomach clench and she found herself speaking without even thinking about it.

“I don’t think we should,” she said. “I – I mean, we teamed-up to watch each others backs, right? So if we split-up and someone snuck up on one of us … that would defeat the purpose of teaming up in the first place, right?”

Tohsaka just stared at her silently for a long moment, and Ayako was gripped by the sudden fear that the other girl thought she was a coward. She was about to recant her statement, when Tohsaka spoke up.

“You might be right. Although that reminds me,” she added, reaching in to her bag again. “I got this as my weapon but I don’t know how to use it, so you can have it.”

The object she held out to her looked like a complicated mass of metal and plastic but Ayako recognised what it was almost immediately. She easily opened it up to reveal its true form, that of a small, compound bow. Something about having that weapon in her hand made her feel better, more confident; perhaps it was the sense of familiarity, even if she usually used a more traditional wooden bow. Still, it would be useless unless they’d given her some arrows and one other vital piece it was useless.

She turned about to point this out to her partner, only to find her holding out a quiver, complete with arrows, towards her. She took it and counted the arrows inside; there were ten of them in total, she’d have to collect them back after firing them and hope they didn’t break. Still, there was one thing missing.

“Err, Tohsaka…”

“What?”

“There’s no bowstring…”

Tohsaka slapped her palm against her forehead, looking faintly embarrassed for a moment and turned back to her bag. A couple of minutes ticked by as she rummaged inside and Ayako was beginning to think the guys in charge had screwed them over, when Tohsaka let out a soft exclamation and stood back up, holding out a coil of tan-coloured string. Ayako grinned, took it and threaded it in to the ends of the bow with practised ease; that done she raised the weapon and pulled back on the string, testing the tension … perfect.

Suddenly Tohsaka chuckled softly.

“Well, well Mitsuzuri, you almost look cool,” she said and Ayako couldn’t help smiling at her.

“Heh, only one person has ever beaten me with a bow,” she replied. And it’s a good job he didn’t get this, otherwise I know exactly who’d be winning, she added in her head, then tried to ignore the thought that she might have to kill him too, if someone else didn’t do it first.

She strapped the quiver to her torso, so that it rested on her back with the arrows just poking over her right shoulder.

The two then began their search of the building, it was only one storey made up of five rooms and a couple of storerooms. Even though the place wasn’t very big the search still took a while because Tohsaka insisted on examining every room methodically. There wasn’t much left and the amount of dust that covered everything only strengthened Ayako’s fear, that anything they found wouldn’t be useable. Eventually she began to grow irritated, mostly because all the dust they were stirring up kept causing her to sneeze and her nose was starting to sting a little but the increasing heat didn’t help things either. In the end the found a bottle of antiseptic (she’d suffered enough cuts and scrapes in her time to recognise a few types of the stuff) and two boxes of bandages, all of which ended up secreted away in Ayako’s bag.

“That’s all right?” Ayako asked once they’d packed the medicine. Tohsaka didn’t reply, instead she just stood there looking thoughtful. “Hello, Tohsaka?”

“Sorry,” she replied. “I was just thinking, perhaps we should go over our maps before leaving. It would be a bad idea to just start wandering blindly.

Ayako simply shrugged and then agreed, it actually sounded like a pretty good idea to her. So the two of them went back to the table in the “bedroom” and took out their maps. It turned this really wasn’t much help after all, neither of them were really expert trackers, so they didn’t exactly know where people were likely to bunker down. Although there were some buildings marked on the map including the school, a Shinto shrine and a lighthouse near the cliffs. There was also a harbour back near the school but regretfully she pushed any thoughts of escape out of her mind; no doubt the collars would blow their heads off if they went off the map.

After that there wasn’t much point staying any longer, as Tohsaka said, staying here wouldn’t help them in the long term; Tohsaka volunteered to carry both bags, since Ayako was the one with the weapon. Her stomach began to twist itself into knots and a brief tingling sensation ran over the surface of her skin. She looked at Tohsaka who nodded; Ayako reached for the door, turned the knob slowly and then yanked it open. She took a deep breath before crossing the threshold, her bow held ready and an arrow nocked.

She hadn’t realized just how musty the inside of that building had been until she was breathing fresh air again, well fresher air. The sun was shining down on them brightly, it was also very hot and the air was close and muggy. She was only outside a few seconds when she started to feel sweat breaking out on the back of her neck. With how high the pollen count must be, she was thankful that she didn’t suffer from hay fever. She felt sorry for her partner too, having to carry both holdalls in this heat.

As they continued to trudge along the dirt path leading away from the clinic, the heat only continued to get worse or physical exertion made it seem that way; it was becoming difficult to maintain her focus. She unbutton the waistcoat that was part of her school uniform and removed the ribbon from around her throat, stuffing it in to a pocket Then it managed to get even worse, she felt a sudden, sharp sting on her neck and instinctively her hand came up to slap at it, releasing the end of the arrow and letting it fall in to the dirt. Mosquitos, perfect.

A shrill, high-pitched scream pierced the air, like a war cry from the throat of a lunatic and she almost jumped out of her skin. She raised her head and saw someone hurtling down the path towards her. They were wearing the boy’s uniform and even at this distance she could see the look in his eyes, this guy had worked himself up in to a crazed fury. One arm was raised above his head, and the sun glinted of off whatever was in his hand. It took about two seconds for these thoughts to pass through her head, but in that time the guy had already covered almost the entire distance between them. Instinctively she ducked and then dove to the side, feeling the wind get knocked out of her as she landed awkwardly in the overgrowth on the same hip she’d fallen on earlier.

She pushed herself to her knees and looked back at the road; and saw that the attacker was switching to a new target. Tohsaka was already on her ass, one hand extended towards her assailant and Ayako cursed; obviously Tohsaka was going to find it difficult to fight back whilst carrying both bags. She hurriedly reached over her shoulder and grabbed another arrow almost fumbling it in the process, she nocked it, raised her bow and pulled back on the string. She hesitated for a second, imagining her arrow ripping in to soft human flesh. Then he raised his arms again and began to towards Tohsaka. She released the arrow and it soared through the air and struck home, burying itself at the base of his skull. To Ayako he seemed to fall in slow motion, he dropped forward and straight down, landing on his front. Then his right hand twitched once, twice and stopped.

For a moment everything was still and Ayako could feel her blood thundering its way through her body, could hear her breathing echoing in her ears. She had just – she had… But she’d had no choice, he’d been about to kill Tohsaka… Tohsaka!

Her eyes immediately veered away from the male student and locked on to her partner, who was struggling to get back up.

Without much thought she rushed forward to help. Any other time the sight of Tohsaka on her ass, struggling to stand would be funny but right now she didn’t feel much like laughing. She helped her fallen friend disentangle herself from the bag straps, then offered her a hand and hauled her back to her feet.

“You alright, Tohsaka?” she asked, as she help her up. The girl in question was silent for a moment before responding.

“I’m fine,” she responded, just before she could ask again. However Ayako wasn’t so sure, it was something that had hung in that brief moment of silence, something that had lingered in her eyes for just a second. Of course it could just be her imagination but she didn’t think so, it was only natural to be a little shaken after nearly being killed. The guy had been all but standing over her, weapon raised when the arrow had hit.

She gave Tohsaka one last pat on her shoulder and turned around; she had to recover her arrows. The first thing she saw was the boy she had just shot, her eyes locking on to him immediately against her will. Her arrow was sticking out of his back, directly over his heart; a lucky shot, she was forced to admit to herself… That one would probably break if she tried to pull it out anyway, she could get by with nine, one arrow wouldn’t make much of a difference. She stepped carefully over the body and walked over to the arrow she had dropped when the mosquito had bit her. She picked it up and examined it; it looked to still be in perfect condition, she guessed she was lucky that guy hadn’t trodden on it. It occurred to her then that it was her lack of concentration that had almost gotten the both of them killed, not just her but Tohsaka too, she would have to do better from now on.

She felt someone tap her on the shoulder and turned to find Tohsaka standing their,

“Here,” she said, extending her hand. There was an arrow in it and its tip was red with blood. With the briefest bit of hesitation Ayako took it.

“Thanks,” she mumbled and shoved it back in to her quiver, she really didn’t want to touch it for any longer than was necessary. Tohsaka nodded but otherwise didn’t move, she had a determined look on her face, like she was trying to resolve an inner conflict. After a second or two she opened her mouth again.

“And Mitsuzuri … thank you,” she said. With that she turned away, presumably to go and retrieve the bags.

Ayako simply stood staring at her, unsure of what to say. She thought that, in a situation like this to simply saying “it was nothing” or otherwise try to be modest would sound kind of false. In a few seconds her partner was back beside her, both bags over her shoulders once more. She caught the sun reflecting off of something at Tohsaka’s waist and looked down to see that she suddenly had a hatchet tucked in to the waistband of her skirt. She was on the verge of asking where she had gotten in but then decided against it, she’d rather not know. Besides after that display, it was probably better for Tohsaka to be armed too.

“Did you see where that guy came from?” Tohsaka asked her.

“From the side of the road a little further up, I think,” she responded. To which Tohsaka nodded.

“We need to find his bag; he might still have some bread and water.”

What? Wasn’t that kind of cold? And how could Tohsaka be so casual about it?

“H-hey Tohsaka,” she stuttered. “Isn’t that kinda… I mean to just kill that guy and then take his stuff…”

“Well, it’s not like he’s using them anymore,” she replied. “Besides you were the one that killed him.”

Her hands instinctively clenched in to fists, and for a moment she felt her blood begin to boil in her veins. It only lasted for a moment and she forced it down, making herself take several deeps breaths.

“But Tohsaka,” she finally managed to get out.

“And how long do you think we’re going to last on what we have?

She paused, logically she couldn’t argue against was Tohsaka was saying, even though she wanted to, although that didn’t make her feel any better about it. She had admitted to herself earlier that they wouldn’t be able to get by on what they had. The mere idea turned her stomach but she was forced to acknowledge the truth of it; he didn’t need it any longer, they did.

“Alright then, let’s find it.”

- - -

Shirou trudged through the overgrowth of the woods, his holdall slung over his left shoulder so that it rested at his right hip and his sword was threaded through his belt on the opposite hip. He paid no attention to the beauty of the nature that surrounded him and his footsteps were powered by equal parts anger and determination. Some of the former was aimed at himself, he had lain awake all night trying to come up with a solution and he just hadn’t been able to come up with anything; if he was a better magus he might be able to do something about the collar but as things stood…

He’d heard the announcement that morning too, the one given by that sinister priest and it had made his stomach churn. Five people were already dead? He had found it hard to believe, that some of his classmates, people he knew, had already given in to this madness. Now five people were dead. Five people he had failed to save.

Well he couldn’t allow any more of that, he couldn’t allow anymore senseless deaths! Even if he didn’t have a real solution right now, he had to at least try to stop everyone from killing each other. He was sure that there were still some people left who would listen to reason. Of course the addition of the danger zones had increased the difficulty of his task, now there were several areas of the island that he had to avoid.

The sound of that sinister priest’s voice had also renewed his anger at the people who were behind this as well. The way he had so casually listed of the names, had encouraged everyone to kill more and even that little prayer he had said for them; all of it annoyed him! The voice had an undercurrent of amusement to it, as though its owner was mocking them and he delighted In what was going on. Shirou had no idea how that man had become a priest when he was so clearly evil.

He had passed three of the bodies already this morning, all of them male. They had all been near to each other and from their positions, he guessed they had all been left where they fell. He had felt a need to examine the bodies closer, even though the sight of them had made him feel sick. The front of all their jackets had been stained red, the blood having been dry. They looked like they had all been shot a number of times. He wasn’t able to learn much more than that and even though it pained him, he was forced to leave them where they were. He didn’t really have the ability to bury them right now, nor did he have the time; there were plenty of still-living people who needed his help. So he had gritted his teeth, risen to his feet and carried on his way.

Suddenly he realised that everything was quiet, that even the insects had fallen silent. Then he heard a noise, a hard, dry click and then the sound of footsteps from behind him. He dropped his bag and spun around, his hand already on the hilt of his sword but then he froze. He recognised the figure in front of him.

“Issei!” he exclaimed.

It was his current best-friend Ryuudo Issei standing in front of him. It was strange even though his uniform was clearly stained and dirty, he had still managed to retain his air of quiet dignity. His back was straight and he held his head high, though not in a way that came across as arrogant. His glasses were still intact too and the light of the sun glared off them, hiding his eyes. One arm was extended, directed towards Shirou and in his fist he held a gun; it was a little larger than a handgun, perhaps an Uzi or something like that?

Shirou swallowed, why was his friend pointing a gun at him?

“Hello Emiya,” came the reply.

“Um Issei,” Shirou said. “Could you lower the gun?”

“If you release your sword.”

Shirou did so, immediately releasing his grip on it and pulling his hand away. Issei responded in kind, although much more slowly.

“Issei, what are you doing out here?” Shirou asked.

“Isn’t that obvious? I am surviving.”

“Surviving?”

“Yes, that is what all this is about after all.”

Shirou didn’t know why but there was something about his friend’s tone sent a shiver down his spine.

“I see,” Shirou replied. He had a sudden thought that maybe he could ask Issei to team up; even if he couldn’t help him with an escape plan he was student council president, the others would listen to him. However, he didn’t know how well his handkerchief was blocking the microphone, it was small and not very powerful but he would be more comfortable talking in low voices or even writing notes instead of talking.

“Hey Issei, how about we go somewhere and talk?” he asked.

“I would prefer to talk right here,” Issei replied. “What is it you want to say, Emiya?”

“I thought … I thought that maybe we could team-up?”

“Team-up?” Issei repeated. “You are aware that only one of us will be allowed to survive?”

Shirou frowned, how could he persuade Issei without revealing too much?

“There might be another way,” he said.

“Another way?” Issei repeated again, then for some reason he chuckled good-naturedly. “That was always your problem Emiya, you were always far too kind but it was clear from what we were told that there will be no other way out of this. No Emiya, as usual the best way to go about this is to play by the rules.”

“Issei…” Shirou trailed off, unwilling to believe what he was hearing.

“Besides, my hands already have blood on them.”

For a second the words refused to register in Shirou’s mind, then their meaning struck him with a horrifying clarity. Was Issei honestly saying that he had already killed someone? No way, Issei wasn’t that kind of person, he was a monk! Then the image of the three bodies he had seen returned to him, the way they had all looked like they’d been shot multiple times and here Issei was, holding a weapon that fired multiple rounds with a single squeeze of the trigger; a weapon that was once again raised and pointed directly at him.

“Because of that kindness and in regards to our friendship, I’ll let you go this time,” Issei continued. “However a word of warning Emiya, unless you harden yourself you won’t survive this.” With that he turned and began to walk away, pausing briefly to say over his shoulder:

“I’m sorry, Emiya…”

Shirou said nothing in return. He simply stood there staring after his friend, even after the other boy had vanished from his sight.

That night when he found a place to rest he would study the collar again, he determined. He had to find some way to break it and quickly. It appeared time was even more of the essence than he had originally thought.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Author's Note: ​Chapter three ladies and gentlemen, enjoy.

Greatness, at any cost mAc Chaos's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Throw xN
    Blog Entries
    Awesome chapter. Ayako and Rin are perfectly in character, although I'd like to see what Rin was thinking during that whole exchange.

Not sure about Issei... kind of disappointed to see him pull a Shinji. It's true he plays by the rules, but he also seems the type to be very stubborn and refuse to do something just because someone is forcing him to, out of principle.

I like seeing Shirou most of all because he is pretty much completely the same and it's like just another part of Fate.

I wonder what got Kotomine dragged into this whole thing or what he thinks of it all.
    Last edited by mAc Chaos; May 14th, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
    He never sleeps. He never dies.

Battle doesn't need a purpose; the battle is its own purpose. You don't ask why a plague spreads or a field burns. Don't ask why I fight.

US Friend Code
    Troll Kotomine is trolling, enough said.
    US Story Support:

Issei's character is once again dubious. Just like in 'Bundle of Joy'. But overall I like this chapter.

Blog Entries
    Delicious. Consider making an index?

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-