Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Of Swords and Sorcery: Through fire and flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycodrake View Post
    Nagas are still not mundane snakes. Which is my point.
    Just like the Hydra and Jormungandr are not mundane snakes.
    My point is that they're still called snakes whether they're mundane or not, because the Ancient Greek differentiation of terms doesn't matter to myths from India.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vigilantia View Post
    Time to go to the holodeck! *Rams head up Sakura's vagina*

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six mangafreak7793's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    For the record, Campione! is shit when it comes to actual mythology. So is Type-Moon, but at least it tries.
    Oh I'm not denying that at all but at least (to me) sounds somewhat plausible so I'm just enjoying the ride. (It helps that I don't know much about Mythology)

Teasing the Penguin God!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuradora View Post
    My point is that they're still called snakes whether they're mundane or not, because the Ancient Greek differentiation of terms doesn't matter to myths from India.
    But, in the case of English, when you think "snake" your range of thought goes from harmless grass snake to a king cobra to an andaconda/python.
    Serpent might bring in mind those, but sea serpent certainly shouldn't, which is what (IIRC) Jormungandr is most known as in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mangafreak7793 View Post
    ....Those are fighting words!

I immensely enjoy the harem antics in Campione while granted some of them are predictable and even for me facepalms at some of the stuff it pulls, I enjoy it nonetheless (except for a few of those scenes and the anime)

As as side-note, I have not read Mondaitachi yet due to me waiting for completed volumes.
    Ehh, I like most of the harem girls in Campione, but the harem itself just gets tiresome after a while. Seriously.
    Liliana and Yuri <3, though.

Pretty much.

For the record, Campione! is shit when it comes to actual mythology. So is Type-Moon, but at least it tries.
    Fine, fine, they're not mundane snakes so we should call them serpents, we get it, mate. But it's just not something making a fuss over. xD

And no one said it had to stick to the sources, Lyco. That's also part of what makes it a work of fiction, y'know. Not to mention that it's pretty much hinted at in-story that the magic organizations in Campione purposely hide and alter information about deities in hopes of containing the birth of Heretic Gods, so there's that.

I still cannot for the life of me comprehend why the artistic license interpretations in Campione bother you so much compared to Fate's.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Vigilant. Relied Upon. Vigilantia's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pretty much.

[edit]
    If you want to see if snakes are considered "evil," or "bad," in western society then just look up the definition. If I call you a snake, it isn't a compliment. Calling you a cat, wolf or seal doesn't have the same negative connotation.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
    Ehh, I like most of the harem girls in Campione, but the harem itself just gets tiresome after a while. Seriously.
    Liliana and Yuri <3, though.

Fine, fine, they're not mundane snakes so we should call them serpents, we get it, mate. But it's just not something making a fuss over. xD

And no one said it had to stick to the sources, Lyco. That's also part of what makes it a work of fiction, y'know. Not to mention that it's pretty much hinted at in-story that the magic organizations in Campione purposely hide and alter information about deities in hopes of containing the birth of Heretic Gods, so there's that.

I still cannot for the life of me comprehend why the artistic license interpretations in Campione bother you so much compared to Fate's.
    Fair enough, but it has an obligation to make those scenes so you can't really blame it for that. I also see you forgot to mention Ena's name but yeah Yuri and Liliana (especially her) are hilarious.

I also think it's because Lycodrake doesn't think Fate tries to be accurate at all and takes it as a pure fantasy while Campione seems to attempt to make sense of the mythos.

Teasing the Penguin God!

Blog Entries
    Fair enough, but it has an obligation to make those scenes so you can't really blame it for that. I also see you forgot to mention Ena's name but yeah Yuri and Liliana (especially her) are hilarious.

I also think it's because Lycodrake doesn't think Fate tries to be accurate at all and takes it as a pure fantasy while Campione seems to attempt to make sense of the mythos.
    Naaaah~, I don't blame the series for delivering what's expected out of one of its secondary genres.
    Ena is funny, but I really really like Yuri and Liliana. They both have really endearing moments, and also pretty funny ones.
    Liliana's delusions and novels. x3

Well, that's just silly. No one said Campione was a mythological treaty or official work, there's no reason to diss it as such when it's not anything more than fantasy fiction.
    Last edited by YeOfLittleFaith; May 13th, 2013 at 11:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Correct. Nasu at least admits that he's not trying to necessarily stick to the original, while Campione's author seems to be pretending to have a degree in mythology - see Athena. :/
    Last edited by Lycodrake; May 13th, 2013 at 11:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT

Blog Entries
    Correct. Nasu at least admits that he's not trying to necessarily stick to the original, while Campione's author seems to be pretending to have a degree in mythology.
    I really don't see where you got this from. Just cause in-universe the characters treat those things as facts, doesn't mean the author promotes them as true.
    It's clear he did some research, and then put his own twists and made up his own in-universe details to things, but no one ever said it was supposed to be taken as an an academical work. xD

Correct. Nasu at least admits that he's not trying to necessarily stick to the original, while Campione's author seems to be pretending to have a degree in mythology - see Athena. :/
    Honest Questions: Do you have a degree in mythology? Is that why Taketsuki pisses you off so much?

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    All together manga or just what I've rewritten to date? I lost quite a bit, atm I've managed to rewrite most of the prologue but plot wise it's finished all the way through to the epilogue dealing with the moon cell, Merlin and the fight with Kojiro

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    All together manga or just what I've rewritten to date? I lost quite a bit, atm I've managed to rewrite most of the prologue but plot wise it's finished all the way through to the epilogue dealing with the moon cell, Merlin and the fight with Kojiro
    Then start with that and released that (probably going through a beta first) then the story, side stories come either after the main story or somewhere after a certain arc.

Teasing the Penguin God!

the master of infinite roads lantzblades's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    that was the plan, it's just that this particular side bit happens at about the mid point of chapter one. so it's a point of semantics with this in particular
    http://forums.darksidemoon.net

come join us, Darksidemoon is a new forum for discussion of all things tm

it is my firm belief that regarding the ban of mike1984 I have been given insufficient reason for the affair and it's conclusion, further than this I feel that the light manner it has been treated in is appalling. It is my sincere hope that he is not regarded in the same way as actually malicious posters who have appeared on beast's lair or otherwise as a joke to be snickered at when spoken of in the future. I will not forget my friend or view him in the manner those in charge here have presented him and his actions, nor will I accept the situation as it stands where people snicker at him as if he were a joke.

Glorious Grammar Master Race Frantic Author's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No, it really isn't. There is a very clear distinction in most cases if there is an everyday snake being talked about, and when there's talk about a serpent.
    See Ancient Greek. "Serpens" and "Drakon" = monstrous serpent or dragon; "Ophios" = mundane serpent or snake.

Harry Potter is shit when it comes to portraying how people understood basilisks in actual legend and myth.
    Even Wikipedia knows better. Google is your friend.
    Wikipedia

[...]is a legendary reptile reputed to be king of serpents and said to have the power to cause death with a single glance.

[...]basilisks can be killed by hearing the crow of a rooster or gazing at itself through a mirror[...]

Stories gradually added to the basilisk's deadly capabilities, such as describing it as a larger beast[...]
    Pls stop pretending you can into mythology
    in the end we will make thoughtcrime impossible, for there shall be no words to express it

#THELEGENDNEVERDIES

[01:05.15] <@Spinach> I can flash gang signs faster than Sasuke can perform ninjutsu and I rap like Medea's High Speed Divine Words.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuradora View Post
    Honest Questions: Do you have a degree in mythology? Is that why Taketsuki pisses you off so much?
    Athena is his mythology waifu.
    Everything I say is a lie.
    LIKE A KING

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade Kwestions View Post
    "It's not gay, it's magecraft!"

Quote Originally Posted by Alulim View Post
    Athena is his mythology waifu.
    Bellona is a better choice, imo.