Page 410 of 680 FirstFirst ... 310360400405408409410411412415420460510 ... LastLast
Results 8,181 to 8,200 of 13588

Thread: Fate/strange fake (Free-Range Spoilers)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I read some stuff on the Eleanor that appears on Richard's memories and I'm trying to check if that info is also true to the historical Eleanor, but so far I can't find any sources. Can anyone more knowledge confirm or deny it for me?
    Eleanor spoilers(?)
    We knew she was huge King Arthur nerd and her son was turned into an equally huge King Arthur nerd because of the stories she told him. However, since she was narrating to a kid, she kept exaggerating everything until her stories were filled to the brim with stupid plot points, like "The world started when King Arthur's Excalibur split heaven and earth. When Vortigern tried to drop the moon on London, King Arthur stopped it by throwing Merlin at it. To protect the lake, Lancelot defeated 5 billion Picts with one strand of straw."
    On a semi-related note,
    Quote Originally Posted by OtherSideofSky View Post
    Alkeides then recalled the power, similar to magical energy, that surged from Saber's body.It was like...the Naiads that abducted my attendant Hylas...
    This bit has lead to speculation that Eleanor was one of Vivian's retainers
    Last edited by Comun; June 26th, 2019 at 03:28 PM.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    T'was a thing that Eleanor's kids adored her, and her instigation was one of the reasons they rebelled against their father. I think Richard was her favourite?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

I read some stuff on the Eleanor that appears on Richard's memories and I'm trying to check if that info is also true to the historical Eleanor, but so far I can't find any sources. Can anyone more knowledge confirm or deny it for me?
    Eleanor spoilers(?)
    We knew she was huge King Arthur nerd and her son was turned into an equally huge King Arthur nerd because of the stories she told him. However, since she was narrating to a kid, she kept exaggerating everything until her stories were filled to the brim with stupid plot points, like "The world started when King Arthur's Excalibur split heaven and earth. When Vortigern tried to drop the moon on London, King Arthur stopped it by throwing Merlin at it. To protect the lake, Lancelot defeated 5 billion Picts with one strand of straw."
    On a semi-related note,This bit has lead to speculation that Eleanor was one of Vivian's retainers
    I think the exagerations are something Narita made up, them being fans of Arthur and his stories goes according to IRL
    Literature (specially tales of chivalry) flourished on Eleanor's court after all, to the point there are legends of her "Court of Love"
    She possibly being connected to the naiads or fairies in general may be Narita trying to reconcile some traditions like in the epic poem "Richard Coer de Lyon" where Eleanor is replaced as Richard's mom for the fairy Cassodorien and there are other legends where Richard claimed he was a descendant of the fairy Melusine (who's legend connects her to the island of Avalon)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    T'was a thing that Eleanor's kids adored her, and her instigation was one of the reasons they rebelled against their father. I think Richard was her favourite?
    Yeah, this is true

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Eleanor spoilers(?)
    On a semi-related note,This bit has lead to speculation that Eleanor was one of Vivian's retainers
    Read the afterward. Nasu came up with that random stuff for her
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, this supports my newest crack theory that LB6 will be the world of Eleanor's crazy King Arthur fanfiction.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "To protect the lake, Lancelot defeated 5 billion Picts with one strand of straw."
    (This is a complete non-sequitur musings, please feel free to ignore.)

Y'know, when I first read this a few days ago something in the back of my mind was bugging me but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it occurred to me this morning, how the Arthurian stories were very much products of their day based on what the orators knew. And so whilst the Picts were prominent during the very early days of Arthurian lore, by the time Lancelot was imported in by French authors the Picts had long been replaced by the Scottish and so Lancelot himself never encounters them in any of his Cycles, instead the land north of England is referred to as "Scotland" instead of Pictavia.

Reminds me of reading Fate/Requiem and thinking how having Kundry and Galahad both as Servants is on the face of it contradictory in nature, unless there were multiple Grail Quests or something. Seems like a lot of strenuous effort to adapt the disparate Arthurian lore into a singular narrative. :/
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Sorry it's been so long since I last posted. Here's another 2,000+ words, bringing us to page 78. One more update should finish this chapter.

FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I, part 4

Even as a pitiable police officer was about to lose his life, the duel between Richard and the golden Archer continued to unfold on the roof of the church.
    The golden Heroic Spirit kept up a relentless series of attacks while still managing to appear unruffled. He nevertheless shot the occasional inquisitive glance at Richard, who continued to dodge his assault, and posed a question to him without dropping his haughty demeanor.
    "Mongrel, I permit you to answer my questions."
    "I'm honored."
    He slackened his attacks, but there was no complacency or conceit in his opponent's eyes.
    Richard could see plainly that taking advantage of the opportunity to charge in would only lead to his taking the brunt of a heavy counterattack. He therefore decided to halt for the moment and listen to what his opponent had to say.
    "You've scraped through a similar predicament before, haven't you? I can tell by the way you dodge."
    "Yes," Richard answered with a shrug, "I went through the same thing yesterday. It was all the other side up, though."
    "...What became of your opponent?"
    "We made friends. Our Masters—well, contractors—seemed to get along too."
    Richard corrected himself in deference to Ayaka denying being his Master, but that did not seem to make much difference to his opponent, who showed no particular reaction to it. Richard failed to notice, however, that the golden Heroic Spirit's eyelids twitched in surprise at the words "we made friends." Even so, he could tell that his mood had changed.
    Until then, he had been "eliminating an insolent pest." Now, however, his animosity had lessened and a different mood was filling the area in its place. It was an atmosphere that Richard had surrounded himself with in life, but that fact was lost on his present self.
    "I see... They may be my friend, but they are as soft on others as ever."
    The golden Heroic Spirit spoke with a wry smile. His words puzzled Richard, who had a bad a feeling about what was coming.
    "What?"
    "My friend." I've heard this somewhere before.
    One day earlier, to be precise. When he had proposed an alliance to the Heroic Spirit he had met in the vast forest.
    "You see, that one best friend of mine is rather hard to please. Whenever I try to make friends or form an alliance with someone, he says, 'I shall test you to see if you are worthy of my friend,' or something like that and chases them off with unreasonable demands."
    Then, Richard noticed that, unlike earlier, all the space around him had begun to distort.
    Oh, this looks like I'm going to die, doesn't it?
    Surrounded on all sides by the Noble-Phantasm-launching distortions, Richard sensed "death" with every inch of his body.
    The golden hero addressed him just as the Lancer Richard had met in the forest had said he would.
    "I shall test you to see if you are worthy of my friend."
    "Hey now, just because someone might take your friend doesn't..."
    Richard began to crack a joke, but cut himself short.
    He was not unperceptive. One look at the golden hero's expression was enough to tell him that his opponent could not be motivated simple covetousness, jealously, or any other vulgar emotion.
    "Please forget I said that. It was immature of me."
    "You did well to stop yourself. You have my compliments. If you had finished that sentence, I would have struck off your head and ended this without even bothering to test you."
    Then, the golden hero addressed Richard not as a king, nor as a warrior, nor as a Heroic Spirit, but as a judge.
    "Circumstances have changed. Mongrel, I acknowledge you not as riffraff, but as a 'seeker' worthy of my trial. If you survive, you will be my friend's ally and my certain 'enemy.'

"Should that time come, I will permit you to leave your blood on my treasures again, this time as a 'person.' Consider yourself honored."

X X

Click, clack, clatter.
    Clusters of little sounds wandered through the man's darkness.

Whispering voices mixed with the sounds of hard objects colliding faintly vibrated John's eardrums.
    The metallic sounds, which refused to stop even while the voices spoke, sounded rough, but to John they seemed to have a musical elegance.
    "Where am I...?"
    He slowly raised himself.
    Strangely, he felt no pain, but all his other sensations were hazy. Only smell tickled his mind—an appetizing scent the included fruit liqueur and toasting butter.
    Then John realized that he was in a restaurant. Warm, orange light filled the air, but it was not electric light; it was the glow of candle flames.
    John could see a single man sitting at the enormous long table illuminated by that glow, surrounded by stunningly beautiful women chatted amiably and occasionally refilled the man's glass.
    "Um...I..."
    When John tried to speak to the people around the table, the man elegantly wiped his mouth with a napkin and then leisurely turned to face him.
    "Hey there. I see you're up."
    "What...? Mr. Du—Caster?!"
    It was Alexandre Dumas, the Caster who had made a contract with the chief of police and who was well known to John and the other members of Clan Calatin. Only his hair stuck up more and he seemed a little larger than when John had met him in his workshop.
    "Um, what am I doing here...? Where's everyone else?"
    At that point, John realized that Dumas was not looking at him.
    "Huh?"
    John tried to touch a candlestick, but his hand passed right through it. And that was not all—a beautiful woman carrying food passed walked right through him like a ghost. At that, John realized that he did not exist in that place.
    His brief training as a mage must have borne fruit, because he recognized that this was no ordinary dream, but something of mystical significance.
    "Relax. This is a restaurant. It's kinda high-class, though, so try not to make a scene. Friend or foe, I suggest you listen to what I've got to say for now."
    At first it seemed like Dumas was speaking to John, but his words were actually directed at someone standing behind and a little to the side of him.
    John was still confused, but he steeled himself and slowly turned to look behind him.
    And there...stood a single wounded man.
    Part of his body was wrapped in bandages, stained here and there by oozing blood. But both the white of the bandages and the dark red of the freshly dried blood were quickly wiped from his impression of the man.

Black.

The blackness of the man's coat seemed to express the color of his soul.
    His skin was pale to the point of being sickly and his hair was far from dark. He must have been caught up in some serious trouble, because while John caught glimpses of fine clothes such as a nobleman might wear under his coat, the coat itself looked scorched all over. Still, John could not help feeling that the blackness of that coat was the man's true nature.
    While John hesitated, the man in the black coat continued to glare warily at Dumas without uttering a word.
    Dumas, perhaps sensing the man's bloodlust, shrugged and waved a hand.
    "Oh, I take that back. I'm not a fan of getting killed, so let me make it clear that I'm not your enemy. If I were, you'd be on a ship to Hell by now. Am I wrong? Actually, considering the 'enemies' you took on, you'd be lucky if a trip to Hell was the worst you got."
    Dumas picked up a nearby pitcher of water and poured it into a glass as he continued.
    "Anyway, have a drink. If you need someone to taste it for poison, I'll do the honors."
    At that, the pitch-black man addressed Dumas without relaxing his guard.
    "Who are you...? Do you...know about me...?"
    "Yeah, you could say that. I'm not directly involved, but I happened to find out about you. About what you've managed to get done and about what you're trying to do now."
    At that, the dark man slowly rose to his feet, warier than ever. Dumas held out the glass of water to him and nodded at the seat across the table, as if testing him.
    "Have a seat. A count shouldn't be standing around like that."
    "..."
    "Oh, or would you rather I call you something else?"
    Then, Dumas uttered a proper name that was both the other man's outer surface and his innermost core.
    "Edmond Dantès. Nice name. It'd look great in print, you know?

"Although 'Le Comte de Monte-Cristo' would make a better title for a novel."

X X

Central Snowfield

"A trial, is it?" Richard asked the man standing on the roof with him as he readied his sword.
    "I see. I thought you were an Archer, but are you perhaps of the Ruler Class?"
    Richard, drawing on the knowledge bestowed on him by the Grail, mentioned an Extra Class.
    The golden Heroic Spirit, however, laughed scornfully.
    "Fool. A Ruler in a Holy Grail War is merely an impartial scale that judges by the world's standards. There is nothing impartial about my judgments. The path I have walked and the wealth I have piled in my treasury are the scales that will judge you."
    Faced with a Heroic Spirit who ostentatiously declared that he was the rules, Richard grinned cheerfully and nodded.
    "A fool, am I? I get that a lot."
    Richard sighed, resting his sword on his shoulder and glancing down at the road.
    "I only came here in the first place because I heard that the guards who defend this city were going to investigate a Heroic Spirit spreading a mysterious plague and thought I might be able to do something to help. I suppose that encounters in the Holy Grail War do naturally lead to fighting."
    "Do not dissemble, mongrel," the golden Heroic Spirit laughed scornfully. "What do you have to lament? You are enjoying this situation more than anyone."
    "..."
    Richard flashed a fearless grin by way of an answer and posed a question of his own to the golden Heroic Spirit.
    "You know...your friend called that plague the 'black curse.' Those guards have assembled to do something about it, am I right? Are you certain you don't want to help him? We could always form an alliance."
    Richard, who insisted on calling the police officers "guards," recalled what his ally Lancer had told him—that "if the curse and mud mix," it would be "a disaster"—while he waited for an answer.
    The golden Heroic Spirit, however, kept his arms folded and his eyes fixed on Richard.
    "That impertinent spell? I will blast it away when it shows itself. Nothing you do will alter that outcome. It is making itself a bit of a nuisance, but executing the source of the curse will put an end to that."
    "I see. It's true that I've only just arrived and don't fully grasp the situation, but it sounds like your 'trial' will take everything I've got."
    Richard cracked his neck and inquired about his current predicament.
    "It's not just my life on the scales; it's my whole past and future all taken together. Isn't that right?"
    "Enough chatter. Are you a fool who needs everything spelled out for him?"
    Richard watched the golden Servant make this unreasonable declaration with a wry grin.
    "I see. I can accept that. So, this is already a battlefield with survival on the line."
    Then, as he spoke his next words, the Lionheart sprang into action.

"The pact is made. I'll take the words we just exchanged for war cries...and launch my invasion."

The instant he stepped forward, the distortions in the air around him began to shine. Then, as if all the stars that blanketed the night sky had fallen, innumerable Noble Phantasms rained down on Snowfield.
    Richard leapt to the roof of the building next door to the church as "judgment" closed in on him from all sides. It was both an infinite series of blows and a never-ending single strike. Death closing in from every direction with no end in sight.
    But Richard was not a beast to simply let himself be hunted. He was, after all, a Heroic Spirit who had manifested in the Saber Class, said to be the "best" of the seven.
    Faced with the trial of the unfathomable golden Heroic Spirit, Richard began to unleash his own power as a hero with the Spirit Origin of a king.
    The rain of Noble Phantasms poured down, some fast and some slow. Richard leapt on the roof as he wove his way between them.
    Onrushing Noble Phantasms.
    Richard kicked one of the weapons and twisted his body, dodging the flurry of blows that followed by a hair's breadth.
    His movements were too rough to be called acrobatics and too elegant to called combat. He charged into the center of the oncoming blows, any one of which would prove fatal if it struck him, and as he had just declared, used his overwhelming speed to launch an invasion of that territory of death.
    Richard readied the sword in his hand while contorting his body and slashed upward into the air with all his might. The radiance that overflowed from the arc of his swing scythed through the onrushing blades and created a new path for him to launch his own attack.
    Even so, one wrong move would still cost him his life.
    He walked that fine line between life and death with superhuman speed and muttered, not to anyone, but to encourage himself.
    "I may not have many qualities that can match yours."
    It was almost like a contract with himself.
    "But...

"When it comes to speed, I'm more than your match."

Narita's even throwing in Carnival Phantasm references now.
    Also, the Edmond in John's vision uses "watashi" for his first-person pronoun, unlike the FGO version.

Many thanks for the translations as always!

The fight between Gil and Richard is awesome.

Here are a few minor corrections:

Richard could see plainly that taking advantage of the opportunity to charge in would only lead to his (him) taking the brunt of a heavy counterattack.

One look at the golden hero's expression was enough to tell him that his opponent could not be motivated (by) simple covetousness, jealously, or any other vulgar emotion.

an appetizing scent the (that) included fruit liqueur and toasting butter

John could see a single man sitting at the enormous long table illuminated by that glow, surrounded by stunningly beautiful women (who) chatted amiably and occasionally refilled the man's glass.

a beautiful woman carrying food passed walked right through him like a ghost

Those guards have assembled to do something about it, am I right? Are you certain you don't want to help him (them?)?

His movements were too rough to be called acrobatics and too elegant to (be) called combat

Fun stuff. Thanks for the translation.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    "Fool. A Ruler in a Holy Grail War is merely an impartial scale that judges by the world's standards. There is nothing impartial about my judgments."
    In certain respects, Gil's self awareness is one of the more attractive aspects of his characters
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    He was not unperceptive. One look at the golden hero's expression was enough to tell him that his opponent could not be motivated simple covetousness, jealously, or any other vulgar emotion.
    tfw you want to give saber the night of her life and people call you a rapist
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by OtherSideofSky View Post
    Sorry it's been so long since I last posted. Here's another 2,000+ words, bringing us to page 78. One more update should finish this chapter.

FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I, part 4

Even as a pitiable police officer was about to lose his life, the duel between Richard and the golden Archer continued to unfold on the roof of the church.
    The golden Heroic Spirit kept up a relentless series of attacks while still managing to appear unruffled. He nevertheless shot the occasional inquisitive glance at Richard, who continued to dodge his assault, and posed a question to him without dropping his haughty demeanor.
    "Mongrel, I permit you to answer my questions."
    "I'm honored."
    He slackened his attacks, but there was no complacency or conceit in his opponent's eyes.
    Richard could see plainly that taking advantage of the opportunity to charge in would only lead to his taking the brunt of a heavy counterattack. He therefore decided to halt for the moment and listen to what his opponent had to say.
    "You've scraped through a similar predicament before, haven't you? I can tell by the way you dodge."
    "Yes," Richard answered with a shrug, "I went through the same thing yesterday. It was all the other side up, though."
    "...What became of your opponent?"
    "We made friends. Our Masters—well, contractors—seemed to get along too."
    Richard corrected himself in deference to Ayaka denying being his Master, but that did not seem to make much difference to his opponent, who showed no particular reaction to it. Richard failed to notice, however, that the golden Heroic Spirit's eyelids twitched in surprise at the words "we made friends." Even so, he could tell that his mood had changed.
    Until then, he had been "eliminating an insolent pest." Now, however, his animosity had lessened and a different mood was filling the area in its place. It was an atmosphere that Richard had surrounded himself with in life, but that fact was lost on his present self.
    "I see... They may be my friend, but they are as soft on others as ever."
    The golden Heroic Spirit spoke with a wry smile. His words puzzled Richard, who had a bad a feeling about what was coming.
    "What?"
    "My friend." I've heard this somewhere before.
    One day earlier, to be precise. When he had proposed an alliance to the Heroic Spirit he had met in the vast forest.
    "You see, that one best friend of mine is rather hard to please. Whenever I try to make friends or form an alliance with someone, he says, 'I shall test you to see if you are worthy of my friend,' or something like that and chases them off with unreasonable demands."
    Then, Richard noticed that, unlike earlier, all the space around him had begun to distort.
    Oh, this looks like I'm going to die, doesn't it?
    Surrounded on all sides by the Noble-Phantasm-launching distortions, Richard sensed "death" with every inch of his body.
    The golden hero addressed him just as the Lancer Richard had met in the forest had said he would.
    "I shall test you to see if you are worthy of my friend."
    "Hey now, just because someone might take your friend doesn't..."
    Richard began to crack a joke, but cut himself short.
    "Please forget I said that. It was immature of me."
    "You did well to stop yourself. You have my compliments. If you had finished that sentence, I would have struck off your head and ended this without even bothering to test you."
    Then, the golden hero addressed Richard not as a king, nor as a warrior, nor as a Heroic Spirit, but as a judge.
    "Circumstances have changed. Mongrel, I acknowledge you not as riffraff, but as a 'seeker' worthy of my trial. If you survive, you will be my friend's ally and my certain 'enemy.'

"Should that time come, I will permit you to leave your blood on my treasures again, this time as a 'person.' Consider yourself honored."

X X

Click, clack, clatter.
    Clusters of little sounds wandered through the man's darkness.

Whispering voices mixed with the sounds of hard objects colliding faintly vibrated John's eardrums.
    The metallic sounds, which refused to stop even while the voices spoke, sounded rough, but to John they seemed to have a musical elegance.
    "Where am I...?"
    He slowly raised himself.
    Strangely, he felt no pain, but all his other sensations were hazy. Only smell tickled his mind—an appetizing scent the included fruit liqueur and toasting butter.
    Then John realized that he was in a restaurant. Warm, orange light filled the air, but it was not electric light; it was the glow of candle flames.
    John could see a single man sitting at the enormous long table illuminated by that glow, surrounded by stunningly beautiful women chatted amiably and occasionally refilled the man's glass.
    "Um...I..."
    When John tried to speak to the people around the table, the man elegantly wiped his mouth with a napkin and then leisurely turned to face him.
    "Hey there. I see you're up."
    "What...? Mr. Du—Caster?!"
    It was Alexandre Dumas, the Caster who had made a contract with the chief of police and who was well known to John and the other members of Clan Calatin. Only his hair stuck up more and he seemed a little larger than when John had met him in his workshop.
    "Um, what am I doing here...? Where's everyone else?"
    At that point, John realized that Dumas was not looking at him.
    "Huh?"
    John tried to touch a candlestick, but his hand passed right through it. And that was not all—a beautiful woman carrying food passed walked right through him like a ghost. At that, John realized that he did not exist in that place.
    His brief training as a mage must have borne fruit, because he recognized that this was no ordinary dream, but something of mystical significance.
    "Relax. This is a restaurant. It's kinda high-class, though, so try not to make a scene. Friend or foe, I suggest you listen to what I've got to say for now."
    At first it seemed like Dumas was speaking to John, but his words were actually directed at someone standing behind and a little to the side of him.
    John was still confused, but he steeled himself and slowly turned to look behind him.
    And there...stood a single wounded man.
    Part of his body was wrapped in bandages, stained here and there by oozing blood. But both the white of the bandages and the dark red of the freshly dried blood were quickly wiped from his impression of the man.

Black.

The blackness of the man's coat seemed to express the color of his soul.
    His skin was pale to the point of being sickly and his hair was far from dark. He must have been caught up in some serious trouble, because while John caught glimpses of fine clothes such as a nobleman might wear under his coat, the coat itself looked scorched all over. Still, John could not help feeling that the blackness of that coat was the man's true nature.
    While John hesitated, the man in the black coat continued to glare warily at Dumas without uttering a word.
    Dumas, perhaps sensing the man's bloodlust, shrugged and waved a hand.
    "Oh, I take that back. I'm not a fan of getting killed, so let me make it clear that I'm not your enemy. If I were, you'd be on a ship to Hell by now. Am I wrong? Actually, considering the 'enemies' you took on, you'd be lucky if a trip to Hell was the worst you got."
    Dumas picked up a nearby pitcher of water and poured it into a glass as he continued.
    "Anyway, have a drink. If you need someone to taste it for poison, I'll do the honors."
    At that, the pitch-black man addressed Dumas without relaxing his guard.
    "Who are you...? Do you...know about me...?"
    "Yeah, you could say that. I'm not directly involved, but I happened to find out about you. About what you've managed to get done and about what you're trying to do now."
    At that, the dark man slowly rose to his feet, warier than ever. Dumas held out the glass of water to him and nodded at the seat across the table, as if testing him.
    "Have a seat. A count shouldn't be standing around like that."
    "..."
    "Oh, or would you rather I call you something else?"
    Then, Dumas uttered a proper name that was both the other man's outer surface and his innermost core.
    "Edmond Dantès. Nice name. It'd look great in print, you know?

"Although 'Le Comte de Monte-Cristo' would make a better title for a novel."

X X

Central Snowfield

"A trial, is it?" Richard asked the man standing on the roof with him as he readied his sword.
    "I see. I thought you were an Archer, but are you perhaps of the Ruler Class?"
    Richard, drawing on the knowledge bestowed on him by the Grail, mentioned an Extra Class.
    The golden Heroic Spirit, however, laughed scornfully.
    "Fool. A Ruler in a Holy Grail War is merely an impartial scale that judges by the world's standards. There is nothing impartial about my judgments. The path I have walked and the wealth I have piled in my treasury are the scales that will judge you."
    Faced with a Heroic Spirit who ostentatiously declared that he was the rules, Richard grinned cheerfully and nodded.
    "A fool, am I? I get that a lot."
    Richard sighed, resting his sword on his shoulder and glancing down at the road.
    "I only came here in the first place because I heard that the guards who defend this city were going to investigate a Heroic Spirit spreading a mysterious plague and thought I might be able to do something to help. I suppose that encounters in the Holy Grail War do naturally lead to fighting."
    "Do not dissemble, mongrel," the golden Heroic Spirit laughed scornfully. "What do you have to lament? You are enjoying this situation more than anyone."
    "..."
    Richard flashed a fearless grin by way of an answer and posed a question of his own to the golden Heroic Spirit.
    "You know...your friend called that plague the 'black curse.' Those guards have assembled to do something about it, am I right? Are you certain you don't want to help him? We could always form an alliance."
    Richard, who insisted on calling the police officers "guards," recalled what his ally Lancer had told him—that "if the curse and mud mix," it would be "a disaster"—while he waited for an answer.
    The golden Heroic Spirit, however, kept his arms folded and his eyes fixed on Richard.
    "That impertinent spell? I will blast it away when it shows itself. Nothing you do will alter that outcome. It is making itself a bit of a nuisance, but executing the source of the curse will put an end to that."
    "I see. It's true that I've only just arrived and don't fully grasp the situation, but it sounds like your 'trial' will take everything I've got."
    Richard cracked his neck and inquired about his current predicament.
    "It's not just my life on the scales; it's my whole past and future all taken together. Isn't that right?"
    "Enough chatter. Are you a fool who needs everything spelled out for him?"
    Richard watched the golden Servant make this unreasonable declaration with a wry grin.
    "I see. I can accept that. So, this is already a battlefield with survival on the line."
    Then, as he spoke his next words, the Lionheart sprang into action.

"The pact is made. I'll take the words we just exchanged for war cries...and launch my invasion."

The instant he stepped forward, the distortions in the air around him began to shine. Then, as if all the stars that blanketed the night sky had fallen, innumerable Noble Phantasms rained down on Snowfield.
    Richard leapt to the roof of the building next door to the church as "judgment" closed in on him from all sides. It was both an infinite series of blows and a never-ending single strike. Death closing in from every direction with no end in sight.
    But Richard was not a beast to simply let himself be hunted. He was, after all, a Heroic Spirit who had manifested in the Saber Class, said to be the "best" of the seven.
    Faced with the trial of the unfathomable golden Heroic Spirit, Richard began to unleash his own power as a hero with the Spirit Origin of a king.
    The rain of Noble Phantasms poured down, some fast and some slow. Richard leapt on the roof as he wove his way between them.
    Onrushing Noble Phantasms.
    Richard kicked one of the weapons and twisted his body, dodging the flurry of blows that followed by a hair's breadth.
    His movements were too rough to be called acrobatics and too elegant to called combat. He charged into the center of the oncoming blows, any one of which would prove fatal if it struck him, and as he had just declared, used his overwhelming speed to launch an invasion of that territory of death.
    Richard readied the sword in his hand while contorting his body and slashed upward into the air with all his might. The radiance that overflowed from the arc of his swing scythed through the onrushing blades and created a new path for him to launch his own attack.
    Even so, one wrong move would still cost him his life.
    He walked that fine line between life and death with superhuman speed and muttered, not to anyone, but to encourage himself.
    "I may not have many qualities that can match yours."
    It was almost like a contract with himself.
    "But...

"When it comes to speed, I'm more than your match."

Narita's even throwing in Carnival Phantasm references now.
    Also, the Edmond in John's vision uses "watashi" for his first-person pronoun, unlike the FGO version.
    This is part 3, no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I miss batshit-crazy Gilgamesh who wanted to drown the world in Grail mud so only the strongest 1% of humanity would survive and thus prove themselves worthy of being ruled by him.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    Same

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    I miss batshit-crazy Gilgamesh who wanted to drown the world in Grail mud so only the strongest 1% of humanity would survive and thus prove themselves worthy of being ruled by him.
    Kind of agree, mostly because of how much I hate that Gil. Likeable Gilgamesh ruins the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Kind of agree, mostly because of how much I hate that Gil. Likeable Gilgamesh ruins the whole thing.
    Me too for the same reason. I can't hate Gilgamesh in SF, he's okay.

Anyway, as for John, Dumas's NP must have activated here.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    batshit crazy or solutions oriented
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

This is that Gilgamesh, the outside circumstances are different.

US Friend Code
    I thought I said this but maybe the forums ate it? Oh well.

Asshole but not batshit Zero Gil is my favorite.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    You said it, but in the Questions Questions Questions thread.