Page 294 of 680 FirstFirst ... 194244284289292293294295296299304344394 ... LastLast
Results 5,861 to 5,880 of 13593

Thread: Fate/strange fake (Free-Range Spoilers)

With the difference that two of those churchies were from the supernatural side of the world. So it was more like dealing with that side unlike the Count's revenge that deals with mundane powers.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    dats cos she had a magic cloak
    So she's real after all? That's a relief.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    that should be a meme
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    basically sakurai took the general story frame and recycled it
    Huh so Sakuai wrote it then, I assumed it was Nasu
    Last edited by Iceblade44; May 26th, 2017 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Damn auto correct
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

MEoDP are awesome, unless they're looking at you. beautyandnotthebeast's Avatar
    What are the differences between the two Roas.
    If the question is Tsukihime vs Fate, what is the answer.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    GO Roa had his blood sucked by Vampire A
    Tsuki Roa had his blood sucked by Dartz's waifu

The resulting vampire's power is proportional to the parent vampire.
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.

GO Roa had his blood sucked by Vampire A
    Tsuki Roa had his blood sucked by Dartz's waifu

The resulting vampire's power is proportional to the parent vampire.
    Or maybe he just went the turning into a vampire by his own research route.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    mhmmm

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Amazigh View Post
    I don't recall Watcher saying he was actually there to help. Just watch and wait for the "Thing" Sigma actually summoned. (They even say they weren't his Summon, just brought along with it for the ride)
    Perhaps what Sigma summons is the qualifying weapon itself. Maybe one of the more iconic historical/mythological lances like Rhon or Longinus.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle NekoArcDragonhound's Avatar
    So i was considering the situation with Haruri & Co. vs Bazdilot & Alcides. If what the story has been implying so far is true about True Berserker and he is Edison, what if it turns out that his NP, World Faith Domination, is activated with only a roar in Berserker-form and since almost of all Alcides' power comes from Mystery, that would completely strip Alcides of all of his power?

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    That would imply someone shitting on Alcides which is ahahahahah not happening
    canon finish apo vol 3

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle NekoArcDragonhound's Avatar
    I'm going relish the next time we come back to the five of them.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle Amazigh's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoArcDragonhound View Post
    So i was considering the situation with Haruri & Co. vs Bazdilot & Alcides. If what the story has been implying so far is true about True Berserker and he is Edison, what if it turns out that his NP, World Faith Domination, is activated with only a roar in Berserker-form and since almost of all Alcides' power comes from Mystery, that would completely strip Alcides of all of his power?
    I honestly would find it hilarious if Edison is cowering from Ishtar. "I CAN'T DISPROVE GODS, DAMNIT!!!" XD That would be hilarious.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
    Perhaps what Sigma summons is the qualifying weapon itself. Maybe one of the more iconic historical/mythological lances like Rhon or Longinus.
    maybe in his transformation he turns out to be one of the pillars that tie the textures together themselves
    damn that's actually a p good idea

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If I understand it right, Edison's NP isn't about disproving gods, it weakens them by demystifying their Mystery.

- - - Updated - - -

maybe in his transformation he turns out to be one of the pillars that tie the textures together themselves
    damn that's actually a p good idea
    So he'd be a Lancer after all?

Be like if Rhon and Enkidu had a baby. Maybe I shall write that fanfic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Here's this week's translation update. As promised, it's the whole interlude with Sigma and Assassin.

It continues to annoy me that I am completely incapable of making the Captain's diction come anywhere close to what it is in Melville. On the bright side, Narita doesn't seem to be attempting to either, so at least I'm not losing accuracy.

FSF4 Interlude

Interlude

The Boy Does Not Believe in God

The wetland mansion.

Go back about half a day.
    "Look, boy; your first trial's already arrived."
    The words of the Captain, who called himself a shadow of a Watcher-Class Heroic Spirit, caused Sigma to spin around. His gaze came to rest on a lone girl.
    She was his enemy — an Assassin Servant summoned by another Master — but the girl sprang into action before Sigma had a chance to realize that. She closed the distance between them in an instant and asked, in a voice stripped of emotion:
    "Are you a mage who seeks the Holy Grail?"
    Sigma returned the stare of the girl Assassin and, for a moment, accepted his own death. The presence of death hung thickly about the girl in front of him. It was almost as if her magical energy itself was adapted for taking human lives.
    Ah, Sigma immediately understood, so, this is a proper Servant.
    Every muscle in Sigma's body screamed at him to run, but the instincts carved into his immature Magic Circuits and brain answered that running would do him no good. If he made even one wrong answer, he would lose his life. He had not been able to figure out anything about his own Servant, "Watcher," after a full day of conversation, but this girl, Sigma coldly thought, was genuinely simple and straightforward.
    If he fought, he would die. A simple answer.
    The instincts and experience he had gained struggling through many battles recognized the strength of the girl in front of him. That being the case, he had no choice but to abandon himself to fate. Sigma simply and easily accepted death.
    Accepting death, however, did not mean that he had given up on life. His probability of dying in this situation was just "higher than when he was walking around normally." Sigma calmly went on trying to think of a way to survive. The fact that, moments earlier, the self-proclaimed shadow who called himself Captain had told him to "keep struggling against God" and "never accept fate" might also have had something to do with it.
    In any case, although the boy accepted that he was on the edge of a cliff, infinitely close to certain death, he never stopped racking his brains for a way out.
    Then, when the girl Assassin was tired of waiting and about to repeat her question, he finally gave his answer.
    "…That's probably half right."
    "Half?"
    "As a mage, I'm half-baked. Some even look down on me as someone who only uses magecraft. As for whether I seek the Holy Grail, I'm of two minds about whether I should."
    Assassin fell silent. It was Sigma's turn to ask a question.
    "Now I'd like you to answer my question. What do you plan to decide based on my answer?"
    "Whether or not you are an enemy."
    "I don't want hostilities. Would it be possible for me to negotiate with your Master?"
    "…I have no Master."
    Murderous magical energy overflowed from the girl Assassin's body. Sigma was just thinking that he seemed to have asked something he should not have, when the Captain cut in.
    "What did I tell you, boy? If you were applying Watcher's power, you wouldn't put your foot in your mouth like that. The girl's Assassin alright, but she was summoned by a bloodsucker. She killed her Master once, but it didn't take. So, she cut her ties. Why not try a lie? 'I'm a hitman who specializes in vampires'?"
    "I'm the one conducting negotiations," Sigma told the Captain, wondering why he was butting in so loudly. "Be quiet."
    His words, however, brought a suspicious look to Assassin's face.
    "Who are you talking to?"
    "?"
    "…A Servant? You spoke of my Master as well. As I thought, you are a participant in the Grail War…!"
    Assassin leapt back several meters in an instant and fixed a piercing animosity on Sigma.
    Sigma was readying himself, seeing that negotiation was impossible, when he heard the voice of the boy with the mechanical wings from behind him.
    "Oh, sorry. It seems like no one told you… The only one who can see us or hear our voices is you, Watcher's Master. We're just shadows popping directly into your brain due to Watcher's influence."
    I wish you'd told me that first, Sigma mentally grumbled. All the while, however, he kept a cool head. He endeavored to observe Assassin's movements, even as his brain processed multiple simultaneous trains of thought — what would Assassin do? Would he have a chance to avoid it? Could he use the nearby table and chairs for cover? Unfortunately, her whole body was swathed in a black robe, and he could not predict her actions based on the movements of her muscles or joints.
    Sigma was in the process of tracing an escape route in his head when Assassin's lips moved.

"…Zabaniya…"

At the same moment, the Captain's voice sounded.
    "Here comes her hair. Look lively, now."
    Just as Sigma grasped the meaning of those words, hair really did extend from the shadows of Assassin's hood, aiming to coil around his windpipe. Sigma avoided it by a hair's breadth, and Assassin's eyes narrowed. Apparently she had not expected him to be able to dodge. As a matter of fact, without the Captain's warning, he would not have been in time and the hair would have closed around his throat.
    Seeing the hair carve away part of the column he had dodged toward, Sigma felt certain that he had just slipped through "certain death." At the same time, another shadow — the boy with the snake staff — called out to him.
    "She has more than ten Noble Phantasms and she's capable of deploying more than one at a time, but she freezes for just a moment when she uses a new one. I think aiming for that opening might be your best chance."
    Does she even need to use Noble Phantasms to kill someone of my level? Sigma wondered as he dodged the countless lunging strands of hair.
    "Not for you," his answer came in the Captain's voice. "She's wary of a Servant attack. Of course, we shadows have no way of launching one."
    Multiple simultaneous deployment, Sigma thought, listening to the Captain's stifled laughter. That means that she invoked a perpetually-active Noble Phantasm like that hair in order to protect herself from being targeted when she fires a single-shot technique... If she has a perpetual offensive Noble Phantasm, what about a defensive one…?
    "She has one. A Noble Phantasm that protects her by turning her skin into a special crystal."
    As soon as he heard the boy with the snake staff's voice from behind him, Sigma stared behind Assassin and shouted:

"Now! Stab her, Chaplin!"

Assassin spun around, raising her guard at what sounded like an order to attack.
    "…Zabaniya…!"
    The word "stab" suggested a physical attack. She invoked her Noble Phantasm, ready to deal with any blade… but there was no one there, and she could sense no disturbance of magical energy.
    When she realized that it was a trap and turned back to face Sigma, she found a black tube with holes punched in it in several places right in front of her eyes. Just as she moved to clear it away with her blades of hair, the cylinder split, and a light more dazzling than the midsummer sun spilled out.

Sigma leapt outside as he hurled the M84 stun grenade at Assassin, noisily smashing through a window in the process. The bang and flash began immediately after, but by that time he had already started to fall. The room that Sigma and Assassin had been in was on the second floor, but Sigma skillfully righted himself in midair and landed lightly as a cat.
    I can't hope to damage a Heroic Spirit's eyes or eardrums with a physical stun grenade, but it should distract her for a moment.
    I've erased my presence. Now I should temporarily hide myself and…
    Sigma got to his feet, hoping that his opponent wasn't equipped with magecraft or abilities for detecting his presence. An unbelievable sight met his eyes.
    He saw a woman, fallen down and pressing her hands over her ears, staring at the room where the flashbang had gone off. Going by her clothes, she was a civilian, but her presence outside the wetland mansion at this hour was unnatural. Could she be Assassin's Master, the "vampire"?
    "Wrong," the Captain's voice sounded from behind him. "She's not Assassin's Master. She's a poor, poor little lady who got dragged into the Grail War."
    "…"
    The "shadows" had not lied to him, at least so far, and they had no reason to. Based on their information from the "Watcher" supposedly observing everything from above, Sigma provisionally identified the girl a few meters ahead of him as a civilian. And the action Sigma took toward that "civilian who had gotten dragged into the war" was…

"Run! You'll get caught up in a battle if you stay here!"

He shouted in an emotionless voice, and that was all.
    "…"
    Regret seized him as soon as the words were out of his mouth.
    What am I doing? That shout just gave Assassin my position.
    If he lived according to the training he had received in his youth, the correct response would have been to immediately eliminate the witness or to use her as a decoy in order to conceal himself.
    …Watcher is already beginning to influence me, then.
    "Hey, don't go around putting the blame on people, bro."
    Sigma could hear a "shadow's" carefree voice from behind him. He ignored it started running toward the girl.
    "A robber is holed up in that house. I'll act as a decoy, so you need to hurry and…"
    Before Sigma could finish speaking, a black figure stood between him and the girl.
    Just as Assassin was about to thrust a knife hand at Sigma, a leather jacket-clad arm appeared from beside her and held her back.
    Assassin glared silently at its owner. The man with red-streaked blond hair who wore the jacket beamed back.
    "That strike didn't look like it was aimed at a vital spot. You don't intend to kill him?"
    "…This mage had no intent to kill me. I cannot yet determine if I ought to kill him. As long as he is a Master in the Holy Grail War, however, it is necessary to at least halt his movements," Assassin replied. The man in the leather jacket looked at Sigma.
    "I don't know about that. He showed no hostility when he saw Ayaka, either. It would be normal to assume that she's Assassin's Master."
    "…"
    Assassin fell silent. The blond man ignored her and posed Sigma a question as he helped the girl he called Ayaka to her feet.
    "I'm a Servant manifested in the Saber Class. Pleasure to meet you."
    After casually revealing his personal information, the man continued with a fearless grin.
    "For now, would you be mind hearing us out? If you desire a fight, well, it is the Holy Grail War, so I'd be willing to accept, but…"
    Sigma eyed the man warily, unsure of his intentions. One of the "shadows," however, laid a hand on Sigma's shoulder.
    "Let it go," the old shadow in an outfit that reminded Sigma of a Japanese temple advised him.
    "…"
    "The man in front of you is probably fast enough to dodge rounds from that 'assault rifle,' or whatever you call it. As you are, you have no hope of victory. But if you wish to struggle through certain death — if you wish to challenge him as a trial — I will not stop you."
    The shadow's way of speaking, as if Sigma would stand a chance eventually, puzzled him. In the end, however, he let out a big sigh and greeted the man who called himself Saber.
    "There are guest rooms. I'll show you the way."

Sigma still did not understand what was going on as he headed for the guest rooms. The Captain walked beside him with a quizzical look on his face.
    "Still, boy, I'm sure you wanted to shout a plausible name for a Heroic Spirit, but why an actor of all people — and one from an era more recent than mine, at that?"
    He must have meant the name Sigma had shouted earlier to fool Assassin. Based on the lack of a reaction from the trio walking behind him, Sigma confirmed that the voices of the "shadows" really were only audible to him. He considered for a moment before answering the Captain in a low voice.
    "…He was just the first great man that came to mind."
    "…I see. So you like classic comedies, do you? I'd never have guessed."
    The Captain stifled a chuckle. Presumably the world had bestowed knowledge of Charlie Chaplin on him through "Watcher." As he vanished, the boy with the snake staff looked at Sigma with affectionate pity.
    "In that case, let's work to ensure you can end this war with a smile."
    Sigma mumbled something at that, then wordlessly picked up his pace.
    He watched comedy films over and over. If pressed, he would have to admit that he liked them. He admired them. Still, if asked whether he had ever laughed with all his heart, Sigma would not have been able to say that he had.
    He could not imagine himself with a heartfelt smile — the kind of smile that Saber had flashed him earlier. That had been a smile that seemed to take pleasure in the whole world. How could a Heroic Spirit, who continued to fight even after death, wear such a smile? Sigma could wonder, but he could not come up with an answer, so he silently stifled his heart. All the while thinking that jealousy and longing for people who could smile were useless to him now.

Did he even have a right to smile in the first place?
    With such doubts in his mind, he was about to set foot into another trial. All the while feeling faintly irritated by the fact that, despite his contract with Watcher, which claimed to see through everything, he could not even see through his own heart.

Again, Sigma thought.
    He did not believe in anything.
    Not gods, not Buddhas, not even demons.
    He though that, maybe, if he devoted himself to one of them, he might be able to smile… only to realize that, as he did not even believe in himself, he had nothing to offer. Try as he might, Sigma could not find anything inside him that was worth offering.

Next week will be the start of chapter 11, "The Gods Return From Twilight," with a return to the battle in Bazdilot's workshop. It's 50 pages, so it will probably take two weeks to finish.
    Last edited by OtherSideofSky; May 28th, 2017 at 09:50 PM. Reason: corrections

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    If you wish to struggle through certain death, however, if you wish to challenge him as a trial, I will not stop you."
    This is a confusing sentence; did part of it get repeated?

Also wow, Watcher really gives out a lot of info. What a weird Class.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    This is a confusing sentence; did part of it get repeated?

Also wow, Watcher really gives out a lot of info. What a weird Class.
    Would, "If you wish to struggle through certain death — if you wish to challenge him as a trial — however, I will not stop you," make more sense?
    Last edited by OtherSideofSky; May 28th, 2017 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo

JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Yes, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I'd put 'However,' at the start of the sentence and leave the rest as it is.
    canon finish apo vol 3

Quote Originally Posted by OtherSideofSky View Post
    Here's this week's translation update. As promised, it's the whole interlude with Sigma and Assassin.

It continues to annoy me that I am completely incapable of making the Captain's diction come anywhere close to what it is in Melville. On the bright side, Narita doesn't seem to be attempting to either, so at least I'm not losing accuracy.

FSF4 Interlude

Interlude

The Boy Does Not Believe in God

The wetland mansion.

Go back about half a day.
    "Look, boy; your first trial's already arrived."
    The words of the Captain, who called himself a shadow of a Watcher-Class Heroic Spirit, caused Sigma to spin around. His gaze came to rest on a lone girl.
    She was his enemy — an Assassin Servant summoned by another Master — but the girl sprang into action before Sigma had a chance to realize that. She closed the distance between them in an instant and asked, in a voice stripped of emotion:
    "Are you a mage who seeks the Holy Grail?"
    Sigma returned the stare of the girl Assassin and, for a moment, accepted his own death. The presence of death hung thickly about the girl in front of him. It was almost as if her magical energy itself was adapted for taking human lives.
    Ah, Sigma immediately understood, so, this is a proper Servant.
    Every muscle in Sigma's body screamed at him to run, but the instincts carved into his immature Magic Circuits and brain answered that running would do him no good. If he made even one wrong answer, he would lose his life. He had not been able to figure out anything about his own Servant, "Watcher," after a full day of conversation, but this girl, Sigma coldly thought, was genuinely simple and straightforward.
    If he fought, he would die. A simple answer.
    The instincts and experience he had gained struggling through many battles recognized the strength of the girl in front of him. That being the case, he had no choice but to abandon himself to fate. Sigma simply and easily accepted death.
    Accepting death, however, did not mean that he had given up on life. His probability of dying in this situation was just "higher than when he was walking around normally." Sigma calmly went on trying to think of a way to survive. The fact that, moments earlier, the self-proclaimed shadow who called himself Captain had told him to "keep struggling against God" and "never accept fate" might also have had something to do with it.
    In any case, although the boy accepted that he was on the edge of a cliff, infinitely close to certain death, he never stopped racking his brains for a way out.
    Then, when the girl Assassin was tired of waiting and about to repeat her question, he finally gave his answer.
    "…That's probably half right."
    "Half?"
    "As a mage, I'm half-cocked. Some even look down on me as someone who only uses magecraft. As for whether I seek the Holy Grail, I'm of two minds about whether I should."
    Assassin fell silent. It was Sigma's turn to ask a question.
    "Now I'd like you to answer my question. What do you plan to decide based on my answer?"
    "Whether or not you are an enemy."
    "I don't want hostilities. Would it be possible for me to negotiate with your Master?"
    "…I have no Master."
    Murderous magical energy overflowed from the girl Assassin's body. Sigma was just thinking that he seemed to have asked something he should not have, when the Captain cut in.
    "What did I tell you, boy? If you were applying Watcher's power, you wouldn't put your foot in your mouth like that. The girl's Assassin alright, but she was summoned by a bloodsucker. She killed her Master once, but it didn't take. So, she cut her ties. Why not try a lie? 'I'm a hitman who specializes in vampires'?"
    "I'm the one conducting negotiations," Sigma told the Captain, wondering why he was butting in so loudly. "Be quiet."
    His words, however, brought a suspicious look to Assassin's face.
    "Who are you talking to?"
    "?"
    "…A Servant? You spoke of my Master as well. As I thought, you are a participant in the Grail War…!"
    Assassin leapt back several meters in an instant and fixed a piercing animosity on Sigma.
    Sigma was readying himself, seeing that negotiation was impossible, when he heard the voice of the boy with the mechanical wings from behind him.
    "Oh, sorry. It seems like no one told you… The only one who can see us or hear our voices is you, Watcher's Master. We're just shadows popping directly into your brain due to Watcher's influence."
    I wish you'd told me that first, Sigma mentally grumbled. All the while, however, he kept a cool head. He endeavored to observe Assassin's movements, even as his brain processed multiple simultaneous trains of thought — what would Assassin do? Would he have a chance to avoid it? Could he use the nearby table and chairs for cover? Unfortunately, her whole body was swathed in a black robe, and he could not predict her actions based on the movements of her muscles or joints.
    Sigma was in the process of tracing an escape route in his head when Assassin's lips moved.

"…Zabaniya…"

At the same moment, the Captain's voice sounded.
    "Here comes her hair. Look lively, now."
    Just as Sigma grasped the meaning of those words, hair really did extend from the shadows of Assassin's hood, aiming to coil around his windpipe. Sigma avoided it by a hair's breadth, and Assassin's eyes narrowed. Apparently she had not expected him to be able to dodge. As a matter of fact, without the Captain's warning, he would not have been in time and the hair would have closed around his throat.
    Seeing the hair carve away part of the column he had dodged toward, Sigma felt certain that he had just slipped through "certain death." At the same time, another shadow — the boy with the snake staff — called out to him.
    "She has more than ten Noble Phantasms and she's capable of deploying more than one at a time, but she freezes for just a moment when she used a new one. I think aiming for that opening might be your best chance."
    Does she even need to use Noble Phantasms to kill someone of my level? Sigma wondered as he dodged the countless lunging strands of hair.
    "Not for you," his answer came in the Captain's voice. "She's wary of a Servant attack. Of course, we shadows have no way of launching one."
    Multiple simultaneous deployment, Sigma thought, listening to the Captain's stifled laughter. That means that she invoked a perpetually-active Noble Phantasm like that hair in order to protect herself from being targeted when she fires a single-shot technique... If she has a perpetual offensive Noble Phantasm, what about a defensive one…?
    "She has one. A Noble Phantasm that protects her by turning her skin into a special crystal."
    As soon as he heard the boy with the snake staff's voice from behind him, Sigma stared behind Assassin and shouted:

"Now! Stab her, Chaplin!"

Assassin spun around, raising her guard at what sounded like an order to attack.
    "…Zabaniya…!"
    The word "stab" suggested a physical attack. She invoked her Noble Phantasm, ready to deal with any blade… but there was no one there, and she could sense no disturbance of magical energy.
    When she realized that it was a trap and turned back to face Sigma, she found a black tube with holes punched in it in several places right in front of her eyes. Just as she moved to clear it away with her blades of hair, the cylinder split, and a light more dazzling than the midsummer sun spilled out.

Sigma leapt outside as he hurled the M84 stun grenade at Assassin, noisily smashing through a window in the process. The bang and flash began immediately after, but by that time he had already started to fall. The room that Sigma and Assassin had been in was on the second floor, but Sigma skillfully righted himself in midair and landed lightly as a cat.
    I can't hope to damage a Heroic Spirit's eyes or eardrums with a physical stun grenade, but it should distract her for a moment.
    I've erased my presence. Now I should temporarily hide myself and…
    Sigma got to his feet, hoping that his opponent wasn't equipped with magecraft or abilities for detecting his presence. An unbelievable sight met his eyes.
    He saw a woman, fallen down and pressing her hands over her ears, staring at the room where the flashbang had gone off. Going by her clothes, she was a civilian, but her presence outside the wetland mansion at this hour was unnatural. Could she be Assassin's Master, the "vampire"?
    "Wrong," the Captain's voice sounded from behind him. "She's not Assassin's Master. She's a poor, poor little lady who got dragged into the Grail War."
    "…"
    The "shadows" had not lied to him, at least so far, and they had no reason to. Based on their information from the "Watcher" supposedly observing everything from above, Sigma provisionally identified the girl a few meters ahead of him as a civilian. And the action Sigma took toward that "civilian who had gotten dragged into the war" was…

"Run! You'll get caught up in a battle if you stay here!"

He shouted in an emotionless voice, and that was all.
    "…"
    Regret seized him as soon as the words were out of his mouth.
    What am I doing? That shout just gave Assassin my position.
    If he lived according to the training he had received in his youth, the correct response would have been to immediately eliminate the witness or to use her as a decoy in order to conceal himself.
    …Watcher is already beginning to influence me, then.
    "Hey, don't go around putting the blame on people, bro."
    Sigma could hear a "shadow's" carefree voice from behind him. He ignored it started running toward the girl.
    "A robber is holed up in that house. I'll act as a decoy, so you need to hurry and…"
    Before Sigma could finish speaking, a black figure stood between him and the girl.
    Just as Assassin was about to thrust a knife hand at Sigma, a leather jacket-clad arm appeared from beside her and held her back.
    Assassin glared silently at its owner. The man with red-streaked blond hair who wore the jacket beamed back.
    "That strike didn't look like it was aimed at a vital spot. You don't intend to kill him?"
    "…This mage had no intent to kill me. I cannot yet determine if I ought to kill him. As long as he is a Master in the Holy Grail War, however, it is necessary to at least halt his movements," Assassin replied. The man in the leather jacket looked at Sigma.
    "I don't know about that. He showed no hostility when he saw Ayaka, either. It would be normal to assume that she's Assassin's Master."
    "…"
    Assassin fell silent. The blond man ignored her and posed Sigma a question as he helped the girl he called Ayaka to her feet.
    "I'm a Servant manifested in the Saber Class. Pleasure to meet you."
    After casually revealing his personal information, the man continued with a fearless grin.
    "For now, would you be mind hearing us out? If you desire a fight, well, it is the Holy Grail War, so I'd be willing to accept, but…"
    Sigma eyed the man warily, unsure of his intentions. One of the "shadows," however, laid a hand on Sigma's shoulder.
    "Let it go," the old shadow in an outfit that reminded Sigma of a Japanese temple advised him.
    "…"
    "The man in front of you is probably fast enough to dodge rounds from that 'assault rifle,' or whatever you call it. As you are, you have no hope of victory. If you wish to struggle through certain death, however, if you wish to challenge him as a trial, I will not stop you."
    The shadow's way of speaking, as if Sigma would stand a chance eventually, puzzled him. In the end, however, he let out a big sigh and greeted the man who called himself Saber.
    "There are guest rooms. I'll show you the way."

Sigma still did not understand what was going on as he headed for the guest rooms. The Captain walked beside him with a quizzical look on his face.
    "Still, boy, I'm sure you wanted to shout a plausible name for a Heroic Spirit, but why an actor of all people — and one from an era more recent than mine, at that?"
    He must have meant the name Sigma had shouted earlier to fool Assassin. Based on the lack of a reaction from the trio walking behind him, Sigma confirmed that the voices of the "shadows" really were only audible to him. He considered for a moment before answering the Captain in a low voice.
    "…He was just the first great man that came to mind."
    "…I see. So you like classic comedies, do you? I'd never have guessed."
    The Captain stifled a chuckle. Presumably the world had bestowed knowledge of Charlie Chaplin on him through "Watcher." As he vanished, the boy with the snake staff looked at Sigma with affectionate pity.
    "In that case, let's work to ensure you can end this war with a smile."
    Sigma mumbled something at that, then wordlessly picked up his pace.
    He watched comedy films over and over. If pressed, he would have to admit that he liked them. He admired them. Still, if asked whether he had ever laughed with all his heart, Sigma would not have been able to say that he had.
    He could not imagine himself with a heartfelt smile — the kind of smile that Saber had flashed him earlier. That had been a smile that seemed to take pleasure in the whole world. How could a Heroic Spirit, who continued to fight even after death, wear such a smile? Sigma could wonder, but he could not come up with an answer, so he silently stifled his heart. All the while thinking that jealousy and longing for people who could smile were useless to him now.

Did he even have a right to smile in the first place?
    With such doubts in his mind, he was about to set foot into another trial. All the while feeling faintly irritated by the fact that, despite his contract with Watcher, which claimed to see through everything, he could not even see through his own heart.

Again, Sigma thought.
    He did not believe in anything.
    Not gods, not Buddhas, not even demons.
    He though that, maybe, if he devoted himself to one of them, he might be able to smile… only to realize that, as he did not even believe in himself, he had nothing to offer. Try as he might, Sigma could not find anything inside him that was worth offering.

Next week will be the start of chapter 11, "The Gods Return From Twilight," with a return to the battle in Bazdilot's workshop. It's 50 pages, so it will probably take two weeks to finish.
    This chapter solidifies it for me. Sigma is an alright guy. Snowflake is still ugh, though.

The next chapter sounds like it'll be all kinds of chaos, too.