View Poll Results: Should the poll subforum return

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    29 61.70%
  • No

    18 38.30%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 91

Thread: Should the poll subforum return

  1. #21
    地獄待ち Spinach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Age
    24
    Posts
    14,766
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    So to boil this down, "that's how it always was, and that's how it always should be."
    That's not my argument at all. If I held that kind of mindset, I'd have been against new banners. What I'm saying is that the poll forum had a use, and just because people were shitposting in it during periods of inactivity doesn't warrant deleting the entire thing. It warrants better moderation.

    If a board's activity rate is what determines whether it's worth keeping or not then the two Doujin Projects subforums need to be deleted too. Events & Gatherings can go as well.

    A forum I would compare to the poll subforum is the Anime/Manga/Merchandise/Doujin subforum in the TM section. Whenever new content is coming in things get posted, but otherwise activity in that subforum is relatively low (during the F/Z anime these subforums were booming, same with CP). Thing is, Anime/Manga/Merchandise/Doujin has less idiocy potential than the poll subforum, so it didn't have the problem polls did where during periods of inactivity it's just a shitfest.

    Now that there is another poll subforum in the 7th the

    A forum that is only "active" 25% of the time and just sitting there or filled with silly crap the other 75% of the time isn't something that's getting good traffic.
    point is pretty much moot.

    That's their choice. Let's put it this way: If they mostly lurk fanfics, and you claim they wouldn't go to GD, why would they go to Polls?

    People who lurk tend to look at the forums and the topics, just not post in them.
    For some reason people who lurked AND posted in fanfics, but didn't go to GD, came to polls and cast their vote. Not everyone who voted posted, but hey, that's the point of polls. You get your opinion out there without having to say anything. Most polls were about your favorite [x], which was something that people in the fanfic forum and GD had an opinion of and wanted to weigh in on. Aside from some select users, a good portion of the fanfic forum users don't go to GD.

    This cures that part, but it doesn't get around the fact that most of the time the Polls forum sits there and sucks on dust till the next thing that makes it wake up for a blip before going back to sleep
    Not much different from the TM Anime/Games/Merchandise/Doujin forum in that regard. Though admittedly Anime/Games/Merchandise/Doujin's activity booms are usually longer lasting.

    To be honest, it's why I'd thought about removing even the Forum Votes forum as well - hardly ever used.
    Best toss those Doujin Projects/Events & Gatherings then too, eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by SeiKeo View Post
    Look, you can't just call something pedophilliac and expect everyone to believe you.


  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Floating and dreaming
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    2,621
    Blog Entries
    38
    I think getting rid of the poll forum is just yet another bad decision around here.

  3. #23
    Lethum Milbunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere in Illinois
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,362
    Blog Entries
    13
    Hmm I can see why they did it though, perhaps a warning would have been nice or something to that degree, but as of late it was being used for a lot of spam and similar polls, I'd say that just using GD or the Fanfics areas are good ways to increase traffic there. (I've noticed getting new threads in GD has been rather scarce lately.)

    So in short Maybe a warning would be nice or perhaps even a vote of some sort but I don't think it's that big a deal.

  4. #24
    は愚かである BlackField's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,966
    Blog Entries
    8
    The polls subforum had some advantages and disadvantages. It was nice to be able to bring some thread back from the dead without being heckled because no one goes there and you're just explaining your vote for something. At the same time, it was like the least TMy of the subforums that was in the TM section. If it was reactivated it would be ghost city and most of the topics work well in GD.

    The only problem I have is the way it was done. Admins seem to want to be like businessmen making the hard choices rather than be leaders of a small community of nerds.
    My opinion on how canon works
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Fantastic
    The point is that descriptive writing is very rarely entirely accurate and during the reign of Olaf Quimby II as Patrician of Ankh some legislation was passed in a determined attempt to put a stop to this sort of thing and introduce some honesty into reporting. Thus, if a legend said of a notable hero that “all men spoke of his prowess” any bard who valued his life would add hastily “except for a couple of people in his home village who thought he was a liar, and quite a lot of other people who had never really heard of him.” Poetic simile was strictly limited to statements like “his mighty steed was as fleet as the wind on a fairly calm day, say about Force Three,” ...

  5. #25
    俺様 Cruor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    10,950
    JP Friend Code
    508219450
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbunk View Post
    Hmm I can see why they did it though, perhaps a warning would have been nice or something to that degree, but as of late it was being used for a lot of spam and similar polls, I'd say that just using GD or the Fanfics areas are good ways to increase traffic there. (I've noticed getting new threads in GD has been rather scarce lately.)

    So in short Maybe a warning would be nice or perhaps even a vote of some sort but I don't think it's that big a deal.
    New threads have been getting scarce because its being generally looked down upon if you give a question its own thread in the current board meta. It used to be the little questions getting answered in Questions with any discussion that can actually have a nice discussion being given its own thread. Even before Badass, things like protagonist fights (SHIKI VS SHIROU, SHIKI VS RYOUGI etc) were given their own threads which allowed people to discuss it to death without getting sidetracked by a new versus (which is something some people have been abusing to get out of arguments/questions/versus they don't want to participate in.

    Honestly, its currently just a phase that new threads aren't made.

    Polls were kicked to Events and Gatherings because they used to plague old GD with tons of FAVORITE XXXXX and other polls before it became the popular thing to post them there until the mods began enforcing it by closing polls put in GD.
    Last edited by Cruor; May 19th, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

    GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

  6. #26
    Harder Better Edgier Optimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,190
    Blog Entries
    6
    No it shouldn't.
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

  7. #27
    Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,568
    Blog Entries
    25
    DP really should not be the spokesperson for the admins. 2rude.

  8. #28
    闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    3,071
    Blog Entries
    2
    But its like... rude-dere? Rudere? Its adorable =D

    Levy is not impressed.

    Eco Rider!

  9. #29
    Κύρια Ἐλέησον Seika's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Perilous Hall
    Age
    24
    Posts
    12,656
    Blog Entries
    44
    I'm unmoved about the forum itself. I like (as do most people, I think) the properly-defined serious/7th split, and I can handle GD becoming the place for the serious side.

    But that the action was taken with no warning, no consultation, no attempt at something more less drastic worries me. It's been an occasional phenomenon that the mods or admins do something like this in haste when there was absolutely no reason for not asking everyone. And then it turns out that the users really disagree or (about as bad), we agree but think the implementation was really cack-handed. I do not see that just slowing yourselves down and working with the people on your forum costs you anything, and it disappoints me that the phenomenon does keep cropping up. Yes, you have the power to do these things. Yes, it could be - either in all aspects or at least one - a good idea which people will agree with. But don't get carried away with that and always assume it's the right thing or that you should plough ahead because you can plough ahead.
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

    If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

    Democracy on Beast's Lair

  10. #30
    This may hurt a little Neir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    31
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    16,587
    Blog Entries
    42
    mike where are you we need you
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    says the hater, you keep on hating, i'll be around ignoring your invalid, incorrect opinion.
    [18:00] Spinach: Because I don't like Saber's personality but boy oh boy does she make my dick turn to diamonds when I see her getting tentacled.
    [18:01] Leo: feeling superior to EU makes me hard
    [16:16] <Bloble> Drakengard? Is that a rhythm game?

  11. #31
    N̠͔͓̰͒ͯͥ̉ͦ̂y̖͒á͓͔͙̮̹ͬ.͇̪ͤͨ̾̒.͎͙͇̟̅͒̑̇͋́.̾̽̓͗̄ Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,337
    Blog Entries
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    That's not my argument at all. If I held that kind of mindset, I'd have been against new banners. What I'm saying is that the poll forum had a use, and just because people were shitposting in it during periods of inactivity doesn't warrant deleting the entire thing. It warrants better moderation.

    If a board's activity rate is what determines whether it's worth keeping or not then the two Doujin Projects subforums need to be deleted too. Events & Gatherings can go as well.

    A forum I would compare to the poll subforum is the Anime/Manga/Merchandise/Doujin subforum in the TM section. Whenever new content is coming in things get posted, but otherwise activity in that subforum is relatively low (during the F/Z anime these subforums were booming, same with CP). Thing is, Anime/Manga/Merchandise/Doujin has less idiocy potential than the poll subforum, so it didn't have the problem polls did where during periods of inactivity it's just a shitfest.
    They problably could go, you're right. The thing is, as you also pointed out, they also have less potential for idiocy.
    The problem here wasn't that they sat and got no new posts. If that's all it was, it would've kept sucking dust as it had been. The problem here was twofold:

    1. That the new polls were stupid, irrelevant, and far outweighed the legitimate content of the forum.
    2. That lately, trying to enforce rules has met literal, actual resistance.

    You can argue better moderation, but "better moderation" lately has just been getting backlash from people. We tell food to knock off the shitposting; he kept right on doing it and got permed. People tried to fake a banwave, and even when I banned their ability to use the word "Banned" as a custom title they began to find ways around it, forcing me to add in a change that a user could not duplicate before people finally stopped. Koto kept resetting her profile when I kept editing it to remove her "Banned" usertitle (she and Kyte kept finding ways to put it back in), so I locked her out from editing it, and then we get a massive blog entry from her, and to this day she still hasn't admitted she was being an idiot - instead, it's us, the staff, who have to look like idiots, while she gets to go off scot-free. It's like we can't just tell people "knock it off," instead we just get told "It's your problem, I'll stop when you find a way to stop it" and get given the finger.

    Lately, it's like people are trying to resist us trying to be "more vigilant." Let's put it this way. If we began locking those shitpolls, are you honestly going to try to convince me that within two days, there wouldn't have been six or more new polls up asking "Are the mods oppressing us?"

    I don't doubt it for a second.

    That, along with the fact that there was really (in our view) no reason to keep a completely arbitrarily, segregated polls forum, meant that we felt it was better to just let them be posted in the most natural places (i.e; GD or whatever) and to add a silly polls forum to the 7th. To be dead honest, while people will complain now because it's fresh, you can't deny that we had to do something about the situation. Do you really think people will be complaining about it in three to six months?

    We did what we thought was best; let's see how it works before we begin calling it a failure, shall we?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Now that there is another poll subforum in the 7th the (activity) point is pretty much moot.
    Wasn't just activity. See above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    For some reason people who lurked AND posted in fanfics, but didn't go to GD, came to polls and cast their vote. Not everyone who voted posted, but hey, that's the point of polls. You get your opinion out there without having to say anything. Most polls were about your favorite [x], which was something that people in the fanfic forum and GD had an opinion of and wanted to weigh in on. Aside from some select users, a good portion of the fanfic forum users don't go to GD.
    That's their problem then - fanfics forums are supposed to be for fanfics, so if you want discussions/polls on characters and the like, then you go to GD. Why have them in polls which barely had more than a dozen or so people visiting it at any given time when GD generally 20+ on it at any given time at virtually all hours of the day? GD gets more traffic than Polls ever has, by far - the only times I ever really remember seeing Polls consistently break 15+ people are when we were doing stuff on banners. The polls will wind up more visible in GD and eventually people will be around who will be used to these things being in GD, which will mean more people will simply get in the habit of going to GD, which is overall better for everyone.

    If you're trying to convince me, you're doing a pretty poor job of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Not much different from the TM Anime/Games/Merchandise/Doujin forum in that regard. Though admittedly Anime/Games/Merchandise/Doujin's activity booms are usually longer lasting.
    And again, lack of use isn't the sole criteria. Or else nuking Announcements/Forum Votes would've been more than a thought that I discarded eventually.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Best toss those Doujin Projects/Events & Gatherings then too, eh?
    See above.
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."


    Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!


    Old Quote Crap!

    Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

    [14:06] <Cruor> petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] <Kelnish> no
    [14:08] <Kelnish> it isn't
    [14:09] <Cruor> how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] <Cruor> in one mod
    [14:10] <Dark_Pulse> Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] <Dark_Pulse> Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] <Daiki> ...
    [14:10] <I3uster> oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] <I3uster> apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] <Wakame> the horror

  12. #32
    分かろうとするな、感じれ Mcjon01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52,448
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    No, sorry. Give me a better reason to keep the Poll Forum. A forum that is only "active" 25% of the time and just sitting there or filled with silly crap the other 75% of the time isn't something that's getting good traffic. Ditto for "Announcements," which has had a whopping 15 topics in 2+ years (and no surprise, three of them are Mike related). Forum Votes has even less - a mere seven, five of them related to the banner stuff.

    ...

    To be honest, it's why I'd thought about removing even the Forum Votes forum as well - hardly ever used.
    I seriously thought that only forum staff were supposed to make topics in these subforums.

  13. #33
    Wait what, we were supposed to be using that?
    Araya, what do you seek?
    「アラヤ、何を求める」
    ------True wisdom.
    「――――真の叡智を」
    Araya, where do you seek it?
    「アラヤ、何処に求める」
    Only within myself.
    「――――ただ、己が内にのみ」
    Araya, what is your favorite color?
    「アラヤ、好きな色は?」
    Blue. No, ora-- Auuuuuuuugh!
    「青、いや、オレンジイイイイイアアアっ!」

  14. #34
    In Memoriam Kelnish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    6,771
    JP Friend Code
    Pingu
    Blog Entries
    10
    Making threads in forum votes about avatar changes is going to be the Next Big Thing!

  15. #35
    Sünde Sünde Schande Schande I3uster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    35,215
    Blog Entries
    12
    "People piss me off with retarded shit and so I deleted their forum?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Strife ❤️ View Post
    Capitalism has failed me

  16. #36
    lesbian witch from hell kay4today's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Austria
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    4,249
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    "People piss me off with retarded shit and so I deleted their forum?"
    You say that like it's a bad thing!

  17. #37
    秩序 Order Erlkonig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,562
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    "People piss me off with retarded shit and so I deleted their forum!?"
    Fixed, now we just need to get a publisher, artist, and editor.
    Arthur-san is my waifu
    [20:57] frantic: I can't even remember what opinions I actually hold about the thing compared to shit I made up to piss people off
    [17:13] Airen: Its not an airen character unless gay

  18. #38
    Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,568
    Blog Entries
    25
    We did what we thought was best; let's see how it works before we begin calling it a failure, shall we?
    But... you messed up at doing the thing you were trying to do. It was a literal failure.

  19. #39
    Fight da power

  20. #40
    Space Conquistador
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Age
    27
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,585
    Blog Entries
    11
    Don't often agree with Koto on stuff like this, but she's right. This entire move has been a disaster on just about every front.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •