Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Zealand became the first country to pass the anti-downloading law

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Meh, the government can be tricked. Plus, I'm sure plenty of people will be looking for ways around it. And, it's not like the ISPs have any reason to do any more than the government forces them to do.

Someone will find a loophole soon enough.
    Probably. The Chinese can't keep anyone off who really wants to be online, and I doubt NZ is going to be as serious about this as the Chinese are.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    They do matter if you use them before you get disconnected....
    Not really. Proxies let you circumvent blocks, but all the data ultimately still goes through your ISP at some point. If they are legally allowed to, it's just a matter of looking at the data as it passes through. Certainly, that's more difficult, but I'm sure the government would give them the means for it, unless the law was just an empty bluff designed to scare people out of pirating.

@Leopard: What are you talking about? The dilemma of China isn't banning people from the internet, it's preventing them from seeing certain content, while still being able to use the internet in full. That's why it's difficult.

With this NZ piece of legislation, they've simply just gone and told the ISP's, "Shut off their net if they pirate." With total disregard towards how this could affect business, etc. People can probably still go on library computers or public wifi to get their internet, but those kinds of places are generally designed to make pirating difficult.

To trick the system, you're going to have to get the internet from a black market source. Either someone running their own wires, or someone in the bureaucracy cutting a deal for extra $$$ in his pocket, to get him to look the other way. But if the ISP's are smart, they probably rotate the people below a certain position, so you'd have to go at least that high up, for a steady person to bribe. And he'd probably ask for even more, cause he'd have to pay all the people under him a bit off the top, to make sure they don't go over his head.

Blog Entries
    @ Jase: Oh, I see what you mean. I didn't really know enough about how the law worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    That time they checked out that hot guy they were just admiring his watch, yeah?

Well, it's just speculation.

There's often a world of difference between what a law allows, and how much of it the government will actually use, in enforcement.

But honestly, this is like Patriot Act stuff, but a bit more specific.

04satsujinki40
    i hope it doesnt get to other countries....

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Not really. Proxies let you circumvent blocks, but all the data ultimately still goes through your ISP at some point. If they are legally allowed to, it's just a matter of looking at the data as it passes through. Certainly, that's more difficult, but I'm sure the government would give them the means for it, unless the law was just an empty bluff designed to scare people out of pirating.
    No, that's simply not true. For one thing, data can be encrypted. And, even if it's not, it's very hard to work out what exactly the data being transmitted is. It can be done, of course, but ISPs have little practical interest in doing so, because it's too much effort and they gain nothing from it.

With this NZ piece of legislation, they've simply just gone and told the ISP's, "Shut off their net if they pirate." With total disregard towards how this could affect business, etc. People can probably still go on library computers or public wifi to get their internet, but those kinds of places are generally designed to make pirating difficult.
    Well, yes, in theory, but they have to catch you first.

Hm, this man is transferring 200GB up down per month.

We know that isn't netflix.

We know that isn't steam.

The guy isn't running a server out of his house.

Oh gee, what could it be?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, they could do that if they wanted to, but why would they bother? It's too much hassle, and even if the government allows it they're not going to mandate it.

Uh, they did mandate it. I mean, they allowed for a 2 year reprieve, and if the less extreme measures work to stop piracy, they won't do it.

But you know piracy won't stop.

Blog Entries
    I think the companies will start looking for loopholes themselves. I mean, they are not going to let go of their money so easily...
    [22:42] <Leo> look it's not our fault we can function properly with a cock in our mouthes

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jase View Post
    Uh, they did mandate it. I mean, they allowed for a 2 year reprieve, and if the less extreme measures work to stop piracy, they won't do it.
    No, they've mandated cutting people off if the music companies "catch" them pirating. They've not mandated anything that says that ISPs are required to make any efforts to detect piracy, which is what your suggestion would require.

But you know piracy won't stop.
    Well, of course not....