Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Castlevania: WHAT IS A MAN?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I once said that the only good thing about Netflix Castlevania was that it confirmed for me that the only reason that Dracula loses is because he holds back on purpose (how else can some emo thin-blood and some sadist with a whip defeat a clearly superior creature). However, I also once believed that that only applies for when he is fighting against Alucard (said emo thin-blood). This shows that that also applies for certain other opponents:

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What does "thin-blood" even mean as an insult here?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    ... Look, I've been playing a lot of Vampire the Masquerade, and that language has seeped in here (you might have noticed me calling Jesus a pansy carpenter after playing Maggot Baits), especially when one of the VtM thin-bloods has fantasies about being Vampire Hunter D or something.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    ... Look, I've been playing a lot of Vampire the Masquerade, and that language has seeped in here (you might have noticed me calling Jesus a pansy carpenter after playing Maggot Baits), especially when one of the VtM thin-bloods has fantasies about being Vampire Hunter D or something.
    Oh I actually did look up that term in reference to VtM before making my post, but from what I understand it refer to vampires distantly descended from the "originals". Alucard is Dracula's direct son so it doesn't make sense to call him that IMO even taking into account differing terminologies between franchises. Maybe you know more about what the term means than me though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That is technically true, but the end result is still the same. A weaker, more human-like vampire. Less strengths, but also less weaknesses. And yes, I do mean less strengths, as I mentioned, the Netflix series showed that the only feasible way that Alucard could possibly defeat Dracula is because Dracula literally gave up. Dracula's butler (Death) should do well to spank his master's son that his master clearly does not have the stomach to do, which he does in Judgment, as I mentioned before.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And in terms of Castlevania-related things that do put me in better spirits:
    https://www.redbubble.com/i/t-shirt/...44218625.FB110

Just dropping this off. Don't mind me.
    Yet the burden shall be shared by two entwined, from which the sword will part from the body and be bestowed upon the vassal to sacrifice themselves and cleave through space and time.

Mark upon this unworthy flesh the emblem of the sacrifice, the vassal whose death shall bring forth victory through the fields of steel and blood!

The oath is laid here. We are the ones who represent all the good within the pure lands, and we are the ones who judge what is evil within the pure lands. Thou, Seven Heavens clad in three mere words of unequal power, shall emerge from the spiral of control, O keeper of the balance—!

Horseman War of Apocalypse Wandering Swordwoman's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    -
    Blog Entries
    Uwooooooo
    Spoiler:

Wandering on internet

JP Friend Code
    At least its not Alucard angsting alone in his castle anymore.

I think its Striga in the armor, but there's rumor going around that Isaac might become Death via the Infinite Corridor or something. Given that he's absolutely loyal to Dracula and was his second-in-command, it'd fit.
    Yet the burden shall be shared by two entwined, from which the sword will part from the body and be bestowed upon the vassal to sacrifice themselves and cleave through space and time.

Mark upon this unworthy flesh the emblem of the sacrifice, the vassal whose death shall bring forth victory through the fields of steel and blood!

The oath is laid here. We are the ones who represent all the good within the pure lands, and we are the ones who judge what is evil within the pure lands. Thou, Seven Heavens clad in three mere words of unequal power, shall emerge from the spiral of control, O keeper of the balance—!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So basically more character mashing, like in the reboot game universe, just different characters getting mashed together?

You know, this week I've been indulging in a lot of Castlevania stuff to where I'm trying to build a Maria Renard D&D character sheet, but then I ran across Grimoire of Souls. And I got mad.

Because this feels like something that shouldn't have died when it did. It took the premise of having the characters from the different eras interacting with one another and fleshed them out to an extent that I really appreciated. I mean, Simon looks like a meathead from my point of view, but then I ran across a discussion between Simon and Richter on the resurrection of Dracula due to him.

This insightful discussion felt oddly right, even giving Richter some indication that losing the Vampire Killer wasn't a punishment for his actions but so that it could realize what was thought to be one of his own deepest desires in that it allowed for the Belmonts to not have to be the only ones to bear the burden. Every time Dracula came back, they had to be stronger in order to face him. But the Belmonts alone cannot shoulder such a weight less they eventually break under it, so by passing the whip on it allowed other families to rise up. His discussion with Shanoa about her brother's sacrifice and how he wouldn't want her to mourn, his apology to Johnathan that the weight of the Vampire Killer fell onto his shoulders and cost him his father's life, etc.

This kind of interaction was everything I didn't know I wanted and I want more, but the game died before I even knew it existed. It feels like such a waste that it makes my stomach churn when I consider how it could bring together the past and future. It didn't even come out in the U.S. Canada was the only place from the look of it, and it didn't last a year.

And its out. 6 episodes in and all the characters are amazing. Isaac, Hector, all of them. Even the Vampire Sisters.

Edit: And its done. Overall, I liked the story and while I do think that the final boss was different than I expected, I am satisfied. After years of tragedy, people can rebuild and move on towards a happy ending.
    Last edited by Twi; May 13th, 2021 at 09:49 AM.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Oh I actually did look up that term in reference to VtM before making my post, but from what I understand it refer to vampires distantly descended from the "originals". Alucard is Dracula's direct son so it doesn't make sense to call him that IMO even taking into account differing terminologies between franchises. Maybe you know more about what the term means than me though.
    Technically, Alucard is a Dhampir (child of a vampire and a human) which is rare to the point of impossibility in the WoD setting. He is very much not a thinblood, however.
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In terms of conception, no, but in terms of strengths and weaknesses, yes. Basically, different path, but same destination. Also, given the more positive portrayal of the castle itself, I'm surprised that the Master Librarian didn't make even a cameo.
    Last edited by LegalLoliLover; May 21st, 2021 at 04:14 PM.

Sequel news: https://www.ign.com/articles/netflix...stlevania-show

Richter and Maria time.