Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cultists' Ball [If Fate / Zero had no magic...]

Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    I remember tha. Velsper where are you¿?
    Hm...Crazy RP'er War does sound fun. Do you have a link to that story, by any chance?

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors lethum's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It was in Velsper's thread.

#32 seems incorrect to what my knowledge says of the real world. There are essentially three different real world notions of an Aryan people.

First we'll mention Hitler's. He essentially stole the idea from the linguists, and painted it to match his world view. The linguists were positing a single root language, perhaps only for the Indo-European language group, and used Aryan to describe the hypothetical people who spoke it back in the day.

Lastly is the actual at least semi-historical people who can be termed Aryan. Older form of an ancestral Indo-European language, cattle fixation to the point that their word for war also translates as the desire for cattle, maybe also very arrogant but the last has weaker evidence. I think also central Asian horse nomads.

Split into two groups, one which went into north India, set up Hindu, and probably became much or all of the upper castes, and the other now mostly lives east of Iraq, if they are still extant. See, the Romans called them Persians, after Fars province, but they are also known as Aryans. Iranians. (That said, if the Iranian branch did what the Indian branch may have done, and set themselves up was a ruling upper caste over an originally alien people, that branch may not count as extant. See, Tamerlane wiped out the entire Iranian nobility.)

So, anyway, there is reason to think that we know what the Aryans looked like, and that they might not have been heavily in Mesopotamia at the time of Sumer. You may be shocked to hear this about a work based on Frank Miller, but 300 took liberties with the appearance of the Persian king. The pictures I've seen of them have long dressed hair and beards.

As an aside, I've heard the Spartans wore their long hair in six braids, and were clean shaven. 300 took a bunch of other liberties describing the Spartans, but some are fairly defensible marketing decisions for non-classicist moderns.

Self Proclaimed Master Of Randomness RandomlyAwesome's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalgo Jenkins View Post
    Hm...Crazy RP'er War does sound fun. Do you have a link to that story, by any chance?
    Here you go:
    Zeroth Grader Disease
    Warning: The levels of randomness/awesomeness shown may not accurately match the ones promised

Quote Originally Posted by RandomlyAwesome View Post
    Thanks. This was great.