Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cultists' Ball [If Fate / Zero had no magic...]

Cultists' Ball [If Fate / Zero had no magic...]

Author's Notes: Just a quick drabble that emerged from the Fanfic Ideas Thread.

This is very, VERY AU -- a world where magecraft, the Root, Servants, and all the rest of the Nasuverse stuff doesn't exist.

The real world, if you will.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Cultists' Ball

The “moderator” had already started talking by the time Kiritsugu Emiya arrived. It was more of the same: batshit Moon-worship that Kiritsugu still couldn’t make head or tail of. The moderator looked like a young stockbroker: black suit, slicked-back hair, and fancy watch. Probably had special business cards.

Kiritsugu walked down the aisle. The pews gave off a dull sheen that reminded him of black beetles. The room was small. It felt like body heat, and smelled like sweat. The floorboards were old, and inscribed with pentagrams, hexagrams, and some sort of hieroglyphs.

He noticed one glyph in particular: a five-pronged blob that looked like a fork with eyes. It matched the admission ticket they’d given him. The one with gilt lettering: KIRITSUGU EMIYA – YOU STAND AMONG THE CHOSEN.

Kiritsugu sat down.

His wife sat beside him. The shadows only accented Irisviel’s sharp European features and white-blond hair. She was pale. Even in this light, you noticed it. An albino. She was the most beautiful woman Kiritsugu had ever seen.

Iri smiled at him. It was a soft smile. The same smile she always wore. For the thousandth time, Kiritsugu imagined Irisviel gracing him with that smile when she cut her own throat.

And she would. Irisviel had told her husband that she’d do it. That she was “born to die.” Many, many times. Iri had babbled for hours about how she was supposedly some sort of homunculus. Or a vessel for eternity. Or something. More batshit Moon-worship that she’d been spoon-fed.

He’d kill them. He’d kill every last one of them.

Because he was a Hero of Justice.

And because they had his daughter.

The Einzberns would die. The Tohsakas, the Matous, and all of their lunatic supporters would die. As for their backers…? Well, whoever ran this so-called “Clock Tower” would die as well.

Kiritsugu felt a twinge in his chest. He gasped. Tried to cover it up. He couldn’t stop a bitter smile from crossing his lips. Yeah. A hitman with a heart condition. Life’s little jokes.

He sucked on another cigarette. The smoke filled his lungs. Soothed.

Kiritsugu looked at the other “Masters”. He still wasn’t sure why they called them that. Something about each competitor absorbing the spirit of an ancient hero during the War. Like possession, he supposed. Acht had claimed that it would make them better sacrifices.

That’s all that six of them would ever amount to: sacrifices.

The seventh? Oh, he’d be the “winner”. The aliens – or goddesses, or whatever the fuck they were – would supposedly come out of Irisviel’s body like a bunch of genies and give the winner his “heart’s desire”. Acht’s eyes had glazed over when he’d explained the whole thing to Kiritsugu a few years back. Little flecks of spittle had dribbled down the old man's mouth.

But Irisviel would have to die first. She’d lie on altar and slice through her own neck like an animal.

If
    Kiritsugu let her. And he wouldn’t.

But—yes. The other “Masters”. He recognized Tohsaka. The man was a schmoozer. His family had lived in Fuyuki for generations; half the town’s important people owed him favors. Kiritsugu shrugged to himself. He’d killed that sort before. Dime a dozen.

Tohsaka’s “apprentice”, on the other hand…

Kiritsugu frowned as he remembered his notes. Kirei Kotomine: age thirty-four. His jacket’s standing collar reminded Kiritsugu of a gakuran. It was black, and matched the man’s rather empty-looking eyes.

Priest’s son, apparently. Abandoned a potential career in the priesthood as a young man to join the military. Served in the 1st Airborne Brigade. Served in the Special Forces Group. He’d ultimately drifted away from military life as well, and into a succession of “new religious movements”. Tohsaka was his most recent guru.

Dr. Archibald sat across the aisle. Kayneth Archibald wasn’t much older than Kirei, but Kiritsugu hadn’t been able locate a single photograph where the man wasn’t wearing tweed. He’d purchased an entire mansion on the outskirts of Fuyuki. A fortress. For the scion of an Old Money family, Kayneth had displayed a surprising talent for slipping landmines through customs.

The two newcomers worried Kiritsugu a bit. Mostly because he didn’t know who they were.

The boy had long brown hair, and looked like he’d escaped a college campus. Caucasian. He wore a green sweater and an expression of poorly-disguised terror.

The other man had dyed his hair red. Despite that, he was handsome enough. His movements somehow managed to be theatrical and delicate at the same time. He smiled a lot.

And then there was Kariya Matou. A reporter in a track suit. Oh, he’d bear watching. Information would be important in this sort of “competition”, and this man gathered it for a living.

Kiritsugu had heard rumors about an adoption deal between the Tohsaka and the Matou. A daughter. Some sort of “reserve vessel,” supposedly. He wondered how that little tidbit tied in with Kariya’s participation. If at all.

Irisviel squeezed his hand. He looked up, and realized that the “moderator” had finished ranting. Iri’s hand felt so warm...

…And it would stay that way. One way or another, the Emiya family would survive this nightmare.

Somehow.
    Last edited by Zalgo Jenkins; July 10th, 2013 at 11:08 PM.

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    .... you're actually doing it, you crazy bugger.

Very interesting start. Looking forward to see how this develops.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Citizen of the World TheInfamousMan's Avatar
    Man, this looks promising, especially with Kiritsugu being the only 'sane' person in the room, the other exceptions (maybe) being Kariya and Waver.

From how your describing Waver's behavior, its pretty obvious he dosent want to be there. Must have been a series of unfortunate events that landed the poor schmuck in the ritual.

Kariya on the other hand... You mentioned him being a reporter. He planning to expose the cult to help free Sakura?

Either way, this is promising.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

I didn't know what to think when I first saw this, but now I can say that it looks rather interesting.

Blog Entries
    I agree this does look rather interesting.

Wow what a crazy concept. Everyone is batshit insane and in some cult?! I'm curious about if the servants will have any significant role at all, or how they will be translated into real life. lol @ Kayneth's magic (LANDMINES).
    Go check out some awesome fan fiction!
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/forumdisplay.php/5-Fanfics
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../FateStayNight
    Because the remaining ten percent is worth dieing for.

Fortissimo EXA//Akkord:Bsusvier, Magi locked in a deadly battle royal. Sounds familiar right? Familiar and AWESOME.
    http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread...eo-Walkthrough

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FlameStrike View Post
    lol @ Kayneth's magic (LANDMINES).
    I'll have you know that the ancient power of money is a magic that even the King of Heroes sometime makes use of.

Wow what a crazy concept. Everyone is batshit insane and in some cult?! I'm curious about if the servants will have any significant role at all, or how they will be translated into real life.
    If I continue this, the Servants would probably "appear" in a slightly abstract way.

lol @ Kayneth's magic (LANDMINES).
    Could have been worse. At least he doesn't have an obese bodyguard named Mr. Mercury.

Blog Entries
    Ironic that Kayneth is slinging land mines when Kiritsugu's claymores gave him close to a rage stroke.

As for Servants, I can see Arturia as Iri's chauffeur/lady-in-waiting. Alexander might be Waver's old roommate who tagged along. Most of the others could be written as hired guns the Masters have brought on board a la Kiritsugu, but that's rather bland.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Wow what a crazy concept. Everyone is batshit insane and in some cult?! I'm curious about if the servants will have any significant role at all, or how they will be translated into real life.
    They just kidnap cosplayers and force them to fight to the death.
    Last edited by Bittersweet; July 11th, 2013 at 12:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Gilgamesh is clearly the guy sponsoring the event and Tokiomi is trying to gain his favor by sucking up to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    Ironic that Kayneth is slinging land mines when Kiritsugu's claymores gave him close to a rage stroke.

As for Servants, I can see Arturia as Iri's chauffeur/lady-in-waiting. Alexander might be Waver's old roommate who tagged along. Most of the others could be written as hired guns the Masters have brought on board a la Kiritsugu, but that's rather bland.
    Alex as Waver's insane friend and roommate in London. I like this idea...

Especially if he receives a frantic "HELP!" call from Waver at 2:00 AM or so. While drunk.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
    They just kidnap cosplayers and force them to fight to the death.
    You have no idea how much it pains me that I can't do this.

And Gilles is just Ryuunosuke's murderous best friend.
    Current Works:

Just an Unorthodox Thief (Fate/Zero-Lupin III Crossover) [Updated 7/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

A Different Kind of Truth (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Steel Ball Run/Persona 4 Crossover) [Updated 3/26/2017] TV Tropes Page

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalgo Jenkins View Post
    Alex as Waver's insane friend and roommate in London. I like this idea...

Especially if he receives a frantic "HELP!" call from Waver at 2:00 AM or so. While drunk.

- - - Updated - - -

You have no idea how much it pains me that I can't do this.
    ...What's stopping you?

Blog Entries
    So does this mean Kayneth is secretly in a love triangle with his old friend Diamuid?

...What's stopping you?
    Different tone, mostly. I could see regular black humor working, but your idea is too zany (albeit hilarious) to mesh with the atmosphere.

Though it deserves a oneshot of its own.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Kidnapping people and making them fight to the death isn't necessarily a silly and funny thing. Imagine actually collecting people from an anime convention and then putting them into a Saw-like situation. Goofy laughter? I think not.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbunk View Post
    So does this mean Kayneth is secretly in a love triangle with his old friend Diamuid?
    Maybe Diarmuid is an ex-IRA turned bodyguard that he hire for this job, only for his wife to fall to the guy.

Crap, now this isn't going to go away.
    Current Works:

Non-Nasuverse Fics:

Kidnapping people and making them fight to the death isn't necessarily a silly and funny thing. Imagine actually collecting people from an anime convention and then putting them into a Saw-like situation. Goofy laughter? I think not.
    Fair point, but I can't really see a reason for these people to choose anime convention members specifically.

I could probably invent a plausible reason, but it doesn't quite mesh with how I saw this one going. (Though I would like to reiterate: it really does deserve a oneshot of its own.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
    Maybe Diarmuid is an ex-IRA turned bodyguard that he hire for this job, only for his wife to fall to the guy.
    And fittingly enough, he's probably the one who rigged all the explosives.