Thread: Final Moments

Final Moments

Disclaimer: As usual, I do not own anything from the Nasuverse.

Final Moments

Arturia poured the boiling water in to the ceramic cup, and watched it change colour as it mixed with the tea leaves. The steam wafted gently as it rose from the surface of the liquid and the blonde woman stared at it as though hypnotised. The house was almost completely silent; all she could hear was the harsh ticking of the grandfather clock in the living room, as it counted down the seconds. She was in the grip of a deep melancholy, which wasn’t all that unusual these days, there had been a heavy atmosphere over the manor for a couple of years now; but since waking that morning she’d felt a sense of foreboding, like something terrible was lurking just around the corner.

Through the kitchen window she could see that the outside world was almost completely dark, the sun had almost finished setting and only a tiny hint of orange light was left. Neither the moon nor the stars were visible; the sky was covered by dark clouds.

Arturia dragged herself from her thoughts, and forced herself to finish making the tea. She carefully poured in just a tiny bit of milk and then added a small teaspoon of sugar. That done she lifted both cup and saucer from the table and left the room. She walked through the living room on her way towards the stairs, and wasn’t able to keep herself from casting a dark glare at that infernal clock as she passed. When she reached the base of the staircase she slowly, almost hesitantly began to climb. At the top she walked the short distance down the corridor to the master bedroom.

Inside was an old woman with long, grey hair down her back, sitting up in bed, propped against her pillows. Her eyes squinted behind the spectacles perched on her nose as she tried to read.

“Here you are, Rin,” Arturia said, walking over and handing her the cup and saucer.

The elderly magus look up at her, her faded blue eyes instantly recognised the Servant.

“Thank you, Saber,” she replied, laying her book down beside her and taking the offered drink carefully.

Arturia smiled, it looked like today may be a good day, even if Rin’s voice sounded frail and tired. Despite the obvious toll time had taken on her, Arturia fancied she could still see the girl the girl she had first met underneath.

“Saber, where did Shirou say he was going?” Rin asked and Arturia’s smile faltered.

“I – I’m not sure,” she replied because she wasn’t sure what else to say. The truth was Shirou was gone, almost ten years ago now.

“Hmph,” Rin snorted. “He’s pushing himself too hard again. We’ll have to talk to him when he gets back.”

“Indeed,” Arturia responded, making sure to keep her voice level and her features schooled. It was something she was used to doing, only now she was forcing a gentle smile rather than a stony stoicism.

A couple of seconds passed in silence as Rin took a sip of her tea before speaking again:

“This is very good, you’ve definitely improved Saber.”

“Thank you, Rin.”

“Is Natsuki asleep?”

You’re daughter is a grown woman and has been living in London for the past fifteen years, flitted through Arturia’s mind. Although she had made that phone call the other day, to let the younger woman know that… anyway, Natsuki should be arriving home any day now.

“She is,” she said aloud.

“Did you read her a story?”

Just how far back was Rin living?

“Naturally,” Arturia answered.

“She really likes your stories for some reason,” Rin said.

“Yes,” Arturia replied. Involuntarily her mind brought forth the memories of the occasions where she would put the Tohsaka heir to bed, the young girl’s eyes sparkling at her as she told her tales. She remembered how weird she had felt when the girl had asked her to read The Once and Future King, but those bright eyes had compelled her to open the book and start. The story had been more than a little ridiculous but Natsuki had seemed to enjoy it. For a second she didn’t need to force her smile but then it was over and the present returned.

She could feel the heat building behind her eyes but she clamped down on it, hard.

She chatted to Rin for another hour or so. The elderly magus continuously mentioned people who had long since passed on themselves, and made mention of events that had passed decades ago. She made mention of “that Edelfelt girl” once or twice. Eventually however her Master’s speech began to slow and she yawned quite loudly.

“It’s seems I’m a little tired.”

“Then you should sleep Rin,” Arturia replied. “Save your strength.”

“Yes, sleep. That sounds like a good idea,” she responded, placing her cup on the bedside table and laying her head down on her pillow.

Arturia waited a few minutes, until she could hear the rhythmic breathing that told her that Rin had fallen asleep, before rising to her feet. She picked up the book her Master had been reading off of the bed and made sure to carefully mark the page, before placing it back in its spot on the shelf. As she turned back around she caught sight of herself in the full-length mirror in the corner of the room.

She still looked exactly the same as the night she had first been summoned; the same green eyes, the same blonde hair, the same fair skin. There wasn’t a single wrinkle or blemish anywhere on her. It was a curse she had endured twice, to stay the same while everyone around her grew grey and old and decrepit. Last time had been easier in a way because she hadn’t had to live this long, last time she hadn’t had to see … to see this. Even Natsuki looked older than she did now.

Even thought she may not look it, she felt old. She felt tired and worn, as if with each new day she was living on less and less energy.

For a brief moment she felt the urge to march over to that mirror and lash out at her reflection. She quickly mastered herself. Instead she picked up the cup from where Rin had put it down and left the room. She returned to the kitchen and washed the dishes in the sink, scrubbing them more than she needed to simply for the sake of having a distraction.

That was when she felt it; the sudden emptiness inside her, as though she had just lost something important. She recognised immediately that she was no longer receiving any mana and she knew why. The burning behind her eyes started again but she ignored it, there was something she needed to do while she was still able.

She forced herself to march in to the living room and pick up the phone, determinedly ignoring the grandfather clock against the wall. She dialled the familiar number for Natsuki’s cell; the one piece of technology Shirou insisted his daughter learn how to use. She got the voice mail; she sighed, she would have liked to have one more conversation with that child. She left her message and placed the phone back in its cradle.

She climbed the stairs one more time and re-entered the bedroom and found exactly what she expected to. Rin still lay under her covers with her head upon the pillow, looking for all the world as though she was sleeping peacefully; but the sound of rhythmic breathing was gone and her chest was still. She stopped fighting the pressure behind her eyes.

Arturia stood at the side of the bed for a moment that seemed to last an eternity simply staring at her oldest friend, before finally leaning over and placing a tender kiss upon Rin’s brow. Then she retook her seat in the chair beside Rin’s bed, took hold of her friend’s still warm hand and waited patiently for the last of her mana to run out.

A few hours later there was no sign of life within the Tohsaka manor, apart from the ticking of a grandfather clock relentlessly counting down the seconds.

- Fin -
    Last edited by PhoenixAct; October 29th, 2013 at 10:26 AM.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Master of Hermione Alter Kieran's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wistful and sweet - the final epilogue to "Bundle of Joy," perhaps?

I liked it very much. Thank you.
    “Love will be cruel to who it entices — love will have its sacrifices.”

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Minor errors:

Tea leaves isn't a single word.

And-

“She really likes you’re stories for some reason,” Rin said.

Your, that's the possessive form of "you". You're is a contraction of "you are".

A lovely reminder of inevitable mortality. Rin somehow strikes me as the kind of person to age into a grumpy old man.

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    Beautiful and touching.

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    Wistful and sweet - the final epilogue to "Bundle of Joy," perhaps?

I liked it very much. Thank you.
    Until we get anything from it that contradicts this piece of work, it's my headcanon!

BTW, Bundle of Joy update when?

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyvale View Post
    Minor errors:

Tea leaves isn't a single word.

And-

“She really likes you’re stories for some reason,” Rin said.

Your, that's the possessive form of "you". You're is a contraction of "you are".

A lovely reminder of inevitable mortality. Rin somehow strikes me as the kind of person to age into a grumpy old man.
    Fixed.
    If you're going through hell, keep going. - Winston Churchill

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. - William Shakespeare

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GabrieliosP View Post
    Seconded.

Another Day At the Office Riven's Avatar
    "All men must die."

A melancholy truth, yet one that is somehow comforting. Excellent work.

Ever onwards. To stand still is to die. Rai Burnout's Avatar
    Time delivers us all to the same end. Death comes for all regardless of age or status. Beautiful, tragic with a touching ending, I give it 10 stars. Also Thirded for BOJ update.
    Last edited by Rai Burnout; October 28th, 2013 at 06:34 PM.
    People will make mistakes, its a fact of life. But if you don't try for fear of failing then you're making the biggest one of all.

So Live your life, you only get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    It couldn't have been more damsel in distress if when Ilya met them in the hall she had been dressed like Bowser.

JP Friend Code
    Todestrieb
    Blog Entries
    Of course, Saber is most probably headed for the Throne of Heroes. So, death is permanent for Shirou and Rin, but not quite so much for Arturia.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch-Magos Winter View Post
    Seconded.
    I may as well add a third voice.

Until we get anything from it that contradicts this piece of work, it's my headcanon!
    And I second this, as well.

— Carmilla Theme

"Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference."

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Ever onwards. To stand still is to die. Rai Burnout's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran View Post
    I may as well add a third voice.
    Already got third, you can have fourth
    People will make mistakes, its a fact of life. But if you don't try for fear of failing then you're making the biggest one of all.

So Live your life, you only get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    It couldn't have been more damsel in distress if when Ilya met them in the hall she had been dressed like Bowser.

Blog Entries
    That'll work.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Some nitpicks:

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixAct View Post
    For a brief moment she felt the urge to march oven to that mirror and lash out at her reflection.
    I assume that should be over, not oven. And you seem to overuse the world march, Maybe use stomp, stroll, or walk purposefully.

Other than that, I like it. A nice UBW final story.
    Last edited by Mattias; October 28th, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Dapper Deathwing YeOfLittleFaith's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gah. Stories like this get me right there.
    It must be the well written melancholy of the goodbye.

Good job.

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
    Not my fault Shirou is an awesome bro to lesbians.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YeOfLittleFaith View Post
    Gah. Stories like this get me right there.
    It must be the well written melancholy of the goodbye.
    Yeah, I know what you mean.

Good job.
    Absolutely.

— Carmilla Theme

―Jim Butcher, Vignette

Blog Entries
    Melancholic.
    If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
    If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim,
    If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster;
    And treat those two impostors just the same,

-Ruyard Kipling, "If"

-)|(-

My works [Updated June 21st, 2013]

"From a dusky world with an ever-setting sun, a limitless rain of Ryougi Shiki streaked down from gargantuan gears set in the sky." Fate: Over 9000, my best Crack yet.

JP Friend Code
    No one cares.
    Blog Entries
    Tea is surely nice.

"......"

Quote Originally Posted by Thedoctor View Post
    Why can't we all be as sexually devious as Renko?

Miscellaneous Info

Quote Originally Posted by Renko
    "I really loathe Fanfictions that are so horrendously horrible, it makes me want to go get my massive NAIL BAT OF RAPTURE and swing it real HARD to any AUTHOR who will dare create such filthy and disgusting piece of literature!"

"THEY WON'T SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY....THEY WILL SUFFER!"

Blog Entries
    That strange sadness when you read something well written and emotional that deals with character death. I'm feeling it right now. Very nicely done.

very nice...

Blog Entries
    In cases of old threads like this, we much prefer you to contact the author by VM or PM to talk to them, rather than digging up a thread just for yourself. Remember it in future, please?
    Beast's Lair: Useful Notes
    (Lightweight | PDF)
    Updated 01/01/15

If posts are off-topic, trolling, terrible or offensive, please allow me to do my job. Reporting keeps your forum healthy.
    Seika moderates: modly clarifications, explanations, Q&A, and the British conspiracy to de-codify BL's constitution.

Democracy on Beast's Lair